As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[PAX] South is over, now we're dreaming up a new PAX (see form on p56)

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular
    Maddoc wrote: »
    We just drink at one bar until they stop selling to Aphostile instead

I'll keep saying it, but this was a perfect moment.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    A couple things:

A) Yes a few of us like to get a little (lotta) blotto at PAX. This is not expected of anyone who joins us nor do we expect you to put up with us.

B) I WASNT EVEN THE ONLY ONE BUYING SHOTS LIKE THAT.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    immediately afterwards i bought everyone else shots

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    AphostileAphostile San Francisco, CARegistered User regular
    Also also we only tried to scale the Alamo one time, which is when @Lost Salient was there.

Clearly SHE is the bad influence on all of us.

Nothing. Matters.
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular
    The best bad influence

• Options
    TonkkaTonkka Some one in the club tonight Has stolen my ideas.Registered User regular
    *sigh*

Steam: evilumpire Battle.net: T0NKKA#1588 PS4: T_0_N_N_K_A Twitter Art blog/Portfolio! Twitch?! HEY SATAN Shirts and such
  • Options
    Lost SalientLost Salient blink twice if you'd like me to mercy kill youRegistered User regular
    Aphostile wrote: »
    Also also we only tried to scale the Alamo one time, which is when @Lost Salient was there.

Clearly SHE is the bad influence on all of us.

N... no, that doesn't check out, I definitely haven't ever encouraged anyone to climb the Alamo drink manhattans out of a coffee mug in the middle of the night in the middle of the street steal a shrubbery make bad decisions.

RUVCwyu.jpg
    "Sandra has a good solid anti-murderer vibe. My skin felt very secure and sufficiently attached to my body when I met her. Also my organs." HAIL SATAN
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Yeah, I definitely don't not recall any of that at all.

In other news, I'll be at this thing! The new date is kind of sneaking up on me.

ASimPerson on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I am excited like it's this week, which makes Unplugged being this weekend a little bittersweet. Wish I could go, but I'm planning on catching as many panels as I can.

• Options
    Desert LeviathanDesert Leviathan Registered User regular
    Honestly, if you all want to join the Unplugged GroupMe and get your vicarious fix, there's only two of us in there so far. I'd be happy to be your guy on location funneling info back about whatever you want me to investigate.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    http://truedungeon.com/pax-south

For those who enjoyed True Dungeon last year, the good news is they're doing the full 2 hour True Dungeon experience this year rather than last year's sample. Also for PAX South they're working with Pat Rothfuss and theming the dungeon within the Fae of his fantasy world and apparently featuring a known character of his. The bad news is that it now costs $38 and tickets go on sale in advance, starting Dec 3rd.

• Options
    MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Flights are booked, the time swiftly approaches.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I'm down to do that.

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    http://truedungeon.com/pax-south

For those who enjoyed True Dungeon last year, the good news is they're doing the full 2 hour True Dungeon experience this year rather than last year's sample. Also for PAX South they're working with Pat Rothfuss and theming the dungeon within the Fae of his fantasy world and apparently featuring a known character of his. The bad news is that it now costs $38 and tickets go on sale in advance, starting Dec 3rd.

I don't know if I necessarily enjoyed what they had last year

But it was interesting and kind of diabolical in a "Live action microtransaction" kind of way

• Options
    I also don't know what True Dungeon is but if it's LARP'ing then I might look further.

• Options
    So if I do another Thursday D&D session, who would be interested this year?

Probably 2 hours, 6 players max, characters at 5th level. Everybody gets One +1 weapon or piece of armor, up to two other magic doodads of no greater than uncommon value, around 200 GP, and two basic healing potions.

Forgotten Realms, but the kind of Forgotten Realms where I don't actually give a crap about the setting itself and would set it in some corner of the map you've never heard of because I made it up, but I just needed an answer to what list Clerics should pick their god from.

Realizing lately that I don't really trust or respect basically any of the moderators here. So, good luck with life, friends! Hit me up on Twitter @DesertLeviathan
  • Options
    joshofalltradesjoshofalltrades Class Traitor Smoke-filled roomRegistered User regular

Probably 2 hours, 6 players max, characters at 5th level. Everybody gets One +1 weapon or piece of armor, up to two other magic doodads of no greater than uncommon value, around 200 GP, and two basic healing potions.

Forgotten Realms, but the kind of Forgotten Realms where I don't actually give a crap about the setting itself and would set it in some corner of the map you've never heard of because I made it up, but I just needed an answer to what list Clerics should pick their god from.

I might be down for this. Which Edition? It’s been a very long time since I’ve made a character.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    I will absolutely play D&D

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options

I might be down for this. Which Edition? It’s been a very long time since I’ve made a character.

5E. And if you don't want to dig into the books yourself, you can always throw a concept at me and I'll put them on paper for you!

I've done this at all three previous PAX Souths, with varying degrees of success, and it's a tradition I'd like to sustain. But this year I won't overshoot by opening the table to a million people like year two, or by trying to do more than just the one session like year three.

• Options
    I have not played D&D in so many years and would probably only know enough to add bonuses, roll dice, and get in character.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Madican wrote: »
    I also don't know what True Dungeon is but if it's LARP'ing then I might look further.

Truedungeon is like an escape room mixed with a tabletop game

last year they had like, a two room demo. It was... neat? But very short.

If it's been expanded I'd LOVE to try that again

I need more pictures of @Stilts in front of a giant lava worm

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

5E. And if you don't want to dig into the books yourself, you can always throw a concept at me and I'll put them on paper for you!

I've done this at all three previous PAX Souths, with varying degrees of success, and it's a tradition I'd like to sustain. But this year I won't overshoot by opening the table to a million people like year two, or by trying to do more than just the one session like year three.

The second game you ran at 2017 South is one of my favorite memories of that con, and I'd love to be able to make it next year, but it's just not in the cards unfortunately.
    Hope you have fun.

• Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    also @NeoToma I am super excited to hear you are going and cant wait to buy you a drink

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    I have not played D&D in so many years and would probably only know enough to add bonuses, roll dice, and get in character.

5E is pretty streamlined, if you want to give it a shot. If you play a non-spellcaster, it would be as easy as you telling me roughly what you want to do, and me telling you what modifier from your sheet to add to a d20 roll, for 90% of interactions.

It's probably the strongest virtue of D&D 5E, that they've tried to keep it light and simple so that new players aren't frightened off by anything like 2E and earlier's system hodgepodge, 3E's massive supplement bloat, or 4E's fairly intimidating tactical complexity.

• Options
    Do you have alignment guidelines?

• Options

Be at least vaguely heroic. Alignment in 5E isn't super baked into how spells and divine abilities work any more, so I don't worry about it much. Just try not to bring a team-killing dick to my table, that's all I really ask.

• Options

5E is pretty streamlined, if you want to give it a shot. If you play a non-spellcaster, it would be as easy as you telling me roughly what you want to do, and me telling you what modifier from your sheet to add to a d20 roll, for 90% of interactions.

It's probably the strongest virtue of D&D 5E, that they've tried to keep it light and simple so that new players aren't frightened off by anything like 2E and earlier's system hodgepodge, 3E's massive supplement bloat, or 4E's fairly intimidating tactical complexity.

I can definitely do that. Does 5E still have the Hexblade? I enjoyed the little I got to play of the class in 4E with "teleporting" in the middle of combat. Also CHA-based physical fighter that worked without needing to have a ton of house rules like the time I decided I really wanted to play a CHA Paladin.

• Options

Be at least vaguely heroic. Alignment in 5E isn't super baked into how spells and divine abilities work any more, so I don't worry about it much. Just try not to bring a team-killing dick to my table, that's all I really ask.

I was thinking along the lines of a charismatic, “ends-justify-the-means” spy. Think that would fit somehow? Or should I go back to the drawing board?

• Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular

I can definitely do that. Does 5E still have the Hexblade? I enjoyed the little I got to play of the class in 4E with "teleporting" in the middle of combat. Also CHA-based physical fighter that worked without needing to have a ton of house rules like the time I decided I really wanted to play a CHA Paladin.

It does now that Xanathar's Guide is out. It's a flavor of Warlock.
    Here's the UA where it was beta tested: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
    Might be a bit different now though.

• Options

It's in the Xanthar's Guide, the newest book. I don't have it yet, but I will by then. I know Rainfall has a copy if you want to know exactly how it shakes out compared to the beta test version in the Unearthed Arcana article.

I was thinking along the lines of a charismatic, “ends-justify-the-means” spy. Think that would fit somehow? Or should I go back to the drawing board?

Oh yeah, that's absolutely fine!

• Options
    see317 wrote: »

It does now that Xanathar's Guide is out. It's a flavor of Warlock.
    Here's the UA where it was beta tested: https://media.wizards.com/2017/dnd/downloads/20170213_Wizrd_Wrlck_UAv2_i48nf.pdf
    Might be a bit different now though.

Huh, either I was playing something completely different or the DM did some major flavor text adaption. I was basically a rogue with some minor martial magic (mostly ice-related as a Winter Court-aligned soul) who could teleport every now and then to get a better vantage.

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    Since I'm still in Texas pooka talked me into coming this year as long as I'm still around

So, what's good

• Options
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Since I'm still in Texas pooka talked me into coming this year as long as I'm still around

So, what's good

Short version: bar trivia Thursday, Friday possibly boring pax? Not sure, Saturday Korean karaoke. Sunday who knows what

• Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    I'll prolly get my tickets closer to convention time, how're those looking like right now?

• Options
    Http://south.paxsite.com says all badges still have availability currently

• Options
    Goose! wrote: »

So, what's good

Short version: bar trivia Thursday, Friday possibly boring pax? Not sure, Saturday Korean karaoke. Sunday who knows what

Was Friday BoringPAX last year? I thought maybe it was Saturday off the top of my head.

Was definitely the highlight for me though.

• Options
    ZonugalZonugal (He/Him) The Holiday Armadillo I'm Santa's representative for all the southern states. And Mexico!Registered User regular

So, what's good

Was Friday BoringPAX last year? I thought maybe it was Saturday off the top of my head.

It was Friday because a good chunk of us were HUNGOVER from Thursday night.

Ross-Geller-Prime-Sig-A.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    w
    Zonugal wrote: »

So, what's good

It was Friday because a good chunk of us were HUNGOVER from Thursday night.

which DID NOT stop us from buying beers left and right from the hotel lobby

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    i still need to figure out lodging. i was hoping for airbnb in Southtown somewhere...

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

It's in the Xanthar's Guide, the newest book. I don't have it yet, but I will by then. I know Rainfall has a copy if you want to know exactly how it shakes out compared to the beta test version in the Unearthed Arcana article.

Oh yeah, that's absolutely fine!

Oh shit, I was looking at a fanmade chart of the races and their stat bonuses, and apparently an Unearthed Arcana brought the minotaur back as a playable race? Hell yeah I'm gonna make a minotaur storm barbarian!

IKknkhU.gif