As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Wrestling] Summerslam 2017: Wherein a member of 3MB is in the WWE Championship match

• Options
    MagellMagell Detroit Machine Guns Fort MyersRegistered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »
    I'm glad you included that video Sweeney or I would've had to google Petey Williams to remind myself who he is.

Because that move is the only reason anybody cares about him.

What about when he was mini-Scott Steiner?

• Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    If they seriously derailed a mitb winner over tweets then this company is fucking filled with idiots. Oh wait.

I do appreciate that they managed to keep that cash-in botch completely in character for Corbin. There was nothing in those proceedings that didn't fall under the category of 'shit Baron Corbin does routinely even during NXT.'

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
    Steam ID XBL: JohnnyChopsocky PSN:Stud_Beefpile WiiU:JohnnyChopsocky
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Xehalus wrote: »
    so rumor is Baron buried himself on twitter with the Meltzer thing and other stuff

Not sure what this is about but any rumor that comes after the fact feels way more like guessing
    Considering how much rumors already seem like guessing...

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Magell wrote: »
    I'm glad you included that video Sweeney or I would've had to google Petey Williams to remind myself who he is.

Was honestly hoping he came back as that

Shame he came back right after Scott left

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Braun on where his feud with Reigns can go from here:
    I feel like the next match we're going to have is going to be on top of a volcano, and the only way to win is to throw your opponent into the volcano.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    David_T wrote: »
    Braun on where his feud with Reigns can go from here:
    I feel like the next match we're going to have is going to be on top of a volcano, and the only way to win is to throw your opponent into the volcano.

Good thing the WWE signed the Hardys, they have one in their backyard.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    Johnny ChopsockyJohnny Chopsocky Scootaloo! We have to cook! Grillin' HaysenburgersRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I know several people in this thread often have (IMO completely unjustified given the last year's wrestling events) hate for Roman Reigns, but even they have to admit that putting him and Braun in a program together was one of the best ideas WWE's had in a long time.

Johnny Chopsocky on
    ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    What did exactly Corbin do on twitter?

I read something about mouthing off to a veteran?

• Options
    Kyougu wrote: »

Called out Dave on Twitter
    When Dave responded, he said "what do you know, YOU'VE NEVER WRESTLED" (classic bad defense, how could someone ever criticize something if they've never done it. People did the same with Ebert re: making films)
    Soldier comes to Dave's defense
    Corbin says "what do you know lol, what have you ever done with your life? NOTHING"
    Soldier tweets pic of himself in uniform with other soldiers, standing next to Corbin's actual boss (Vince)
    Corbin immediately apologizes

• Options
    KyouguKyougu Registered User regular
    Hahahaha.

Wow. That is some shitty ass luck.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    Magell wrote: »

Little Petey Pump!

That was awesome.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular

When Dave responded, he said "what do you know, YOU'VE NEVER WRESTLED" (classic bad defense, how could someone ever criticize something if they've never done it. People did the same with Ebert re: making films)
    Corbin says "what do you know lol, what have you ever done with your life? NOTHING"
    Soldier tweets pic of himself in uniform with other soldiers, standing next to Corbin's actual boss (Vince)

Yeah, it was innocent enough, no way for Corbin to know that a stupid internet argument would go that badly. That being said just out of fear of anti military publicity, and as a lesson about how to handle social media as a face of the company, I could see them pulling the MiB case as a knee jerk reaction. I doubt that it is the kind of thing that would permanently result in being pushed down the card, but I could totally see WWE in light of how quickly people react to negative press going overboard and pulling him back for a while.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    Hawkstone wrote: »

Yeah, it was innocent enough, no way for Corbin to know that a stupid internet argument would go that badly. That being said just out of fear of anti military publicity, and as a lesson about how to handle social media as a face of the company, I could see them pulling the MiB case as a knee jerk reaction. I doubt that it is the kind of thing that would permanently result in being pushed down the card, but I could totally see WWE in light of how quickly people react to negative press going overboard and pulling him back for a while.

There's been enough stuff about how Corbin's acted backstage to people, and how talent's responded to him both backstage and on social media, that I'm not at all under the impression that this was the Only thing that made upper management sour on him, more like the last straw

• Options
    HjorvarthrHjorvarthr Registered User regular
    Susannnn

• Options
    HawkstoneHawkstone Don't sweat the petty things, and don't pet the sweaty things. Somewhere outside of BarstowRegistered User regular
    Hawkstone wrote: »

There's been enough stuff about how Corbin's acted backstage to people, and how talent's responded to him both backstage and on social media, that I'm not at all under the impression that this was the Only thing that made upper management sour on him, more like the last straw

Certainly could be an Enzo like situation...Seems like he might be given a chance to rebuild after a cooling off period though. Miz went through something like this.

Inside of a dog...it's too dark to read.
  • Options
    crwthcrwth THAT'S IT Registered User regular
  • Options
    blaze_zeroblaze_zero Registered User regular
  • Options
    SproutSprout Registered User regular
    crwth wrote: »

Oh snap, it's a prequel.

• Options
    AlphaRomeroAlphaRomero Registered User regular
    Corbin hasn't changed minds that fast, he only won MITB recently, and that soldier tweet didn't get any kind of actual mainstream attention so I'm HOPING it's a storyline bit because squandering the MITB for the next like 10 months and leaving just Carmella who I love but will be the female KO, only ever winning with Ellsworth's help, it's not a good look for what is, as evidenced by Rollins' cash in, a brilliant gimmick.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    The thing is, they kinda have to do something like this with the MitB briefcase once in a while. Otherwise it's like nearfalls, if you never win with a move, it's not actually a near fall when someone kicks out.

If every cash-in is a coronation, then the suspense ends with the opening bell, not with the winning fall. That doesn't help Corbin, who might very well have lost it because of backstage heat, but sometimes someone looking bad is best for business.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    The thing is, they kinda have to do something like this with the MitB briefcase once in a while. Otherwise it's like nearfalls, if you never win with a move, it's not actually a near fall when someone kicks out.

If every cash-in is a coronation, then the suspense ends with the opening bell, not with the winning fall. That doesn't help Corbin, who might very well have lost it because of backstage heat, but sometimes someone looking bad is best for business.
    Yeah but he looked so fucking bad

Like, worse than Sandow did

Dude got distracted by John Cena and then rolled up (without any other offense) by Jinder Mahal

I agree they need folks to lose but for a guy who is so built on being big and scary they just totally cut the legs out from Corbin pretty heavily

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I think Ziggler's run had him nearly cash in a lot only to get taken out. But ultimately the MITB should be ending with a coronation or setting up some kind of dream match.

So in an Austin/Bryan against the authority era, it gets them that title match in advance when they cash it in to add themselves to an existing match that otherwise they can't get at, or that Ziggler on Del Rio cash in. There is still suspense because it can fail, but treat it like they just did with Corbin and it becomes as worthless as the Andre Battle Royale.

• Options
    Like I said, he may well have lost it because of backstage heat. Hardly the first time we've seen this company decide that someone needs to be "humbled" before they can really get a push. Or it might be a step in a storyline that we haven't seen the rest of yet. Maybe Cena gets time off to film Transformers because Corbin is incensed that he got chumped because of Cena and puts him out in a big way.

I'm just saying that this won't actually hurt the Money in the Bank gimmick, because the MitB gimmick needs stuff like this from time to time.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    no way he looked worse than sandow, who beat the shit out of cena for like five minutes before losing to him clean

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    no way he looked worse than sandow, who beat the shit out of cena for like five minutes before losing to him clean
    I would argue falling for the most obvious distraction in the world, one he literally kept looking over his shoulder at the entire time the cash in was getting set up, and then getting pinned clean, no-tights, no extra leverage, etc. Is worse myself

He looks like The Worlds Biggest Idiot who also can't kick out of a pin attempt by an exhausted dude who just got beat up by John Cena

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    Crippl3Crippl3 oh noRegistered User regular
    Just finished episode 2 of the new Southpaw series
    The Old Spice ads are weird. The product is definitely way more recognizable as something modern, doesn't fit well.
    Also, holy shit Miz Adam Dung is great, and I would unironically love to see Daniel Bryan try to wrestle himself.

• Options
    Crippl3 wrote: »
    Just finished episode 2 of the new Southpaw series
    The Old Spice ads are weird. The product is definitely way more recognizable as something modern, doesn't fit well.
    Also, holy shit Miz Adam Dung is great, and I would unironically love to see Daniel Bryan try to wrestle himself.

I'm taking the whole booking of Rene Beret as a (not terribly) subtle dig at Jinder's booking.

• Options
    EvilBadmanEvilBadman DO NOT TRUST THIS MAN Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Hey kids, you like SCORES, right?

1 Invectivus 261 72.50%
    2 Dyvim Tvar 260 72.22%
    3 Masamune42 259 71.94%
    4 Bigdaddydowd 252 70.00%
    5 Sprout 250 69.44%
    6 AlphaRomero 248 68.89%
    7 Legacy 242 67.22%
    8 hailtothekale 241 66.94%
    9 Radius 234 65.00%
    10 Hjorvarthr 228 63.33%
    11 Lnrt87 227 63.06%
    12 David_T 223 61.94%
    13 Nirya 222 61.67%
    14 Grobian 218 60.56%
    15 mjn6172 216 60.00%
    16 wirehead26 214 59.44%
    17 MyNameIsWalrus 213 59.17%
    18 PwnanObrien 211 58.61%
    19 Bloodsheed 210 58.33%
    20 Crippl3 203 56.39%
    20 ChillyWilly 203 56.39%
    22 411Randle 202 56.11%
    23 Skwigelf 201 55.83%
    23 Variable 201 55.83%
    25 Xehalus 196 54.44%
    Full Standings

Expect the prediction sheet later today with a phantom NXT pick 'em (in that they will not be part of the season standings).

EvilBadman on
    FyreWulff wrote: »
    I should note that Badman is fucking awesome
    XBL- Evil Badman; Steam- EvilBadman; Twitter - EvilBadman
  • Options
    ah not a good season for ol crwth

EzUAYcn.png
  • Options
    I'm amazed I'm that high, I'm sure I had a trainwreck at one of the last 2 PPVs.

• Options

Sandow got in offense in his failed cash-in, and lasted longer than 6 or 7 seconds. He absolutely looked better

• Options
    edited August 2017
    EvilBadman wrote: »
    Hey kids, you like SCORES, right?
    20 Crippl3 203 56.39%
    20 ChillyWilly 203 56.39%

@ChillyWilly
    Does this mean we're tag partners now, or are we bitter rivals

Crippl3 on
  • Options
    ReynoldsReynolds Gone Fishin'Registered User regular
    blaze_zero wrote: »

This is classic WWE. One shirt for a reasonable price was fine. Now there's like five, higher prices, and there's special boxes, some cups, hats, random crap, etc.

I haven't watched yet, did they drop the advertisements in the middle? I assume that's where they made most of their money last time, and now that they know it's popular they want to maximize the merch.

uyvfOQy.png
  • Options
    Reynolds wrote: »
    blaze_zero wrote: »

This is classic WWE. One shirt for a reasonable price was fine. Now there's like five, higher prices, and there's special boxes, some cups, hats, random crap, etc.

I haven't watched yet, did they drop the advertisements in the middle? I assume that's where they made most of their money last time, and now that they know it's popular they want to maximize the merch.

No, now it's Old Spice ads instead of KFC. They seem to be shorter, though I've only watched the first two episodes.

• Options
    Most of that merch seems pretty good to me

I really wanna buy Showdown at the Swamp and Malibu Al shirts

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    I would like to see, not more than once every year or two, an episode of Smackdown just replaced with Southpaw. No one acknowledges that this happens before or after, it's not promoted as anything special. Hell, do it in an empty arena, it would fit Southpaw's whole aesthetic.

• Options
    Blankzilla wrote: »

Yeah but he looked so fucking bad

Like, worse than Sandow did

Dude got distracted by John Cena and then rolled up (without any other offense) by Jinder Mahal

I agree they need folks to lose but for a guy who is so built on being big and scary they just totally cut the legs out from Corbin pretty heavily

And yet, it was all absolutely in character for petulant turdbag Baron Corbin, which has always been his character.

ygPIJ.gif
  • Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    TJ Perkins as a charisma black hole will always be hilarious because it's too on the nose.

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I am offended that I am in 9th place considering my picking strategy.

Radius on
    Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
This discussion has been closed.