As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

WuShockWuShock Lawful GoodSouth BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
edited September 2018 in Social Entropy++
The U.S. handles Costa Rica 2-0 and Deuce ties the USMNT scoring record. (Woo!)

Sporting KC drew with Real Salt Lake (meh), and FC Wichita lost in the NPSL regional semifinal (damn).

fcwichita-128x128.png

Let's talk footy.

Twixxo wrote:
WuShock is the best
He is the very bestest
I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

WuShock on

• Options
    WuShockWuShock Lawful Good South BrownbackistanRegistered User regular
    Do, or not do. There is no Tri.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    There is a soccer thread! It's called the football thread!

I'm not finding it though. It might be long gone now.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, it doesn't get a lot of posts and it's rather old, I see no harm in a new thread.

Been loosely following the Neymar-to-PSG talk and its fascinating to watch.

• Options
    edited July 2017
    There is a soccer thread! It's called the football thread!

I'm not finding it though. It might be long gone now.

Yeah, when I dug down past the Minecraft thread and didn't find it, I figured it was fair play for a new one.

It's nice to see Mexico's run of never winning an international tournament not on its own soil continues unabated. My son, a retired goalkeeper at 14, saw the free kick and said, "Why didn't he keep going? He could have blocked that!"

WuShock on
    Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Dyvim TvarDyvim Tvar Registered User regular
    Goose! wrote: »
    Yeah, it doesn't get a lot of posts and it's rather old, I see no harm in a new thread.

I'm pretty sure this is PSG's go-to tactic now to get Barcelona to fuck off and leave there players alone. I vaguely recall it happening with Messi while Barce were supposed to be in for Thiago Silva, PSG just play the "We can afford the buy out clause, and we're even willing to foot the tax bill to give the money straight to the player if you make us so stop fucking with us." card and Barcelona quietly go away.

I love it. Football transfer rumours are so dumb, I've seen one tabloid rag claiming that Ronaldo has phoned Neymar to tell him not to go to PSG and instead insist on a transfer to Man Utd. Transfer rumour mongering looks more fun than writing fiction sometimes since you don't seem to have to adhere to any rules of logic at all.

Everyone is different. Everyone is special.
  • Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    edited July 2017
    I wasn't able to watch either gold cup game this weekend, but after seeing the US Costa Rica result I was all ready for another US Mexico match.

No idea what to expect from Jamaica

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Dyvim Tvar wrote: »

I'm pretty sure this is PSG's go-to tactic now to get Barcelona to fuck off and leave there players alone. I vaguely recall it happening with Messi while Barce were supposed to be in for Thiago Silva, PSG just play the "We can afford the buy out clause, and we're even willing to foot the tax bill to give the money straight to the player if you make us so stop fucking with us." card and Barcelona quietly go away.

I love it. Football transfer rumours are so dumb, I've seen one tabloid rag claiming that Ronaldo has phoned Neymar to tell him not to go to PSG and instead insist on a transfer to Man Utd. Transfer rumour mongering looks more fun than writing fiction sometimes since you don't seem to have to adhere to any rules of logic at all.

im 99% sure every transfer rumour is just the player's agent telling a reporter something so that the player can get a new contract

like how ronaldo to united comes up every year or two, then magically madrid sign a new contract a few months later or whatever

• Options
    I think we can agree that Clint Dempsey is a national treasure.

After the Panama game, this seemed like a lot to ask for. Bruce Arena may not be the coach we asked for, but he is the coach we deserve.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    Oh ... oh no Eibar.

At least it was only a friendly. Aupa Eibar.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Anyone have Opinions(tm) on Kellyn Acosta?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Tonight brought a close to my own winter league for 2017; a 7-2 win to place us outright 3rd on the final table with only 3 losses through the year (although a few too many draws to place higher).

We had a full roster of defenders tonight, so I got to to play the entire game without a minute in the backline, something that hasn't happened in I think 3 or 4 seasons. Scored a brace and provided 2 or 3 assists, so I'd say I acquitted the faith shown in me. And just had a really enjoyable night, where I played the positions well and enjoyed the spirit of the game. We went into the match tied on points with the other team, but with a better goal difference, so a win for them would have seen them into third and us 4th or 5th, so it wasn't without stakes. But both sides played in a really jovial, fair and honest fashion, where we're all just aware of the fact that we're all there for a good time and love of the game, so it brought the end of the league to a nice close.

There may be a friendly or two left in the season; the sporting calendar has a few more weeks to run, but it will depend on playing surfaces and ground availability so there's no guarantees given. IF there's more games, great. If not, it's been a great year, and I can hope that my body continues to hold together for another go next year.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    As someone who just went through two surgeries in the hope of maybe just kicking around a ball again without pain shooting down my legs, I am happy for you!

Everton stays at the top of the table for at least a week! And Liverpool ... doesn't.

Twixxo wrote:
    WuShock is the best
    He is the very bestest
    I wish I was him

rx9e87jbbz0w.png

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    Tonight brought a close to my own winter league for 2017; a 7-2 win to place us outright 3rd on the final table with only 3 losses through the year (although a few too many draws to place higher).

We had a full roster of defenders tonight, so I got to to play the entire game without a minute in the backline, something that hasn't happened in I think 3 or 4 seasons. Scored a brace and provided 2 or 3 assists, so I'd say I acquitted the faith shown in me. And just had a really enjoyable night, where I played the positions well and enjoyed the spirit of the game. We went into the match tied on points with the other team, but with a better goal difference, so a win for them would have seen them into third and us 4th or 5th, so it wasn't without stakes. But both sides played in a really jovial, fair and honest fashion, where we're all just aware of the fact that we're all there for a good time and love of the game, so it brought the end of the league to a nice close.

There may be a friendly or two left in the season; the sporting calendar has a few more weeks to run, but it will depend on playing surfaces and ground availability so there's no guarantees given. IF there's more games, great. If not, it's been a great year, and I can hope that my body continues to hold together for another go next year.

I feel like I remember you saying you were thinking of hanging up your boots a year/2 years ago? Glad to see you're still turning out.

• Options
    MadEddyMadEddy Creepy house watching youRegistered User regular
    I keep scrolling past and thinking this is the Sorcerer thread.

ruby-red-sig.jpg
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »

I feel like I remember you saying you were thinking of hanging up your boots a year/2 years ago? Glad to see you're still turning out.

My ongoing imminent retirement has become something of a running joke in my football team. I've had one or two bad knocks over the years, and every time I'm forced out for a week or three, I wonder if this is the one that I'm not coming back from. Every year I'm a yard slower, and my turning circles keep getting wider, and my knees definitely are showing their age. Last season was the first one where I really stopped being able to last a full 90 minutes. But I still have vision, a sharp pass and the ability to read the game. And I love it, even as age slowly robs me of the vigour of youth, I still enjoy being out there for every minute I'm on the field. I can't deny that the longer recovery times are becoming more of a weight, but if I can have another year avoiding making heavy tackles and lighter workloads then I might make it to the Giggs/Maldini benchmark of playing into my 40th year.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
  • Options

There seems to be a pattern forming here

• Options
    Imagine what coutinho will do for 150 million!

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    An own goal, late goals by Honduras and Panama, and Jurgen Klinnsmann's shoddy work in the early part of qualifying have finally done it: USMNT fails to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.

• Options
    EuphemonEuphemon itsudemo sagashiteiruyo dokka ni kimi no sugata woRegistered User regular
    edited October 2017
    An own goal, late goals by Honduras and Panama, and Jurgen Klinnsmann's shoddy work in the early part of qualifying have finally done it: USMNT fails to qualify for the 2018 World Cup.
    I don't want to defend Klinsmann, but Arena has to shoulder a big portion of the blame here. Some of his tactical choices...his PLAYER SELECTION...Even on the direct results comparison, he barely did better than Klinsmann.

But honestly, there's no way that they should not have made it out of the Hex, regardless of manager. The US players just...aren't very good in general atm. Injuries didn't help, obviously.

Euphemon on
    iG3kv1d.png
  • Options
    RoyallyFlushedRoyallyFlushed Registered User regular
    Klinsmann set us up poorly against Mexico at home, but losing to the other two best teams in the region was not what sunk this ship. Literally all we had to do was DRAW the worst team in the hex (literally a 1-9 W/L record before tonight) to advance in an automatic qualifying spot, and the team was not set up to bunker in and be hard to score on despite the fact that our defense has looked incredibly shaky throughout the campaign otherwise.

Bruce Arena had historically led us to one of our worst World Cup group stages before, and has now led us to one of our worst qualifying campaigns too. Obviously a lot of the team has to shoulder the blame as well, but frankly they've already paid the price in that most of them will be too old to be relevant by the time the world cup comes knocking again.

• Options
  • Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    MLS Playoffs are in full swing.

I am drinking Oregon beer and wearing the same shirt I had on during every game of the title run.

PT! *clapclap* FC! *clapclap*

sl3j7p4aoqhp.png

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Oh, we have a thread again?

Waffling on whether or not to get 2018 dc united season tickets.

Pullin for the crew to come out of nowhere and take the cup simply fueled by the need to stick it to their owner.

No Great Name on
    PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    NYCFC falls 1 goal shy of what would've been an awesome comeback and are knocked out of their first ever playoff appearance by the Movers. Pirlo is officially retired.

I know it would be great for Columbus fans if they won the MLS Cup right before the team left town, but the owner(s) do not deserve it.

• Options
    Jozy Altidore suuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuucks

sirtoons.png
  • Options

Wherein Christian has some thoughts on US youth soccer, mostly.

• Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Italy has now officially NOT qualified for the 2018 World Cup.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Soccer? More like foot ball

wait fuck

• Options
    a5ehren wrote: »
    Italy has now officially NOT qualified for the 2018 World Cup.

It would have been a bit unjust for them to go through with either two goals or on pks, as they had two clear hand balls in the box that didn't garner pks for Sweden.

However their lackluster offense provided no goals so it didn't end up mattering.

• Options
    In before US Soccer tries to use Italy's failure to act like they're not equal failures

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    My usual WC rooting interests are in shambles this time around.

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Calling it now: USM will put on a tournament next summer featuring the US, Chile, the Netherlands, and Italy.

• Options
    Cameroon, Ghana....

Australia?

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    The Socceroos managed to escape San Pedro Sula with a 0-0 draw, I kinda like their odds to qualify.

And probably Ivory Coast over Cameroon, I'd think?

• Options
    With the US out I figured since my wife has Irish heritage and I have Danish we should get together and watch the Irish Danish playoff.

If the Irish win we'd root for Ireland in the cup.

If the Danish win (as they did) we'd root for Denmark, and by that I mean I'll root for debate while my wife will apparently hate them for beating the Irish.

This....this may not have been the best plan.

• Options
    Ireland were terrible.

Just terrible.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    With the US out I figured since my wife has Irish heritage and I have Danish we should get together and watch the Irish Danish playoff.

If the Irish win we'd root for Ireland in the cup.

If the Danish win (as they did) we'd root for Denmark, and by that I mean I'll root for debate while my wife will apparently hate them for beating the Irish.

This....this may not have been the best plan.

My best advice, tell the wife to Google Image Search "Thomas Delaney". Who also has some Irish heritage, so they're kinda represented at the World Cup.

But how can you hate Christian Eriksen, especially after today?

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    David_T wrote: »
    But how can you hate Christian Eriksen, especially after today?

Quite easily, it turns out.

• Options
    3 goals against the Irish, the bastard!