As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    it's funny. Geiger (the ref) has a certain history with...Panama matches. I didn't think I'd see him here on the WC. It's kinda nice/sad to see him fuck up another game. This guy always loses control of Concacaf matches.

He brought it back at the end.

• Options
    3cl1ps33cl1ps3 I will build a labyrinth to house the cheese Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    England's probably going out on PKs here. Damn shame after how brilliantly they played the first 93 minutes.

edit: did I speak too soon?!

edit2: I SPOKE TOO SOON!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    ph blakeph blake Registered User regular
    Huh.

I honestly did not expect that, especially after that first save

7h8wnycre6vs.png
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    you did @3clipse

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Ok, this match was not my favorite, but it was still pretty great.

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Jesus wept that was tense

• Options
    Reginald wrote: »
    Ok, this match was not my favorite, but it was still pretty great.

The middle was horrible but it got great towards the end of regular time.

• Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    phew

• Options
    man it feels weird knowing there's no more WC matches until Friday... better boot up Fifa I guess

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    can someone explain how time gets extended in Soccer? Because I've tried to read up on it and I just don't understand. It just seems like sometimes the ref can...add time??? To the game? But even then that can be changed and added to?

It seems like the craziest way to address a time limit in a sport.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    cursedking wrote: »
    can someone explain how time gets extended in Soccer? Because I've tried to read up on it and I just don't understand. It just seems like sometimes the ref can...add time??? To the game? But even then that can be changed and added to?

The referee is the sole timekeeper. In essence, the end of each half is when he deems that 45 minutes have been played. The clock on the scoreboard and TV is not official. When the "extra time" is added on at the end of each half, the referee indicates that there will be at least that much more time beyond what the scoreboad clock is showing.

This FiveThirtEight article gets into some of the nitty gritty about the rules and how often not enough time is actually added.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular

injury/stoppage time is added to account for arguing, bookings, penalty decision making etc eating into the clock, that's why it's variable. If there's further things that would incur injury time during that period a small amount extra is usually played at the discretion of the ref.

If there's a tie after full time, there's 15 minutes extra each way, then if it's still tied, penalty kicks.

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    ASimPerson wrote: »

The referee is the sole timekeeper. In essence, the end of each half is when he deems that 45 minutes have been played. The clock on the scoreboard and TV is not official. When the "extra time" is added on at the end of each half, the referee indicates that there will be at least that much more time beyond what the scoreboad clock is showing.

This FiveThirtEight article gets into some of the nitty gritty about the rules and how often not enough time is actually added.

ok awesome, thanks - is there like...a reason they don't just stop the clock for that sort of stuff like in other sports with timekeeping?

It just seems like the system is super primed for a dude to keep the game going or end it sooner because the team he likes is playing.

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular

its extremely archaic. im honestly not sure why they don't implement hard stops whenever the ball is out of play, other than tradition. like its almost a cool oddity to the sport, except its horribly managed (as mentioned before, almost never is an accurate amount added), and abused by players all over the place, and contributes to a hideously slow last 15 (at least) minutes in so many games that it really should be removed.

• Options
    I mean it took what....100 years to get some Video Refeering in the WC?

• Options
    It is certainly one of the wildest things I've encountered in a modern sport. Like baseball doesn't have a clock but it also doesn't truly need one. The outs are the clock, essentially.

to have a sport that's like "i dunno, I'm just kind of eye-balling it" wrt time keeping is kind of worth celebrating

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    They only added the 4th official announcing the amount of additional time at the '94 World Cup. USA were hosting and they were worried the US audiences and crowds would get confused when they kept playing after 45.

Before that you just had to kinda guess.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    I really doubt the way time is kept will be changed anytime in the future. I might be wrong, but I've gotten the impression from the rest of the soccer playing world that the need for exact time-keeping is an American thing so it won't happen.

• Options
    as a Latin American, I still think the "purity of the sport" is such a BS excuse when it comes to introducing technology to futbol. I suppose they have to keep alive the match fixing somehow in some leagues.

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I don't think it'll ever change for the simple reason that there's only about 60 minutes of actual playing during a 90 minute match and no one wants to be the one that changes a game of football from 90 minutes to 60. It just wouldn't be right.

There's also a worry that if the clock stops when the ball goes out of play, then starting the game again becomes less pressing since no time is being lost and wouldn't this be the perfect time for a word from our sponsors?

And thirdly, playing slow is one of the way less talented teams narrow the gap to more talented teams. You can think of that what you will, if it should be a thing or if eliminating something like that would be good for the game, but it wouldn't be good for those less talented teams and they have no reason to support such a change. If you're gonna change something like that, you need widespread approval.

Now don't get me started on people wanting to eliminate the offside rule...

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    FIFA are also really committed to trying to keep the professional game as close as possible to the grassroots version that is played around the world. For a long time they held off on progression basically because they wanted the World Cup Final to be played under essentially the same rules and conditions to what the Stumpington vs. Brackwill Marsh under-12's experience on a Saturday morning.

It's an admirable and noble ideal, if slightly naive, but I get why they did that. The idea that there isn't any real difference between the game people play and the game people watch - that the only difference is the talent of the people on the pitch - is compelling. And the idea that there isn't some technological gulf that puts the game out of reach for those in poverty or developing nations; that it's possible to compete at the highest level without requiring investment in advanced goalline technology or video replay facilities, the game remains open to all, from the bottom to the top: yeah, I can see the argument for why they held off as long as they did.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    DrCongoDrCongo Registered User, ClubPA regular
    What the hell, two days without world cup football? What am I supposed to do now? D:

• Options
    AkimboLegsAkimboLegs Registered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    FIFA are also really committed to trying to keep the professional game as close as possible to the grassroots version that is played around the world. For a long time they held off on progression basically because they wanted the World Cup Final to be played under essentially the same rules and conditions to what the Stumpington vs. Brackwill Marsh under-12's experience on a Saturday morning.

It's an admirable and noble ideal, if slightly naive, but I get why they did that. The idea that there isn't any real difference between the game people play and the game people watch - that the only difference is the talent of the people on the pitch - is compelling. And the idea that there isn't some technological gulf that puts the game out of reach for those in poverty or developing nations; that it's possible to compete at the highest level without requiring investment in advanced goalline technology or video replay facilities, the game remains open to all, from the bottom to the top: yeah, I can see the argument for why they held off as long as they did.

i have heard this argument but i dont think it holds much water in regards to better time management.

having a referee who remembers to pause his 45 minute timer when the ball goes out of play is not a technological advancement that would be hard to implement. its not going to be as fancy as whatever they install for top class games, but much in the same way most junior leagues only have 1-2 refs (who dont have headsets) anyway, so they aren't being refereed to the same standard in the first place, so why is this the part thats ok to forego?

VAR and goal-line tech, I agree those are pretty much beyond 99% of games, so if it was truly their mandate, they would never have added it. that said i think most people agree that VAR/GLT have improved what we're watching (especially in removing and properly penalizing some of the dirtier incidents - barios' headbutt notwithstanding), and I still enjoy going out and playing in indoor leagues without them, so theres no reason both cant exist - i dont think it changes the game in the way that fifa like to suggest.

• Options
    ReginaldReginald When I am Pres., I will create the Department of ______Registered User regular
    Both France and Uruguay looking a bit sloppy today, with some signs of danger.

• Options
    Big goal there for France. Seems like the last few games a lot of key goals have been scored following a hard foul.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    AkimboLegs wrote: »
    Fishman wrote: »

i have heard this argument but i dont think it holds much water in regards to better time management.

having a referee who remembers to pause his 45 minute timer when the ball goes out of play is not a technological advancement that would be hard to implement. its not going to be as fancy as whatever they install for top class games, but much in the same way most junior leagues only have 1-2 refs (who dont have headsets) anyway, so they aren't being refereed to the same standard in the first place, so why is this the part thats ok to forego?

VAR and goal-line tech, I agree those are pretty much beyond 99% of games, so if it was truly their mandate, they would never have added it. that said i think most people agree that VAR/GLT have improved what we're watching (especially in removing and properly penalizing some of the dirtier incidents - barios' headbutt notwithstanding), and I still enjoy going out and playing in indoor leagues without them, so theres no reason both cant exist - i dont think it changes the game in the way that fifa like to suggest.

Yeah I'm not really sure "have a stop watch" is some sort of technological impossibility for 99% of teams.

I mean, my kid already plays soccer at the Y and they do use a stopwatch to chop it up into 4 15 minute segments of play

cursedking on
  • Options
    holy shit

• Options
    Alright Belgium let's continue the proud tradition of Germanic countries embarrassing Brazil.

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    I mean, if Brazil's going to score your goals for you . . .

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    A good start!

edit: Even better!

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    If I was a Brazil fan I'd be screaming for Jesus to be subbed off.

They look a lot better with Firmino on the pitch.

• Options
    God this Brazilian team plays so dang dirty. I wouldn't mind it so much if they didn't flop around like gutted fish anytime another player so much as breathes on them.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    So the referee has decided to stop calling penalties when Brazilian players push people to the ground or literally grab their arm and yank them off their feet I guess?

edit: The referee appears to have realized that he should, in fact, be enforcing the rules that say the Brazilian players cannot go around shoving people to the ground.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    It's not 7-1 but I'll take it!

Eat shit Neymar.

edit: Man every time Brazil loses in the world cup the fans in the stadium look like a loved one just died next to them.

3cl1ps3 on
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Bye, Brazil. Won't miss you.

France/Belgium is gonna be a hell of a game.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    Also, England should just walk to the Final, which is why it'll be hilarious when Sweden knock them out tomorrow.

• Options
    heja sverige!

• Options
    Dreaded 2 goal lead for England, now. 2 good headers.

• Options
    England looking absolutely dominant and in total control of this game.

The few times they've gotten some good looks at the goal, Pickford's just been an absolute brick wall.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    Pickford, The Man With Ten Thousand Arms

England take it 2-0, in convincing fashion. This squad looks goooooooood.

Croatia/Russia up next at 2 EST/11 PST!

3cl1ps3 on