As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Doom Battle Royale, it's a team game.

98 demons drop into a island hellscape... and one Doom Slayer. I think that's a fair fight, right?

I’d actually play this...

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    edited October 2019
    I wish they were making a coop horde mode, the player v player stuff doesn’t really interest me

Prohass on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    -Loki- wrote: »

98 demons drop into a island hellscape... and one Doom Slayer. I think that's a fair fight, right?

That would be fucking amazing.

Keep the demons just as weak as they are in single player, and let them respawn indefinitely with no penalty to dying. If a demon manages to kill the Slayer, they win. If the Slayer either fights his way to the end of the level or accomplishes a certain objective (or kills a certain amount of demons, there's a bunch of ways you can go) then he wins.

Now that's a Battle Royale game that I wouldn't roll my eyes at.

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    SyngyneSyngyne Registered User regular
    So it was a Commander Keen sequel that you tested, got it.

Commander Keen VR

5gsowHm.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular

That would be fucking amazing.

Keep the demons just as weak as they are in single player, and let them respawn indefinitely with no penalty to dying. If a demon manages to kill the Slayer, they win. If the Slayer either fights his way to the end of the level or accomplishes a certain objective (or kills a certain amount of demons, there's a bunch of ways you can go) then he wins.

Now that's a Battle Royale game that I wouldn't roll my eyes at.

I could easily imagine something like the Doom Marine has to make a certain number of unique kills (not the same respawning player over and over) or hit a certain number of red switches to win.

• Options
    OneAngryPossumOneAngryPossum Registered User regular
    The original Perfect Dark had a mode like that, and I always wished more developers followed up on it.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    The original Perfect Dark had a mode like that, and I always wished more developers followed up on it.

I imagine it's tough to make it so that the people on the "mob" team actually have fun. I think you'd probably have to give them something to do other than swarm the nearly-unkillable superman and die to them over and over.

Maybe mini objectives like

-kill a bunch of UAC personnel to make a demon nest where teammates can spawn from
    -kill a bunch of UAC personnel and use their blood to paint runes which empower your team in the general area
    -smash things that make the doom slayer's life easier, like bridges and elevators and doors
    -kill more UAC personnel for, um, other reasons

• Options
    -Loki--Loki- Don't pee in my mouth and tell me it's raining. Registered User regular
    A big, open map where near 100 people play demons and work on objectives while the Doom Slayer runs around annihilating everything sounds awesome.

It also fulfils the need for a way for the Slayer to win, by stopping those things from happening.

Can we stop dreaming up this awesome Doom game that will never exist?

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    *Collect Two bags of groceries from Hellmart.

*Escape from the Doomslayer

Just the daily life of Imp going horribly wrong.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    Presumably, the demons would be trying to gather enough processed Argent to open a portal on earth or whatever.

• Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    You could also give demons point based on how much damage they do to the slayer (or to NPCs if you go that route) and then they can use those points to respawn as more and more powerful demons.

id call us.

Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Has anyone seen Bethesda or id mentioning more collectors editions being made due to the delay? I have the PC version but don't have a PC so will need to buy the PS4 version separately.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    BursarBursar Hee Noooo! PDX areaRegistered User regular
    I was hoping for music-based puzzles and demon slaying.

GNU Terry Pratchett
    PSN: Wstfgl | GamerTag: An Evil Plan | Battle.net: FallenIdle#1970
    Hit me up on BoardGameArena! User: Loaded D1
    Spoilered until images are unborked. egc6gp2emz1v.png
  • Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Stuff like that makes me seriously wonder if there may come a day again when a sprite-based FPS might reach mainstream levels of success, purely on the raw speed and aesthetic flavor of pre-polygonal graphics.

• Options
    Stuff like that makes me seriously wonder if there may come a day again when a sprite-based FPS might reach mainstream levels of success, purely on the raw speed and aesthetic flavor of pre-polygonal graphics.

No. It is cool too those of us who grew up with it, and to the small subset of gamers who appreciate retro styles, but not the gaming public at large. Even I don't really get anything more then a small nostalgia buzz from stuff like that and I grew up with it. I am not saying I hunger for ever improving graphics, at this point give me shorter load screens, but there is a certain minimum bar which needs to be met in order to be mainstream

• Options
    Phoenix-DPhoenix-D Registered User regular
    Overwatch DM is fairly popular, though I think part of the draw there is how ridiculous it is. So DM modes do draw players.

Hell Battle Royle games are a distance cousin to DM, and Quake BR would be hilarious to watch.
    furlion wrote: »

No. It is cool too those of us who grew up with it, and to the small subset of gamers who appreciate retro styles, but not the gaming public at large. Even I don't really get anything more then a small nostalgia buzz from stuff like that and I grew up with it. I am not saying I hunger for ever improving graphics, at this point give me shorter load screens, but there is a certain minimum bar which needs to be met in order to be mainstream

Minecraft says the bar may be lower than you think.

• Options
    cB557cB557 voOOP Registered User regular
    Phoenix-D wrote: »
    Overwatch DM is fairly popular, though I think part of the draw there is how ridiculous it is. So DM modes do draw players.

Hell Battle Royle games are a distance cousin to DM, and Quake BR would be hilarious to watch.

That's still polygonal, not sprites.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    cB557 wrote: »

Turns out this is true, actually. I thought it was Voxel based, but apparently it just uses the voxels for the terrain data and renders the actual cubes with polygons.

• Options
    cB557 wrote: »

Turns out this is true, actually. I thought it was Voxel based, but apparently it just uses the voxels for the terrain data and renders the actual cubes with polygons.

Minecraft is hardly a fast paced twitch based FPS though. I agree that the success of Minecraft, Stardew Valley, and other retro style sprite games shows that there is a market for that style. Just not in FPS games

• Options
    AntinumericAntinumeric Registered User regular

I picked up some game made on zdoom (Hedon) and this old style gameplay is blowing me away. I think it will never reach mainstream success but there are definitely still legs in this gameplay style/engine.

In this moment, I am euphoric. Not because of any phony god’s blessing. But because, I am enlightened by my intelligence.
  • Options
    edited November 2019

A new mod for Duke3d came out recently. I've played through it and it is excellent. Might as well be a brand new game.

https://youtu.be/THPFSeMzmnI

https://www.moddb.com/mods/duke-nukem-alien-armageddon

It has an all-new campaign and also let's you play through the old episodes with the new mechanics.

Handsome Costanza on
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
  • Options
  • Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Ran across this video that has some stuff I never knew before.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=FQ1fJbYhbVQ

• Options
    evilbobevilbob RADELAIDERegistered User regular
    Decino's Doom videos are great. Has some great guides on playing UV fast max and Nightmare all secrets.

l5sruu1fyatf.jpg

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Wow, I had no idea they digitized images of clay models for so many of the models. I didn't think that technique was used until years and years later when 3D CG models became a thing for movies.

• Options
    Mortal Kombat was released a year before Doom and used digitised claymation for Goro.

• Options
    jungleroomxjungleroomx It's never too many graves, it's always not enough shovels Registered User regular
    Wow, I had no idea they digitized images of clay models for so many of the models. I didn't think that technique was used until years and years later when 3D CG models became a thing for movies.

Yeah, I think the marines, imps, and pinky demons were hand drawn and everything else was digitized.

• Options
  • Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Mortal Kombat was released a year before Doom and used digitised claymation for Goro.

We have to go deeper.

3-ch1707.png

• Options

We have to go deeper.

3-ch1707.png

I love qfg

https://youtu.be/d7HBenoe_Lc

• Options
    rahkeesh2000rahkeesh2000 Registered User regular
    Yeah but 1 VGA was the only one to use claymation I believe, and pretty extensively. The dragon on the title screen, most of the monsters in combat, and at least stills of the character portraits.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Woo new rage expansion, I’m always up for more of the gameplay in rage 2

• Options
  • Options
    Prohass wrote: »
    Woo new rage expansion, I’m always up for more of the gameplay in rage 2

Yeah, I grabbed it too. I haven't finished Ghosts yet, but it's like $8 so whatever.

Seeing a lot of complains that it's 1750 coins, which comes to over $20 which was putting me off, but that's for the deluxe edition that comes with the Deluxe Edition special mission (which I already have) and a few skins (which I don't care about). So $8 regular DLC for me.

• Options
    BloodySlothBloodySloth Registered User regular
    That 360 fov looks surprisingly playable? Until the player looks up or down, at least.

• Options
    so uh

any Powerslave fans in the house?

https://youtu.be/g6HaMv6FYvE

• Options
    emnmnmeemnmnme Registered User regular
    That's right.
    Who's next?
    That's right.
    That's right.
    Who's next?

• Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    https://store.steampowered.com/app/753590/Hellbound/

Hellbound, in the vein of Doom/Quake/Serious Sam. Demo has been released. I went through it, it's fun. Just run around and shoot shit. I like the graphical design as well. Great time for retro FPS games.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options