As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    Hey if you guys want to continue this talk about Blood in its own thread, there is one right here: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/222881/monolith-productions-1997-build-engine-classic-blood-getting-nightdive-remaster#latest

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Get used to this. With the big, AAA titles, we will be seeing "Look, open world environments !" replaced by "New Content, must have New Content !"

Fairchild on
  • Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    I appreciate supporting a game but...these longform calendars sometimes communicate the wrong impression.

This looks aggressively geared to suggest there’s so much that will be happening later which in a way shits on the core product. I suppose with a few other high profile games out recently with disastrous releases to go with their roadmaps, uh. Maybe there’s a better way to do this sort of thing?

• FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    I appreciate supporting a game but...these longform calendars sometimes communicate the wrong impression.

This looks aggressively geared to suggest there’s so much that will be happening later which in a way shits on the core product. I suppose with a few other high profile games out recently with disastrous releases to go with their roadmaps, uh. Maybe there’s a better way to do this sort of thing?

I get your point, and it seems to be the big, AAA publishers admitting that, yes, our initial release will be a big buggy mess-- see ANTHEM, FALLOUT 76, and BATTLE FOR AZEROTH-- but here's our plan for fixing the game AND providing lots of new content for the rest of the year. They have given up entirely on the notion that the game should work properly at release.

Fairchild on
  • SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    If I was interested in buying Rage 2, all that calendar would say to me is "Buy the game in a bundle a year from now for $40 and get significantly more content".

Oy, just the fact that they have a 'Day 30 Update' planned is telling everyone to wait 31 days before buying it, because that's how long they will need to fix everything wrong at release. I'm dying here.

• Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Hrrrm, almost missed that the substantive updates-the actual expansions-have bitty green stickers saying ‘paid DLC’ on em. I’m not angry, it probably makes more sense-but it IS yet one more mixed message on that tiring calendar that’s ostensibly about all the FREE CONTENT coming down the pipe.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Hrrrm, almost missed that the substantive updates-the actual expansions-have bitty green stickers saying ‘paid DLC’ on em. I’m not angry, it probably makes more sense-but it IS yet one more mixed message on that tiring calendar that’s ostensibly about all the FREE CONTENT coming down the pipe.

It just says "Content calender" and then has an thing at the bottom describing what content is free.

• SmokeStacksSmokeStacks Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Hopefully you won't have to buy an end boss fight as DLC like you did with the first Rage.

Speaking of, I never did get around to doing any of the co-op missions in the first game. I'm moving this weekend so my schedule is borked but I'd be down for revisiting those at some point in the future if anyone is interested.

SmokeStacks on
  • maximumzeromaximumzero I...wait, what? New Orleans, LARegistered User regular
    Sitting on my hands waiting for Doom Switch to hit a sub-$30 price point. I constantly see the PS4 and XBO versions going for $20ish but nothing much for the Switch version.

FU7kFbw.png
    Switch: 6200-8149-0919 / Wii U: maximumzero / 3DS: 0860-3352-3335 / eBay Shop
  • XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    Nintendo doesn't seem to believe in sales much.

• Big DookieBig Dookie Smells great! Houston, TXRegistered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Any reviews for Rage 2 yet? It releases on Wednesday right?

EDIT - Never mind, I just saw there’s a Rage 2 thread now.

Big Dookie on
    Steam | Twitch
    Oculus: TheBigDookie | XBL: Dook | NNID: BigDookie
  • redundant_pairingredundant_pairing Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Isn't that mostly a first party thing?

• TeeManTeeMan BrainSpoon Registered User regular
    Xeddicus wrote: »

Isn't that mostly a first party thing?

Yeah, in their e-store third-party titles get discounted at rates you'd expect on a PS4. Not that long ago Doom was 50% off

steam_sig.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Apparently this went over without many noticing, but id showed off new gameplay for Doom Eternal back in April at the GDC when they showed it working on Stadia. Not as polished as the other stuff we've seen (just a dev playing while standing at a podium with a gamepad), but it's a new level and I think at one point you see one of those new Marauder enemies. Doom Eternal footage starts at 40:30.

He also dies at one point so you get to see the extra life mechanic.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qdz4b5psrhE

-Loki- on
  • Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular
    I'll take it!

H9f4bVe.png
  • -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Just had a thought. Spoilering it because if I'm right it's probably spoiling a pretty cool scene from the game.
    It looks like he's jumping through the ruins of the UAC facility that was on Mars. Was.

In the background, there's Mars with a massive green hole in it. The facility is now in orbit with huge chunks of Mars.

The Phobos level they showed has a BFG 10,000. Doomguy seems to be making his way towards it.

We're totally going to see the Doomguy blow up Mars with the BFG 10,000 aren't we?

-Loki- on
  • Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I'm loving these environments

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
  • ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular
    Agh, I simply can't wait for this game to come out. Has any mention of a release date been announced at all? My amazon preorder is just using the Dec 31st, 2019 placeholder date still.

• Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Agh, I simply can't wait for this game to come out. Has any mention of a release date been announced at all? My amazon preorder is just using the Dec 31st, 2019 placeholder date still.

We'll probably get a date at E3. Bethesda's conference is Sunday, June 9th at 5:30pm PST.

• ThegreatcowThegreatcow Lord of All Bacons Washington State - It's Wet up here innit? Registered User regular

We'll probably get a date at E3. Bethesda's conference is Sunday, June 9th at 5:30pm PST.

Ah ok yeah that makes sense. ID games are usually a big splash at those kind of events anyway.

• BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about all these new movement mechanics. The double jump felt really elegant because it was one thing that could be used in a variety of circumstances. The new grappling hook is cool and seems like it can be used really aggressively, which is nice, but the air dash and wall climbing seem to me like they might interfere with the core smoothness and flow of the game than they would highlight or accentuate it.

I'm super willing to be proven wrong!

• furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    I'm honestly not sure how I feel about all these new movement mechanics. The double jump felt really elegant because it was one thing that could be used in a variety of circumstances. The new grappling hook is cool and seems like it can be used really aggressively, which is nice, but the air dash and wall climbing seem to me like they might interfere with the core smoothness and flow of the game than they would highlight or accentuate it.

I'm super willing to be proven wrong!

I think it depends on the level design pretty heavily. After the last one I am pretty confident in them.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
    They’ve put the dash, or something like it, in Rage 2 and it works great.

• Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The air dash looks interesting to me because I constantly found myself wishing for some real in-air movement in DOOM '16. Yeah, you've got the one rune you can turn on, but that's just not the same as being able to actually dash in a direction. And since the combination of mobility and shooting was my jam for the last game, this looks like even more of what I like.

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The sunny beaches of CanadaRegistered User regular

Ah ok yeah that makes sense. ID games are usually a big splash at those kind of events anyway.

Hell is waiting for this game! We never survived that plane crash!

H9f4bVe.png
  • ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I’m trying not to spoil myself on the footage, is there any explosions in it? I noticed in the last gameplay demo the explosions didn’t look as good as they did in the 2016 game, I’m hoping they were just in progress assets or something

They looked about the same as Doom 2016. Though that's not saying much, explosions weren't that impressive there either. Maybe they should ask Avalanche and borrow their explosion tech from Just Cause/Rage 2.

• jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Prohass wrote: »
    I’m trying not to spoil myself on the footage, is there any explosions in it? I noticed in the last gameplay demo the explosions didn’t look as good as they did in the 2016 game, I’m hoping they were just in progress assets or something

It was running on Stadia hardware and looked noticeably lower quality than the last footage we saw.

• MechanicalMechanical Registered User regular
    The air dash looks interesting to me because I constantly found myself wishing for some real in-air movement in DOOM '16. Yeah, you've got the one rune you can turn on, but that's just not the same as being able to actually dash in a direction. And since the combination of mobility and shooting was my jam for the last game, this looks like even more of what I like.

It's still kinda wild to me that there's so much air mobility from this series of all things.

• ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Sorry thought this was the rage 2thread

Prohass on
    Mechanical wrote: »

It's still kinda wild to me that there's so much air mobility from this series of all things.

Doom 2016 sort of blended with Quake, with the air control and inclusion of Quad damage. If you replaced the demons and hell iconography with Strogg, it could totally have been Quake 5.

• XantomasXantomas Registered User regular
    I was allright with the air mobility in DOOM 2016. You could change direction, double jump, parkour and all that. It was a lot of fun and felt very strong and agile. The video for the new one does look pretty ridiculous to me though, those (unlimited?) midair dashes he's doing basically looks like flight. How does that make any sense anyway, does he have a jetpack or something?

• Forever ZefiroForever Zefiro cloaked in the midnight glory of an event horizonRegistered User regular
    I’m guessing it’s only “unlimited” because those orbs probably reset your jump ability

2fbg9lin3kdl.jpg
    XBL - Foreverender | 3DS FC - 1418 6696 1012 | Steam ID | LoL
    edited May 2019
    Could also be on a timer like Rage 2. So they can design platforming around the timer so it’s still challenging. Those orbs would work well the same way. Single dash in air unless you manage to grab an orb.

Not sure what’s going on with Quake Champions. It’s a great feeling arena shooter, but after one of the recent patches, the concurrent player count went from a few thousand to a few hundred at any given point.

I wonder if at some point they’re going to decide it’s a failed game? It’s still in Early Access so I guess technically it’s still considered a beta, and people tend to avoid Early Access games anyway, but it’s Quake. It should not be taking 5+ minutes to find me a match bots and end up in a bot match.

-Loki- on
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »
    Could also be on a timer like Rage 2. So they can design platforming around the timer so it’s still challenging. Those orbs would work well the same way. Single dash in air unless you manage to grab an orb.

Not sure what’s going on with Quake Champions. It’s a great feeling arena shooter, but after one of the recent patches, the concurrent player count went from a few thousand to a few hundred at any given point.

I wonder if at some point they’re going to decide it’s a failed game? It’s still in Early Access so I guess technically it’s still considered a beta, and people tend to avoid Early Access games anyway, but it’s Quake. It should not be taking 5+ minutes to find me a match bots and end up in a bot match.

Man, I need to play that before it completely disappears.

I am a big fan of the original Quake game’s multiplayer. It feels like I should be the core audience but I just don’t PC game much anymore.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • UselesswarriorUselesswarrior Registered User regular
    Xantomas wrote: »
    I was allright with the air mobility in DOOM 2016. You could change direction, double jump, parkour and all that. It was a lot of fun and felt very strong and agile. The video for the new one does look pretty ridiculous to me though, those (unlimited?) midair dashes he's doing basically looks like flight. How does that make any sense anyway, does he have a jetpack or something?

Air dashes are not the line that is going to make or break realism for me.

Hey I made a game, check it out @ http://ifallingrobot.com/. (Or don't, your call)
  • BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    edited May 2019
    Quake Champions was really fun for a while, but when I dropped it, I just never looked back. I don't know what it was. I guess one thing I could say was that the monetization scheme seemed pretty aggressive. I don't play a lot of free-to-play games, so I couldn't tell you if it was better or worse than the industry standard, but I felt that it was pretty in your face. Part of that might just be that the menu system in general was horribly obtrusive at the time. I remember when I played a lot of to do was being made about a streamlined menu coming down the pipeline. I think I moved on some time before that hit, but if you can't design a menu that doesn't feel like a horrible maze, it's going to drive away players.

BloodySloth on