As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

if u like builds and also click path of exile is good*

*i may have played 6900 hours of poe

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Frozenzen wrote: »
    I find the reaction to diablo mobile to be fairly amusing. In the same sentence people complain about how horrible the microtransactions will be and then reccomend another game with microtransactions in PoE.
    Who here is recommending PoE?

• Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

I disliked it. The skill "forest" is really impenetrible. You look like crap unless you pay for armor skins. The graphics are muddy and ugly. It's a worse Diablo in almost every way, imo. It is free tho so... ?

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    akjak wrote: »
    Is path of exile good?

I disliked it. The skill "forest" is really impenetrible. You look like crap unless you pay for armor skins. The graphics are muddy and ugly. It's a worse Diablo in almost every way, imo. It is free tho so... ?

Pay $30 or whatever and play Diablo 3. Which is a way better value.

• Options
    KyanilisKyanilis Bellevue, WARegistered User regular
    I just couldn't get into PoE. It's apparently great if you get into it but the skill tree basically boils down to you have to find a good build and follow it. There's very little room for you to experiment on your own and be viable for late game stuff. If you screw up early on I think it's even impossible to "fix it" later.

In some ways it's more like D2 than D3 is, I'm not sure that's a compliment. I've got nothing against it but I've tried it a handful of times and just never really got the flow or found it to be that fun. I never made it to endgame though so that could be it.

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Is path of exile good?

Speaking of, I'm a little surprised there hasn't been a Battle.net sale going on with BlizzCon happening. I seem to remember that that was a thing in the previous BlizzCon's I've gotten tickets for.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Kyanilis wrote: »
    I just couldn't get into PoE. It's apparently great if you get into it but the skill tree basically boils down to you have to find a good build and follow it. There's very little room for you to experiment on your own and be viable for late game stuff. If you screw up early on I think it's even impossible to "fix it" later.

i would say the exact opposite of this is true.

i have never followed a build guide in my life and have taken literally random builds composed of whatever i felt like into the end game. broadly the game is v complex and v hard, so it takes a while to get to that point. but this is not the poe thread so:

path of exile has an order of magnitude more complexity than diablo 3, and this engenders a very different style of game. it is less action oriented, much more obtuse, has a different art style and is much less focused on straightforward loot and numerical upgrades until quite late on for particular categories of build. its v different, not to everybodys taste but worth a try, and has a vastly longer tail of gameplay if you get into it as it has both a bigger space of things to explore and a lesser ability for you to explore it quickly, although ymmv depending on gameplay motivation

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone with thousands and thousands of hours in Diablo 3:

fuck this mobile bullshit

• Options
    FrozenzenFrozenzen Registered User regular
    I find the reaction to diablo mobile to be fairly amusing. In the same sentence people complain about how horrible the microtransactions will be and then reccomend another game with microtransactions in PoE.

Oh, that was more of a general observation of the reactions on other places of the internet. And PoE is a fine game, just not my cup of tea. It just feels too clunky to play.

• Options
    Pixelated PixiePixelated Pixie They/Them Registered User regular

Part of it comes from this:

http://playdiablo4.com

~~ Pixie on Steam ~~
    ironzerg wrote: »
    Chipmunks are like nature's nipple clamps, I guess?
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    Let’s try to avoid turning the thread into a D3/PoE battle.

There’s a thread for that game, and it’s completely free to check out if you’re curious about it.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    reVersereVerse Attack and Dethrone God Registered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »

There’s a thread for that game, and it’s completely free to check out if you’re curious about it.

A free to check thread? I bet they've got some kind of post-2-win scheme going.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018

Yes, let's save the thread for Mobile vs. D3. Mwuahahahahaha!

I honestly didn't pay attention that it was done not by Blizzard themselves. Now I'm sort of sad.

Edit: Bad grammar.

Betsuni on
    oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Diablo: Immortal does nothing for me. Correction, it does nothing positive for me. Plenty of disappointment for an out of house mobile MMO being their big announcement this year. On the Diablo front the only thing I have to look forward to is further development of Reign of Terror, the Diablo 2 remake mod for Grim Dawn. At least Grim Dawn is getting another expansion as well.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    So did anyone else get the switch version? That still seems like a pretty cool thing!

I’m reluctant to drop full price on it, but can’t deny the appeal of the nemesis/gift box features and switch portability, especially if we end up having enough forumers getting it.

• Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

it's better in the way that kept a lot of people playing d2 though, namely each character is really easy to make feel unique and experimentation exists, is fun, and promotes making new characters

I would never say it's perfect but if you LOVED d2 and enjoy d3 but don't think it's perfect (describing myself on purpose) PoE will probably entertain youy at least a bit. considering it costs literally nothing to try, I'd say give it a shot.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    VariableVariable Mouth Congress Stroke Me Lady FameRegistered User regular
    eelektrik wrote: »
    Diablo: Immortal does nothing for me. Correction, it does nothing positive for me. Plenty of disappointment for an out of house mobile MMO being their big announcement this year. On the Diablo front the only thing I have to look forward to is further development of Reign of Terror, the Diablo 2 remake mod for Grim Dawn. At least Grim Dawn is getting another expansion as well.

oh shit really? I haven't played GD in a while because I didn't get that first expansion but I could definitely see grabbing both, especially if reign of terror is a thing. thanks for this news.

BNet-Vari#1998 | Switch-SW 6960 6688 8388 | Steam | Twitch
  • Options
    vamenvamen Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    I feel like this should be super obvious, but how in the world do you join a friend on Diablo Switch? I see them playing and I can even highlight them but it has no option to join.

Edit- looks like I can join one friend but none of the others. I wonder if that means they're playing hardcore or seasonal or something.

vamen on
  • Options
    Could be, or if it’s like PC there may be an option to make a game private.

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    So did anyone else get the switch version? That still seems like a pretty cool thing!

I’m reluctant to drop full price on it, but can’t deny the appeal of the nemesis/gift box features and switch portability, especially if we end up having enough forumers getting it.

Oh you know we'll get it. Just have to go pick up a copy.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    akjakakjak Thera Spooky GymRegistered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

Yeah, I bought the vanilla collector's edition and I have probably 600 hours in it. ;)

Switch: SW-4133-1546-2720 (Thera)
    Twitch: akThera
    Steam: Thera
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Waveform wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to the Witch Doctor. He's the only D3 class not represented here.

blizzard probably realized he was wildly racist
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Waveform wrote: »
    I wonder what happened to the Witch Doctor. He's the only D3 class not represented here.

Plus they probably figured they can drop it now that they have Necro to do the same "job".

A little from column A, a little from column B.

BahamutZERO on
    BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »
    Sounds like that’s it?

Blizzard is THE WORST at managing hype.

Wait what??? What happened? I was not in Internet world so missed out.

Out of all the things people possibly expected, it was none of them.

It’s a mobile game.

“This is an exciting time, we have multiple projects” = switch and mobile. That’s it.

Maybe YOU didn't call it. Maybe you thought I was joking or mad when I threw out "diablo gatcha." Well who's the crazy one meow?!

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    TIFunkaliciousTIFunkalicious Kicking back in NebraskaRegistered User regular
    I got the switch version and am having a lot of fun. The last time I played diablo 3 was launch week on PC so I'm working through all of the gameplay changes at once which is kinda overwhelming

• Options
    DacDac Registered User regular
    I like PoE and Diablo 3. I find PoE to be way closer to Diablo 2 in feel than D3 is, fwiw.

Steam: catseye543
    PSN: ShogunGunshow
    Origin: ShogunGunshow
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    Henroid wrote: »
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    Out of curiosity, I wonder if this might cannibalize part of their Diablo 3 Switch audience. Isn't one of the perks of the Switch that you can take it with you, thus making it kind of mobile? And if people were eyeballing a Switch + Diablo 3 to make Diablo more portable, having it on their phone instead might dissuade them from going with the Switch option.
    I don't usually buy into "cannibalize your own audience" type arguments, but in this case I'm definitely in agreement. I don't think it'll be by any large amount, but enough to consider.

It reminds me of when companies were doing dual releases like Assassin's Creed Liberation on Vita at the same time as the "real game" Assassin's Creed 3, or Uncharted Golden Abyss on Vita at the same time as Uncharted 3. Or Mass Effect 3 on Wii U at the same time other devices were getting Mass Effect Trilogy. Or Dark Souls Remastered Switch at the same time every other device got Dark Souls Trilogy.

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    WaltWalt Waller Arcane Enchanted Frozen ElectrifiedRegistered User regular
    Dac wrote: »
    I like PoE and Diablo 3. I find PoE to be way closer to Diablo 2 in feel than D3 is, fwiw.

it's sort of the Pathfinder to d3's 4th edition

they're both valid ways to enjoy your time

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Diablo: Immortal is set between Diablo 2 and Diablo 3

Zzzzz...

Golden Yak on
    H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    Mr.SunshineMr.Sunshine Registered User regular
    You know what would have alleviated most of this hate explosion?

"More Diablo content in the future!"

Or something similar; at the end of that Diablo: Immortal trailer. Maybe throw in a snippet of concept art too. Instead of assuming everyone would accept the news of JUST a mobile game.

• Options
    eelektrikeelektrik Southern CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Variable wrote: »
    eelektrik wrote: »

oh shit really? I haven't played GD in a while because I didn't get that first expansion but I could definitely see grabbing both, especially if reign of terror is a thing. thanks for this news.

Yeah, Grim Dawn: Forgotten Gods is coming out Q1 2019. New desert themed areas to the campaign, another new mastery(Paladin-esque Oathkeeper), and some new game mode I haven't read up on yet. As for the Reign of Terror mod, they do the best they can within GD engine-limitations but the mod has potential. It has Acts 1 and 2 so far.

(She/Her)
  • Options
    themightypuckthemightypuck MontanaRegistered User regular
    Is path of exile good?

Path of Exile is good on PC and also good on Xbox (unlike D3 which is basically hackfest on console). Neither is as good as D4, which sadly is 4 years out.

“Reject your sense of injury and the injury itself disappears.”
    ― Marcus Aurelius

Path of Exile: themightypuck
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    They should have salvaged their Diablo conference by hastily putting together a trailer that's just the Elder Scrolls VI teaser trailer but with a line through it and "Diablo 4" scribbled beneath.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    This is way old news for everyone here, but again I'm playing Diablo 3 for the first time on Switch, and wanted to sort of review it. My frame of reference is Diablo 1 and 2 and Torchlight. I'm playing the necromancer and I just killed Leoric.

It's fun. Really different, but fun.

Actually it doesn't really feel like Diablo anymore, in spite of fan service. They traded in a ton of atmosphere and flavor for balance and those little gameplay tics that trigger whatever part of your brain gets excited over bonuses. "Whoa buddy you broke 10 tables, you get a speed boost!" "Hey grab these orbs popping out all over that give double damage and healing!"

Diablo was always so grounded, to the point of making you maintain a stock of arrows, and physically fit everything into your pack, and requiring an enemy drop a corpse to be able to raise a skeleton from it. You had a belt with physical space for potions in it. And I know someone's going to complain about calling a fantasy game with magic "grounded" but I think that back-and-forth has been done to death, you know what I mean, it's about suspension of disbelief etc. And I'm also not saying those things are all good things, but they were part of the flavor of the game and the universe. I see the wisdom in making skeletons just spawn from nowhere every 2 seconds because you want to be able to pit the player against one big boss in an arena where there might be no corpses to raise. And I appreciate it. But I'm not sure it was all worth losing out on other aspects, or going more arcadey. I don't actually enjoy seeing a double damage orb somewhere and feeling compelled to run over to it, I think the game would be better without them.

Of Blizzard's properties, Warcraft was the cartoon and Diablo was, for better or worse, kinda-sorta realistic. Or at least dark and grounded.

There's always some back and forth on these feelings, like I love that you can break more stuff now, it makes sense with these crazy powers you have, and they made it really satisfying to do so even if it's a waste of time. I'm just breaking everything. Trap kills are great. And I like that you can get granular in crafting things and re-enchanting things and transmogrification. Although from what I gather, a lot of that is probably largely pointless later on because you're just getting your specific set that was made just for you, why would you ever craft anything?

Anyway I think I'll love it and play it for thousands of hours but I'm pouring one out for what was lost. Kind of like a Fallout 4 situation here, losing roleplaying for better gunplay. I guess it's what they need to do for the market.

It was really smart to take notice of how people played previous games and build toward that. Like as one example, life steal/regen was always a "secret best enchant" that a newbie might not clue into, well now it's one of the primary stats shown on the interface! "This has more armor but worse health regen." That's crazy. And also how endgame Diablo 2 became zero investment in energy and relying on energy regen auras or gear, well hey if everyone prefers that to mana potions then now everyone has attacks to regen resource and attacks that spend it. And little things like just being able to town portal as much as you like.

I was worried about the map size at first but the cathedral had some nice giant Diablo maps. Not as mazelike...but it took a while to get through them anyway. It's great being able to see all the places you can't reach surrounding the walkable areas, it feels bigger and more complex than it is.

I feel like the camera is too zoomed in. I guess I don't know if it actually is, compared to other games I've played like this, but for some reason it feels that way. One thing I really dislike is that the angle is too low, things closer to the camera are much less visible than things in the top left or right, so that it's always desirable to approach fights from the south. I feel like I have no idea what I'm walking into when I'm moving downward. I miss orthogonal projection that made it comfortable to move in any direction, or if nothing else a higher up camera pointed down more.

All the lore/conversations seem to be shorter but there's more of them. Maybe it only feels shorter because they don't pause the game to play a giant text crawl. I really like the increased amount of dialogue out in the world, like actually talking with your hireling(!) and short cutscenes, though at the same time it detracts a little from the lonely, desperate feel. I love that your character actually participates in conversations and has voice overs between significant events. I don't know if I like all the random "villager" people. Diablo was always very strong on characterization of everyone you can talk to. However I think there's still about the same number of significant people as before, the blacksmith, the captain of the militia etc. I am not sure what the point is of multiple near-identical vendors all over town.

I miss Matt Uelmen on music. The music isn't bad but his style was so weird and perfect. Full of familiar instruments tweaked to hell and layers of noise and freaky echoes. Feels like pale imitations of his previous compositions.

Going around with an army of skeletons and summoning mages is awesome and I am really sad that apparently it's not viable later on (so I was told here). I thought the whole point of not having skill trees/points and free access to all the skills was to balance them and make them all useful!

There is a little too much fan service. I know there needed to be some, but having Tristram back and destroyed in 2 was a fun nod, having it yet again in 3 is a bit excessive. We don't need every significant event in this universe revolving around this one little town. But I also like some of the Diablo 1 references like Lachdanan and the king's diaries. To an extent I think it's a soft reboot because they could no longer assume that anyone playing 3 had played 1 or 2, so they had to cover all those story beats again.

The sheer amount of stuff in the game is great and it feels like an extremely polished, complete game on the Switch. I know it wasn't gorgeous when it came out but I think it looks just fine and it runs so smooth and loads so quickly. It plays really well on a controller and the auto-aim is awesome.

And that's all I have to say about that.

EDIT:
    Walt wrote: »
    Dac wrote: »

it's sort of the Pathfinder to d3's 4th edition

they're both valid ways to enjoy your time

God damn I almost made a comparison like this but I thought it would piss off too many people.

"You don't like 4th edition? That explains everything, you're one of those assholes."

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    I got the switch version and am having a lot of fun. The last time I played diablo 3 was launch week on PC so I'm working through all of the gameplay changes at once which is kinda overwhelming

I'm in the exact same spot.

Some things i have not been able to figure out:

At times i get a brief pop up that says something something challenge? Maybe connected to when i pick up some items? But i can't find any information on what I'm supposed to do to meet the challenge in the quest menu, or anywhere else.

The whole paragon menu - not sure when i get to play with that

I found what i think is a quest drop in the first few levels, a "black mushroom". What to do with that?

• Options
    Morran wrote: »

At times i get a brief pop up that says something something challenge? Maybe connected to when i pick up some items? But i can't find any information on what I'm supposed to do to meet the challenge in the quest menu, or anywhere else.

I found what i think is a quest drop in the first few levels, a "black mushroom". What to do with that?

I assume the challenges are either achievement progress notifications or stuff like "you killed so and so many demons in one go, here's extra exp".

Paragon becomes a thing at max level. Once you hit the level cap, you continue to gain paragon levels, further increasing your power.

The Black Mushroom is used to craft the Staff of Herding that allows you to access a special fun level. Here's the hows and whats: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_of_Herding

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    Is there still room in the clan? I recently got the D3 itch again, and picked up the Necro pack. I mostly used to do HC stuff, so if anyone wants a PL there I can do it. I’d like to get back into Normal mode though, since most of my HC buddies don’t play any more

• Options
    MorranMorran Registered User regular
    reVerse wrote: »

I assume the challenges are either achievement progress notifications or stuff like "you killed so and so many demons in one go, here's extra exp".

Paragon becomes a thing at max level. Once you hit the level cap, you continue to gain paragon levels, further increasing your power.

The Black Mushroom is used to craft the Staff of Herding that allows you to access a special fun level. Here's the hows and whats: http://diablo.wikia.com/wiki/Staff_of_Herding

Ah, cool. So any short lived pop up means i just did something awesome, rather that urging me to do something awesome. That's good to know.

The staff quest seems like a pain in the back to complete, guess I'll just stove the mushroom away for now.

Oh, and i guess you can carry as much as you want now? Did they remove inventory Tetris for console or already for the base game?

• Options
    Inquisitor77Inquisitor77 2 x Penny Arcade Fight Club Champion A fixed point in space and timeRegistered User regular
    After watching some clips of that Blizzcon panel, I feel so bad for Wyatt Cheng. This guy has poured blood, sweat, and tears into Diablo for over a decade and he's thrown up there to be the spokesperson for a game that he and his team aren't even making that nobody wants.

• Options
    Oh, and i guess you can carry as much as you want now? Did they remove inventory Tetris for console or already for the base game?

I don't know how it is in the Switch version, but at least on PS4 there are still limits. No inventory tetris though, just a regular "1 spot for 1 item" system. There should be a number somewhere in the inventory showing how much you're carrying.

• Options
    Joolander wrote: »
    Is there still room in the clan? I recently got the D3 itch again, and picked up the Necro pack. I mostly used to do HC stuff, so if anyone wants a PL there I can do it. I’d like to get back into Normal mode though, since most of my HC buddies don’t play any more

There is, but an officer will have to be online to do it. If you join the PAF community and say in this thread that you’re online then one of us can log on and invite you.