The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[IC] Apocalypse World: Welcome to the Jungle

2»

Posts

  • AladornAladorn Registered User regular
    edited August 30
    @TheySeeMeRollin

    Oh, you piece of... Grave's mind is a whirlwind of insults and want of doing harm, but he knows that Rainmaker has him by the jewels, and Grave needs to play nice.

    Grave talks a lot with his hands. He's very animated throughout his speech. "Look Maker, Paradise needs the Canopy. These folks need a distraction from the suck of the jungle. I give that to them. Paradise needs you. You get them the Cola. You and I, we're holding Paradise together. If either of us go, soon folks will move on to someplace wetter, or someplace that can distract them from the drudge. Why kill the milker when they're still milking? You're smarter than this. We work together. I let you be the only one trading Cola into the Canopy. No one else brings anything in, and you're the only one there to kill the thirst for the next few shows. In return, you give me and my crew enough Cola to refill our supply and get back on our feet."

    Take the deal you bastard.

    "We both win. My Canopy draws in all the holdings every night. People don't want to leave to go get Cola, they'll barter for it. On top of that folks now know Maker has the purest Cola out there... or you can piss that away for a few meals, but you and I know that you're smarter than that." Grave keeps a sly smile on his face. It's a good deal. He's got to take it.

    Geth, roll 2d6+2 for Manipulating Maker

    On a 7–9, they’ll go along with you, but they need some concrete assurance, corroboration, or evidence first.

    Manipulating Maker:
    2d6+2 9 [2d6=6, 1]

    Aladorn on
    Grave the Maestro D'
  • dragonslayer0429dragonslayer0429 Registered User regular
    edited August 30
    Geth, roll 2d6+1

    Is your character telling the truth?
    What's your character really feeling?
    What does your character intend to do?

    2d6+1 10 [2d6=3, 6]

    dragonslayer0429 on
    Amber the Battlebabe
  • TheySeeMeRollinTheySeeMeRollin The MC Registered User regular
    @Gnashing Maw
    Nix smiles. "I am very glad to hear that."

    She gives you the details. Her operation is decidedly small-batch - hardly surprising - but a little goes a long way. She says she can get you a couple of crates a month, maybe more if you can trade it faster. She offers to drop off shipments at the Canopy, since you seem to spend a lot of your time there anyway. At the end of her spiel, she reaches across the table for a handshake. "That sound good to you?"

    ooc: handwaving quantities so I don't have to sketch out post-industrial supply chains :P

    @PandaDad
    The bugs scatter out of your way when you move. Given that they were all over the door, you figure that it's safe to touch, as far as that goes. Now that the door is clear, you can see that the handle is rusted away, leaving a small, rust-clogged hole where it used to be. The hinges are long gone.

    ooc: Tell me how you try to get the door open and roll for Acting Under Fire (the "fire" in this case being that the door is rusted in place and not going to open without effort).

    @Aladorn
    The Rainmaker leans back in his seat, hand on his chin like he's thinking it over. He looks at you with narrowed eyes for a moment. Finally he leans forward and puts his elbows on the table. "Truth is, Grave, I don't need your business; and I got to think of my reputation. Word gets out I extended charity to the Canopy, that'll upset some of my customers. However, what I do need is able bodies to watch my collectors. You loan me a couple of your fighters for a few days a month, plus the usual fee, and I'll get you all the cola you need."

    Is he smirking? He might be smirking.

    @dragonslayer0429
    Is your character telling the truth?
    He hasn't actually said much, but he's not lying.
    What's your character really feeling?
    He's hoping you'll show up tonight, but he won't be too torn up if you don't.
    What does your character intend to do?
    He's going to keep walking the block, looking for people who look like they don't know what to do with themselves. He has no intention to harm you; if you show up at the Beetle, you won't be robbed or kidnapped or anything.

  • Gnashing MawGnashing Maw The Driver Registered User regular
    @TheySeeMeRollin
    Maw clasps her hand "Fine, but we keep this between ourselves, this extra jingle might attract the wrong kind of attention." Maw gets up and leaves;

    Maw The Driver
  • AladornAladorn Registered User regular
    @TheySeeMeRollin

    Oh you crafty piece of

    "Deal. Need the Cola t'night to cover tha show. I'll let my crew know yours is coming. I'll even throw in some good seats for yours if they want. Let it not be said Grave is not giving." Grave gives a low bow to Rainmaker.

    I'll get you back. Not you or anyone else is gonna stop me. I'll add yours to my Canopy as well soon enough.

    Grave turns and leaves (assuming Rainmaker doesn't stop him) and heads straight to the Canopy to make sure tonight's respectacle is ready and then he's going to head back into the holding to start advertising and looking into anyone who might want to try their hand at the Arena. He's also going to send a runner to find Amber and make his weekly offer to have her join his crew.

    Grave the Maestro D'
  • PandaDadPandaDad Registered User regular
    @TheySeeMeRollin

    Oh, this is so not good! Rustout! Fuck, fuck, fuckity fucksticks. And the hinges are out, too, which means that this door used to swing out into the room I'm in, which in turn means that trying to shake it loose is more likely to bring it down on my ass and make a fuckton of clatter at best. On the other hand...yeah, I gotta prybar in my bag of tools. Easy to make, easy to keep around, plenty of rebar still in these ruins when I need a new one, so I'm not real attached to any one of them. So jamming in through the hole and wiggling around to make sure I can find a bit of leverage and pulling like so and pushing like this and I can maybe wiggle the fucker open a bit.

    And yes, I'm trying to ignore the obvious suggestive implications of what I'm doing, because Mom had a really juvenile sense of humor about this stuff and if she was here to critique my doings she'd probably be giving me waaaaayyyyyy too much info about how Dad performed his manly duties. Yuck.

    Geth, roll 2d6+1 for Actin' Under Fire

    Actin' Under Fire:
    2d6+1 11 [2d6=5, 5]

    Spanner the Savvyhead
  • TheySeeMeRollinTheySeeMeRollin The MC Registered User regular
    @Gnashing Maw
    Nix gives you a nod and a satisfied smile and follows you out. She and her bodyguards leave the Canopy in an old flatbed pickup. She lets you keep both the flask and the lime, with a warning not to flash them around, "but it sounds like we're already on the same road, Maw."

    @Aladorn
    The Rainmaker offers you a cup of water before you go. Whether you take it or not, the same guards escort you back down the stairs and outside. There are already a couple of drums of cola being loaded onto a trailer hitched to a beat-up hauler. One of the loaders grins openly at you as you pass by. The Canopy is still standing when you get back: nothing else seems to have broken while you were gone, thank fuck.

    @PandaDad
    Brown dust falls out of the hole as you wiggle the prybar around. Eventually, with a racket of groans and metallic suffering, the door scrapes open far enough that you can slip the bar (or your hand, if you're feeling adventurous) between the door and the frame and lever it partway open.

    A red dot glows in the shadows.

    What's there, once you get your light on it, is a smooth, water-streaked canister maybe twice the size of your head, with a pinprick indicator light. You've heard of these things: little self-contained generators from before the Fall, powered by a radioactive core. They put out enough juice to run a few emergency lights, maybe a short-range radio beacon. They were built to run indefinitely and survive, well, an apocalypse. Whatever this one was attached to is long gone. It's heavy, but otherwise safe to handle.

  • PandaDadPandaDad Registered User regular
    Hot. Damn.

    Okay, this sort of makes the whole trip worth the trouble, right here! Assuming I can get this hotbox out of here in one piece without turning the entire holding into magic mushroom city. So I'm just going to have to take it with me, you understand. Take it home. Hook it up.

    Poor choice of words, as Mother would tell me. But the key feature is to get this lovely bit of power generation free, clear, and out of here!

    Spanner the Savvyhead
  • Gnashing MawGnashing Maw The Driver Registered User regular
    @TheySeeMeRollin

    Maw tears ass towards The Canopy, with a tide of Queen's greatest hits rolling in all directions. All the while chewing over everything Nix had told him.

    OOC: I'll be waiting at The Canopy observing all the somebodies that come in and out.

    Maw The Driver
  • AladornAladorn Registered User regular
    Grave gets back to the Canopy and directs his crew to load the water where it needs to. When one of the crew points out Maw, Grave sucks in some air, tries to find his center, then decides to fuck that and just go chat with the Driver.

    "Maw, always the pleasure. Tell me ancient one, what sights have you seen in the Outside?"

    Grave the Maestro D'
  • TheySeeMeRollinTheySeeMeRollin The MC Registered User regular
    @PandaDad
    How are you moving the generator?

  • Gnashing MawGnashing Maw The Driver Registered User regular
    @Aladorn

    "A lota salt mate, Grave how are ya now?" Maw extends his hand to be shook
    "I need to have discussions with you in privet."

    Maw The Driver
  • AladornAladorn Registered User regular
    @Gnashing Maw

    "Of course ancient."

    Grave reaches and takes Maw's arm and they shake once, as is their custom.

    "Follow, to the top. We can talk there."


    Grave leads Maw to Grave's personal room. It's the only place Grave can be assured that no prying ears can hear him. Grave also turns on the gidget that Spanner built for him a while ago. White noise he called it. Helps muffle everything.

    "I'm in a bind, ancient. I gots debts breathing down my neck and I'm getting too close to actually making something of myself to give in. I need to get some muscle... not you, ancient, no harm, no harm... but I do need you to get me to the muscle. No one in the holding will go against my debts, so I need some outsiders. Think you know a place you can get me something I need?"

    Grave the Maestro D'
  • Gnashing MawGnashing Maw The Driver Registered User regular
    edited October 28
    @Aladorn
    Maw puts his hands in his pockets and inclines his head.
    "Right, leave that to me, i'll get so many bodies you don't know what to do with'em."
    Maw turns away from Grave

    Gnashing Maw on
    Maw The Driver
  • PandaDadPandaDad Registered User regular
    So now it's down to my handy-dandy all-purpose toolbox and a little old fashioned savvyhead know-how to get this thing safely disconnected so I can haul...

    Oh. Yeah, gonna have to find another way back to the surface. This won't be easy to get out the way I came in. Nuts. Still, nothing ventured, nothing gained! And this is a pretty sweet prize.

    So the long way around will have to do, even if it will take a while to get there. Man-portable does not mean it isn't a workout.

    Spanner the Savvyhead
2»
Sign In or Register to comment.