As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

USMNT: The Next [Soccer] Generation

• Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    As an american with irish-italian heritage I just don't know what to do. Hope a first timer wins I guess!!

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    ASimPersonASimPerson Cold... and hard.Registered User regular
    Australia eliminates Honduras 3-1 on aggregate, thus twisting the twist even further for me personally :?

Anyway, go All-Whites tonight!

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Ugh. Peru take the last spot, 2-0 in Lima. Peru dictated the game, but it wasn't pretty from them either. Dodgy tactics, and a strong helping hand from a ref who called the game from the first 20 seconds as if he had already decided who was going to win. Like, seriously, 20 seconds in there was the clearest penalty for the All Whites not given. No doubting Peru's skill level, but the underhanded dirty gamesmanship makes it hard to say they deserve it or earned it.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Cup draw is out
    Rip in pieces Australia

• Options
    The JudgeThe Judge The Terwilliger CurvesRegistered User regular
    The complete list:

Group A: Russia, Saudi Arabia, Egypt, Uruguay
    Group B: Portugal, Spain, Morocco, Iran
    Group C: France, Australia, Peru, Denmark
    Group D: Argentina, Iceland, Croatia, Nigeria
    Group E: Brazil, Switzerland, Costa Rica, Serbia
    Group F: Germany, Mexico, Sweden, South Korea
    Group G: Belgium, Panama, Tunisia, England
    Group H: Poland, Senegal, Colombia, Japan

Last pint: Turmoil CDA / Barley Brown's - Untappd: TheJudge_PDX
  • Options
    a5ehrena5ehren AtlantaRegistered User regular
    Also Group A is...not great.

• Options
    honoverehonovere Registered User regular
    The whole line up seems...off, kinda. So many missing big names.

• Options
    WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    The closest thing to a group of death is c or d

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    I'd probably say H, actually. That's a slobberknocker. Last day of that could end up being bowling shoe ugly.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    I was saying over in D&D, the new draw process does seem to have worked to reduce the Group of Death effect.

I don't actually believe we'll see anything like the Groups of Death of the 90's again. I always found the idea rooted in a certain kind of vague elitism of football 'establishment' against the rise of the global game, anyway. The rise of Asian, North American, and African football (as well as less established European teams) has meant that the gulf between the big powers and the former 'minnows there to make up numbers' just doesn't hold the same weight as it used to, and having multiple groups where there are more than 2 real contenders is (and should) be considered the new normal baseline of a reasonable expectation.

• Options
    Muddy WaterMuddy Water Quiet Batperson Registered User regular
    This United-Arsenal game has been insane.

• Options
    PellaeonPellaeon Registered User regular
    Salah getting dragged down to the ground and grabbing his back 2 minutes in is not what anyone wants to see.

Well, anyone being Liverpool or Egypt

• Options
    Pellaeon wrote: »
    Salah getting dragged down to the ground and grabbing his back 2 minutes in is not what anyone wants to see.

Well, anyone being Liverpool or Egypt

What about..... russia?

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    That second Liverpool goal was just beautiful football.

• Options
    Liverpool up 3 at the half? A 3-3 draw is all but assured!
    -Spartak, probably

• Options
    Actually we'll take the 3 in the second half. Hell let's make it 4 - Liverpool, actually

• Options
    My indoor season came to an end tonight. Now I have to endure the leisurely off-season, where I don't have to kick a ball in anger again until the end of January.

[fidgets]

[Looks around]

Does anyone know where a guy can find a pick up game somewhere? Street ball, jogo bonito, futsal; I'm not fussy.

• Options
  • Options
    GettyImages-890057674.jpg

• Options
    January transfer window could potentially be insane.

• Options
    Reading 75 million, though that could be based on rumored price from the summer. Either way, Yeezus

• Options
    edited February 2018
    So, anyone else here big on a MLS team? Got season tickets to dc united agian for the first time since.... 2006? I can't remember.

It's... not so fun paying month to month for something I won't get to use for 140 days, but I guess that's better than people who pay all up front.

Also there's a bit of a rift going on between our front office and the supporter's clubs. They've chosen the white bread baby faced one as thier "official partner" and have cut out the rest. Things will be interesting in the stadium if their backpeddling isn't sufficient.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    I keep an eye on things with NYCFC but after seeing CFG bastardize it one too many times (the latest being taking Jack Harrison), and also still waiting for any goddamn news on a stadium, I'm pretty meh on them anymore.

• Options
    I'm not going to dig into you too hard re: stadiums, but D.C. waited 20 years. RFK has been literally crumbling around us.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    I'm not going to dig into you too hard re: stadiums, but D.C. waited 20 years. RFK has been literally crumbling around us.

RFK was a little frightening when I went to games in '07, so I can only imagine what an extra ten years has done.

The Timbers are on the road for the first five games this year due to stadium expansion stuff. That plus new coaching and this first month could be a little dicey.

• Options
    edited March 2018
    Whoops just contacted my ticket rep about geting my season tickets refunded because the d.c. united front office and the ass lickers in the screaming eagles have made attending d.c. united or supporting them monetarily in any way not something I ever want to do again.

No Great Name on
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Arsène Wenger will step down at the end of the season.

He's got to be the last of managers that go two decades plus at one club. Just doesn't happen anymore.

• Options
    Goose!Goose! That's me, honey Show me the way home, honeyRegistered User regular
    @No Great Name Did they ever sort that out?

• Options
    Nope, the screaming eagles, who are currently embroiled in sexual harassment claims and the bungling of those inquiries, are still the "official" supporters group and all other supporters groups have to go through them for things like tifo, instruments, and game day tickets.

Also season tickets are only refundable for people who move away. And while I have access to an address where I could claim as such I'll probably be selling some and attending some, as there is some ownership turnover at the moment. Hopefully these are growing pains of finally getting our own stadium and the rest of the fan base can rally and actually make some changes.

sirtoons.png
  • Options
    Bummer.

• Options
    There's not a big crowd here for European football, is there?

'Cause the Champions League has been insane this year and I'd love to discuss it here.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I love me some European Football, but I don't catch it as much as I used to because kickoff times are usually 3-6am and it's not as easy to fit into my life as much as I did a decade ago. Usually I just get a chance to review match reports on the morning news and that's about it, although I sometimes make an effort to catch the final.

Edit: Honestly, for a long time it was actually easier and more enjoyable to watch the Champions League than any other league, simply because you'd actually be able to follow most groups and games, where everything else was a grab bag of mid-tier competition teams from a handful of leagues wherever the rights were cheap that day.

Fishman on
  • Options
    There's not a big crowd here for European football, is there?

'Cause the Champions League has been insane this year and I'd love to discuss it here.

I thought Liverpool would win yesterday but I did NOT think they were going to be up by five goals at any point.

• Options
    edited April 2018
    I only started following the European leagues this year and Liverpool in particular at the recommendation of someone at a wedding this summer.

I recall after the first match thinking "well this Salah fellow is fast but can't seem to finish."

Haha, haha...ha.

Pellaeon on
  • Options
    Bayern would've won last night if they'd had a Salah. They made the chances but their finishing was dreadful.

Gods, it's going to be a Liverpool and Real Madrid final. The two teams I don't want winning this thing.

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    When I saw that Liverpool were four up I thought "well... Barcelona were four up at home, too"

As much as Liverpool will likely go through it's gonna be an exciting time in Rome next week

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    Liverpool makes it interesting as always by conceding some shaky goals, but does just enough over two legs to make it back to the CL finals!

They SHOULD be able to win it all l, but I'm sure Ronaldo/Real Madrid's dark pact with Satan will prevail somehow, and Salah, Fimino and Mane will all trip over each other going for a goal on open net and simultaneously all break legs, while karius will sprout soccer ball sized holes in his hands or some shit, and RM will win 3-2

• Options
    Seattle ThreadSeattle Thread Registered User regular
    Real Madrid v. Liverpool: Battle of the Most Insufferable Fans

kofz2amsvqm3.png
  • Options
    My own season kicked off a month ago, but between injury and illness I've been struggling to manage more than about 30-60 minutes a game.

I like to think it's because I've evolved into my next form...
    Kids football coach!

40110617650_51385f7a6b_c.jpg

My eldest had his first day of football today and was preeeeetty excited. The cycle continues...

• Options