As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    danx wrote: »
    Noggin wrote: »
    Man, I just... I can't believe I'm already feeling done with this season.

Necro is so fun to level, and a lot of it's skills are enjoyable, but it's set and item design is horrendous. It's even worse than I thought now that I don't have my nonseason paragon levels to make up for shortcomings.

Running around getting one shot with 20k toughness when you have enough damage to mow through gr75+ is just wrong.

This is where I'm at too. I can't get the gear to transition away from my current build but am quite sick of getting one shot. Even playing super careful something jumps on me and I'm dead. Take a tick of freezing orb crystal? Dead. I have over 40m toughness with bone armor at 10 stacks and I just die.

I really enjoy the class abilities but being instagibbed is not fun at all.

I had a bit of success in torment farming by switching to archers and devour aura instead of the satiate or cannibalize.

Less skills and essence to manage = more time to focus on staying alive.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Necro is a little meh for me - should I revisit Barb's for the first time in a while? Or go back to monk (did monk/dh last time)?

• Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Ive been doing okay staying alive by usingbthe decrepify belt and ammy that gives more bone armor stacks. I switched my command skellies to life leech. Sometimes i do still die but usually its my own fault.

For normal rifts i will use goldwrap on top of this

My bigger problem is i still dont have the mage ring and i also think i just plain hate the rathma set.

• Options
    Thankfully Tragoul and Inarius are more fun and have more options.

• Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    Really starting to get the one shot rage. Near one shot a rift guardian but a normal skeleton archer one shots me? Good grief.

• Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    Succubi and some other stupid monsters can easily 1 shot my DH, but I can survive a hit or two from the RG. It seems stupid, but thems the breaks.

I may have to change to impale build shortly just to push past a 70 so I can unlock the primal drops :D

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    MillMill Registered User regular
    Well, I want to do a vault run before I step foot in GRs. I figure I'll need a lvl 50 boon anyways for the gold conquest, so I'll be set if the game gives me shit gems for the build I settle on for my first few runs. Gonna try rathma for a bit, but wondering if I should start keeping an eye for specific pieces for other builds.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    My only issues are less with the archers and more with those stupidass goat men who auto-target you with spears regardless of what pets you have up. Or better yet, those fucking winged assassins and catmen who spawn in packs of six and all leap at you from across the screen for unavoidable damage because good design.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Anyone else getting the game freezing up for a few seconds to minutes and then it going away?

I'm hoping the maintenance tomorrow fixes it.

• Options
    PoketpixiePoketpixie Siege Registered User regular
    I was having some issues yesterday with it freezing up as I was trying to log in. Had to reboot each time it happened.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    My only issues are less with the archers and more with those stupidass goat men who auto-target you with spears regardless of what pets you have up. Or better yet, those fucking winged assassins and catmen who spawn in packs of six and all leap at you from across the screen for unavoidable damage because good design.

Yep, pretty much you nailed all of the famous "one shotters" in D3. Oh you also forgot the wonderful wasp looking things spewing out baby wasps that flit to your death. Oh and everybody's favorite... Demon Forge.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    BeastwizardBeastwizard Registered User regular
    Anyone play Hardcore? I've been playing HC since Diablo II, and I just can't go back to Softcore anymore...

• Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    nah, HC clashes very hard with the gameplay designed around pushing grifts

• Options
    There's only like 2 or 3 clan members that regularly play HC in a fresh season, and just like SC players they quickly disappear.

• Options
    Le_GoatLe_Goat Frechified Goat Person BostonRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    HC is too stressful. It's a ton of fun, but I like to relax by mindlessly slaying hundreds of demons with zero stress. And I mean totally mindless. During my surgery recovery, I couldn't focus on any game due to the pain medication, except for Diablo 3. I played it for about 13 hours a day while being stuck on a couch for 2 weeks.

Le_Goat on
    While I agree that being insensitive is an issue, so is being oversensitive.
  • Options
    The female necro looks unintentionally adorable when using Bone Armor, like she's stuffed into one of those barely ambulatory theme park mascot costumes.

• Options
    BrodyBrody The Watch The First ShoreRegistered User regular
    I have a couple of friends that play HC, and granted we don't win any GR titles, but its fun, and SC feels boring once you get used to the "if I die this character is gone" feeling.

"I will write your name in the ruin of them. I will paint you across history in the color of their blood."

The Monster Baru Cormorant - Seth Dickinson

Steam: Korvalain
  • Options
    BladeXBladeX Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Le_Goat wrote: »
    HC is too stressful. It's a ton of fun, but I like to relax by mindlessly slaying hundreds of demons with zero stress. And I mean totally mindless. During my surgery recovery, I couldn't focus on any game due to the pain medication, except for Diablo 3. I played it for about 13 hours a day while being stuck on a couch for 2 weeks.

Agreed, the season came at a great time, been dealing with some personal shit and the mindless fun was just the distraction I needed. If I want perma death I'll play a roguelike that's balanced around that mechanic so when I die I know it's my fault and not some bullshit one shot from halfway across the map.

Now if they made one season gift available to SC and another available to HC I might give it a shot.

EDIT: Plus I still need to git gud.

BladeX on
  • Options
    see317see317 Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    BladeX wrote: »
    Le_Goat wrote: »

Agreed, the season came at a great time, been dealing with some personal shit and the mindless fun was just the distraction I needed. If I want perma death I'll play a roguelike that's balanced around that mechanic so when I die I know it's my fault and not some bullshit one shot from halfway across the map.

Now if they made one season gift available to SC and another available to HC I might give it a shot.

EDIT: Plus I still need to git gud.

If I want to play a game with permadeath, you can bet it's not going to be a game that might kill me if I lose my internet connection for 15 seconds.

Edit: I'm just saying it pisses me off when I lose a handful of bounties to DCing before I could turn them in, if I were to lose the entire character and more than 45 minutes of play time...

see317 on
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    I usually roll a HC at some point during a season, and then when I inevitably die I realise that I didn't do what I knew I should and have a "grinding" character to quickly relevel gems and farm shards for a "push" character that you make separate. No matter how many times I die and do something like that, I never remember haha.

Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    korodullinkorodullin What. SCRegistered User regular
    I loved HC in Diablo 2.

HC in Diablo 3 can go fall off a cliff.

ZvOMJnu.png
    - The Four Horsemen of the Apocalypse (2017, colorized)
  • Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    I've died so many times to glitchy rubberbanding and lag spikes on the server end that I'd never play Hardcore in D3.

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    HC doesn't even seem that bad in D3? You keep all your account progress, right? If anything that sort of defeats the purpose.

Zek on
  • Options
    JarsJars Registered User regular
    you lose all your levels, gear, gems, augments so not that is not correct

• Options
    ZekZek Registered User regular
    Jars wrote: »
    you lose all your levels, gear, gems, augments so not that is not correct

I mean yeah you lose your gear of course. But if you have a ton of PLs then leveling up again and hitting upper Torment levels is pretty trivial. You probably have a ton of backup gear too. So really it's just your max GR that's going to take a hit.

• Options
    Ya the augments part is killer. It's not hard to have back up gear, but if you were to lose 13x lvl80 augments that's just over 200 empowered GRs to replace.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    These damn freezes are getting annoying as hell, I hope the maintenance fixes them!

• Options
    Waffles or whateverWaffles or whatever Previously known as, I shit you not, "Waffen" Registered User regular
    Everyone was like, "Frenzy barb was fucking retarded"

Blizzard be like, "Hold my beer for monk week"

• Options
    I said this three seasons ago and I'll still say this now, the three followers are wildly overdue for an overhaul. "Take Templar, maybe pop a Unity on him, feature complete." is such a waste of a system.

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I said this three seasons ago and I'll still say this now, the three followers are wildly overdue for an overhaul. "Take Templar, maybe pop a Unity on him, feature complete." is such a waste of a system.

Yeah, they're really boring. Plus there needs to be a "Mute Templar" setting.

• Options
    NaphtaliNaphtali Hazy + Flow SeaRegistered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »

Yeah, they're really boring. Plus there needs to be a "Mute Templar" setting.

joooonnnnnndddddaaaaaaarrrrrr

Steam | Nintendo ID: Naphtali | Wish List
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I managed to put together an inarius build and now playing the necro is much more enjoyable.

There probably are rathma builds which arent annoying as fuck to play, i just didnt have the gear to pull them off. I didnt find the mage ring until plvl 500. Of course, i didnt learn that it is a near guaranteed ring drop for a level <5 Necro until after i abandoned rathma.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Until they put out something that makes the mages permanent I can't imagine a rathma build being fun

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    I've had good success with a custom Rathma setup I've come up with, gotten through GR75 without much trouble once I put together all of the basic gear pieces. I haven't tried pushing it higher but 75 was the basic goal for now and it handled it just fine.

Also Lornelle's Sunstone is flat trash, don't be tempted to try to use it if you have literally any other options.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    So, this was the first season I've actually "completed" and I'm not sure I get the point of doing them. The lil green dragon pet is cool, but the 2 pieces of set armor were way worse than the armor I already had. I don't know if I want to continue on with the slayer, conqueror, etc challenges since it appears all you get is different colors for your portrait.

Also, at what point does it become unnecessary to up the Torment level? Torment IV is pretty manageable for me at the moment, but Torment V wrecks me. There's no need to up it unless I want those XP/gold % boosts, yes?

I do have a pretty good Necro set up right now, though. Devour, Land of the Dead, and Singularity Skeleton Mages work well for huge groups with elites, and Rift Guardians. Pop LotD and use Devour for infinite essence and infinite super mages. Fights are usually over in seconds. If LotD is on cooldown, I use Simulacrum to get 2 for 1 super mages. Pretty good system I think, though it does mean nothing explodes anymore which is kinda sad.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    Zek wrote: »
    HC doesn't even seem that bad in D3? You keep all your account progress, right? If anything that sort of defeats the purpose.
    The only plus is you keep anything in the chest that was stored there, your gold, blood shards, and shop level progression. Essentially anything that can be shared between characters that doesn't require unequipping to share. And in that sense, it's basically you're "nice to hold on to, but don't need" items.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    So, this was the first season I've actually "completed" and I'm not sure I get the point of doing them. The lil green dragon pet is cool, but the 2 pieces of set armor were way worse than the armor I already had. I don't know if I want to continue on with the slayer, conqueror, etc challenges since it appears all you get is different colors for your portrait.

Also, at what point does it become unnecessary to up the Torment level? Torment IV is pretty manageable for me at the moment, but Torment V wrecks me. There's no need to up it unless I want those XP/gold % boosts, yes?

I do have a pretty good Necro set up right now, though. Devour, Land of the Dead, and Singularity Skeleton Mages work well for huge groups with elites, and Rift Guardians. Pop LotD and use Devour for infinite essence and infinite super mages. Fights are usually over in seconds. If LotD is on cooldown, I use Simulacrum to get 2 for 1 super mages. Pretty good system I think, though it does mean nothing explodes anymore which is kinda sad.

The only thing past Chapter 4 for the season is to get another stash tab, and the feeling you really did finish a season. But yeah, if you're not into that then you can just dink around and kill more monsters to have fun or whatever you want to do to have fun in the game.

The other things that help with higher torment levels is amount of stuff that drops and more chances for more death's breath. Basically the higher you can go the easier it is to get items/gear since you can upgrade rares, convert set items, and better drop rates for items/gear.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    Has anyone on console done local co-op? I've read that it's possible and seems to follow the old-school Gauntlet ideal of sharing the screen instead of splitting it. I was wondering how well that idea translates to D3. I've promised the kiddos that I'd find more local co-op games and my fiancé has agreed to try it out with me.

Kind of a win-win all around if it works well. "Oh, you want to play Diablo with me? How about you match all them tiny socks of yours that I just got finished washing, and then you can earn Xbox time for us to slay demons together. Trust me, I really want you to join me on the demon hunt."

• Options

Always try to push as much as you can get away with. Not only does it affect Gold/XP rates(which Paragon levels directly translate to an increase in damage/survivability), legendary/blood shard/death's breath drop rates are increased as your increase Torment levels. The difference between Torment 1 and 13 for legendary drops is night and day, and at T13 you'll be regularly seeing elites dropping 3 Death's Breaths at a time.

• Options
    edited July 2017

I like the idea of seasons because you are forced to start from scratch. It's too easy to go twink out a new character, so seasons are a pretty cool way to start over. Plus, if you get someone new involved, you both are at the same level (no paragon for you!).

The set rewards are pretty awesome in a sense, but I can see why what you already have may better than the reward. I've enjoyed increasing the torment level, even if I'm not gaining a ton of stuff from it. Games that are too easy bore me, so upping the difficulty is fun. Last season, I only had one toon that was good enough to deal with Torment XII, but XIII was a real struggle. My other toons were hovering between V and VIII.

I enjoy the mindless hacking, and it seems like seasons allow me to keep enjoying it anew.

Le_Goat on