As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Absolver] is out! Dark Honor/For Souls Action PvP!

doomybeardoomybear Hi PeopleRegistered User regular
edited September 2017 in Games and Technology
Resources at the bottom!

Reveal Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oX9dPFlEvnc

Launch Trailer
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=w0eypGqZtEQ

OFFICIAL WEBSITE

What is Absolver? It's an online martial arts game where you punch, kick, and sometimes stab other people, being developed by new guys SloClap. Players take the role of Prospects who join the Absolvers who maintain stability in the world. Everyone wears masks in this world, because why not? On your journey to becoming a real Absolver, your character will grow and learn martial arts and also slap a whole bunch of people along the way. Think of it as a kind of RPG online fighter thing.

The Standard Edition costs $29.99 - and the pre-order gives players a mask and outfit.
The Deluxe Edition costs $39.99 - and it comes with the mask and outfit, the soundtrack, and a digital artbook.
The Special Reserve Edition costs $74.99. It comes with the mask and outfit, a physical artbook, stickers, and a physical, wearable mask with mask stand. (no soundtrack apparently)

It's available on PS4, Steam, and GOG, and you can get the Special Reserve Edition here (if you go for this, make sure you select PC or PS4 correctly).

Here's a basic combat overview trailer thing:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PgOVrCEoIao

Here's stuff about multiplayer features:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3iSAci2JU

Here's a forty-seven minutes of different Absolver videos edited together:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1B19GWERxMk

The Game

So, if you don't want to watch those videos, here's some explanation as far as I understand the game so far.

Combat is, obviously, the main point of the game. The game is a brawler, and some have compared the gameplay to For Honor, but I've never played For Honor so I wouldn't know. Let's start with what everyone has in common: Characters can attack, guard, dash, feint, and move around. They have HP and stamina.

Characters' attacks come from two things: moves chosen from your combat deck and assigned to your stances. The combat deck is a collection of moves that you learn as you play the game - you can learn them by finding the enemy with the move, or you can find a mentor-friend who will help you learn it. Some moves will have special properties; for example, a jumping kick will avoid low attacks, and some attacks are guard breaking attacks. You assign these moves to four stances, and there is generally a chain of three primary attacks or an alternate attack. Moves can transition your character into other stances, or you can have the moves stay in the same stance. Alternate attacks end your chain of attacks early, and they can help keep you unpredictable.

If you time your attacks well, your character glows yellow and you perform your attacks a little bit faster. Feints can also be performed, and they are telegraphed with a big black shadow thing.

Every character also uses a special style, which comes with a unique defense, that helps define your character: the Forsaken style allows you to parry left or right, and a successful parry gives you an opening to attack. Kahlt lets your character absorb an attack without any knockback or interruption, and if your counterattack is successful, you regain your health. Windfall lets your character perform a quick duck or jump and empowers counterattacks after these dodges. Those are the three beginning styles - Stagger is a fourth style based on drunken boxing, and I don't know too much about it right now. Some moves are related to certain styles and get a bonus if match them (e.g. a drunken boxing style punch may match Stagger style and do more damage).

This game also has RPG elements: your character will level up and use equipment. Armor is important - heavier armor may provide more protection but also slow your character. The crystals you see in the videos are called tension crystals, and they are generated in combat. Tension crystals allow you to use powers, such as healing or an AoE knockback, or you can summon your weapon.

Most of the combat is unarmed, but there are two kinds of weapons that players can summon: swords or war gloves. These weapons get their own combat decks that you can customize. Weapons do more damage than punches and kicks, but if you get hit too much, you'll drop your weapon, which your opponent can pick up for themselves.

The bulk of the game is described as open world with seamless transitions between areas. You fight NPCs and stuff. Other players can load into your game, and they may or may not be friendly, and they may or may not be a higher or lower level than you. There is also a story about things. It's also a pretty place. Other than that, there appear to be endgame dungeons to tackle with friends, or you can PvP it up. And of course there is the fashion endgame.

For multiplayer features, players can join schools and gain ranks. Being under a mentor allows one to use moves from the mentor's combat deck, but only while being mentored. There are duels and combat trials and tournaments and ranked fights and stuff.

PA folks spreadsheet

Resources
https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/1daBCKJLmp8R-Lecohk--yGjLaiocSDDInZQdR4O8Zm0/edit#gid=1698220040

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB4dMlEL3zc

what a happy day it is
doomybear on

• Options
    BubsBubs Not Burbs ChicagoRegistered User regular
    edited July 2017
    YES
    You pretty much nailed it. This game has a lot going for it, and each wave of information has made it more and more appealing to me. I tried really hard to like For Honor, and I'm hoping this won't require as much effort. Or any effort.

The openish world aspect adds a lot, which I was kinda skeptical about before I got to play it for a bit. It feels great, and seems to have a lot more depth than it initially appeared.

I preordered, for $26 or something. I couldn't figure out what it's going to actually retail for but I'm on board regardless

Bubs on
    PSN: thewheelz
  • Options
    doomybeardoomybear Hi People Registered User regular
    It's $29.99 with 10% off, so that's like $26.99-ish, and I've already got it pre-ordered as well. There's a deluxe and a special limited edition version, which comes with a physical copy and you get a mask that you can wear (or something). It's expensive, though, of course.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Genji-GlovesGenji-Gloves Registered User regular
    I heard somewhere that you can actually be a instructor and train other players. Also learn moves after combating other players who attack you.

Looks very appealing.

• Options
    That system seems really cool, I'm hoping they release some more details about it. Sounds like you could spar with somebody to learn new attacks, which is something I'm surprised I haven't seen before.

Could also be a good way to level up alternate characters. I'm not sure if you can learn multiple styles on the same character or not

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    This looks really good, and sounds potentially amazing, but I don't know how "fighter-y" the game is actually going to be, because I have never been good at fighting games.

Also, this comes out the same day as the big XCOM 2 expansion...

• Options
    I got a chance to play it at E3, and it's really nothing like any traditional fighter. It's similar to For Honor in that it's a 3rd person 3D type, but that's where the similarity ends.

It plays somewhat like 3rd person action games like Shadow of Mordor, Darksiders, etc but at a slower pace, less flamboyant, more deliberate, way more technical. Absolver is more about finding a rhythm, and anticipating your opponents moves to either avoid attacks or beat them to the.... punch? It's pretty cerebral. Definitely one of those easy to pick up, hard to master types. The controls are simple but the stances, feints, and combo mixups provide a lot of depth.

For Honor suffered because of the limited move set and the strict class roles. Here you can mix styles and attacks in thousands of combinations, and the only way to distinguish between "classes" is by defensive moves. The combat feels good, like it has some weight behind it instead of just pushing buttons and watching your character do things. I have very high hopes

• Options
    Devolver's Twitch account is streaming Absolver right now.

They've got a few older videos of Absolver on there too.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I went ahead and bought this while drunk when I stumbled on this thread a few nights ago because I would've bought For Honor for $30 when it came out, and hopefully this can scratch that same meaty PvP combat itch. I honestly don't know what to expect out of the launch, but I'm very sure I can get my money's worth if it's as least as good as For Honor's.

• Options
    I am so very ready for this, not much else on my radar until Destiny 2 which scratches a very different itch.

Where is everybody planning on playing? I preordered on PS4 but at $30 and with full controller support I could potentially convince myself to double up.

• Options
    PC for me. Looking forward to seeing how it plays. Future DLC free according to devs which is nice.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'll have to wait until there's a Steam sale, but I'm definitely curious regarding how this turns out.

MrVyngaard on
    "now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    I'm not sure what to think about a $30 retail price. On one hand it may convince people to check it out who otherwise wouldn't have, some of my friends are in that boat but they'll generally buy anything that a couple of us are playing online just to join the party.

I hope this game helps dispel the idea that any title less than $60 is inferior to full priced. PC guys don't think that way but plenty of console-only people definitely do.

2 weeks!

• Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Yeah, I've been curious about this ever since someone (can't remember who) recommended it in the For Honor thread after how poorly things turned out there. I've been following relatively closely and haven't really heard anything negative aside from the fact that the game is somewhat lacking in depth regarding story/guided play. The combat and customization systems are supposedly vast in their depth, and the mentor/student dynamic seems very intriguing to me. I can definitely get lost in engaging combat and advancement systems, so hopefully that is what's on offer here.

Just pre-purchased after seeing this thread pop up and wanting to support devs making risky decisions. I'll be playing on PC and my steam name is the same as my forum name ( fsmith1 ) so feel free to add me.

• Options
    Here's a new trailer about the multiplayer stuff in Absolver, it briefly talks about the ability to "open schools and train students" if game journalism is to be believed. In a sense I guess that's accurate, watch the video you'll see what I mean. It looks really really cool though.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LT3iSAci2JU

• Options
    We're one week away! I added a li'l bit more info to the op, and I made a spreadsheet thing for folks to add themselves if they want.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    fsmith1fsmith1 Registered User regular
    Game comes out today, should be releasing in a few hours on Steam and is already out on PS4 in many regions. I've been watching plenty of streams the past few days and am very hyped on getting started in this game.

Here friends, have a nice video by ScottJund

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XB4dMlEL3zc

• Options
    Not going to be able to get a decent play in till tomorrow. I am super excited to play this.

• Options
    Hiryu02Hiryu02 Registered User regular
    Here's the important question, can you THROW or grapple in this game? I don't see any mention of it.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    Hiryu02 wrote: »
    Here's the important question, can you THROW or grapple in this game? I don't see any mention of it.

Nope, it's all strikes. It'd be nice to have had some throws, though.

what a happy day it is
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

No. It's a purely fast-paced striking focused fighting game. There are weapons however.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    Nope. I can't play a fighting game without throws. It's part of the holy trinity of attack/block/throw.

..wait. Blocking isn't a thing either aside from the parry/dodge mechanic? Uh, wow.

Sev: Your gameplay is the most heavily yomi based around. Usually you look for characters that allow you to force guessing situations for big dmg. Even if the guess is mathematically nowhere near in your favor lol. You're happiest when you have either a 50/50, 33/33/33 or even a 75/25 situation to go crazy with. And you will take big risks to force those situations to come up.
  • Options
    EriktheVikingGamerEriktheVikingGamer Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Blocking is a thing but you can't get away with just turtling. Game is very much about offense.

EriktheVikingGamer on
    Steam - DailyFatigueBar
    FFXIV - Milliardo Beoulve/Sargatanas
  • Options
    I can understand a game based around aggressive play. However the absence of the third option aside from block/attack is significant to me. That's like, a pillar of fighting game design.

• Options
    taliosfalcontaliosfalcon Registered User regular
    Huh.. i was expecting this to..well..suck. But the reviews are all extremely positive, guess i'm picking it up today.

steam xbox - adeptpenguin
  • Options
    Kristmas KthulhuKristmas Kthulhu Currently Kultist Kthulhu Registered User regular
    I got this on GoG because it came with a free game if you pre-ordered there. No reason why I can't play with Steam folks, right?

• Options
    Also, I have no idea when I'll be back at my computer to try it out, since I can't fly back to Houston for another couple of days at least.

• Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Huh.. i was expecting this to..well..suck. But the reviews are all extremely positive, guess i'm picking it up today.

Huh, I've only seen mediocre reviews for this. Pushed me from a "Think I'll pick it up" to a "Maybe I'll wait and see"

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    CromartyCromarty Danielle Registered User regular
    The stance thing made me think they're doing like For Honor, but it seems like it's actually high/low/overhead(?) and your stance doesn't figure into that? Is that right?
    Also, do you have all defensive options or do you get one of block/parry/dodge depending on your style? The one video on styles makes it seem like the latter..

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »

Huh, I've only seen mediocre reviews for this. Pushed me from a "Think I'll pick it up" to a "Maybe I'll wait and see"

http://www.metacritic.com/game/pc/absolver

Seems to be doing okay on metacritic at 78.

• Options
    Ratsult2Ratsult2 Registered User regular
    I can understand a game based around aggressive play. However the absence of the third option aside from block/attack is significant to me. That's like, a pillar of fighting game design.

Guard breaking attacks cover that third option.

• Options
    I haven't watched all of the video fsmith posted, but as far as offense goes, it seems like there's low/high/guard breaker/super armor/horizontal sweep/feints and combinations of the above. Your stance determines which strikes are available to you, as each move can start in one and end in another, and it's all build-a-combo.

Plus you can select alternate attacks (one for each stance) that can be used at any time while in a given stance by pressing a button, and can completely change the flow of your regular combos.

Defense seems to be block (I'm not sure if there's a high/low block), vertical dodge, horizontal dodge, and parry.

• Options
    From what I've seen a good tip when fighting is let a enemy throw as many moves possible at you but leave yourself able to win the fight. This tactic increases you learning moves quicker than just smashing a opponent as fast as possible.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    The universal guard that all characters have is generic and blocks all attacks from any direction or height, but you take stamina damage. Everyone also has a dodge to the sides, back or forward, which also takes stamina.

I have only played for like an hour, and my impressions of the game are good! Controls are taking a little while to get used to, since I'm still used to Dark Souls trigger button attacks.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Just as a warning to possibly murder your hype (like it did mine) but the game is hard region locked so if you have friends playing from another continent you can't interact or play with them at all.

• Options
    Hmm, i guess having a guard break works. I love throws though. (see avatar) I'll give it some thought.

• Options
    DeansDeans Registered User regular
    It seems like the offense is about keeping your opponent in block pressure and forcing them to take a risk to get out of it, and keeping your offense varied enough that there aren't any obvious gaps they can slip through.

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Hey, someone tried to beat my butt right after I was trying to learn a move. I beat him down and picked them up afterward - and then, they attacked again, so I made him eat dirt and picked him up again. He didn't try for a third time. We were both using Forsaken. I got parried two, maybe three times, but I parried him like ten times. That's what you get for being predictable!

Edit: The lack of a map is getting to me, though.

doomybear on
    what a happy day it is
  • Options
    Albino BunnyAlbino Bunny Jackie Registered User regular
    Well as the only Khalt player I've seen I just 3-0'd some poor parry man who was trying to get all fancy.

Who needs fancy when you can just punch forever then earth quake to reset them???

• Options
    EndaroEndaro Registered User regular
    Rock Paper Shotgun has their review up

I've not bought the full release yet, but it aligns pretty well with what I saw during the brief beta I got to try. An interesting combat system that seems like it has a lot of depth and potential, but it sounds like they didn't change many of the things I was concerned about i.e. underdeveloped social systems in their quasi-mmo, a lack of direction/story for PvE, and little explanation of that interesting combat system.

It seems best to approach it like a more traditional arcade fighting game: go in knowing it's a complex system that won't be fully explained, and knowing the appeal is the fights. You need to have the desire to figure out the systems and expect the pull to be improving in PvP. Like Ryu, you need to get meaning and enjoyment from improving your skills against other players, because the shell around that system is a bit bare.

It should be enough for plenty of people. After all, arcade fighting games are still pretty popular. I'm going to give it a bit of time and see how things shake out; it still sounds very promising.

• Options
    This game is very pretty to look at, and the combat just feels good. I've been doing myself zero favors by changing my deck every ten minutes, but I think I'm improving.

The duels I've fought have been thrilling, satisfying experiences, win or lose. If cheap OP tactics exist I haven't run into them.

Love it love it love it.