As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Hesher] Out of the Cellar

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    autothrall wrote: »
    Agent Orange is a great punk band, I think you were referring to Code Orange?!

d'oh, fix'd.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    SteevL wrote: »

That is a lot of top tier bands. And Lamb of God too.

(I actually know almost nothing about Lamb of God. I saw them open for The Haunted and Dimmu Borgir in the early 2000s and wasn't into them.)

Lamb of God is a pretty basic example of Ballcap/Jorts Metal. Hatebreed, Pantera, etc.

I think that stuffs mostly dead these days?

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    EthelTheFrogEthelTheFrog Registered User regular
    Lamb of God is a pretty basic example of Ballcap/Jorts Metal. Hatebreed, Pantera, etc.

I think that stuffs mostly dead these days?

I think so. They were a favorite of the clique in high school I used to call the "Slipknot Crew". That's the only exposure I've ever had to them. Today's kids probably have a different set of bands to anger their parents with.

All these folks trying to be the Hiroo Onoda of the Loudness War...
  • Options
    GreasyKidsStuffGreasyKidsStuff MOMMM! ROAST BEEF WANTS TO KISS GIRLS ON THE TITTIES!Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I saw Lamb of God once in '08 opening for Metallica but never got into them that much. "Set to Fail" was a cool song. Definitely a high-tier ballcap/jorts metal band (which is the funniest descriptor I've ever heard for that genre)

GreasyKidsStuff on
  • Options
    autothrallautothrall Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I'm sure I've told this story before, but I was recording a demo at Steve Austin's studio when he was up here in Clinton, Mass, and he played me a new record he had finished. My reaction was "Holy shit, you got Pantera in here for a new full-length?" It was actually New American Gospel by Lamb of God, after they had changed their name from Burn the Priest.

I'm not a fan but every so often if I was in a Pantera mood I might spin a few of their songs instead of the usual suspects. They have one album (I forget which) that is pretty inspired in the riff department, but I've never been into the vocalist.

autothrall on
  • Options
    JazzJazz Registered User regular
    I think you guys just nailed why I never got into Pantera.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Today's kids probably have a different set of bands to anger their parents with.

I know if I hear my boys spinning this one I'll explode. Waste of :40 seconds of passable melodeath!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gFDCHdKbKBY

Nah, my youngest is only 1, but the 4 year old listens to a steady diet of Ghost, King Diamond, BabyMetal, Alice Cooper, KISS and Hevisaurus. He also likes the playlists I mix on my phone like 'The Dirtnap' (blackened speed and thrash), 'Street Hawt' ('eavy metal that feels like it belongs an 80s alley) and 'Tomb with a View' (old death metal). His mom wasn't too happy when he was growling out the chorus to Nocturnus' "BC/AD" with dada.

autothrall on
  • Options
    EidolonOrpheusEidolonOrpheus NoatunRegistered User regular
    I joined a band that was looking for a metal guitarist in high school. I remembered some of the things they listened to.
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=KDzt6yI3Dw8
    https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=N1MujfQqLIg

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I'm sure I've told this story before, but I was recording a demo at Steve Austin's studio when he was up here in Clinton, Mass, and he played me a new record he had finished. My reaction was "Holy shit, you got Pantera in here for a new full-length?" It was actually New American Gospel by Lamb of God, after they had changed their name from Burn the Priest.

I'm not a fan but every so often if I was in a Pantera mood I might spin a few of their songs instead of the usual suspects. They have one album (I forget which) that is pretty inspired in the riff department, but I've never been into the vocalist.

Dimebag was a really capable and creative guitarist and managed some good shit, solo to "Floods" or the main riff to "Mouth for War."

But gods damn Phil Anselmo is a stupid and boring as fuck vocalist.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Hell yeah, he was a great guitarist up until the mid 90s. I enjoyed the first three 'heavy' Pantera albums well enough, and some of the earlier cheese metal (even before Phil was in the band). I remember how huge those Phil albums broke through, especially Vulgar, almost everyone was into them back then, even hip hop guys, grungers, and glam exiles. I think his vocals definitely were a big part of that, and left their mark, because people related to the overbearing emotional Texas/Louisiana psycho howling drawl and internal tough guy shtick. I mean that tapped directly into huge swathes of society, from gangstas with god complexes to Monster Truck rally fans, hardcore mosh kids to Guitar World guys who were into it more for Dime.

I've gone through a disdain phase, but these days it's more their influence on a whole lot of bad Panterrible bands who all got record deals that bothers me more than the original themselves, and that includes Damageplan.

There was a pun in my first sentence. I apologize.

autothrall on
  • Options
    edited January 2018
    Hell yeah, he was a great guitarist up until the mid 90s. I enjoyed the first three 'heavy' Pantera albums well enough, and some of the earlier cheese metal (even before Phil was in the band). I remember how huge those Phil albums broke through, especially Vulgar, almost everyone was into them back then, even hip hop guys, grungers, and glam exiles. I think his vocals definitely were a big part of that, and left their mark, because people related to the overbearing emotional Texas/Louisiana psycho howling drawl and internal tough guy shtick. I mean that tapped directly into huge swathes of society, from gangstas with god complexes to Monster Truck rally fans, hardcore mosh kids to Guitar World guys who were into it more for Dime.

I've gone through a disdain phase, but these days it's more their influence on a whole lot of bad Panterrible bands who all got record deals that bothers me more than the original themselves, and that includes Damageplan.

There was a pun in my first sentence. I apologize.

They hit a point on society where mainstream metal was all but dead, and the underground stuff was either really inaccessible death, rehashed thrash or funk/groove metal. It was a pretty bad time in Metal if you weren't a death fan, just slim pickings all around. They just managed to fit in that middle area and their music was tight and creative enough that it landed hard.

Phil's weary, paranoid warble was definitely a product of its time and has aged their catalog terribly.

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    It's definitely not something I'd want to hear from new singers today, and don't much like it when I do (i.e. Lamb of God). A lot of metalcore singers, even if they don't copy his accent exactly, definitely copy the overbearing volume and brute bro-core vibe, it's almost like they apply Phil to screamo, throw in a couple Good Charlotte pop punk chorus lines and BLOW UP HUGEZ ON THE MTV2.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    It's definitely not something I'd want to hear from new singers today, and don't much like it when I do (i.e. Lamb of God). A lot of metalcore singers, even if they don't copy his accent exactly, definitely copy the overbearing volume and brute bro-core vibe, it's almost like they apply Phil to screamo, throw in a couple Good Charlotte pop punk chorus lines and BLOW UP HUGEZ ON THE MTV2.

I haven't seen a better example of this in recent times than Wage War. That band is blowing up but man I find them obnoxious and warmed-over. My pop and groove tendencies in my metal are probably well-known in these parts, but even I've got my limits on that shit.

Even mentioning Good Charlotte really provokes a strong negative reaction from me. I was in the Maryland/DC/VA metal scene around the time they were blowing up, and we had... interactions... with them. It was a pretty small scene so it was impossible not to, especially since pop punk and metal bands often shared billing. They were straight up the biggest dicks I've ever met (Aside from a certain guitarist from Nothingface/Hellyeah.)

jungleroomx on
  • Options
    descdesc Goretexing to death Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    tbf I had a lot of fun seeing Pantera live

I was 14 and had 1 (one) band t-shirt and 3 (three) cassettes to my name

edit: Kyuss opened for them which my little brain was not prepared for

desc on
  • Options
    SteevLSteevL What can I do for you? Registered User regular
    That's funny, because when I saw Lamb of God so long ago (I looked it up, it was 2001?!), I didn't think of Pantera at all. Admittedly I wasn't thinking about Pantera much by that time. LoG just struck me as generic. I should go back and listen to some of their stuff just for comparison purposes, I guess.

I was getting into metal right around the time that Pantera was getting popular. Back then I just assumed they were death metal because I couldn't distinguish between Phil's style (especially on Vulgar Display of Power) and the few bits of actual death metal I heard. I saw them live once, with Type O Negative as the opener, and it was a fun show. My second metal show. 7-8 months later I entered college and got an internet account, and a whole new world of metal awaited me.

• Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I like Pantera. Always have. I don't love them, but I like them. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

• Options
    I like Pantera. Always have. I don't love them, but I like them. Maybe it's a Texas thing.

Yeah, they were mostly fine. They have a lot of pretty good songs. I've always found Phil's attitude to be off-putting, but eh.

I sought out early Pantera on youtube just now. Musically, Metal Magic isn't as bad as I was led to believe. Aside from the cover art and song titles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqIlTki7Yg

• Options
    Futt BuckerFutt Bucker CTRegistered User regular
    Pantera were part of my unholy trinity of bands I hated in high school, the other two being - yup, Lamb of God and Slipknot. I never understood the appeal of the latter two, bit I eventually came around to Pantera. I mean come on, how can you argue against this?

https://youtu.be/aDACorIaxNw

My color is black to the blind
  • Options
    Sir CarcassSir Carcass I have been shown the end of my world Round Rock, TXRegistered User regular
    I remember the first time I became aware of the albums before CFH. This was in the very early days of the internet, probably around 95 or 96. There was a local band where I grew up in East Texas that were all huge Pantera fans, and their guitarist worked at a local guitar store. I remember going in there one day with a friend and just bullshitting and he brought some records out of the back. I don't remember now which ones he had, but I definitely remember seeing Power Metal. Seeing that cover was pretty mind blowing. It felt like we were seeing some forbidden text or something.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I remember the first time I became aware of the albums before CFH. This was in the very early days of the internet, probably around 95 or 96. There was a local band where I grew up in East Texas that were all huge Pantera fans, and their guitarist worked at a local guitar store. I remember going in there one day with a friend and just bullshitting and he brought some records out of the back. I don't remember now which ones he had, but I definitely remember seeing Power Metal. Seeing that cover was pretty mind blowing. It felt like we were seeing some forbidden text or something.

Yeah, I remember hearing about the albums on the internet around that time and stuff about how they used to be a glam metal band. I think there was a Pantera fan page that had scans of the earlier albums and pictures of the band from that era, which was a hoot.

SteevL on
  • Options
    Fenriz' latest radio show was amazing. Made me almost want to extend my RYM top 100 of 2017 out to 200, because some of those like Spirit Adrift and Sacroscum were so damn close to being on there.

• Options
    Pantera were part of my unholy trinity of bands I hated in high school, the other two being - yup, Lamb of God and Slipknot. I never understood the appeal of the latter two, bit I eventually came around to Pantera. I mean come on, how can you argue against this?

Domination Video

Mostly Phil.

He doesn't even do the damn chorus.

The riffs are killer, but man it sounds like karaoke. After CFH he didn't even try.

• Options
    I totally get not liking Phil, but I do think he was a great vocalist.

• Options
    edited January 2018
    I totally get not liking Phil, but I do think he was a great vocalist.

I mean, you can put this song on and I will never not headbang:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a3JSbOt7CLo

Peak groove.

jungleroomx on
  • Options

Peak groove.

Ha!

Also I could not for the life of me name many songs throughout history that have more testosterone than this one. I've gotten pregnant just listening to it and I'm a dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ0bG_7L3Sw

• Options

Peak groove.

Ha!

Also I could not for the life of me name many songs throughout history that have more testosterone than this one. I've gotten pregnant just listening to it and I'm a dude.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KJ0bG_7L3Sw

Indeed.

I heard they deployed this one in Japan to help with the flagging birth rate.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bLjL8T727NI

• Options
    SteevL wrote: »

Yeah, they were mostly fine. They have a lot of pretty good songs. I've always found Phil's attitude to be off-putting, but eh.

I sought out early Pantera on youtube just now. Musically, Metal Magic isn't as bad as I was led to believe. Aside from the cover art and song titles.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YRqIlTki7Yg

I can't tell if this is the worst cover or unintentional genius

• Options
    Speaking of Phil, what do people here think of Down? I'm not a big fan, but I've found it enjoyable. I remember being disappointed that Pepper didn't sing on any songs though.

• Options
    The first two Down records are pretty catchy, I can't remember much about the later releases but maybe something I should go back to.

• Options
    I just listened to NOLA after making that post and I liked it a lot. I think it probably works better for me as an album than any Pantera album, but of course they're doing different things.

• Options
    NOLA is definitely one of the best anythings involving Phil Anselmo, I don't know if I like it over Far Beyond Driven or Vulgar Display but it's very well conceived, and one of the better supergroup albums I've heard that in which the musical content outshines the celebrity of its creators.

• Options
    VanguardVanguard But now the dream is over. And the insect is awake.Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    Thought from the show tonight:

Planning For Burial is basically a one man noise band but I wonder if the live show would feel a little more exciting with a full group. It’s impressive that one dude is making all that noise, but I struggle with solo things like this, where you’re watching something that wants to be felt. Glad I was able to snag the vinyl tho.

Sannhet put on a great show and is kind of a sleeper hit for from 2017. Super energetic and the band knows how to build a set list. Grabbed a shirt.

I skipped True Widow because I found myself increasing underwhelmed the more I listened to their last album. Also, the show started 45 minutes late. Also, it seemed unlikely that they were going to top Sannhet.

• Options
    I saw Lamb of God once in '08 opening for Metallica but never got into them that much. "Set to Fail" was a cool song. Definitely a high-tier ballcap/jorts metal band (which is the funniest descriptor I've ever heard for that genre)

Jortcore.

• Options
    NOLA is definitely one of the best anythings involving Phil Anselmo, I don't know if I like it over Far Beyond Driven or Vulgar Display but it's very well conceived, and one of the better supergroup albums I've heard that in which the musical content outshines the celebrity of its creators.

I feel like the Down albums evoked the exact same response in me that every supergroup album ever has: oh, this is fine but less than the sum of its parts

• Options
    I dunno, I like it more than a number Crowbar or Stoner-era CoC albums for sure, and more than the last two Pantera albums.

What I meant is basically that I didn't just buy it because it has these guys from these other bands in it, to kick them another $10 spot and leave it on a shelf. I actually thought the project had merit of its own, and an interesting mix of groove metal, Southern and blues rock. It worked for me where stuff like Black Label Society is a lot more inconsistent and very often just lame and boring. I was very satisfied with NOLA and Down II. Some tracks like "Temptation's Wings" and "Losing All" have some of the best Trouble-y grooves I've ever heard in them, with some cool mid-80s Metallica harmonies in the guitars too.

Didn't make me wanna ride around with a shotgun rack in my 4x4 but Agony Column already did that in the 80s so I'm set there :D

• Options
    Fleur de AlysFleur de Alys Biohacker Registered User regular
    I only ever liked a little bit of Pantera, and I've never liked anything by Down.

It's still weird to me to hear Lamb of God described in the same genre given that I fell in love with them pre-Wrath. Their early material at least is definitely metalcore in that it's breakdown-heavy and lacks solos, but it's also extremely technical, particularly with the drums. The riffs evoke Slayer moreso than Pantera or Killswitch Engage to me. Nothing I hear in "Ruin" or "Laid to Rest" makes me think of redneck metal.

After the breakout success of Killadelphia (which is a pretty fantastic live album I'll say), they did seem to start chasing the broader market Pantera left behind. I mean, their very next single was literally called "Redneck," and with that I was done. What a weird and sudden departure from everything they'd created up until that point. Or maybe they just started emphasizing some things I didn't really notice in the earlier material.

Triptycho: A card-and-dice tabletop indie RPG currently in development and playtesting
  • Options
    The Sauce wrote: »
    I only ever liked a little bit of Pantera, and I've never liked anything by Down.

It's still weird to me to hear Lamb of God described in the same genre given that I fell in love with them pre-Wrath. Their early material at least is definitely metalcore in that it's breakdown-heavy and lacks solos, but it's also extremely technical, particularly with the drums. The riffs evoke Slayer moreso than Pantera or Killswitch Engage to me. Nothing I hear in "Ruin" or "Laid to Rest" makes me think of redneck metal.

After the breakout success of Killadelphia (which is a pretty fantastic live album I'll say), they did seem to start chasing the broader market Pantera left behind. I mean, their very next single was literally called "Redneck," and with that I was done. What a weird and sudden departure from everything they'd created up until that point. Or maybe they just started emphasizing some things I didn't really notice in the earlier material.

Perhaps that's why I didn't really associate their sound with Pantera's style: when I saw them live, they had only released their first album at that point. I barely even remember them now, but I was there for The Haunted and Dimmu Borgir. Cannibal Corpse was the headliner, but I wasn't interested in them either and left the show early.

(Finally saw Cannibal Corpse a few years ago, though)

• Options
    edited January 2018
    Interesting, guys. Probably just comes down to our different angles of exposure to all this stuff.

I've always thought they sounded like Pantera at the start. Hell just scroll down the 'Similar Artists' tab on their Metal Archives page: Pantera (161), Chimaira (107), DevilDriver (99), Burn the Priest (89), Machine Head (79), Soulfly (41). I don't even see Slayer on the list, although clearly Slayer influenced Pantera so that's just a given.

However, I DO agree there is a melodic death influence on a lot of Lamb of God albums, for sure, most modern metalcore is derived from a mix of Earth Crisis metallic hardcore, Slayer breakdowns, Pantera groove metal attitude, and then elements of Swedish melodeath (hell, there are entire metalcore gods that sprung up as AtG clones), and for some of them the clean radio pop rock/punk choruses.

I say 'modern' because the more dissonant side of metalcore [Converge, etc] existed in advance of that popularized style, but with some notably different influences (and a few the same). I even played in a band that people called 'metalcore' in the early 90s, gigging with those bands, we had breakdowns and obviously I brought the metal influences but we didn't sound much like these modern ones at all, our vocals were way more hardcore inflected like Rollins, etc, and we had a lot of the post-punk or post-hardcore melodies.

I actually don't think Lamb of God sounds terribly much like Killswitch Engage when I compare the minute details, which is probably why I can stand LoG occasionally. Not a KsE fan here.

autothrall on
  • Options
    Interesting, guys. Probably just comes down to our different angles of exposure to all this stuff.

I've always thought they sounded like Pantera at the start. Hell just scroll down the 'Similar Artists' tab on their Metal Archives page: Pantera (161), Chimaira (107), DevilDriver (99), Burn the Priest (89), Machine Head (79), Soulfly (41). I don't even see Slayer on the list, although clearly Slayer influenced Pantera so that's just a given.

However, I DO agree there is a melodic death influence on a lot of Lamb of God albums, for sure, most modern metalcore is derived from a mix of Earth Crisis metallic hardcore, Slayer breakdowns, Pantera groove metal attitude, and then elements of Swedish melodeath (hell, there are entire metalcore gods that sprung up as AtG clones), and for some of them the clean radio pop rock/punk choruses.

I say 'modern' because the more dissonant side of metalcore [Converge, etc] existed in advance of that popularized style. I even played in a band that people called 'metalcore' in the early 90s, gigging with those bands, we had breakdowns and obviously I brought the metal influences but we didn't sound much like these modern ones at all, our vocals were way more hardcore inflected like Rollins, etc.

Metalcore has always been in two camps, though, but it seems like one is more focused on the core part and the other the metal.

Converge, Botch, Starkweather, et al are definitely a darker, nastier strain of it, but I love those bands so it's okay.

This discussion has been closed.