As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Working for the [Movie Thread] every night and day

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Pacific Rim is like a movie that seems like it ought to be tailor suited to my tastes

I love giant robots, I love kaiju

And like, the action scenes were largely serviceable at least

But the character work, or fairly comprehensive lack of character work, really soured me on it, when the film was done I had a really tough time caring about anything that happened because there was zero human element to ground the city toppling action scenes

• Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    I liked the first one a fair bit. But definitely got all I needed out of it. So the sequel is not really on my must see lists to say the least.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    my three biggest complaints were:

1. stacker pentecost's canceling the apocalypse speech was lame.
    2. charlie hunnam's balsa wood charisma with everyone.
    3. a lot of the action being at night and obscured to the point it was hard to get too excited.

Rorshach Kringle on
    6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    The main thing I remember about Pacific Rim is it's still the only movie I've seen in D-Box

And when they did the rocket punch it jolted the seat and it was awesome

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    tynic wrote: »
    Veldrin wrote: »
    I mean what's not to like about sexy space dogmen with flying rollerblades
    It's like you folks aren't even trying to appreciate Sad Bee Dad Sean Bean

... sounds like I really, really need to see Jupiter Ascending
    Hermano wrote: »
    Jupiter Ascending was kind of sexist I think, the main character was not treated well at all. Plus they sure did have some shitty gay stereotypes in there, so that was cool

Oh and the ending was genuinely idiotic, good grief

well, dang.

Oh yeah, don't get me wrong.

The movie is dumb as hell.

• Options
    tynictynic PICNIC BADASS Registered User, ClubPA regular
    Dumb I definitely don't mind, bigoted is a bit harder to gloss. But not necessarily a dealbreaker.

• Options
    LalaboxLalabox Registered User regular

Jupiter Ascending was kind of sexist I think, the main character was not treated well at all. Plus they sure did have some shitty gay stereotypes in there, so that was cool

well, dang.

also i kinda feel like calling it sexist because of how it treats the main character is a little disingenuous

it ain't the most traditional of power fantasies, but it is about her holding her own in a political war

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    To be honest, I can't actually recall what the queer representation was like in the movie.

It could have been a lot worse than I remember, but I guess I automatically gave the Wachowskis the benefit of the doubt.

• Options
    AJRAJR Some guy who wrestles NorwichRegistered User regular
    I've always been curious about Jupiter Ascending, but I also heard Mila Kunis's character is basically just a damsel in distress throughout the whole thing, and constantly needs to be saved by Channing Doggum. And that pretty much stopped my interest dead in it's tracks.

Aaron O'Malley. Wrestler extraordinaire.
    Facebook
    Twitter
    Instagram
  • Options
    Garlic BreadGarlic Bread i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a bitch i'm a Registered User, Disagreeable regular
    Zonugal wrote: »
    Its why I can't really fault @Rorshach Kringle for not liking fantasy films.

Because I am the same way with Giant ______ films.

Don't you talk shit on Honey, I Blew Up the Kid

• Options
    DJ EebsDJ Eebs Moderator, Administrator admin
    I rewatched Pacific Rim and I'm glad that a lot of y'all loved it, because I think it's one of those movies that scratches a very specific itch that I've never really had? So much of it is interesting concepts buried under a mostly boring plot and bad performances and dialogue. I remember coming out of the theater going, "mostly everyone was bad except for Charlie Day and Ron Perlman," and after rewatching it I don't think they were...very good, either. And a lot of the other things I liked in the movie didn't really hold up to another viewing either.

I'm probably not going to check out Pacific Rim 2 in theaters, at this point, because I don't think I really care that much about the universe they've built, even if they're dumping Charlie Hunham from the sequel

• Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    Pacific Rim hits a lot of notes that I love, and I really enjoyed it

But nothing, beyond the general design and weight of the mechs, separates it from any other big action movie. It is special in a lot of ways, but almost none of them have anything to do with its runtime.

THESPOOKY on
    d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    PsykomaPsykoma Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GlEO7ogJcuw

Jupiter Ascending walkthrough.

I enjoyed the film.

• Options
    pacific rim feels like it had some incredibly smart and passionate people really consider the philosophy and message of what they wanted to put out, and they really created this whole compelling history and internal logic

and then all that stuff just comes across in a few nice touches in the film, but isn't really baked into the core of what they were telling

• Options
    jgeisjgeis Registered User regular
    Pacific Rim is a potential goldmine for stories, there's so much little world building in the background of that movie.

I know there are some comics out there, has anyone here read them? Are they any good?

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    I started a company with three other nerds to make a game based roughly on pacific rim

so yeah, I liked it quite a bit

• Options
    i ain't gonna fault people for liking pacific rim because they can see past what was presented, tho.

lord knows i done that with tons'a flicks. all honing into promise and background stuff.

i just ain't able to do it with this one. there's just too much off-putting front and center stuff for me to ignore.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    The good news is Valerian is still enjoyable in it's badness. Especially the first 30 minutes, which seems like it's from an entirely different and better movie. You're probably better off knowing it's bad from the getgo.

Guy Pierce would have made for a better Valerian, or I dunno, Jude Law maybe? Almost anyone else would have been better than what we got.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Hell Charlie Hunnam would have been a better Valerian.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    Shia Labeouf as Valerian.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    Sweeney TomSweeney Tom Registered User regular
    Gustav wrote: »
    Hell Charlie Hunnam would have been a better Valerian.

Let's not say things we can't take back

• Options
    GvzbgulGvzbgul Registered User regular
    What is there to take back?

• Options
    Clint EastwoodClint Eastwood My baby's in there someplace She crawled right inRegistered User regular
    Wally Brando IS Valerian

• Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    stop telling me valerian is bad

i still want to believe

I really liked Valerian!

Kinda male-gazey and I have serious issues with one part:
    Bubble dies for like no reason, she was a great character and a WOC, what the fuck Luc Besson.

But it was a fun space romance, I dug it.

Rainfall on
  • Options
    RainfallRainfall Registered User regular
    AJR wrote: »
    I've always been curious about Jupiter Ascending, but I also heard Mila Kunis's character is basically just a damsel in distress throughout the whole thing, and constantly needs to be saved by Channing Doggum. And that pretty much stopped my interest dead in it's tracks.

Okay but here's the thing about Jupiter Ascending.

It's about a girl who is just an average girl(she's a fucking cleaning service worker in a family business) who is thrown into literally the deep end of an ancient galactic family power struggle and a lot of that involves being saved by Channing Tatum because that's kind of the fantasy that the movie is built around.

But Jupiter is a really solid character who has a lot of growth and evolution by the end of the movie and I think it's disingenuous to say that she's a damsel for the whole movie, she's an actor with agency that grows throughout, and the climax of the movie is about her decisions entirely. Channing Tatum is set dressing, he does a lot of heavy lifting in action scenes but he's not even half of the character that Jupiter is.

It's a really cool movie and I love it a ton.

• Options
    WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Things Valerian does well:
    - Cool shit to look at
    - Weird shit to look at
    - Aliens

Things Valerian isn't as good at:
    - Story (standard/generic)
    - Acting (moments of ham but nothing noteworthy)
    - Chemistry between leads

Explosions: light to moderate
    Fights: *see saw hand gesture*
    Alien sexy bits: a little
    Gross shit: nothing you can't handle, most likely
    Commentary on the human condition: nah

Manage your expectations as needed.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Pacific Rim's world was cool enough to push through Charlie Hunnam sleepwalking through the script

I'm excited for the sequel, but I'm also terrified

If it's bad it'll break my heart

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    One thing I don't like in Pacific Rim is when, I think Cherno Alpha, holds a kaiju over it's head and just throws it in the water instead of doing a Bane breaking Batman.

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Yeah, Pacific Rim did a lot of interesting stuff, and had excellent design, and was obvious how much passion went into it.

And then they cast Charlie Hunnam as the lead.

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Fearghaill wrote: »
    I just noticed another cool thing, literally the only work created by women referenced in that entire thing is

A) not their original creation, but covers of others' work
    B) credited only to unnamed, conceptual "girls" as opposed to all of the male creators mentioned by name
    C) only there specifically to fetishize them, which he doesn't even try to hide as he actually describes it in those terms

Thabk you for pointing out yet another reason this book sucks

I'll add it to my ever growing list

• Options
    edited July 2017
    That wasn't
    Ethan Hawke
    as Bubbles pimp was it?

Edit: holy crap that was
    Ethan Hawke.

Edit2: He should have played Valerian.

Edit3: I don't know why I'm surprised by this, it was literally just
    Ethan Hawke with mascara and a cowboy hat on.

Edit4: spoiler tags added in case you wanted it to be a surprise that
    Ethan Hawke
    is in this movie.

Ethan Hawke

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    THESPOOKYTHESPOOKY papa! Registered User regular
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    Yeah, Pacific Rim did a lot of interesting stuff, and had excellent design, and was obvious how much passion went into it.

And then they cast Charlie Hunnam as the lead.

the only thing a different lead could've done is chew more scenery with the lines he was given

d4753b065e9d63cc25203f06160a1cd1.png
  • Options
    butter popped back onto netflix so i'm giving it another look. this movie delivers a butter sculpture of a t-rex eating a child within five minutes.

it's so goddamn good.

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    HermanoHermano Registered User regular
    Lalabox wrote: »

well, dang.

also i kinda feel like calling it sexist because of how it treats the main character is a little disingenuous

it ain't the most traditional of power fantasies, but it is about her holding her own in a political war

Disingenuous, seriously? So I can't have a different opinon to yours without being insincere, fantastic

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular

well, dang.

Disingenuous, seriously? So I can't have a different opinon to yours without being insincere, fantastic

you're literally being insincere in this post

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    GR_ZombieGR_Zombie Krillin It Registered User regular
    Watched Argoman the Fantastic Superman at the MST3k live show and holy shit that movie is bonkers and highly recommended.
    https://youtu.be/z_2YX7RZwnw

04xkcuvaav19.png
  • Options
    edited July 2017
    -Tal wrote: »

well, dang.

you're literally being insincere in this post

oh shit, you're right

fuck now this sounds insincere as well, goddamnit

Hermano on

PSN- AHermano
  • Options
    Yeah no sorry mate

I used that word without thinking too hard about it. I do seriously disagree with that interpretation of the film, but i didn't mean to say that you were being insincere about it.

Sorry

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Pacific Rim is a movie that I enjoyed in the cinema for its fight scenes but when I rewatched it on Netflix I found those fight scenes muddled and unclear.

It's also in the group of movies that I would probably look upon much more fondly if it didn't seem like the entire forum was given over to praising its absolute genius for months upon months.

• Options
    Yeah no sorry mate

I used that word without thinking too hard about it. I do seriously disagree with that interpretation of the film, but i didn't mean to say that you were being insincere about it.

Sorry

Fair enough, no worries. I can accept I could be wrong, I'm wrong a lot of the time, it's just really how the movie felt when I watched it

PSN- AHermano
This discussion has been closed.