As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Diablo 3] old thread is old

• Options
    UncleSporkyUncleSporky Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    A couple questions I have too:

Are there secret rooms? Like attack this wall when you see it to flip a switch and another wall will slide open and there's money inside? I haven't found any yet.

Is there no way to do a basic regular attack anymore? I mean actually there was, when I first started playing, the right trigger did a normal attack but I can't seem to find a way to do it anymore now that it's been bound to an ability. Not that I want to do basic attacks. Am I correct in assuming your resource-gathering attack is your basic attack, and there's kinda no reason for a necromancer to be holding out his weapon at all?

If there are no basic attacks, then which skills activate abilities on gear that happen when you attack/deal damage/kill? Every damaging skill? Just the resource gathering attack?

How do I look at my crafting materials? I assume when I get a weird gold item called veiled crystal, that's a crafting mat. I think I also get that when I salvage a gold item? None of the crafting mats have names though, they are just a vague icon. I assume on PC I could just hover over them to see what they are. I can't find where to look at them in the bag, if that's possible.

First time through the game should I be spending all my money towards training those two vendors and increasing stash storage space? Should I sell most items or salvage them, in other words will the money help more than the crafting mats in the long run?

UncleSporky on
    Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    NogginNoggin Registered User regular
    No secret rooms

Everything with damage is an attack

There should be a tab of crafting mats, or you should be able to see how many you have in the crafting costs. They do come from drops and salvaging.

I say salvage, and ya use gold on training and stash space. Gold is tight at first, but later you’ll have way more than you’ll ever need.

Battletag: Noggin#1936
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Zek wrote: »
    Actually it doesn't really feel like Diablo anymore, in spite of fan service. They traded in a ton of atmosphere and flavor for balance and those little gameplay tics that trigger whatever part of your brain gets excited over bonuses. "Whoa buddy you broke 10 tables, you get a speed boost!" "Hey grab these orbs popping out all over that give double damage and healing!"

D3 gives more of a superhero comic type feeling, in both story and gameplay. Its less low-key horror and more building you up into an unstoppable god wrecking everything, which is pretty addictive fun in its own right.

Not all of this seems intentional, they did bake in very Diablo-y tropes into the stories and settings, but the implementation in terms of art, dialogue, and voice acting, reminds you much more of the Blizzard South that made it big on Warcraft. Its a high quality product, but it also really shows that virtually all of the team from the first two games was lost.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    Salvage everything always. Gold becomes trivial. There's no need to ever vendor even one item in that game.

• Options
    IncindiumIncindium Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Quest for Treasure last 2 links for those that don't wanna search Reddit

Sacred Harvester
    https://d3loot.com/claim/16b71bd921dd144474f210bef06a9efe

Scythe of the Cycle
    https://d3loot.com/claim/efa4fa680e0cc69a31a812e68d9d28e6

Incindium on
    steam_sig.png
    Nintendo ID: Incindium
    PSN: IncindiumX
  • Options
    ReddayeReddaye Registered User regular
    Watching Bluddshed's stream of Immortal from yesterday and honestly the game looks pretty fun based on the small demo snippet that's available to play. I'm not a huge mobile person, but if it controls about as well as DHC with the increased level of polish the game seems to have, then I'll be willing to give it a shot. It's not a replacement for D4, but it's not really meant to be.

Biggest hurdles for me will be monetization model, and what the core gameplay loop are like. I can see me turning the game on for a few minutes here and there to sate my craving for loot when I'm on the go.

• Options
    I wonder if the reaction would have been more favorable if the announcement order had been switched. :cool:

Like if they’d announced this a couple months ago, then at blizzcon thrown in some PR speak about being patient for what’s to come then “oh, and check this out,” *switch announcement*, “and you can get it physically on <date> and on the e-shop... right now!”

• Options
    ErlkönigErlkönig Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    Noggin wrote: »
    No secret rooms

There should be a tab of crafting mats, or you should be able to see how many you have in the crafting costs. They do come from drops and salvaging.

I say salvage, and ya use gold on training and stash space. Gold is tight at first, but later you’ll have way more than you’ll ever need.

Well... That's not 100% accurate.

There is precisely one hidden room in Leoric's Manor. Admittedly, that one 'secret' room only has a single item (a shield transmog) in it, and, once collected, you don't need to ever go back to that room.

| Origin/R*SC: Ein7919 | Battle.net: Erlkonig#1448 | XBL: Lexicanum | Steam: Der Erlkönig (the umlaut is important) |
  • Options
    True, but in the sense of “should I be checking everywhere?”... absolutely not

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Going around with an army of skeletons and summoning mages is awesome and I am really sad that apparently it's not viable later on (so I was told here). I thought the whole point of not having skill trees/points and free access to all the skills was to balance them and make them all useful!
    an army of skeletons is absolutely viable in endgame. It does take some itemization though, but done correctly it takes them from fun to amazing.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    I miss Matt Uelmen on music. The music isn't bad but his style was so weird and perfect. Full of familiar instruments tweaked to hell and layers of noise and freaky echoes. Feels like pale imitations of his previous compositions.
    [/i]"

yeah in some ways the music was almost the biggest disappointment about d3. during the development i knew matt uelman had gone in and jammed out at the blizzard studio for several hours to give them some stuff to work with, but in the end the soundtrack veered between utterly inconsequential - too ambient and missing the (in retrospect absurdly) aggressive leads that you find in things like the d2 wilderness music - or just generic orchestral pap of a fairly rote nature. its a huge shame, as its not like blizzard havent managed to give musical identities to some of their other stuff (the repeated use of a particular pulse plugin defined a huge chunk of the overwatch soundtrack, as well as that having a readily identifiable theme in general, etc)

i hope they really go aggressively weird for d4. i love the idea of them looking with a bit more interest at some of the emotions d1 managed to evince from people, rather than simply trying to "make d2 again but better and with in-system gamification to make up for the fact that the game itself has not much else going for it thematically, plot-wise and contentwise"

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    RonaldoTheGypsyRonaldoTheGypsy Yes, yes Registered User regular
    I don't really want d2's aesthetic in 2018 graphics because D2 is littered with naked disemboweled tortured people which is probably accurate in the case of a demon invasion but would be squicky with 4k visuals.

• Options
    Incindium wrote: »

Sacred Harvester

Scythe of the Cycle

What is this?

It's asking me to log in to my Blizzard account but I have to send them a government-issued ID to remove my authenticator because I haven't played WoW in like a decade :(

Also I don't even know if there's a way to link my Switch game to my Blizzard account?

Switch Friend Code: SW - 5443 - 2358 - 9118 || 3DS Friend Code: 0989 - 1731 - 9504 || NNID: unclesporky
  • Options
    KlatuKlatu Aussie Aussie Aussie Oi Oi OiRegistered User regular
    edited November 2018
    What page is the link to sacred harvester on? It's the only one I'm missing.

edit: Nevermind, I'm blind as all hell. 12/12! for a comp I can't possibly win, even if I win.

Klatu on
    Steam id:Klatu - PS id: Klatu_PA - 3DS FC: 0920-0528-6680
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    Erlkönig wrote: »
    No secret rooms

Well... That's not 100% accurate.

There is precisely one hidden room in Leoric's Manor. Admittedly, that one 'secret' room only has a single item (a shield transmog) in it, and, once collected, you don't need to ever go back to that room.

This is great to know! I am there at this moment! I don't care about spoilers.

EDIT: Adventure mode only, I see. Later then.

UncleSporky on
  • Options
    Klatu wrote: »
    What page is the link to sacred harvester on? It's the only one I'm missing.

edit: Nevermind, I'm blind as all hell. 12/12! for a comp I can't possibly win, even if I win.

We just ordered a switch as a group gift for someone, so I’m certain to win the bundle now. That’s how it works, right?

• Options
    BetsuniBetsuni UM-R60L Talisker IVRegistered User regular
    Incindium wrote: »

Sacred Harvester

Scythe of the Cycle

What is this?

It's asking me to log in to my Blizzard account but I have to send them a government-issued ID to remove my authenticator because I haven't played WoW in like a decade :(

Also I don't even know if there's a way to link my Switch game to my Blizzard account?

This is for a giveaway prize of the game, the D3 switch, and real life weapon props.

oosik_betsuni.png
    Steam: betsuni7
  • Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    Even if I were interested in Diablo Immortal, I'm not sure if my phone or tablet would even be able to play it well (if at all). The graphics seem pretty good and there's a lot going on.

• Options
    GoodKingJayIIIGoodKingJayIII They wanna get my gold on the ceilingRegistered User regular
    I’m gonna try it. Mobile games don’t have to have shitty pay models and bad mechanics. They’ve come a long way.

Now if it has those things I’ll drop it like a bad habit. I played too much Galaxy of Heroes to go back to that shit. But I don’t see why diablo can’t worn on mobile. Though it’s probably better suited for a tablet.

Battletag: Threeve#1501; PSN: Threeve703; Steam: 3eeve
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/wH9j54oo2eA

This is someone playing it at blizzcon... I skipped around the video a bit and seeing a continuous clip of it seems to do it more justice than the trailer.

Nevalistis pops in later around 25ish minutes and is very clear that this is designed as an online-only, multiplayer focused mmo. Sounds like the bosses will be more involved (she acknowledges that 3’s are pretty basic) so they’re excited about experimenting with that.

• Options
    fortyforty Registered User regular
    I wonder how well that game will handle the frequent connection disruptions that is the reality of mobile gaming.

• Options
    Betsuni wrote: »
    This is for a giveaway prize of the game, the D3 switch, and real life weapon props.

Ah thanks. Without being able to see what it was, I assumed it was in-game stuff that you got if your game was linked to battle.net or something.

I have another question:

Should I be saving uniques in my stash for other characters to use later, get a leg up? How does equipping them work, is it strictly level-locked, can't use it until you're the level of the item?

• Options
    VikingViking Registered User regular
    Betsuni wrote: »

Ah thanks. Without being able to see what it was, I assumed it was in-game stuff that you got if your game was linked to battle.net or something.

I have another question:

Should I be saving uniques in my stash for other characters to use later, get a leg up? How does equipping them work, is it strictly level-locked, can't use it until you're the level of the item?
    level locked, majority of items are not class restricted (outside of a handful of exceptions)
    keeping them as hand-me-downs does not really work as they often will have rolled with the primary stat for your class (so INT on caster classes and Dex on DemonHunter etc.) which means the uniques are less valuable unless you are playing a similar class. while you can re-roll the stats it can get expensive, especially if you are just starting out.

generally I drop uniques with abilities (the orange text) into the Cube to open up build options or salvage them for the sweet sweet crafting materials. for the most part all saving them does is take up valuable bank space.
    and before long you will get many many copies of each one anyway.

There are some items you might want to hold on to though, stuff like Puzzle Rings which you can put into the Cube to summon a Greed Portal or a Broken Leorics Crown if you are in need of a specific gem.

steam_sig.png
    Bravely Default / 3DS Friend Code = 3394-3571-1609
  • Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    Okay wow, so I have been exposed to some of the extreme Gamer™ rhetoric going on with Diablo Immortal and I need a moment.

Look, it's okay to be disappointed with an announcement. Hell, I was disappointed. But you have to have some perspective, or at least take care in how you frame your disappointment, because I'm seeing a LOT of entitled type arguments. One of them literally says Blizzard is "not entitled to my phone." What does that even MEAN?!

I get it; people are starved for more main Diablo content. Diablo 4, a Diablo 3 content update, and that rumored Diablo 2 Remaster. There's the disappointment from that, then there's the fact Blizzard added pre-hype to this whole thing a week or two ago. I'm not down on mobile games in theory; they are video games and anyone who says otherwise is being a shitty nerd gatekeeper. But in practical terms, mobile as a platform has design implications (controls, memory, size) and monetization implications (GACHA). So when people hear Diablo on Mobile, they're going to apply those known qualities in their imagination of what it'll be (even when you show footage, it will reinforce the realities). But for fuck's sake, at the end of the day...

If you don't like what you see? Don't buy it, don't download it if it's free. And move the fuck on.

• Options
  • Options
    CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular

To be fair, Federation Force tanked hard. I'd be surprised if they broke even on it.

I'm willing to give Immortal a shot, but, Blizzard had literally millions of people gnashing their teeth for an expansion pack or D4 teaser... only to give them a mobile game using old textures not even made by blizzard? Really, all they had to do was show some D4 concept art in a trailer and say "Diablo 4! Coming 2022ish!" and then ease into Immortal.

• Options
    LucascraftLucascraft Registered User regular
    It appears that they have made the Monk black in this game. So I guess that's the compromise for removing Witch Doctor.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    WD is my fav char and I don’t feel that the Necro plays close enough as him to make me even wanna think about playing this.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    edited November 2018
    This is someone playing it at blizzcon... I skipped around the video a bit and seeing a continuous clip of it seems to do it more justice than the trailer.

This is a great video. The continuous gameplay really makes it look and feel a lot more like D3, aka decent. The demo phones are apparently the absolute greatest iPhones so I'm wondering how it is going to run on lesser devices.

Since this seems to be a virtual joystick, I'm wondering if there will be controller support. If not there are several android devices that can map touchscreen controls to real ones. Hell you can probably run this on an Nvidia shield with some tweaks.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    ThisThis Registered User regular
    If Blizzard actually were going all in on making a Diablo game for mobile, I would be pretty psyched! When I first heard about it I was interested. Any time Blizzard has decided to move into a new space I've loved the results (World of Warcraft, Hearthstone, Heroes of the Storm). They polish and they innovate and they make something awesome.

But that's not what this is - it's being made by some other company, it's just D3 classes.. So yeah. It's the furthest thing from a new Blizzard game possible. It's really not as simple as "mobile=bad" (though granted, for some people that may be true)

• Options
    CrazodCrazod Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The thing I hate about playing games on phones is it absolutely murders your battery. Makes it hard to play for any decent time if you wanted to use the phone for actual useful things.

If it did come out on PC I would be tempted to try it out though.

Crazod on
  • Options
    Eat it You Nasty Pig.Eat it You Nasty Pig. tell homeland security 'we are the bomb'Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    Henroid wrote: »
    Okay wow, so I have been exposed to some of the extreme Gamer™ rhetoric going on with Diablo Immortal and I need a moment.

Look, it's okay to be disappointed with an announcement. Hell, I was disappointed. But you have to have some perspective, or at least take care in how you frame your disappointment, because I'm seeing a LOT of entitled type arguments. One of them literally says Blizzard is "not entitled to my phone." What does that even MEAN?!

I get it; people are starved for more main Diablo content. Diablo 4, a Diablo 3 content update, and that rumored Diablo 2 Remaster. There's the disappointment from that, then there's the fact Blizzard added pre-hype to this whole thing a week or two ago. I'm not down on mobile games in theory; they are video games and anyone who says otherwise is being a shitty nerd gatekeeper. But in practical terms, mobile as a platform has design implications (controls, memory, size) and monetization implications (GACHA). So when people hear Diablo on Mobile, they're going to apply those known qualities in their imagination of what it'll be (even when you show footage, it will reinforce the realities). But for fuck's sake, at the end of the day...

If you don't like what you see? Don't buy it, don't download it if it's free. And move the fuck on.

I guess it's probably been going on a lot longer, but this was dumb back when SLAP IN THE FACE became the thing to say about any development change people didn't like; over time of course the take furnace has come to require ever more potent fuel to sustain itself which results in these increasingly hyperbolic posts

it was something of a talking point on the diablo subreddit (before it sensibly got locked down for a while) that blizzard were 'betraying their values' or something; like what value, making fucking money? The self importance of people about media they've chosen to follow continuously amazes me

Eat it You Nasty Pig. on
    NREqxl5.jpg
    it was the smallest on the list but
    Pluto was a planet and I'll never forget
  • Options
    TheStigTheStig Registered User regular
    90% of the people bitching about immortal are going to download it and try it out when it's available.

bnet: TheStig#1787 Steam: TheStig
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'd be perfectly happy playing that on mobile if mobile didn't have the glaring problem that it uses virtual analogue sticks on the screen. My thumbs are big enough that they take up a lot of screen space, maybe 1/5 of the screen combined. That one on the right with the buttons for different attacks and inventory? I'd never be able to quickly see what is what since my thumb blocks that whole area.

When you've got big hands, mobile gaming really sucks when they over complicate the controls.

• Options
    SCREECH OF THE FARGSCREECH OF THE FARG #1 PARROTHEAD margaritavilleRegistered User regular
    the mobile diablo game looks super bad and its dissapointing that it exists

gcum67ktu9e4.pngimg
  • Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    edited November 2018
    The important thing is that we not lose sight of how bad d3's story is.

What a tragedy.

Basil on
    9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    Al_watAl_wat Registered User regular
    I just want more content for d3.....

They havent even patched the game in like 4 seasons

• Options
    It’s looking like that ship really may have sailed. Without any mention at blizzcon, we’re very close to the “deadline” for a PTR to start before the next season, if not there already.

• Options
    edited November 2018
    Diablo 3 is literally being taken care of by the "classic games" team doing things like WC3 remaster. There is no team dedicated to D3 anymore, there will not be anything major enough to run a PTR test for a long time.

rahkeesh2000 on
  • Options
    BethrynBethryn Unhappiness is Mandatory Registered User regular
    TheStig wrote: »
    90% of the people bitching about immortal are going to download it and try it out when it's available.
    No.

...and of course, as always, Kill Hitler.