I was laid off from my job last year (a few days off to the day, in fact), and I haven't been able to land anything since. As a background, I graduated with a degree in Criminal Justice and while I liked what I learned, I had/have no idea what to do with it. Didn't want to be a cop/correctional officer, lawyer, paralegal, etc. I thought I might do something in administration or maybe the FBI since I've had people tell me my disposition suits it, but no luck.
I was mired in depression for about a year and a half until my husband (then fiancé) told me to apply for a QA position at a video game studio. I happened to play the game the opening was for and he thought I would be great at the job. I got it and was pretty happy for around two years but then the layoffs started and morale started going down. I eventually stopped caring for what I was doing and sought to move around but opportunities were very scarce. In the end, I did QA for 5 years until I got the boot. I thought I would be ok, especially since I didn't want to go back to the video game industry, but I realized perhaps too late that my previous position made me ill-prepared for the outside world. We did all manual testing that didn't involve coding and automation experience, which is what many companies today require in a candidate.
Now the thing is, my heart isn't in QA, though that's where my experience lies. The most likely option is to go back to school and while I have the funding for it, I'm absolutely petrified because 1) I have no idea what to go back for and 2) I'm afraid of wasting money since my original degree was useless. Another big issue is a lack of passion and motivation. I'm not motivated by anything, except perhaps spite. I procrastinate and only get things done in fits and spurts, unless something pisses me off enough to do something immediately. As for passion, nothing sticks out. I seem to come up with more reasons why not to do something instead of doing it.
So what do I do? I'm analytical, forthright, efficient (I've been affectionately called a robot a few times), and everything else that would be suitable for office work. I'm the type of person that probably excels better when someone tells me to do something and then leaves me alone to do it, though I'm comfortable in a collaborative setting. I'm also pretty nosy and love it when I can learn something new (one of the things that saved my sanity at my QA job for a while was learning some of the proprietary software the developers used and helping them fix bugs without having to write bug reports).
Some of the things that I've been looking into lately include: Analytics, Python, SQL, a bit of project management (though I've pretty much ruled that one out because it looks boring), and how to get into the FBI without becoming a special agent. Nothing is jumping out at me and I've currently resorted to applying for part-time office jobs because I need to get the hell out of the house.
If anyone has some magical insights, dear sweet god please lay it on me. It's been a pretty bad couple of years and it's hard to see the light at the end of the tunnel.
Some other things to note that may not be related but you might want to know anyway:
- I live in Massachusetts and am not looking to move out of the state since that's where my family is.
- My support network is very limited. I don't have any close friends and I'm currently separated from my husband (he's a great person though and is the only one I can really rely on outside my family.
- I currently live with my parents.
- Why yes, I do have anxiety and depression. My anxiety is a constant and the depression is situational though near a constant. I used to see a therapist and take meds but had to stop since they wouldn't take my insurance after I switched. I will be going on a new insurance soon and hope to start things back up again.
- I have used a life coach once for multiple sessions but it was a complete waste of time and am hesitant to use one again.
- I know networking is a necessity but I'd like to figure out a path first before I go mingle with people that I don't really want to talk to.
Link to my cat because I love showing her off:http://i.imgur.com/Avl1qCp.jpg