As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    Ceno wrote: »
    Or we’ll learn that the UAC has already fracked Heaven dry, so that’s why they moved over to Hell. They literally murdered Heaven.

Gotta mine those seraphim for their delicious organs, mmmm

JtgVX0H.png
  • Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    Or we’ll learn that the UAC has already fracked Heaven dry, so that’s why they moved over to Hell. They literally murdered Heaven.

I hope not, mainly because I want to see Doomguy fight some biblically realistic angels.

Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I'm beginning to wonder if Doom Eternal may actually feature more weapons than you can carry at one time. Like, sure, Doom 2016 had a huge number of weapons, and they've added extra things onto the Doomslayer to fit more attacks onto his being (and I suspect the big knobby bits on his right arm might foreshadow a third weapon/implement we haven't seen yet) but I could imagine multiple types of rocket launchers and shotguns and things and opportunities to discard one for the other during a level.

I'm also incredibly curious about the invasion demons, because something there implies we might be building and customizing our own demons and outfitting them with gear. I don't know if there's room for that on top of everything else going on, but there must be more to the Invasion Mode to entice players beyond just fucking up other players' progress in the campaign.

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm fine with more weapons but mostly I'd like more limited use stuff like the BFG and Chainsaw.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    Big Dookie wrote: »

I hope not, mainly because I want to see Doomguy fight some biblically realistic angels.

I told you not to tell anyone about my DOOM/Bayonetta crossover fanfic

• -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the bare biceps and how it doesn't feel like Doom. I don't get it.

• KarlKarl Registered User regular
    At least his abs are covered in the modern game. A glaring flaw in the old school armour.

• FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    I'm hearing a lot of complaints about the bare biceps and how it doesn't feel like Doom. I don't get it.

I just really liked the sleek design of DOOM's armor

• Skull2185Skull2185 Registered User regular
    Karl wrote: »
    At least his abs are covered in the modern game. A glaring flaw in the old school armour.

It's the same basic principle as female armor. The more sexy parts of the body the armor shows off, the higher the armor rating actually is. It's just basic armor science, really.

Everyone has a price. Throw enough gold around and someone will risk disintegration.
    Inverse Armour Theory.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    He's rolling up his sleeves

Prohass on
  • AbsoluteZeroAbsoluteZero The new film by Quentin Koopantino Registered User regular
    Repeat to yourself it's just a show game, I should really just relax.

cs6f034fsffl.jpg
  • SynthesisSynthesis Honda Today! Registered User regular
    Skull2185 wrote: »
    Karl wrote: »

It's the same basic principle as female armor. The more sexy parts of the body the armor shows off, the higher the armor rating actually is. It's just basic armor science, really.

Real Doomslayers have (visible) abs.
    I get that it's a clever in-narrative explanation of his name/title, but I keep thinking of him as "Doom guy".

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited August 2018

I don't hate the exposed biceps, but I did like that Doomguy was totally sealed away inside his armor in the first game. Like he could look like anything under there. Kind of like the "don't show the monster" rule in horror movies. Exposing his upper arms isn't a big deal, but now I know more about his appearance than I did before. I at least hope we never see his face properly.

edit: And then I just remembered that you see his skin in the beginning of the first game anyway. Soooo I guess I don't care about the biceps?

BloodySloth on
  • CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    They briefly had a skin for him in Quake Champions that was helmetless. They basically tried to make a modern version of the little portrait in the original games. He looked a lot like BJ from Wolfenstein.

It isn’t in the game anymore from what I can tell. Maybe there was negative feedback to seeing the face or something.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited August 2018
    Yeah, Doomguy should be like Judge Dred. He's more a force of nature than a person, with armor instead of a face.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    Old Doom armor didn't have exposed abs on purpose, it was simply a piece of armor shaped like football pads that went over the chest and shoulders. The reason Doomguy's abs are showing on the cover is because whoever drew it thought it would look cool if his shirt was ripped and his abs were showing.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Digital Foundry guys took a look at the reveal

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=s3szAiDxoSM

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    I mean we've already kinda seen his face

ri07sih0rlgz.png

• cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular

tumblr_static_1tu2ffv2191c0gcg0s4wo00s4.gif

cB557 wrote: »

102x1r7hpy79.jpg

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    No, that's just a mask that goes over the back of his head, to deter demons from trying to sneak up on him.

cB557 wrote: »

102x1r7hpy79.jpg

I don’t know why, but this face is upsetting to me.

I guess it’s because the helmet is his real face. Like...like Dr Doom.

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    It's upsetting because the face looks worried or doubtful

These are emotions the Doomslayer should never feel if, indeed, the Doomslayer feels anything at all, besides the grim determination to destroy all demons

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Maybe somebody asked him what he will do after all the demons are dead?

• T-DangerT-Danger Registered User regular
    I'm fine with more weapons but mostly I'd like more limited use stuff like the BFG and Chainsaw.

I hope we actually get some melee weapons this time round. Given the game's emphasis on getting close to demons for the kill, it would make sense to have the option to use things like swords, clubs, or the chainsaw as an actual attack instead of a 'free ammo' button.

You could still make things fair by giving weapons their own ammo/power supply, like fuel for the chainsaw or demonic power for that sword we saw in the preview.

edited August 2018
    Meh, if I'm close enough to melee something, it's reeeallly unlikely that it's still alive for anything other than specifically to get a glory kill. And anything more than single-hit kills just slow the gameplay down and glory kill in one hit, so it makes melee stuff pretty superfluous.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    Yeah, DOOM is about blasting demons in the face with a shotgun, not melee weapons. I'd be more than happy to play a rebooted HEXEN though and have all that medieval good stuff in there.

They should do that. Seriously. Please do that.

Xantomas wrote: »
    Yeah, DOOM is about blasting demons in the face with a shotgun, not melee weapons. I'd be more than happy to play a rebooted HEXEN though and have all that medieval good stuff in there.

They should do that. Seriously. Please do that.

Fuck me, Hexen but with Doom's intensity would be amazing.

JtgVX0H.png
    Well the video showed him using the Crucible so that’s another melee weapon.

edited August 2018
    I keep thinking about a DOOM-like but you're fighting stuff like vampires and werewolves. Stake-shooters and silver bullets, stuff like that. Dracula would be the last boss and would be a solid challenge if you fought him normally but there would be a secret one-hit kill way to beat him if you downgraded your vampire killing stuff all the way back down to the basic wooden stake or something.

I've perhaps thought about this too much.

(Is that what Hexen is? I've never played Hexen.)

Ceno on
    I keep thinking about a DOOM-like but you're fighting stuff like vampires and werewolves. Stake-shooters and silver bullets, stuff like that. Dracula would be the last boss and would be a solid challenge if you fought him normally but there would be a secret one-hit kill way to beat him if you downgraded your vampire killing stuff all the way back down to the basic wooden stake or something.

Heretic, Hexen, and Hexen 2 are amazing games. Some melee in them, but mostly you're shooting magic at enemies instead of guns and they're set in medieval fantasy worlds instead of a sci-fi setting.

JtgVX0H.png

Heretic is basically doom, but with a dark medieval fantasy motif. Hexen is basically heretic, but with classes and a level hub system.

edited August 2018
    I could imagine the Doomslayer having, like, a wicked sledgehammer that could pop enemies into the air or provide significant knockback for making room/keep away tactics.

I think there’s some kind of rights issues with Hexen/Heretic that haven’t been resolved yet, preventing new games.

EDIT: here it is
    hv1dffc61py3.jpeg

Linespider5 on
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    That's Blood

Prohass wrote: »
    That's Blood

I thought Blood was just not being pursued by the people who own it (WB, I think). Also the source code for the first game is lost.

The Heretic/Hexen IP, I believe is owned by Activision (Due to acquiring Raven Software) whike several of the games themselves are owned by Zeninax (Through id software)

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    Heretic is sooooo good. I love the atmosphere. Take me back there, please!

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    Heretic is sooooo good. I love the atmosphere. Take me back there, please!

For real, I don’t think there’s been a legit fantasy/occult FPS in forever.

• surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular

painkiller had a stake gun where if you launched the steaks far enough they got set on fire from atmospheric friction and did more damage. this seems like correct gun science

it also stapled enemies to walls and had an underslung grenade launcher

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PQc7x8eY5Aw

obF2Wuw.png
    seriously I miss that mid-90’s post-TSR black magic aesthetic that was found in so many weirdo PC games.