The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

BYOC Registration South 2018!

zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
The one, the only, Bring Your Own Computer for PAX South 2018!

Want to be part of a rad PAX Lan Party? This is how you do that! BYOC is a dedicated LAN Party area in the PC section of PAX for you to bring your cool rig or your travel machine or just your gaming laptop and hang out and game with other attendees! The BYOC badge does not grant you entry to PAX itself, you need both BYOC and PAX general admission badges in order to participate!

Register here:
https://www.showclix.com/event/paxsouthbyoc2580997/listing

BjJ1TxL.png
5ErTbVb.png

• statton4statton4 Registered User new member
    do i have to purchase 2 byoc spots if my son and i will be taking turns with my rig?

• zerzhulzerzhul Registered User, Moderator mod
    A byoc badge is required to enter the byoc area at all, so it's probably best for you to each have one. The PC Security folks probably wouldn't love people trading badges off, although I am not the authority on that. If you only have one rig you can always use that second spot for a second monitor.

BjJ1TxL.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • vade281vade281 Registered User regular
    And bought! Second time doing BYOC. I'm excited!

• mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley Mountain View, CARegistered User regular
    I'm interested in doing this with a friend of mine. What are the requirements for this? I assume we need to bring either a laptop or PC, and that there are kensington locks (or similar) to prevent them from walking off? I remember seeing a thread last year saying that BYOC was the best thing they every bought because they had a place to go and "chill" when the con got too crowded or intense, etc. What are your thoughts on this? Lastly, what types of games should we have installed to play in this area? Is this mostly LAN party/Co-Op stuff, or single player, etc.?

1oamvQG.png
    Firstly, BYOC is Bring Your Own Computer, so you would need to bring a computer that you can use to play games during the convention in order to really get much use out of BYOC. What you get with your signup is a space to set up your rig, an ethernet hookup to the LAN, and two power plugs. One cannot bring their own power extenders, and you can use those two plugs for your PC and your monitor. If you buy more seats, you can have multiple monitors plugged in.

While BYOC does have its own security, it's still a good idea to lock things down when possible via the locks you suggested. If for no other reason than additional comfort in leaving your stuff behind.

BYOC is an area that only those with BYOC passes and the BYOC staff can enter, so it's certainly a more chill space than the rest of the convention. It's nice to be able to retreat back to your space that you know is yours for the con and sit down and play a game with other LAN folks.

For games, usually whatever current popular multiplayer games people are playing are good installs. Civ6, PUBG, Overwatch, HotS, other mobas, any LAN-ready game that you like. Closer to the convention you should be able to get more info about what games the BYOC crew will encourage as well. PAX has had good partnerships in the past to set up local steam caches and the like to make multiplayer gaming as good as they can.

A good note though is that the network is optimized for gaming traffic specifically. There's a throttle and cap on non-game traffic, so don't expect to be able to do a lot of streaming or similar at your BYOC spot.

BjJ1TxL.png
    5ErTbVb.png
  • AshTRAshTR Austin, TXRegistered User regular
    edited July 19
    Wow, BYOC passes up with regular passes? Sweet.

Can't believe this will be my fourth time.

AshTR on
    CbcNhnz.png
  • The PopeThe Pope Registered User new member
    I went to the PC freeplay area this year and was disappointed that it seemed like a free for all with no local play. Are there organized local multiplayer events in the BYOC? If there are, I'd love to know how many people participate.

We demand rigidly defined areas of doubt and uncertainty!
    -- Vroomfondel
  • mnemonictutormnemonictutor A Mnemonic Tutor in Silicon Valley Mountain View, CARegistered User regular
    I went ahead and secured two spots in BYOC for my friend and I. See you all there in January!

1oamvQG.png
    The Pope wrote: »
    I went to the PC freeplay area this year and was disappointed that it seemed like a free for all with no local play. Are there organized local multiplayer events in the BYOC? If there are, I'd love to know how many people participate.
    There are, but I don't know what the schedule was last year.

BjJ1TxL.png
    5ErTbVb.png
    Since this will be the first BYOC for my best friend and I, I went and read through the BYOC mega thread from 2017 and got a lot of great info. I recommend any other newbies go read through that as well. I think we will both be bringing gaming laptops since we don't want to deal with lugging big machines in as well. That being said, I noticed that some people attempted to get an Artemis group together last year. Did that actually happen? I'm game to do it this year, as I love Artemis.

1oamvQG.png