As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    KarlKarl Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    Zilla360 wrote: »
    I loved the sequence where he's walking through the Phobos facility, dragging the guy with the keycard without a word was such brilliant visual humour.
    That bit actually felt kind of mean to me. Dude is probably going to die soon anyway, because, yup, hell has been unleashed, but they didn't need to be almost choked and terrified like that.
    The slayer could have just used a few pointing hand gestures, got him to drop the key-card, and still been menacing without being a complete anti-hero jerk-wad figure.
    And it would still be funny.

I mean, that dude works in a command center for the company that literally brought Hell to Earth, right? Or am I missing something.

i think the implication is there that not everyone was involved, or at least knew the whole deal. Cos they seem to be getting orders from up top to let the demons in ,and theyre like "what they cant be serious right?" so im guessing Doomguy is just regarding them with a general "you idiots should have seen this coming, and now i have to clean it all up" attitude

In the story of the previous game, it seemed like the only one who was 100% pro-demon was Olivia, the creepy lady. Though she did get something of a cult going, it was never clear how much all the cultists fully understood about what was going down. There's even a lore-message towards the end where she thanks everyone that helped her out while at the same time telling them she was only ever using them for her own benefit and they're all going to rot in hell forever.

Going by the ending of the first game, it seemed like Slamuel Hayden was anti-Hell but still determined to mess with their dimension for profit in spite of all the trouble. So he may have fucked it all up accidentally instead of deliberately.

You're on the money. The vast majority of the UAC was using Hell/Argent energy for that sweet sweet money. Hayden even mentions (and I'm paraphrasing here) "I thought she (Olivia) was strong enough to resist temptation. I was wrong and she was weak"

Olivia set up a cult to help her with her own goals but as previously mentioned she was just using them.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    The idea is that the Doomslayer cares about exactly one thing: Fucking up demons. If you stay out of his way, he won't bother you: if you have something he needs, he's going to take it from you. (Or drag you along, in keycard guy's case.). If you're working with the demons, your ass is grass.

Hell, I'd go further and say that the Doom Slayer doesn't even really categorize them as individual people. For him, there's only three groups - helpers (VEGA, The Wretch), enemies (demons and cultists), and the irrelevant (everybody and everything else).

He didn't try to be a dick to that guy - he saw a keycard, so he took it and used it. The fact that it was attached to someone was completely beneath his notice.

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    I'll still go on the record and say that the multiplayer in DOOM ain't half bad. I continue to have fun with it. It's a light console version of Quake.

I always liked the weird mixture of corporate culture and cultism that was the UAC in DOOM. Like, in order to get the work done, these arcane rituals with sacrifice have to be performed, so we set up a division that tackles all the sacrifice stuff and didn't really bother to check in as long as the workflow kept running smoothly. Then it turns out that the lady that heads up that division has bought in on all of it wholecloth and is working towards her on ends to become a demigod or something, and - irritatingly - we didn't know because she hadn't been filing her reports for a while. So now there are demons everywhere and we've lost 69% of our workforce to demonic possession. Mondays, am I right?

Ceno on
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I’m imagining the UAC is a ridiculously huge corporation. Even with FUTURETECH and interplanetary travel, I could totally buy that when the Mars campus went psycho meltdown, even Phobos was like, "Holy shit, I'm glad we're a secure orbital weapons platform and that we turned down their invites during crunchtime."

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    And there it is
    Luckily, Marty Stratton, Doom Eternal’s executive producer, has since explained how DOOM’s extra lives work. “It’s just like our checkpoint system,” he said in an interview with VG247. “It’s just now you don’t have to go all the way back to the checkpoint and play back through that combat encounter.

“So if you’re almost to another checkpoint or you’re in a boss fight or something, your extra life, if you die, kicks in and the screen goes grey and you are invulnerable for a little bit. You can keep fighting, reposition yourself, and you’re right back in the action where you left off without losing any progress.”

• Options
    CampyCampy Registered User regular
    Yep, I am definitely digging the 1up idea.

• Options
    And there it is
    Luckily, Marty Stratton, Doom Eternal’s executive producer, has since explained how DOOM’s extra lives work. “It’s just like our checkpoint system,” he said in an interview with VG247. “It’s just now you don’t have to go all the way back to the checkpoint and play back through that combat encounter.

“So if you’re almost to another checkpoint or you’re in a boss fight or something, your extra life, if you die, kicks in and the screen goes grey and you are invulnerable for a little bit. You can keep fighting, reposition yourself, and you’re right back in the action where you left off without losing any progress.”

Oh god please let this become a trend

Considering 90% of games have zero consequence to death, there's no reason to drag me to a loading screen when or if I do.

• Options
    GONG-00GONG-00 Registered User regular
    Campy wrote: »
    Yep, I am definitely digging the 1up idea.

Would certainly be nifty if 1-ups can be earned by completing long kill combo chains.

Black lives matter.
    Law and Order ≠ Justice
    ACNH Island Isla Cero: DA-3082-2045-4142
    Captain of the SES Comptroller of the State
    xu257gunns6e.png
  • Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Doomguy getting eternal life through the bloody slaughter of his enemies has a wonderful symmetry to it.

"I'm going to kill these guys so fucking hard that the act will let me unkill myself later."

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    And there it is

This is like the best case for extra lives in gaming that I’ve heard in years.

I was beginning to think they might have truly become an obsolete feature.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    I figure my first playthrough will be opted out of the invasion system, though I could see myself dabbling in invading other people's games for variety, and then give it a whirl opted in on a replay.

Hrm, I have a book and game piece painting backlog about six months long at this point, but I really should schedule a weekend to go back through DOOM 2016 again sometime before Eternal comes out.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    I play through DOOM 2016 probably once every four months or so. I pretty much turn off most of the HUD now because I don’t need it.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Hungry for other excited reactions to the gameplay demo I mistakenly tried to search for YouTube videos on it

Jesus Christ. So many videos screaming about sjws, with hundreds of thousands of views.

Why can't people just accept that sometimes other people will react to media in different ways with different ideas and understandings. No, everything has to be SJWs FAIL LOL with photoshops of coloured wigs on demons and all kinds of screaming madness

YouTube clickbaity culture is so god damn poisonous

Prohass on
  • Options
    DeMoNDeMoN twitch.tv/toxic_cizzle Registered User regular
    So yeah I've been playing Doom 2016 again and ignoring my backlog because of the Doom Eternal reveal.

Starting off on hard when I originally did normal. So far I feel like I've probably died about 20 times, 15 times to jumping off the stage like an asshole.

Honestly one of my favorite things about the game is how OP some of the weapons are. Like, they feel busted to the point where I question if they intended it or not. Fucking Gauss Cannon in siege mode man. Even on hard it can one shot the majority of demons. And if they're lined up, it will one shot multiple. I think the only things I've seen survive are the Hell Barons, and the Pinkies if you don't shoot them in the butt.

I also forgot just how fun the mobile turret minigun is. Just shred EVERYTHING.

Doom is good.

Steam id : Toxic Cizzle
    *TyCart*_banner.jpg
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    This two are super fun with the infinite ammo rune.

• Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    DeMoN wrote: »
    So yeah I've been playing Doom 2016 again and ignoring my backlog because of the Doom Eternal reveal.

Starting off on hard when I originally did normal. So far I feel like I've probably died about 20 times, 15 times to jumping off the stage like an asshole.

Honestly one of my favorite things about the game is how OP some of the weapons are. Like, they feel busted to the point where I question if they intended it or not. Fucking Gauss Cannon in siege mode man. Even on hard it can one shot the majority of demons. And if they're lined up, it will one shot multiple. I think the only things I've seen survive are the Hell Barons, and the Pinkies if you don't shoot them in the butt.

I also forgot just how fun the mobile turret minigun is. Just shred EVERYTHING.

Doom is good.

I watched a video of a guy tearing through the game and he used the gauss cannon to not only murder the fuck out of demons, but he used it to traverse the levels like he was rocket jumping. Just quick swapping to it, flinging himself where he wanted to go, then swapping to another weapon. It was pretty rad

https://youtu.be/72S2aAxtZOs

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I absolutely abused the reload mechanic animation loophole on the final boss.

I would just fire the gauss cannon then immediately switch to the rocket launcher, fire that and then swap back to the gauss cannon.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Hungry for other excited reactions to the gameplay demo I mistakenly tried to search for YouTube videos on it

Jesus Christ. So many videos screaming about sjws, with hundreds of thousands of views.

Why can't people just accept that sometimes other people will react to media in different ways with different ideas and understandings. No, everything has to be SJWs FAIL LOL with photoshops of coloured wigs on demons and all kinds of screaming madness

To be quite honest I don't even know who they're talking about anymore.

I've seen a couple people raise their eyebrows but... I mean, that's kinda it?

Alt-right is truly the worst.

• Options
    MrVyngaardMrVyngaard Live From New Etoile Straight Outta SosariaRegistered User regular
    ARGENT energy just attracts the wrong sort of people.

"now I've got this mental image of caucuses as cafeteria tables in prison, and new congressmen having to beat someone up on inauguration day." - Raiden333
    camo_sig2.png
  • Options
    Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular

To be quite honest I don't even know who they're talking about anymore.

I've seen a couple people raise their eyebrows but... I mean, that's kinda it?

Alt-right is truly the worst.

My buddy texted me a link to a youtube video of "SJWs" complaining that DOOM Eternal is pro-Trump and something about his immigration policies. I didn't click the link, because I've managed to get YouTube to a place where only videos that wont sour my mood are offered to me. That's the most I've heard of anyone on either "side" turning this game into any sort of political statement, though.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
  • Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    Sigh.

It’s a game about killing the shit out demons. Shooting them. Chainsawing them. Burning them. Blowing them up. Cutting them in half. Punching their head down into their chest.

Can’t people just be happy doing that?

• Options
    edited August 2018
    The whole "please call them mortally challenged" line is meant to be a joke. A vain attempt by the UAC to cover for the fact they were actually fracking hell for energy and fucked it all up.

They're not mortally challenged. They're demons. You fucked up Hayden. You let demons overrun the earth.

EDIT: It's like when a company says "we're performing a headcount restructure". No, it means you're firing people.

Karl on
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    The whole "please call them mortally challenged" line is meant to be a joke. A vain attempt by the UAC to cover for the fact they were actually fracking hell for energy and fucked it all up.

They're not mortally challenged. They're demons. You fucked up Hayden. You let demons overrun the earth.

EDIT: It's like when a company says "we're performing a headcount restructure". No, it means you're firing people.

Yeah, I saw it as a poke at corporate culture rather than a poke at politically correct speech

JtgVX0H.png
  • Options
    I think the "Earth is the melting pot of the universe" is what has pissed a few people off. Again, it's the UAC trying to corporation speak cover for the actual invasion of Earth by demons.

I mean, if the situation was different and the UAC had brought in demons and they lived among us in peace (as an allegory for Immigration) before it all hit the fan, then yeah I could see where they're coming from.

If anything, Doom is a dig at irresponsible corporate practices and then said corporations trying to frame their shitty actions as good.

• Options
    Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I have seen several videos (seen, not actually watched) complaining that people are complaining about the Doom trailer. I haven't seen any people actually doing that though. Seems like pre-emptive counter-outrage, really. Maybe I'm wrong, this is just what videos are popping up in my dashboard after all the Doom trailers I've watched over and over.

But really though - the trailer has inhuman monsters coming and trashing the place while a voice ignoring everything bad going on talks about 'PC labels' and integration.

I think that unsavory people are going to look at that and be far more likely to nod and agree that 'let in foreigners and everything goes to hell while the liberal brigade ignore it!' than come to the conclusion that it's a satire of corporate practices. Which honestly, if it were meant to be that, could have made more allusions to things like pollution and environmental damage (Hayden talking about the bright future that Argent Energy and the UAC will bring while panning over the hellscape), rather than references to 'the melting pot'.

Doom has always had a huge element of the 'faceless megacorp cares for nothing but profit' trope and it's especially sharp in the latest games, so that element is going to be present in anything they do. But if they were really going for presenting the 'dangerously negligent corporation' angle with that trailer than I say they missed the mark on that and stumbled into territory that some gross people are going to think is code that Doom is on their side. It's not gonna stop me from buying the game or enjoying these trailers, but I do think Bethesda maybe could've thought about this a little better.

H9f4bVe.png
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    The melting pot thing is also a visual pun.

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Now, if we find children in cages in a level, we'll know they're fully embracing giving zero fucks about political callbacks.

Too real for some? Probably. But I wouldn't mind a company with a horror game going "yeah, you know what? This is about as horrific as it gets, any fucking questions?"

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    As someone who thinks that Doom 2016 is one of the best games of all time and is p excited for this new one, having now watched the presentation with sound on I am really not enjoying the "jokes." I've had my fill of those from the deplorables in my life, thank you.

So there's someone complaining about them, I guess.

e: having rewatched it, I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt on intent. But the phrases are, intentionally or not, based on certain caricatures, the same way announcing that the increasing temperatures are natural and nothing to worry about or that the demons are just exercising their right to free speech would be based on others.

Surfpossum on
  • Options
    President EvilPresident Evil Let's Rock Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    I think that unsavory people are going to look at that and be far more likely to nod and agree that 'let in foreigners and everything goes to hell while the liberal brigade ignore it!' than come to the conclusion that it's a satire of corporate practices. Which honestly, if it were meant to be that, could have made more allusions to things like pollution and environmental damage (Hayden talking about the bright future that Argent Energy and the UAC will bring while panning over the hellscape), rather than references to 'the melting pot'.

Doom has always had a huge element of the 'faceless megacorp cares for nothing but profit' trope and it's especially sharp in the latest games, so that element is going to be present in anything they do. But if they were really going for presenting the 'dangerously negligent corporation' angle with that trailer than I say they missed the mark on that and stumbled into territory that some gross people are going to think is code that Doom is on their side. It's not gonna stop me from buying the game or enjoying these trailers, but I do think Bethesda maybe could've thought about this a little better.

I've not read any comments/watched any videos outside of this forum. With that said:

Look, context matters, right? In a vacuum, this is a sound point. But while that trailer may not have hit the mark in terms of clearly spelling out it's intended satire, we're lucky in that there's already an entire game out there that previously did:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_DcjiStB8Ao

I didn't bat an eye at anything that dumb, dumb robot said in the trailer. Hell, I though the "mortally challenged" line was delightful! I think at this point, most anyone who's played the previous game knows it's just UAC on their same old bullshit. Could they have spelled it out a little more clearly? Maybe. I don't necessarily know that they needed to. To your point, does any of this outrage actually exist? Is this just social media being social media in 2018? id's been pretty cool up to this point, right? I think if anyone's truly, genuinely concerned with what they perceive to be possible anti-immigrant rhetoric coming out of the new DOOM, a lot of that concern can be assuaged with a simple conversation - preferably outside of YouTube. Maybe I'm just being naive... but I also think there are a lot of intelligent individuals out there (like all of you lovely people) that can apply the appropriate amount of nuance to the discussion (nuance required in a discussion about Doom??? Who saw that coming? :P ).

The idiots that think that two lines of dialogue taken out of context somehow reinforces their worldview are likely to twist just about anything into what they want it to mean, and it falls upon us, the reasonable, to politely remind them that A) it doesn't, and B) that they can fuck right off.

President Evil on
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    The jokes in 2016 were about corporate doublespeak but the jokes in the trailer are about political correctness and they suck.

• Options
    SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    I can't fucking stand the political dogshit responses from leftists and rightists in this thread and on the internet in general, but re: the modern political climate and Doom I can't help but crack up every time someone posts a new one of these:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7Snw6qjlPSE

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    august wrote: »
    The jokes in 2016 were about corporate doublespeak but the jokes in the trailer are about political correctness and they suck.

I am 100% at "fucking how are they about political correctness?" mark, considering the humor fits perfectly with the humor from the prior game which was all hyperbolic satire about corporate idiocy.
    This seems like some extreme Luke-going-into-a-cave-on-Dagobah business where everything that people are getting out of this is what they're putting into it, not what's actually there.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    august wrote: »

Corporate doublespeak is the actual political correctness.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Let's go back to talking about how fucking awesome this game looks

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Let's go back to talking about how fucking awesome this game looks

It looks even sharper than the first one and I was extremely by it.

It sucks that we are probably 2 years out right now, if we go by the 2016 release.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    I’ve got everything crossed for 2019

• Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Still don't like the studs/rivets on the gauntlets. I liked the smooth green armor

• Options
    JMan711JMan711 6'8" weighs a f*&#ing ton He's coming, he's coming, he's comingRegistered User regular
    I’m okay with the rivets, I don’t care about the exposed biceps. Other than that everything looks awesome so far. I’m sure that fly through they did was probably from a corrupted/abandoned “Heaven” dimension.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Or we’ll learn that the UAC has already fracked Heaven dry, so that’s why they moved over to Hell. They literally murdered Heaven.