As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Movies]: Watch the Final Cut version. Paddington still better.

• nexuscrawlernexuscrawler Registered User regular
    the funnest game to play is the IMDB plot keywords people assign movies.

Like Wizards: massive breasts | sexy woman | concubine | boyfriend girlfriend relationship | strapless dress

• TOGSolidTOGSolid Drunk sailor Seattle, WashingtonRegistered User regular
    Atomika wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I now expect @Atomika and @Astaereth to review every movie that comes out. Cost should no longer be an issue

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/08/16/moviepass-netflix-cofounder-slashes-price-9-95-month-app-crashes/571781001/
    $10 a month lets me see every movie I would ever want to see :eek:

The catch(es) being that it doesn't work for IMAX or 3D and they will definitely be selling your movie watching habits off to some third party.

AMC said this morning that they're going to opt out if there's any legal way to do it (since they've already been in a contract with them), so hurry up all of you close to AMC theaters . . . . including me :sad:

I'd care but AMC's popcorn is trash so I hate going to their theaters. Regal knows what the fuck is up and layers the butter.

wWuzwvJ.png
  • Atlas in ChainsAtlas in Chains Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Netflix suggested I would enjoy watching Wild Wild West. I remember watching it on HBO or something many moons ago, and I liked it. I watched it again last night and I still liked it.

I have nothing to offer in my defense.

I was going to post about this, too, having watched it this weekend with a friend. I really don't get the hate with Wild Wild West. It's well put together. The characters are enjoyable. I guess people don't like the spider? I dunno, I love that movie, I think it's great.

• HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    I like the lynching gags and when they mock the villain for having no legs

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    It wasn't a great movie, but it didn't deserve the vitriol, I thought. We have lived through much worse.

• TexiKenTexiKen Dammit! That fish really got me!Registered User regular
    It was supposed to be Smith's threepeat of summer blockbuster dominance following to ID4 and Men In Black. But it was eh.

• NobeardNobeard North Carolina: Failed StateRegistered User regular
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    The 30 minute advertising hellscape before you get to watch the movie deters me from watching movies in theaters just as much as the price and that's not going anywhere

Yeah, but at least it allows for you to be a little late, which is a good thing for people who have kids and stuff

Also, you get to see trailers on the big screen, which can be p cool

At least around me, most of the time is filled with nonsensical Coke ads, bank ads, cinema ads, and car ads. And 1-3 actual trailers. The trailers are nice though.

Advertisements cannot play after the posted start time of the movie, at least in the US

I need to timestamp adds next time I go to my local theater then. I'm almost positive adds play after the posted start time.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    So, yesterday Cinema Sins featured Kong: Skull Island, and this morning director of said film Jordan Vogt-Roberts spent something like 3 hours losing his shit over it on Twitter. Fascinating in its' way.

https://twitter.com/VogtRoberts?ref_src=twsrc^google|twcamp^serp|twgr^author

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I signed up for MoviePass cause I see a lot of movie for work and if it works out it would save me a decent chunk of money. Hopefully the theatres I usually go to show up after I get the card.

TNTrooper on
    steam_sig.png
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    So, yesterday Cinema Sins featured Kong: Skull Island, and this morning director of said film Jordan Vogt-Roberts spent something like 3 hours losing his shit over it on Twitter. Fascinating in its' way.

The optics of that are a bit sad, considering the guy directed the movie, but he's not wrong about Cinema Sins. That channel is like the distilled essence of why I hate internet fandom.

I don't care for Cinema Sins, an interesting concept that got old and nitpicky super fast after the Age of Extinction review, so I just stopped watching. Very simple thing to do.

But damn if I don't have some respect for them causing the director to lose his shit in the most pointless way possible these days. At least go fight them in a boxing ring, brah.

• AtomikaAtomika Live fast and get fucked or whatever Registered User regular
    Nobeard wrote: »
    Vahraan wrote: »
    Coinage wrote: »
    The 30 minute advertising hellscape before you get to watch the movie deters me from watching movies in theaters just as much as the price and that's not going anywhere

Yeah, but at least it allows for you to be a little late, which is a good thing for people who have kids and stuff

Also, you get to see trailers on the big screen, which can be p cool

At least around me, most of the time is filled with nonsensical Coke ads, bank ads, cinema ads, and car ads. And 1-3 actual trailers. The trailers are nice though.

Advertisements cannot play after the posted start time of the movie, at least in the US

I need to timestamp adds next time I go to my local theater then. I'm almost positive adds play after the posted start time.

Trailers are not considered ads, nor or anything that the theater runs that promotes their own products.

• PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    Man I'd hope someone who actually does movies would not care about a funny youtube video guy, but here we are.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_HrR5X72_LM

Mike and Jay discuss Annabelle: Creation, as well as some profound levels of Warner Brothers(and possibly David F. Sandberg) sleaze, such as manipulating Rotten Tomatoes scores and the commonly used "we own your idea now" movie contest terms.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    Preacher wrote: »
    Man I'd hope someone who actually does movies would not care about a funny youtube video guy, but here we are.

Yea, but CinemaSins is dreadful, so

call it a draw I guess.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    Striessand effect, dude just got cinema sins more views than they would have probably had.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Also Kong is great, you should all watch Kong.

• DanHibikiDanHibiki Registered User regular
    Striessand effect, dude just got cinema sins more views than they would have probably had.

Yeah, he should have content ID' it before doing the rant.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Kong was fun, colorful, and had great monster battles. It felt a bit disposable though. I might see it once more, some time. It was certainly a nice surprise after the boring, grey, and even-more-forgettable Godzilla that preceded it.

It will probably be up on HBO in a month or two since it's a Warner Brothers movie

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    TexiKen wrote: »

I don't care for Cinema Sins, an interesting concept that got old and nitpicky super fast after the Age of Extinction review, so I just stopped watching. Very simple thing to do.

But damn if I don't have some respect for them causing the director to lose his shit in the most pointless way possible these days. At least go fight them in a boxing ring, brah.

The guy spent the time pointing out how the channel ignores what actually happens in the film, and ignores the language of film, in order to come up with "sins."

DarkPrimus wrote: »

The guy spent the time pointing out how the channel ignores what actually happens in the film, and ignores the language of film, in order to come up with "sins."

Also known as the channel's whole schtick, like duh? I mean what's next pointing out that Honest Trailers is not actually honest about a film either?

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • BlackDragon480BlackDragon480 Bluster Kerfuffle Master of Windy ImportRegistered User regular
    TOGSolid wrote: »
    ObiFett wrote: »
    I now expect @Atomika and @Astaereth to review every movie that comes out. Cost should no longer be an issue

https://www.usatoday.com/story/tech/talkingtech/2017/08/16/moviepass-netflix-cofounder-slashes-price-9-95-month-app-crashes/571781001/
    $10 a month lets me see every movie I would ever want to see :eek:

The catch(es) being that it doesn't work for IMAX or 3D and they will definitely be selling your movie watching habits off to some third party.

AMC said this morning that they're going to opt out if there's any legal way to do it (since they've already been in a contract with them), so hurry up all of you close to AMC theaters . . . . including me :sad:

I'd care but AMC's popcorn is trash so I hate going to their theaters. Regal knows what the fuck is up and layers the butter.

I normally like to support local companies, and I live and work not 50 miles from AMC's headquarters (and 3 of their most advanced multiplexes when it comes to technology and accouterments), but their popcorn is indeed shit. Now their larger theaters have giant pretzels that are awesome and the MacGuffin's bar at my favorite AMC does do some nice movie-inspired drinks.

But I only go there for big IMAX or Dolby Atmos (best theater sound I've ever experienced) releases anymore, everything else I hit Alamo Drafthouse.

No matter where you go...there you are.
    ~ Buckaroo Banzai
    Do a lot of theater chains accept discover? I remember when I was a struggling college kid with that as my only credit card it was pretty garbo for people taking it.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Also known as the channel's whole schtick, like duh? I mean what's next pointing out that Honest Trailers is not actually honest about a film either?

I don't watch Honest Trailers but l am fairly certain that the people who make Honest Trailers don't make up a bunch of bullshit in their videos, turn around and say "you can't criticise us for being wrong about the film because we're just joking, we aren't doing actual criticism" despite them also putting up videos where they give what is supposed to be their actual impressions of the films and they bring up the same bullshit issues/problems, nor do they heavily lean on tropes that belittle women.

• TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular

I mean, I feel like CinemaSins puts off a different air than HT (thus why the latter is much more tolerable), but I agree that getting Mad on the Internet doesn't help much.

But who knows, maybe some guy who thinks CS does good stuff saw the tweets and reconsidered? Because CS is truly awful.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • ArchangleArchangle Registered User regular

At this point, my understanding of the CinemaSins process is:

"Hey, we need to pay some people's wages. Let's put out a "CinemaSins" to generate views for that sweet youtube ad revenue"
    "Jane, read through the comments of the last video and pick the first "Do X next" for a movie we haven't done before. Or maybe we have, because sometimes it's just easier to recycle material"
    "Okay, we've picked X movie. What's 3 things that everyone says about it?"
    "A, B, and C. Cool, that's the core of the video. Bob, go watch the movie while high on the substance of your choice and write down whatever random shit comes into your head to pad out the other 90% of the runtime"
    "Kimi, go and splice together some clips that may or may not be related to what Bob wrote, and Jack will provide the deep voiceover. Phew, that's Monday morning out the way - what shall we do for the rest of the week?"

Like, it's completely divorced from any legitimate film criticism and humour that it may have started off with - at this point it's literally just a revenue stream "job" that they half-ass to pay the rent. I can guarantee that Jordan Vogt-Roberts put more effort into his Twitter rant than was put into coming up with the list of "sins", and the CinemaSins team is delighted it's driving their views higher.

• WindburnWindburn Registered User regular
    At one point AMC was piloting an alternate premium plan with MoviePass in a couple cities (Denver was one).

Outside of that, there is no direct relationship with the theatres. MoviePass works if 1) the theatre accepts Discover and 2) MoviePass chooses to support that theatre. Small private/premium theatres may have ticket prices well above the regional average, for example, and MoviePass will choose not to support them.

The only way AMC could unilaterally "opt out" would be to stop accepting Discover. They are no more able to specifically prevent the use of your MoviePass card than they are your Airline Mileage reward card.

Personally, I think it would be a mistake to fight it. Theatres make very little from ticket sales anyway. The majority of their revenue is from concessions. People seeing more movies means more chances to sell them popcorn and beer. It's pretty much the definition of a win-win.

Message From the King (Netflix) was below average, not really a revenge flick as advertised while also not enough of a drama either.

Seemingly made for Chadwick Boseman to work on his african accent in preparation for the Black Panther film, here he's a man from South Africa coming to L.A. to find his estranged sister, who weeks earlier called him up asking for help. Seems she wasn't running with the right crowd, a bunch of druggies and some mobsters, and with them stonewalling him he finds her dead at the morgue, to which things seem perfectly ripe for a revenge movie. Nope. Nothing really happens but T'Challa walking around shitty parts of Los Angeles (more like the whole city boom rekt), going from place to place having a blank look all the time. At one point he hits people with a bike chain as advertised in the movie icon on Netflix, but that's about it for any real action save a part at the end.

It's just a waste of talent, because while Boseman seems perfectly adequate as an actor this could be done by anyone, he doesn't even talk that much. The waste mainly comes from squandering Luke Evans, Alfred Molina, and Teresa Palmer. And all of them are ruined under cliched storytelling that's just going through the motions. This was a Belgian director possibly wanting to make a thriller in the vein of all those great modern korean films but just squanders everything minus a change of pace for one part of the ending as well as an admittedly clever reveal at the very very end which does not justify the entire film and certainly doesn't make anything less boring in how the film progresses. And when I say cliches it's just damn yo, almost every single one is hit in an attempt to be dark and meaningful. Just few tweaks would have made it something on par with those Statham VOD movies which are often a nice chill movie night type endeavor, instead you have a film that doesn't reflect the talent involved. Moer liek Text From the Prince a zing.

• italianranmaitalianranma Registered User regular
    Cinema Sins is awful, but if not for them then we wouldn't have the guy who deconstructs their videos.
    https://youtu.be/qnTZbZw1JPQ

飛べねぇ豚はただの豚だ。
  • GoumindongGoumindong Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Moviepass will work in any theater that accepts debit payment because they're going to pay full price for the tickets directly to the theater. They're hoping that selling data (and people not going >1 month) will make up the rest of the price differential and bring them into profitability.

Edit: Specifically it works by them sending you a debit card, which you then use when purchasing tickets (also works online through their app, but not through, like, fandango i think).

Goumindong on
    wbBv3fj.png
  • So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Goumindong wrote: »
    Moviepass will work in any theater that accepts debit payment because they're going to pay full price for the tickets directly to the theater. They're hoping that selling data (and people not going >1 month) will make up the rest of the price differential and bring them into profitability.

Edit: Specifically it works by them sending you a debit card, which you then use when purchasing tickets (also works online through their app, but not through, like, fandango i think).

their business model seems wholly unsustainable at $10/mo

an article I read included moviepass guy saying, well, we'll prove our worth to the theaters and then they'll want to make a deal with us to cut us in on the profits we're bringing in by increasing movie goers coming in and buying concessions

yeah...that's gonna work

• TNTrooperTNTrooper Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »
    Goumindong wrote: »

an article I read included moviepass guy saying, well, we'll prove our worth to the theaters and then they'll want to make a deal with us to cut us in on the profits we're bringing in by increasing movie goers coming in and buying concessions

yeah...that's gonna work

If they cover the theatres I go to and let us book tickets earlier then same day I wouldn't mind if they raised their price.

steam_sig.png
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    MoviePass's model was pretty unsustainable at $30 a month, which is why they kept trying to find ways to crack down on users going to the movies, like arcane ticket verification procedures or restricting movies to one per 24-hour-period (what, so if I watch a movie at 9:00 Friday night I can't watch a movie at 8:00 Saturday night?) or one per calendar day (what, so I can't watch a midnight screening and then a regular movie the next day?). If it had been working well they wouldn't be trying to radically shift like this.

ACsTqqK.jpg
    So It Goes wrote: »

yeah...that's gonna work

Their business model includes more than just the $9.95 /mo subscription fee. There is also the near certainty that the use/marketing data they collect will be sold (ala Google). Finally, the app you use to activate your daily movie selection has had ads in the past. If you liked the movie you just saw, click here to pre-order the DVD.

I'm willing to wager they have other revenue streams behind the scenes as well.

Astaereth wrote: »
    MoviePass's model was pretty unsustainable at $30 a month, which is why they kept trying to find ways to crack down on users going to the movies, like arcane ticket verification procedures or restricting movies to one per 24-hour-period (what, so if I watch a movie at 9:00 Friday night I can't watch a movie at 8:00 Saturday night?) or one per calendar day (what, so I can't watch a midnight screening and then a regular movie the next day?). If it had been working well they wouldn't be trying to radically shift like this.

God, those were frustrating times. The worst part was, when they rolled out their new 1 movie every 24 hours change, they tried to spin it as a great new feature. It was insulting on top of disappointing.

Here's the email announcement they sent out:
    Dear Windburn,

At MoviePass, we are constantly working to build the best theatrical subscription service. We have many exciting new features coming that will improve your experience even more.

As the holidays approach, we have been receiving many requests to purchase MoviePass gifts for loved ones. Our gifting site will be available shortly, and we will notify you as soon as you are able to purchase.

We’re also excited to introduce a new feature: The Countdown Clock. This clock counts down the time until your next available screening. You will still be able to go to a movie each day, but there will be a 24-hour period between screenings. Your MoviePass app has already been updated, and you will notice these changes the next time you see a movie.

If you have any questions, please contact customer service at 877.646.2892, via live chat at www.moviepass.com, or by emailing support@moviepass.com.

Thanks again for your loyalty and continued support.

Best,
    Stacy Spikes
    CEO

• cj iwakuracj iwakura The Rhythm Regent Bears The Name FreedomRegistered User regular
    Cinema Sins is awful, but if not for them then we wouldn't have the guy who deconstructs their videos.

We need to go deeper. Who's going to be deconstructing this?

wVEsyIc.png
  • FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    cj iwakura wrote: »

We need to go deeper. Who's going to be deconstructing this?

Just post the youtube of the Inception BWAAAAAAAA and be done with it

• Redcoat-13Redcoat-13 Registered User regular
    Walking around during my lunch break, I've been seeing a lot of filming going on. Some of that is to do with Endeavor (Young Inspector Morse), but apparently they're going to be filming a bunch of Mamma Mia 2 as well. I'd have thought all the best / well known songs were used in the first film, and I can't believe people were desperate to know what happened next.

PSN Fleety2009
  • ThirithThirith Registered User regular
    We're going to see War for the Planet of the Apes tonight, another fine example of how stupid German movie titles can get. It happens fairly often that the German title of an English-language film gets a different title for the German market - and that different title is an English one. (Sometimes they just use the English tag line as a German title, e.g. Begin Again --> Can a Song Save Your Life?) In this case, the German title is Planet der Affen: Survival, i.e. they translate the title of the series into German but then tag on a semi-random English word that doesn't even come up in the original title.

webp-net-resizeimage.jpg
    "Nothing is gonna save us forever but a lot of things can save us today." - Night in the Woods
This discussion has been closed.