As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

Homeowner/House Thread: It's going to cost more than you expect

• DoodmannDoodmann Registered User regular
    And now he came over and apologized and said he was just worried that we hadn't pulled a permit for any of this and since it encroaches that would put him on the hook if we hadn't.

*flips table*

At least he clarified and spoke to me like an adult.

Whippy wrote: »
    nope nope nope nope abort abort talk about anime
    Sometimes I sell my stuff on Ebay
  • JragghenJragghen Registered User regular
    Jragghen wrote: »
    Looks like I'm going to be cutting out one of my sprinkler motors and replacing it. Or filter. Or something.

Woke up this morning to one of our sections going full blast, turning off all sprinklers did nothing, so I had to cut the water to all our sprinkler lines. Guessing it'd been running for about 6 hours. Awesome.

Wish my friend who knows all this stuff hadn't moved away :p

Okay, got it fixed. Not too bad. I wish Home Depot sold just the diaphragms because I think I could have fixed just the part instead of the entire solonoid valve, but hey, everything is working correctly now. And now when the others inevitably fail, I know what to do! Also I learned how those things work. Interesting.

• ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    That_Guy wrote: »
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    I have a fridge with a lower drawer freezer that is starting to make this intermittent kind of high humming noise that seems to be coming from the bottom of it. Also it did freeze all of our cubes into a large chunk and it seems like there's frosty build up against the back inside wall. My question is, is the frost a cause or a symptom? What should I be checking out more in depth?

Icing at the back of the freezer could indicate the drain line might be clogged. The noise could be the defrost cycle running without any water in it.

Your freezer is designed so that, if frost is going to build up some place, it'll be back behind the far inside wall of the freezer. Back there is a condenser coil and a drain system. On high end units there may even be a small water pump. Frost builds up back there. Every so often the coils heat up, melting the ice away. Liquid enters a drain spout to exit the freezer cavity to an evaporation tray under the fridge. The drain line that allows the melted ice to exit the freezer cavity can sometimes freeze over. This will cause ice to build up in the back of the freezer, closest to the coil assembly.

There are 2 ways to fix this. A right way and a fast/easy way. The right way is to empty the entire fridge/freezer, turn it off and let the entire system come up to room temp. Take the inside back wall of the freezer out and clean everything with a vinegar water mix and a toothbrush. Take special care to clean the drain line as that can get clogged with shmoo. The fast/easy way is to just take your food out but leave the thing running. You chip away all the ice and take the back wall out. You chip away as much ice as you can. Get a pot of boiling hot water and use a turkey baster to melt the ice clogging the drain hole.

Finally, eventually your ice cubes will fuse together even at sub 0 temps. As the ice sublimates, some of the vapor condenses between cubes and will eventually fuse them together.

Please don't chip away at the ice. If you want to de-ice your fridge quickly, use a fabric steamer instead. It'll do the job fast and you won't break your fridge.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • AiouaAioua Ora Occidens Ora OptimaRegistered User regular
    Another day of looking at condos.

The current front runner is in a good spot, really nice inside with new floors and nice counters/appliances/storage, and a private garage.

It's only 650 square feet though. I'd need to get on that tiny house lifestyle.

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    bad things happen, no one knows why / the sun burns out and everyone dies
    Aioua wrote: »

The current front runner is in a good spot, really nice inside with new floors and nice counters/appliances/storage, and a private garage.

650 isn't that bad. It's one bedroom right? You'd be surprised what you can do with 650.

What does a private garage mean? That sounds very tempting.

Doodmann wrote: »

650 isn't that bad. It's one bedroom right? You'd be surprised what you can do with 650.

Yeah 1br

It's a 1-car garage like you'd see on a single family home.
    The door in the garage opens right into the kitchen!

life's a game that you're bound to lose / like using a hammer to pound in screws
    fuck up once and you break your thumb / if you're happy at all then you're god damn dumb
    that's right we're on a fucked up cruise / God is dead but at least we have booze
    That seems pretty great for 1-2 people.

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    seriously i want that.

aeNqQM9.jpg
  • AridholAridhol Daddliest Catch Registered User regular
    And now he came over and apologized and said he was just worried that we hadn't pulled a permit for any of this and since it encroaches that would put him on the hook if we hadn't.

*flips table*

Hey, I'm not sure of the laws in your region but you need to absolutely get this neighbour on record that he is ok with that 3" encroachment.
    You might even need a survey done to a) prove it and b) maybe move the property line (at your cost of course).

Otherwise, "that wall isn't yours and thanks very much for building it" - neighbour

Never, ever, take someone's word about stuff like this. I wouldn't even take my mom's word about it. Get that shit written down.

• Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hooray! After years of it being on the list, I finally got around to booking in getting our ancient, single skin, rusting metal, heating oil tank replaced with something up to current regs before there's a horrific leak incident.

Though now I've got '8 days to retirement' tension and am worried it's all going to spontaneously explode in the few weeks before they come to do the work.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • QuidQuid Definitely not a banana Registered User regular
    If I was still single I’d be pretty happy with that. I like our sizable townhouse but it definitely drives us to fill it with stuff we don’t need.

• DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular

The house I'm moving out of is 800sqft. Plenty comfy for 2 people and our 2 dogs. That space goes further than you'd think!

edited September 2018
    Aridhol wrote: »

*flips table*

Hey, I'm not sure of the laws in your region but you need to absolutely get this neighbour on record that he is ok with that 3" encroachment.
    You might even need a survey done to a) prove it and b) maybe move the property line (at your cost of course).

Otherwise, "that wall isn't yours and thanks very much for building it" - neighbour

Never, ever, take someone's word about stuff like this. I wouldn't even take my mom's word about it. Get that shit written down.

Yeah the survey was already done so I know exactly where its going over the line. The encroaching part is non-structural so if he wants to be a complete asshole we'll cut the bricks in half and make his side look like shit.

...I may have had time to stew about all this before he clarified his concern.

Doodmann on
  • That_GuyThat_Guy I don't wanna be that guy Registered User regular

The house I'm moving out of is 800sqft. Plenty comfy for 2 people and our 2 dogs. That space goes further than you'd think!

For real. My 2 bed townhome is just shy of 1000 sqft and it really feels like too much for one person. I'm really glad I didn't buy a 3 bed place.

• SimpsoniaSimpsonia Registered User regular
    About 2 months ago I mentioned that we put a couple offers in on a condo, and ended up walking because we couldn't come to an agreement with the owner over an appraisal. After checking new listings every day for the last 2 months and not finding anything, we keep seeing the place on the market still. We ended up going back and putting a new bid. Seller was a little more reasonable, but not too much. But, we ended up going under contract. I really hope the inspection doesn't turn up anything, because I think if we had to get any concessions, that might turn into a nightmare. So crossing our fingers about that.

Now the downside, we need to find renters to take over our current lease, for a Dec 1 move-in. I'm kinda nervous about that....

• KruiteKruite Registered User regular

*flips table*

To be fair doodman, he has to raise an objection. Local law here states that if 20 yrs pass with no action taken on a property border dispute, the "squater" gets the land.

Kruite wrote: »

*flips table*

To be fair doodman, he has to raise an objection. Local law here states that if 20 yrs pass with no action taken on a property border dispute, the "squater" gets the land.

Oh I know, he just came at me kind of flustered and weird. I was worried he decided to burn bridges with me or something after talking to the asshole neighbor.

We're planning to do a share fence so I'm going to write up a whole summary of the encroachment and how it was planned as part of the shared fence (to make it look better) and have us all sign it.

• joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    We have a 3br/2ba 1214 sqft cape cod with a finished basement bumping the living space up another 700 sqft.
    It's the perfect amount of space for 2.5 humans but I would sell it in a heartbeat if I was a single because all of my worldly belongings wouldn't fill a single room.

Yeah it'll be me and (assuming things continue to go well) my girlfriend. And a giant cat and a tiny dog.

There's a niceness to the small place where its like, if it's all messy we can be like 'deep cleaning time!' and maybe two hours it's back to spotless

a 2 bed 1200sqft place that's not so likely

• DaimarDaimar A Million Feet Tall of Awesome Registered User regular
    a 2 bed 1200sqft place that's not so likely

Can confirm.

steam_sig.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Cleaning is certainly going to be a big change at the new place as it's 2000sqft now up from that 800 I'm in now.

It's still just 2 people and 2 dogs though so hopefully won't be too much actual messy stuff. Just... more open spaces to dust?

Cleaning is certainly going to be a big change at the new place as it's 2000sqft now up from that 800 I'm in now.

It's still just 2 people and 2 dogs though so hopefully won't be too much actual messy stuff. Just... more open spaces to dust?

Hire someone. Unless you find joy and tranquility in dusting, hire someone.

• CauldCauld Registered User regular

Yeah 1br

It's a 1-car garage like you'd see on a single family home.
    The door in the garage opens right into the kitchen!

Yeah, I've lived in a smaller 1br than that for 8 yrs. Only moving because we had a baby.

• MugsleyMugsley DelawareRegistered User regular
    Speaking of size, I believe our house is around 2400 sq ft and our daughters asked us last week if they could share a bedroom instead of having their own.

(....they want to make a YT studio out of the other. They are both under 10)

I may have grown up with just a brother, but I'm old enough to know they will want their own rooms within the next 5 years anyway -- or at least the older one will.

• hawkboxhawkbox Registered User regular
    There are 2 of us with a dog and 2 cats and our place is way bigger than needed. 1961 house (1 story with basement? whatever that is called) that was 3 bedroom converted to 2 bedroom. It's the garage that sold us on the place, though now I need a bigger garage for my hobbies.

hawkbox wrote: »
    There are 2 of us with a dog and 2 cats and our place is way bigger than needed. 1961 house (1 story with basement? whatever that is called) that was 3 bedroom converted to 2 bedroom. It's the garage that sold us on the place, though now I need a bigger garage for my hobbies.

I was going to call it a Craftsman, but I think those had a second floor (and a distinct architectural style). I think it's just a bungalow.

I have submitted an offer.

*screams internally*

*screams externally*

*screams externally*

it's important you wait until you get out of the bank to do this one.

edited September 2018
    *screams externally*

You'll be fine.

Until, you know, they give you the keys and say "Congratulations! You now own a thing that's more expensive than all your other stuff put together and it's a million percent on you to not break it. Happy adulting!"

Aridhol on
  • joshgotrojoshgotro Deviled Egg The Land of REAL CHILIRegistered User regular
    And fix it even if you don't break it.

Home ownership is the best/worst thing I ever did. I love/hate it every day.

:)

• Knight_Knight_ Dead Dead Dead Registered User regular
    *screams externally*

it's important you wait until you get out of the bank to do this one.

if you weren't screaming internally and externally a visit to the bank will certainly cause that.

i know it did for me.

aeNqQM9.jpg
    COMPOST FASTER COMPOSTER

• SeñorAmorSeñorAmor !!! Registered User regular
    Mulch ado about nothing.

• MadpoetMadpoet Registered User regular
    Just had my offer accepted. Will close with enough time to get a few decorations up and hand out candy!
    My wife is an absolute wreck. I am gleefully planning out every inch of the house. We're gonna have Nest shit everywhere, and the closet sucks, so I'm getting a wardrobe, and I have a den since I'm working from home and maybe it'll be purple and....

...reality is so going to punch me in the face, but Halloween can't get here fast enough.

Hmm. Looks like raccoons got frustrated with the clamp and knocked my trash can over. This knocked the clamp off but I think the weight of the can kept them from opening the top afterward.

That or the giant can falling scared them.

Quid wrote: »
    Hmm. Looks like raccoons got frustrated with the clamp and knocked my trash can over. This knocked the clamp off but I think the weight of the can kept them from opening the top afterward.

That or the giant can falling scared them.

Now all I can picture is you as John Candy and the raccoons from Great Outdoors

https://youtu.be/qBv-qIAtW5A

edited September 2018
    Offer was accepted.

Now to set up an inspection and do the other million things.

Aioua on
  • bowenbowen How you doin'? Registered User regular
    tbh I'd rather be responsible for it breaking myself

rent already has shit breaking factored into it

and plus I can actually pick things and spend an extra 10% so it'll break in 10+ years instead of 8 months.

not a doctor, not a lawyer, examples I use may not be fully researched so don't take out of context plz, don't @ me
This discussion has been closed.