As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Network drive is empty

WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
I'm trying to access a (work) network drive from home on my MacBook (v10.12.5).

I can successfully connect to the VPN (casa1.wfubmc.edu) using Cisco AnyConnect. The folder location I am trying to access is in "\\medctr\dfs\radsm1$\radmin" which I can't map to directly. I can't connect to "medctr" while off campus, even through the VPN (though I can connect to "medctr.ad.wfubmc.edu"). However, I pinged the server from an on-campus computer to get the IP address (172.16.5.238) and I can "Connect to Server" using it. Once the server connects and I put in my login credentials, I then mount the "DFS" drive and navigate to the folder "radsm1$."

But that folder is empty.

Any ideas?

When I am on-campus and connected to the network directly, I can navigate to the folder and see its contents.

• Options
    AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    has this ever worked before?

when you're on the work network are you using the same computer, or a different one... perhaps a windows box logged in with work credentials?

Aioua on
    life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
  • Options
    No, but I've just started trying to get it to work.

When I am on the work network I am using the same computer. (I use other computers too, but I am able to access the drive with my laptop on the work network)

• Options
    dispatch.odispatch.o Registered User regular
    Could it be an issue you need to take up with IT of your school?

I know our VPN doesn't have access to everything, though it let's us on most of the intranet. Lot's of permission warnings and empty folders if you poke around.

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    My guess is that you have two problems:

1) your VPN connection doesn't grant you domain access to that server
    2) connecting through the Mac finder via IP does not pass your domain login credentials to the server, so you have no permissions to Read the folder. I bet if you tried to Create a text file it would fail as well.

spool32 on
  • Options
    dispatch.o wrote: »
    Could it be an issue you need to take up with IT of your school?

I'm working that avenue as well. It's just an issue that's at the bottom of the priority list for them. It took about a week to get an IT guy to take a stab at it. We thought we had it working, but when I tried from home that night, no dice.

spool32 wrote: »
    My guess is that you have two problems:

1) your VPN connection doesn't grant you domain access to that server
    2) connecting through the Mac finder via IP does not pass your domain login credentials to the server, so you have no permissions to Read the folder. I bet if you tried to Create a text file it would fail as well.

My amateur troubleshooting of this problem via Dr. Google leads me to a few different possible problems.
    1. Apparently OS X doesn't like samba much.
    2. The behavior sounds like a DNS problem, but I can't find a way to change my VPN settings.

Is there a way to find the VPN profile settings in AnyConnect so I can input them into a manual VPN program (and try some changes)?

• Options
    spool32spool32 Contrary Library Registered User regular
    Not to my knowledge. Your best bet is to talk to your sysadmins to get permission to access the network resource through VPN.

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    At my work we occasionally had similar issues with people VPNing in caused by Cox having overly "helpful" DNS servers. For most of our servers when the default DNS lookup failed, instead of handing it off to the VPN to try, it would bring back one of those "did you mean to search for" pages.

Which is understandable for web stuff, but it managed to interfere with share drives and outlook as well.

We worked around by instructing the users in how to get into their routers config and change the DNS servers to a different set that weren't so stupid.

Since you are able to find it with the fully qualified domain name, i too am leaning towards a DNS issue. The empty folder when mapping it by IP address might an issue with hitting the server directly bypassing the dfs layer?
    I'm just spitballing at that point though.

steam_sig.png