As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    If you're using the shotgun to take out Cacodemons, you're doing it wrong.

Use the shoulder grenade launcher, it doesn't take ammo. ;)

Or be like me and go 'I don't got time for this shit' and just shoot the fuck out of them with the ballista or whatever. I beat the game+dlc on ultra violent and didn't have an issue with that tactic.

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    the frag nade in eternal is so gucci

guaranteed hard falter...

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Does it ever get tiring posting like that?

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2023
    If I was gonna change Eternal at all, I’d just have it start the game with every weapon and upgrade.

And the hammer. I found the hammer to match wonderfully with the gameplay style, so it's an absolute damned shame you don't get the hammer until like halfway through the second DLC. It was so much better than the "delete this one thing" sword (which I basically reserved for the archviles exclusively), especially since you could recharge the hammer by just murdering everything like you were gonna do anyway. Slamming that thing down in the middle of a crowd was so satisfying.

Also, let us meathook anywhere and everywhere instead of just launching at enemies.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Does it ever get tiring posting like that?

Looks pretty relaxing tbh.

• Options
    SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Not to detract from the topic of how miserable actually playing Doom Eternal makes a few of us, but if you're like me and can listen to At Doom's Gate over and over, and also appreciate the FM Synthesis from the Sega Megadrive, you should give this a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hfhc2FgYI0

• Options
    MonwynMonwyn Apathy's a tragedy, and boredom is a crime. A little bit of everything, all of the time.Registered User regular
    Synthesis wrote: »
    Not to detract from the topic of how miserable actually playing Doom Eternal makes a few of us, but if you're like me and can listen to At Doom's Gate over and over, and also appreciate the FM Synthesis from the Sega Megadrive, you should give this a listen:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Hfhc2FgYI0

See that just makes me want to hear what Mick's version would sound like played through a Genesis chip

uH3IcEi.png
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Were you trying to shift to the topic of Miserable FM Synthesis?

The music from the fan-made 32X resurrection, like the rest of that homebrew project, is a dramatic improvement.

Those drum samples sound like they might be leveraging the 32x's PCM hardware but, the rest should be good ol Genesis FM.
    Monwyn wrote: »

See that just makes me want to hear what Mick's version would sound like played through a Genesis chip

I would recommend the entire Xeno Crisis soundtrack, or anything else by Savaged Regime. Its disgustingly amazing what he pulls out of that chip.

• Options
    edited April 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VsXTIvlcMG0

So Civvie did No Rest for the Living, making TNT: Evilution the only official classic Doom expansion he hasn't reviewed.

So naturally, for April Fool's Civvie revealed he's finally doing TNT. But there's a catch.

He's doing 1-ish episodes per day, in like 9:16 format (i.e. phone style) released solely through Youtube's tik tok knockoff. He apparently played the entire thing in that resolution.

This is why Civvie is a Pro.

https://www.youtube.com/shorts/KR5IECWEouw

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    edited April 2023
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDAriv_Mjc

Also he finished Hexen II + expansion, so that's another franchise he's finished. Running out of old ass shooters.

Your gonna have to do Kingpin, Civvie. You can't hide!

Undead Scottsman on
  • Options
    Stabbity StyleStabbity Style He/Him | Warning: Mothership Reporting Kennewick, WARegistered User regular
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular

Reading that Doomworld thread a little bit after skipping through the above video, it seems a lot of people are unfamiliar with Creepypasta (although I had never heard of "backrooms" or the book House of Leaves)

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Weird that came out when I started replaying Heretic today and wanted to try my hand at building a small, simple level for it. It's very hard for me, but fun, and MyHouse.WAD must be doing some absolute ridiculous shit behind the scenes.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    That is cool as hell. I love House of Leaves, read it probably once a year, and his walkthrough of the mod definitely gives me that same sense of dread the book always does. Good stuff!

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    The best part of House of Leaves for me was loaning it to my roommate and watching her read it.
    Every time she had to go back and forth a few pages or turn it sideways/upside down I would crack up a little inside

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    The best part of House of Leaves for me was loaning it to my roommate and watching her read it.
    Every time she had to go back and forth a few pages or turn it sideways/upside down I would crack up a little inside

I accidentally ruined two copies of that book, both of which were owned by a friend of mine! I replaced the first one, ruined the replacement, then replaced it again and instead of ruining it too I bought my own copy lol

Also, Heretic is so good, y'all. I just love everything about it, probably more than Doom 1 & 2.

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    Jealous DevaJealous Deva Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VuDAriv_Mjc

Also he finished Hexen II + expansion, so that's another franchise he's finished. Running out of old ass shooters.

Your gonna have to do Kingpin, Civvie. You can't hide!

I need to try hexen 2 again. I love quake and quake 2 but always hit a wall with it.

The atmosphere and music is pretty effectively creepy though.

• Options
    Hexen II has some real bullshit "puzzles" you need to solve to progress. I think I absolutely stuck for like an hour until I figured out what dumbass thing the game wanted to me do.

Still better then Hexen 1, I think.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I need to try hexen 2 again. I love quake and quake 2 but always hit a wall with it.

I always hit a wall in the first Quake as well, right in the first level of episode 1. I mean, why wouldn't you? There are shotgun shells behind it.

SmokeStacks on
  • Options
    if you like that kind of thing definitely worth checking out one of the notable precursors - the Atrocity Exhibition by JG ballard

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    AegeriAegeri Tiny wee bacteriums Plateau of LengRegistered User regular
    Hexen II has some real bullshit "puzzles" you need to solve to progress. I think I absolutely stuck for like an hour until I figured out what dumbass thing the game wanted to me do.

Still better then Hexen 1, I think.

I loved Hexen 2, but some of the shit you had to do on harder difficulties - which also increased the number of different steps in each puzzle - got quite ridiculous.

The Roleplayer's Guild: My blog for roleplaying games, advice and adventuring.
  • Options
    Civvie finally answers the age old question "What the fuck is a Blake Stone"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CwWM41jbHwg

TL;DR it's a game about a spy who fights mutants based on an upgraded wolfenstein 3D engine that came out like two weeks before Doom.

• Options
    heenatoheenato Alice Leywind Registered User regular
    I would like blake stone if it weren't for the infinitely spawning electric enemies. those guys make certain maps actively unpleasant to play and almost unplayable.

M A G I K A Z A M
  • Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    edited May 2023
    I’ve been marathon’ing MyHouse content for the last couple of days, and it occurs to me that Remedy desperately needs to get this person or team on their payroll

(myHouse spoiler via context)
    and enhancing Control 2 asap.

The masterclass in trickery with the Doom engine may not port over, but the skill in playing with expectations, non-Euclidean geometry, etc.

Hell, if you told me they were on the team, I’d believe it.

At this point I wouldn’t put it past being essentially a cross promotion, yes I get that such a thought is insane and yet here we are.

Forar on
    First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    MaydayMayday Cutting edge goblin tech Registered User regular
    edited June 2023
    To whomever hasn't watched a video of myHouse yet - I REALLY recommend playing it unspoiled instead. And I say this as someone who's never played a fan wad in his life.

Mayday on
  • Options
    OK, NOW Doom is on everything.

https://youtu.be/wGfXhZJqHbY

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Nah, it's still not on my watch.
    (It's not a smartwatch or anything, just a £15 digital one)

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    Oh shit, Voxel Doom II comes out tomorrow!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IQK8m41daAk

• Options
    Glad the answered the question of whether John Romero's head was voxelized.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I hope we get something interesting at quakecon, fingers crossed the quake 2 remaster rumour is true, but I’d also like info on IDs next game

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm a bit deflated on the idea of a Quake 2 remaster now that it's guaranteed it won't be Nightdive. They did such a good job on Quake that it just feels wrong not having them do Quake 2.

• Options
    Whoops, forgot July has 31 days, Voxel Doom II comes out Tuesday.

Also why wouldn't Nighdive do Quake II? They got bought but that doesn't mean they're not going to keep doing what they're doing.

• Options
    edited August 2023
    They got bought by Atari who I assume bought them for a reason.

IIRC most of their future plans were wiped out and they're only finishing up SiN Reloaded, System Shock 2 Remastered and Rise of the Triad. And two of those are self published.

I'd love it if they announced at Quakecon that Nightdive were doing a Quake 2 remaster, but I just don't see it happening.

-Loki- on
  • Options
    Do you have a source on that or are you just speculating? 'cause it could easily be as simple as Atari wanting a studio with consistent output like Nightdive has.

Also if they were remaking Quake II, that project likely started long before they got bought, which was like two months ago. (Deal closed May 15th)

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    On one hand, one of the reasons that the Blood re-release still has a bunch of bugs and inaccuracies is because Atari stopped paying for patches.

On the other hand, Atari is under new management and maybe doesn't suck shit anymore?

• Options
    -Loki- wrote: »
    They got bought by Atari who I assume bought them for a reason.

IIRC most of their future plans were wiped out and they're only finishing up SiN Reloaded, System Shock 2 Remastered and Rise of the Triad. And two of those are self published.

I'd love it if they announced at Quakecon that Nightdive were doing a Quake 2 remaster, but I just don't see it happening.

Which just released today btw.

https://youtu.be/3A8X2tqQuGY

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Do you have a source on that or are you just speculating? 'cause it could easily be as simple as Atari wanting a studio with consistent output like Nightdive has.

Also if they were remaking Quake II, that project likely started long before they got bought, which was like two months ago. (Deal closed May 15th)

It could easily be one way or the other. "Atari" did go on a big spending spree buying up ancient IPs this past year with the intent to re-enter the video game market, and the CEO has openly said he wants the company to do "new entries" in the IPs they picked up in addition to re-releases. It could either be to leverage Nightdive's talent for making said remakes/remasters on the IPs Atari picked up, or if the CEO is a moron they could just be relegated to a hellish factory line of Flashback cash-ins.

• Options
    The Quake II remaster is out and despite not having their branding anywhere that I could see, it appears Nightdive DID indeed work on it.
    DEVELOPER: id Software, Nightdive Studios, MachineGames

It's also free to anyone that already owns Quake II, so that's nice. It's not just a remaster though, they actually went and added in new enemy behaviors, removed the kick-up on the machine gun, and even added a navigation compass for people if they get lost. Also both expansions and a new TWENTY EIGHT LEVEL expansion from Machine Games are also included, as well as the N64 version of the game. Hot damn! Also they've adorably redone the incredibly terrible cutscenes to amke them.. well, they're less terrible now, slightly.

The new Beserkers went from "Only an issue if I'm playing extremely sloppy" to "oh you rat bastards." I can't wait to see what they've done to the rest of the menagerie.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cyxBE163n20

Update Log

https://store.steampowered.com/app/2320/Quake_II/

• Options
    edited August 2023
    Okay, I’m excited to play that.

One last Nightdive ride.

My buddy who I cooped Quake Remastered with already wants to coop this. Trying to rope my brother in on Switch for more fun.

-Loki- on