As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    i actually really like the look of that diablo game but it is going to come down to what exactly i would need to pay for

WingedWeasel on
  • Options
    kimekime Queen of Blades Registered User regular
    Hardtarget wrote: »
    it's crazy to me that the remaster we got was war 3 when there is a perfectly running version of war3 that you can get from blizzard right now. It could have been War1+2 and probalby should have been OOOOOR Diablo 2 remaster. but war 3? come on. plus a mobile game very few fans of the series are gonna want?

cooome ooooon

Sure, but that remaster looks reeeally good.

Battle.net ID: kime#1822
    3DS Friend Code: 3110-5393-4113
    Steam profile
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    what appears to likely be a monetization format that customers actively despise
    I don't think we actually know anything about the monetization scheme. I know that microtransactions are the norm for mobile games, but that doesn't guarantee that this game will use that scheme (merely makes it very likely). And even if it uses microtransactions, those can range from "Pay $0.99 to pick up the sword that just dropped" to "Pay $3 to buy access to a new character class", and some of them are way more predatory than others.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Delduwath wrote: »
    I don't think we actually know anything about the monetization scheme. I know that microtransactions are the norm for mobile games, but that doesn't guarantee that this game will use that scheme (merely makes it very likely). And even if it uses microtransactions, those can range from "Pay $0.99 to pick up the sword that just dropped" to "Pay $3 to buy access to a new character class", and some of them are way more predatory than others.

Here's the barest minimum of what I'd expect for monetization:

You get 2 character slots. Want more? Pay $3 for each additional slot, $10 for a 4-pack of slots.

Other than that, I can't say. But character slots are probably the lowest hanging fruit on the microtransaction tree for a Diablo game.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    it's bizarre to me that people want to play anything with more moving parts than stuff like hearthstone on their phones, but I guess here we are. It'll probably be good because blizzard's stuff usually is, but I'm just... deeply uninterested

NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    BullheadBullhead Registered User regular
    Erlkönig wrote: »

You get 2 character slots. Want more? Pay $3 for each additional slot, $10 for a 4-pack of slots.

Other than that, I can't say. But character slots are probably the lowest hanging fruit on the microtransaction tree for a Diablo game.

Also stash tabs for sure.

96058.png?1619393207
  • Options
    DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular

I'd think they'd copy the China model for the PC version of D3 at a bare minimum which is tons of cosmetics, stash slots, character slots, etc., but can definitely see them getting into the nickel and diming for everything.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    I play games on my phone. A lot. I put more time on my phone per day playing games than I do on my PC or consoles.

But I don’t play heavily involved games. I play games that take minimal concentration. I play games that I can look away from more often than I look at them. I play games that can be paused and put to sleep for long periods of time. I play games that are simple to pick up and put down at a moment’s notice.

This Diablo game is not any of that. I love Diablo and I have been a lifelong fan of the series. But this mobile game is not for me.

As a lifelong fan, and as someone with a virtual ticket, this announcement feels like a betrayal. This announcement feels like a slap in the face.

I wholeheartedly agree with the fan that asked if this is for real or if this is an out of season April Fool’s joke.

This feels like a bad dream that I haven’t woken up from yet.

Also: I just bought Diablo 3 on my Switch. And played it at a Blizzcon watch party with friends. Why do I want a new mobile game when I literally just bought a new mobile game.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I find the reaction to diablo mobile to be fairly amusing. In the same sentence people complain about how horrible the microtransactions will be and then reccomend another game with microtransactions in PoE.

For me it might be fun, will see once it releases. I really hope it won't be a gacha, but considering the ungodly amount of money people spend on those it probably will be.

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Zek wrote: »
    I think with a game like this - a fairly traditional genre that's adapted to a touch screen - the target audience is almost entirely people who don't play games on PC/console much if at all. If they did, they would rather play a game like this there, since the mobile version is watered down and harder to control in comparison.

The type of mobile game that might also appeal to those types of players are spinoffs that don't suffer from the format, like Fallout Shelter for example. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do something like that instead. For example something like a Diablo "demake" roguelike would have been perfectly suited to mobile and probably would have gotten some hype.

Corporations seem to really believe that expanding the audience of a franchise means throwing players who are fans under the bus.

They haven't thrown us under the bus. They put out D3 on Switch, made a mobile game. D3 is getting long in the tooth, and these two "new" things will bring some people back, and get some new fans for when they announce D4 (I'm guessing next Blizzcon).

They're keeping the franchise in people's minds, a very slow-burn hype for the Next Big Thing.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular

No, stash space is.

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    DehumanizedDehumanized Registered User regular
    how it's monetized doesn't really bother me as long as it's not horrifically exploitative

that i'm not really scrambling to play an action rpg on my phone seems to be the main hurdle

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Zek wrote: »
    I think with a game like this - a fairly traditional genre that's adapted to a touch screen - the target audience is almost entirely people who don't play games on PC/console much if at all. If they did, they would rather play a game like this there, since the mobile version is watered down and harder to control in comparison.

The type of mobile game that might also appeal to those types of players are spinoffs that don't suffer from the format, like Fallout Shelter for example. I'm a bit disappointed they didn't do something like that instead. For example something like a Diablo "demake" roguelike would have been perfectly suited to mobile and probably would have gotten some hype.

Corporations seem to really believe that expanding the audience of a franchise means throwing players who are fans under the bus.

They haven't thrown us under the bus. They put out D3 on Switch, made a mobile game. D3 is getting long in the tooth, and these two "new" things will bring some people back, and get some new fans for when they announce D4 (I'm guessing next Blizzcon).

They're keeping the franchise in people's minds, a very slow-burn hype for the Next Big Thing.

Oh, something's burning right now all right, but it isn't hype and not very slow either. :lol:

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    akjak wrote: »

No, stash space is.

They're both low-hanging fruits. I just think that character slots would be so low as to be touching the ground. There are 6 character classes (no word on customizing the sex of the class or if they're fixed), so limiting the number of character slots and locking the slots behind a paywall means you either spend money to play all the classes or you have to start deleting your older character.

Also, considering that I have multiple mule characters in Diablo 3 PC, paywalling character slots is also a paywall on additional storage space (it's a two-fer!).

Erlkönig on
    | Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    It’s looking like somewhat of a reskin of another NetEase game: Crusaders of Light. You can see some similarities, especially in the skill buttons.

One of the features listed in the App Store is a battle royale mode, because of course it is.

Makes me wonder if it’s kinda like how Ingress paved the way for Pokemon Go.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Haha holy shit, in response to the crowd booing that it’s mobile only Wyatt Cheng raised his eyebrows and said “do you guys not have phones?”

Wooooow. I used to give him so much credit for giving patient and detailed answers, I don’t think this was going how he expected it would at all.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I feel like the general internet response has been pretty normal kneejerk over the top. No, it's not what any of us really wanted. I'm not convinced that they thought it's exactly what everyone had hoped for. I think the intensely negative reaction caught them off guard though. It's a mobile game, it's gonna have a market. It looks decent enough, some decent amount of effort has seemingly gone into it so I'll probably give it a swing. Whether or not it's actually a miss depends on how it's monetized and if they capture the Diablo feel well enough.

I'm mostly indifferent about it. I don't think it's strictly indicative of the future of Diablo, it's something they can get out before D4. I think having something else for D3 in the works they could announce would have helped. I'm not mad they're making a mobile game, I'm actually a little surprised they're just now doing it. I'm just a little disappointed since I was hoping for, ya know, more.

I chuckled a little about the guy that asked if it's an early April Fool's joke, but to be honest that's a really ridiculous question. It's clearly not and a lot of people are going to be working on this project and be proud of it. If it's not your jam, that's fine, but plenty of people are going to want to play it. It's just super disingenuous to judge the product based on the almost no information we have now.

Anyway, I am a little wary that there's been no talk about the pricing structure. Likely they just haven't figured that out yet (and based on the q+a's so far, it sounds like they have a lot to figure out yet, this isn't a game coming out in the next couple months). Aside from the RMAH from Diablo 3 (which they seemingly learned from) I don't think Blizzard has had an actually exploitative setup. I think they can still get the benefit of the doubt here.

• Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I mean,

it's a reskin of another game done by the same company with Diablo thrown into it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenEncouragingZebraRitzMitz

• Options
    edited November 2018
    the other netease game that looks very similar to this runs on a F2P model with P2W in-app purchases

so like, hopefully that's not the case here?

it, unlike this game, is also available on PC

https://store.steampowered.com/app/775220/Crusaders_of_Light/

Dehumanized on
  • Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Tbh the reaction is largely (imo) down to the announcement of a mobile port of D3 being treated by Blizzard with the same fanfare as a new expansion would be, I'm sure they are excited and hell it's probably a very fine product, but there's been such a failure to read the room that it's just funny. Your spin-off thing goes at the top of the show or between two other things (eg like the Gears Mobile port thing was at e3), not as a closer.

The lack of plan for the pricing etc is eyebrow raising, because at the very least they should be able to say what they're not doing, like skin lockbox treadmills or paying for stash or character slots beyond the first and anything else that people are worried about.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    I mean,

it's a reskin of another game done by the same company with Diablo thrown into it.

https://clips.twitch.tv/FrozenEncouragingZebraRitzMitz

Because the UI is positioned around where your thumb is expected to be?? It's probably building on a similar engine, but considering we know very little about the systems in place (they're still figuring this out, as they've said) I think writing it off as a reskin based on UIs that are very fitting to an ARPG is calling it a little too soon.

Also, Crusaders of Light doesn't play that much like a Diablo game so I'm skeptical it's going to be a reskin. The gameplay footage we've already seen shows this isn't the case.

• Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    Haha holy shit, in response to the crowd booing that it’s mobile only Wyatt Cheng raised his eyebrows and said “do you guys not have phones?”

Wooooow. I used to give him so much credit for giving patient and detailed answers, I don’t think this was going how he expected it would at all.
    It feels more like he's a sacrificial lamb on this.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.
  • Options
    A few things:

1) There's no way Wyatt Chang & co at Blizzard were eager to get up on stage and hype this. They had to know it would be tepid at best, and hostile (like it is) at worst.
    2) NetEase is who the true developer of this game is. It's just a Diablo reskin of their Crusaders of Light game. The only thing Blizzard has to do with this is licensing the IP and shared art assets.
    3) You can tell that this game was thrown together in a hurry, based on the fact that it doesn't even have anything new from Diablo 3. In fact, it has less, since they removed Witch Doctor.
    4) There were so many "We don't know yet" answers during their Q&A that this game is probably still 6 months out at minimum. You don't say "I don't know" that many times if you're anywhere close to launch. We can probably expect this game to drop somewhere around July-September of next year. Realistically.

• Options
    HexDexHexDex Registered User regular
    So I was super busy today, and am only now catching up on the news.

So Diablo mobile eh?

I mean, I don't play games on my phone, but people certainly are. So, I guess there is a market out there for mobile Diablo?

Little let down, but what can you do?

If you are reading this add me.
    D3: HexDex#1281, PSN: DireOtter, Live: DireOtter

• Options
    HexDex wrote: »

So Diablo mobile eh?

I mean, I don't play games on my phone, but people certainly are. So, I guess there is a market out there for mobile Diablo?

leave dislikes, I guess

that like to dislike ratio says a lot

also all the booing and the guy asking if it was an april fools joke, etc.

• Options
    HexDex wrote: »

So Diablo mobile eh?

leave dislikes, I guess

that like to dislike ratio says a lot

also all the booing and the guy asking if it was an april fools joke, etc.

And complain on the Internet. Lots of people are doing that :P

Steam profile
  • Options
    Currently the official Blizzard posting of the Diablo Immortal trailer on Youtube has 3.3k likes, and 84k dislikes.

That's how you tell them you aren't happy. Somebody in the business offices of Blizzard is having a meltdown right now over the internet fallout surrounding the Diablo stuff.

• Options
    But they gave us Destiny 2 for free!

it has a metacritic user score of 3.5!

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    Currently the official Blizzard posting of the Diablo Immortal trailer on Youtube has 3.3k likes, and 84k dislikes.

That's how you tell them you aren't happy. Somebody in the business offices of Blizzard is having a meltdown right now over the internet fallout surrounding the Diablo stuff.

Eh. People'll get over it in a few weeks and Blizzard will still make buckets of money and people will enjoy the game.

Steam profile
  • Options
    WaveformWaveform Registered User regular
    I'll give them the benefit of the doubt with regard to the UI and button placement. The "animal paw" of buttons in the corner is what every single mobile ARPG does.

So this honestly looks like a case of Blizzard following best practices here.

Whether or not that control scheme is fun in an absolute sense is a totally different issue, but it's probably the best you can do on a phone.

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    It would be fun to see how many of the people complaining will be playing the game day 1. Much like that old ever hilarious picture of the complaints about some cod game steam group with most of the group ingame at launch.

How do people already know it's been farmed out to another developer? Is it purely based on the UI, or have they actually shown it?

• Options
    They called the other developer up on stage.

They all spoke Chinese. They are from China.

Their company is called NetEase.

Their logo was put on screen during the slide show.

That is how we know.

• Options
    Lucascraft wrote: »
    They called the other developer up on stage.

They all spoke Chinese. They are from China.

Their company is called NetEase.

Their logo was put on screen during the slide show.

That is how we know.

To be clear, NetEase has been involved in all things Blizzard in China for a long time, they basically run all of Blizzard's games in China. This isn't just some random partnership.

• Options
    Sure. But it's still a game being developed out of house. This is a better situation than StarCraft Ghost, which was farmed out to randos. At least there's history between Blizzard and NetEase. But that doesn't really soften the blow that literally the only Diablo news was a mobile game being made by an outside firm.

• Options
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    It would be fun to see how many of the people complaining will be playing the game day 1. Much like that old ever hilarious picture of the complaints about some cod game steam group with most of the group ingame at launch.

How do people already know it's been farmed out to another developer? Is it purely based on the UI, or have they actually shown it?

You don't always get over negative backlash:

oj12rcnxtlaz.jpg

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    it doenst help that there have been the rumoured diablo dev positions for a new full diablo game, so people were gettin a bit antsy

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular
    That picture hurts my soul.

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

• Options
    backlash didn't help but i'm pretty sure andromeda didn't do great because it wasn't a great game

• Options
    Is path of exile good?

yeah