As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

PAX South 2018 Information, FAQ, and Q&A Thread (Ask Questions Here!)

13»

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    hurbleduh wrote: »
    Are there "spousal" related events? Things that veer closer to crafting, very low stakes, not entirely wedded to gaming as a concept? I took a look at the schedule and didn't see much, and I'm really scared my wife is going to be bored out of her skull. It's not that she doesn't like gaming, but it's not to the extent that my friends and I are.

Reaper should have their "take and paint" tables set up, where you can get a free mini and sit down to paint it. As far as "gaming", it runs the gamut. With the lending library, I'd say there's a lot more tabletop variety but there are also plenty of video games to try. And lots of companies run learning demos of new games where they walk you through it so it tends to be more goofy and fun than cutthroat.

• SpewtySpewty Registered User new member
    This is going to be my first year for PAX and I got a question regarding Kids. I was on the PAX site trying to register however for Kids I do see 6 and under is free however anything older needs a badge, I saw they only had a Sunday Kids badge available. Can this one also be used for Saturday as well?

• whypick1whypick1 PAX [E] Info Booth Manager ~2' from an LCDRegistered User regular
    No. Sunday badge means Sunday only.

Is it PAX <insert nearest future PAX here> yet?
  • ArcknightArcknight Registered User new member
    Hi! We're a vendor returning for our 4th year! Generally, we take the interactive map, and click ourselves, and screenshot to show our fans what booth were in, and post it to social media. However, this year, 1> I can't find a map at all on the website (although I can find the exhibitor hall map on the phone app) and 2> the Tabletop vendors don't appear on the list of exhibitors in the exhibitor map/list ... at all. Assuming that's because there's clearly arrows off to the side saying "tabletop" and thats a separate map - but I can't find a tabletop map.

Does anybody have a map of the tabletop area / vendors lying around? Not sure how people are supposed to know were at the show.

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    Arcknight wrote: »
    Hi! We're a vendor returning for our 4th year! Generally, we take the interactive map, and click ourselves, and screenshot to show our fans what booth were in, and post it to social media. However, this year, 1> I can't find a map at all on the website (although I can find the exhibitor hall map on the phone app) and 2> the Tabletop vendors don't appear on the list of exhibitors in the exhibitor map/list ... at all. Assuming that's because there's clearly arrows off to the side saying "tabletop" and thats a separate map - but I can't find a tabletop map.

Does anybody have a map of the tabletop area / vendors lying around? Not sure how people are supposed to know were at the show.
    Typically there is not a detailed map of the tabletop area provided. If you want more info about that, I believe you will have to talk to your exhibitor contact with PAX/Reed.

• kube00kube00 SE WA StateRegistered User regular
    Any word on Uber or Lyft discount codes for PAX South this year?

1st PAX was Prime 2010. Made it to several more Primes/West. Been to East and South. Headed back to West in 2019 for my 12th PAX.

Twitter:kube00
    I don't believe there have ever been any pax specific discount codes. Mostly just people posting their own referral codes posing as discounts. At least that is what I have seen.

• WyllWyll Registered User new member
    Normally there are people out front of the convention center passing out codes.

See my previous comment ;)

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley DominariaRegistered User regular
    zerzhul wrote: »
    See my previous comment ;)

This is actually a different thing. The people passing out the business cards/flyers with codes on them are not individuals trying to get free rides via referrals. They're often paid by Uber/Lyft to hand out the cards to get more riders to the service. So to answer @Wyll, those cards/flyers being passed out aren't for existing Uber/Lyft customers looking for discounts. They're for new riders only. Even then, they're usually only $5-15 dollars of value, so maybe a ride or two free. Then you have to pay the normal rate. If you aren't currently an Uber/Lyft customer, then you're in luck!

PS If you have a Platinum AMEX, they give you $15 of free Uber credits every month, $30 in December, so if you use Uber a lot (like I do), it is worth it to have. I use up all my credits every month and then some. (I'm not paid by AMEX to say this, I just love their card and service.)

qbqtLfO.png
  • HoneyHam420GlazeItHoneyHam420GlazeIt Registered User new member
    What are the hours of will call?

edited January 2018
    as far as I know, the will call hours are the following:

Thursday (1/11): 9AM – 6PM
    Friday (1/12): 8AM – 7PM
    Saturday (1/13): 8AM – 7PM
    Sunday (1/14): 8AM – 5PM

These are, of course, subject to change.

zerzhul on
  • tripleslothtriplesloth Registered User regular
    Are the game tournaments generally pretty formal and intense, or is there usually a decent group of casual players? Obviously we wouldn't win, but just for fun? How about for people that haven't really played before?

edited January 2018
    It's sort of a mix? the tournaments that are run by PAX enforcers are designed to be casual-friendly, but there's always some serious people who play in them. Generally the tournaments do expect that you are familiar with the game in question.

zerzhul on
  • crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    Does anyone know if the main entrance will be the same as last year? I know there are many entrances, but which one is the correct one to use for the queue this year, if anyone knows?

dkmbNgP.png
  • OrdosanOrdosan Registered User new member
    I hope this isnt too late to ask but...
    So my 3 day pass that I had sitting next to me for months is missing. at this point im PRETTY sure its been thrown away. Can I still get a replacement from will call or am I basically boned?

• tripleslothtriplesloth Registered User regular
    How are the evening concerts? We're thinking of doing the True Dungeon but it would overlap with the first half of the concert.

• crashmurphycrashmurphy Registered User regular
    How are the evening concerts? We're thinking of doing the True Dungeon but it would overlap with the first half of the concert.
    The concerts are a lot of fun. It looks like they are divided up by genre, or similarities, this year. I recommend going to at least one of the night’s concerts.

dkmbNgP.png
  • chrispinachrispina Registered User new member
    Anyone know anything about outside food and drinks in the venue? Convention Center website says no, but I've been for other conventions and nobody checked my bag or say anything about my obvious water bottle and bag of snacks. Old Reddit thread says yes. Does anyone remember what it was like last year? Will they make me throw out my frappucino and trail mix?

• japesterjapester Registered User regular
    chrispina wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about outside food and drinks in the venue? Convention Center website says no, but I've been for other conventions and nobody checked my bag or say anything about my obvious water bottle and bag of snacks. Old Reddit thread says yes. Does anyone remember what it was like last year? Will they make me throw out my frappucino and trail mix?

Nope. You are fine. They aren't that militant. I've seen them limit individual rooms, say when a company books a single ballroom, but generally speaking you can walk anywhere in the convention center with whatever food you want.