As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    Blueshift wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted the "can't beat perfection" milestone? I get that you can't get sentinel crystals (avoid them) but the challenges give you suit points. Does just acquiring the point itself count against the milestone or do you have to actually spend it on a perk? It would be nice if the milestone got like an X through it to let you know you fucked up. I'm seeing conflicting (if any) information on this, just wondering if anyone out there tried it.

I would assume that it works the way it says it does, which is that you can get one suit upgrade and doesn't care how many upgrade points you get as long as you don't buy more than one upgrade.

• Options
    Linespider5Linespider5 ALL HAIL KING KILLMONGER Registered User regular
    Dixon wrote: »
    Hmmm looks like they made a pistol, but then removed it as it didn't fit the play-style they were going for.

Doesn't look to be unlimited ammo though, and it seems to be burst fire.

I guess you have to enable with console and some other magics.

Looks nice. I do agree there’s something about it that feels not quite emblematic of Doom (maybe a sidearm seems quaint in comparison to the rest of the over the top weaponry available) but with those supposed DLC things maybe this will reappear.

• Options
    DarklyreDarklyre Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    What the fuck is going on in this game.

Is that Doom comic really canon?!

The one with
    HUGE GUTS and RIP AND TEAR
    Yes

The one with
    “I killed the Demons”
    “No, you are the Demons”
    And then John was the Demons
    Not yet
    And then John was a zombie.

There IS a zombiefied Slayer skin.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    Man, getting the hang of the super shotty/BFG quickswap combo cuts out Marauder frustration completely. It definitely slots them right back in where they feel they should be, as in you can deal with them very quickly without having to either leave them for last or soak a ton of damage dealing with them mid-fight. Execution time is like two seconds and it's worth the BFG ammo every damn time.

• Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    And finished on Ultraviolence.

The only FPS where I feel physically exhausted after playing from keeping my whole upper body tense while playing.

My only criticism really is Marauders. Just try as I might, I couldn't find a loop where a fight including a Marauder was something I looked forward to - they were a slog everytime, and not in the fun way where some of the arenas kept killing me.

• Options
    GrimthwackerGrimthwacker Registered User regular
    OK, the first loading screen I saw when I started this up tonight was the one explaining the "meta". They REALLY want to hammer that into you. Was that added in a recent patch?

I'm at the ARC Complex. Screw that purple crap, and screw Whiplashes. Both are aggravating.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    So here is a very fun bug that I've gotten a few times now. It requires you to quit entirely to fix it.

Its the sticky bomb mod with no sticky bombs

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SsfupIL6068&feature=youtu.be

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    last boss is not fun or good imo
    a game about using different guns and abilities to defeat different enemies with different capabilities in interesting arenas

except final boss has nothing in common with any of them or any mechanics, and his arena is full of infinitely regenerating one shot juice so u never actually use anything u have learned. u literally just chainsaw and one shot everything while u spam into his enormous boring fucking health bar

a literal straightforward arena with lots of hard monsters would have been better!

My only real complaints were
    1. It's hard to tell which parts are remaining to kill. Often I'd be at 6/8 or 7/8 left and I couldn't discern what was left (often it was the hands/arms/biceps)
    2. You are frequently dependent on using the chainsaw to get ammo, which keeps interrupting the flow. Especially since a lot of the monsters that spawn require full chainsaw fuel.

The BFG is very powerful, but it feels like you don't get to play around with it enough.

A lot of the arenas they put you in, I couldn't help but think "man...this would be fun to play some FFA deathmatch in".

TelMarine on
    3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    furlionfurlion Riskbreaker Lea MondeRegistered User regular
    Played some of the multiplayer tonight (my internet was out for 5 days). Got bodied pretty hard as a Slayer but managed to win twice as a demon. Mostly through summoning. Not sure I really like it as a game mode, but I don't really do competitive games in general so no great loss. I am planning on boosting the multiplayer trophies so if any of you want in on it just let me know here or in a PM.

sig.gif Gamertag: KL Retribution
    PSN:Furlion
  • Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    So, side note on the Chaingun, because the game dosent make this very clear.

The shield is actually a full on weapon in and of itself. As in that bit that says it falters fodder? You can ram a full health imp with it (dash into them) and they will just instantly frag. with the falter heavies it does a crapton of damage to them to. and it's ability to be launched does ap ile of damage (and it's easy to charge - aim for the head!)

I find it hard to justify using the mobile turret given the firepower the shield brings combined with it's defensive oompf.

Though i'm still honestly struggling to find places where the Ballista feels good to use - Destroyer blade takes so long to charge vs the damage it outlays, Arbalest mode is fussy (Yay, my alt fire punched straight throguh, rahter than lodging in and blowing upthe crowd) and Cacodemons/Pain Elementals are actually programmed to dodge it (Which, cool ai! but very annoying!). It's main fire seems fine though - nice and chunky. It's just it's altfires that feel poorly

Compared to i dunno, just dumping my plasma rounds the glory that is the Plasma gun and it's heatburst this time around

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    The Ballista is very good against Cacodemons.

Not any of it's secondary abilities. Just the regular point and click. Takes 'em down in two hits (on Hurt Me Plenty, anyway).

RT800 on
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    The biggest issue with the marauder, for me, isn't that he take a very specific strategy to kill or that you can or can't mess with his AI. It's how different and out of the flow he is with literally every other thing in the game. I get that on some level you want to force players out of their comfort zone but this game already forces that through a lot of it's mechanics. The marauder just doesn't fit the game as an enemy. Once I worked on it a bit I had no issue with them but they still fuck the flow of the fight every time one shows up, in a way that isn't fun.

Hugo Martin put it in because its "cool" and "is like enter the dragon that has Chuck Norris in it" (the movie is The Way of the Dragon btw).

Hugo Martin is basically a 12 year old in a 40 year old's body and his decision making skills reflect that. I really do not like him (especially when he just went on Joe Rogan blowing off COVID talking about how nice his vacation was because he was the only one there. The man is a toolbag).

He directed an amazing game for the most part though, gotta give props where its due.

Handsome Costanza on
    Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    JeedanJeedan Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    GnomeTank wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    I dunno I think he fits for that very reason. As a contrast to disrupt your best intentions. It would be annoying if he was an enemy you always face, but keeping him rare is fine. If you basically just run away from him and kill everything else in the arena until it’s you v him it works as part of the system, which involves prioritising enemies, basically for me he’s like the opposite of a buff totem, he makes the fight harder but rather than going for him first you just have to do the fight with him there, and you take him on last, or at least try to keep him at arms length, doing damage with any windows he provides, while you fight everything else

Nothing you said here is false...but that still doesn't change the fact that in my opinion, the marauder isn't fun. All I heard in every pre-game interview from Marty and Hugo about this game is fun, find the fun zone, do what's fun. By that rubric the marauder is not a good enemy in Doom Eternal in my opinion. I know how to kill them, I know how to prioritize them...and every time they show up it lowers the fun of the battle for me.

The phrase that stuck in my mind from the pre game interviews is "if you trust us and play the way the game wants you to play, you will have fun". And DE isn't really about options, it does have a very specific playstyle it wants you to get into. The marauder is kind of the extension of that philosophy as there is a very specific way to beat him. For good or ill.

Jeedan on
  • Options
    darunia106darunia106 J-bob in games Death MountainRegistered User regular
  • Options
    TelMarineTelMarine Registered User regular
    darunia106 wrote: »

What's interesting is, when I first did this boss/miniboss fight, I was really struggling. Then the time that I beat it, somehow the marauder got telefragged or something? I have no idea what happened, but I was fighting a different monster and somehow it instantly died. No complaints though.

3ds: 4983-4935-4575
  • Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Doom Eternal is amazing.

ID made the first character action game that's FPS.

I just want more of this game. I want endless Doom Eternal. I want this game to go and go until Cyberpunk 2077 is released.

• Options
    XeddicusXeddicus Registered User regular
    The most amazing thing to me in that video is how fast he's switching weapons. I have the quick switch, but I can't switch weapons at all for the first 3 seconds or some minor eternity when loading into that fight. Didn't try doing it after yet...

Also: Fuck the Marauder.

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I just wait for the eyes, dash backwards. Super
    TelMarine wrote: »
    last boss is not fun or good imo
    a game about using different guns and abilities to defeat different enemies with different capabilities in interesting arenas

except final boss has nothing in common with any of them or any mechanics, and his arena is full of infinitely regenerating one shot juice so u never actually use anything u have learned. u literally just chainsaw and one shot everything while u spam into his enormous boring fucking health bar

a literal straightforward arena with lots of hard monsters would have been better!

My only real complaints were
    1. It's hard to tell which parts are remaining to kill. Often I'd be at 6/8 or 7/8 left and I couldn't discern what was left (often it was the hands/arms/biceps)
    2. You are frequently dependent on using the chainsaw to get ammo, which keeps interrupting the flow. Especially since a lot of the monsters that spawn require full chainsaw fuel.

The BFG is very powerful, but it feels like you don't get to play around with it enough.

A lot of the arenas they put you in, I couldn't help but think "man...this would be fun to play some FFA deathmatch in".

I’d say you aren’t really meant to use the chainsaw on larger foes.

Maybe in the entire game I had used it 2 - 3 times on a heavy.

I look at it as just an ammo refill, and the one pip recharges pretty fast. I could cycle through my weapons, use the ammo and it was always recharged.

There was one point early on, where I actually ran out of ammo and really it was before I got into the flow of things.

• Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Just finished the ARC level, that Slayer Gate where you defeat
    The 2 Tyrants AND Doom Hunter was intense
    but I beat it without dying. I've gotten to the point in the game where the only time I die is when I get caught on something in the environment or in a corner and just get pummeled by enemies that dog pile me and won't let me jump or dash away. It's annoying to die because you got caught under a writhing mass of demon.

The_Spaniard on
    Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    Blueshift wrote: »
    Has anyone attempted the "can't beat perfection" milestone? I get that you can't get sentinel crystals (avoid them) but the challenges give you suit points. Does just acquiring the point itself count against the milestone or do you have to actually spend it on a perk? It would be nice if the milestone got like an X through it to let you know you fucked up. I'm seeing conflicting (if any) information on this, just wondering if anyone out there tried it.

I would assume that it works the way it says it does, which is that you can get one suit upgrade and doesn't care how many upgrade points you get as long as you don't buy more than one upgrade.

@Blueshift
    I have now completed that milestone and can confirm that it does not care about how many praetor suit points you collect. I finished with over 20 points, but only ever bought fast weapon swap.

• Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    fucking amazing game

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular
    ...I just had a Marauder commit suicide.

how?

Jumped up into a wall. Then once he was stuck in the wall, he died instantly.

So, uh, that happened.

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    The_SpaniardThe_Spaniard It's never lupines Irvine, CaliforniaRegistered User regular
    ...I just had a Marauder commit suicide.

how?

Jumped up into a wall. Then once he was stuck in the wall, he died instantly.

So, uh, that happened.

I fell into the floor once during a firefight. Didn't die and didn't fall all the way through. I was stuck up to my waist and couldn't move. I frantically shot everything, and eventually mashing the jump and dash buttons got me unstuck.

I've noticed a few collision bugs in the game. I've been phased through a climbing pole once to the other side while still gripping it, I've been launched off the ground after a jump, and been air-hockey-ed a bit here and there.

Playstation/Origin/GoG: Span_Wolf Xbox/uPlay/Bnet: SpanWolf Nintendo: Span_Wolf SW-7097-4917-9392 Steam: http://steamcommunity.com/id/Span_Wolf/
  • Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular
    Several times I've had those stalker enemies go invisible and phase into walls, oftentimes depending on where they ended up this meant I couldn't clear the arena to open the door, so I would have to reload from a checkpoint.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Well, I just had the game steal a weapon mastery from me. I completed the plasma rifle mastery, got the popup and everything, checked my arsenal and it said 30/30. Then I started the next mission, and part way through the mission I was checking my weapons and it showed my plasma rifle was at 27/30 for the mastery. Thanks game...

Edit: Update on the topic of my post before this one, I just got completely stuck in a wall. Chainsawed an imp as it was climbing and after the animation was done I was inside the wall. Had to restart the checkpoint.

The_Spaniard on
  • Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    I wish they’d do like a quake quadrillogy collection for consoles. I’d like to have them all remastered upscaled and in one place with new achievements

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Is there a way to save your progress through the master levels?

Also: post-campaign doing the master levels is terrifying with how dangerous you are.

EDIT: I'm seriously worried this game has broken other FPS's for me as well. I was already a complete sucker for "get in close and finish them off" and this game is like...100% that.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Do I really have to turn off my internet connection every time I want to play this game to get out of being forced to make a bethesda.net account?

Viskod on
  • Options
    Also I will admit, the glory kill for the Marauder does make fighting them way more satisfying...
    Where he catches your fist and for his trouble gets a doom blade through the skull.

• Options
    Also I will admit, the glory kill for the Marauder does make fighting them way more satisfying...
    Where he catches your fist and for his trouble gets a doom blade through the skull.

There’s a great one where you take his axe and decapitate him with it. I only ever got it once I have no idea how to trigger it

I also love the one where you jump on top of the cyber demon, repeatedly stab it in the head, and then ride it as it collapses to the ground. It gives a great sense of scale and action

• Options
    It does occur to me that despite my complaints, I'd be content to settle them in the form of DLC where I wiped Marauders out of the Doom universe.

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular

There’s a great one where you take his axe and decapitate him with it. I only ever got it once I have no idea how to trigger it.

Do the GK from his right (axe holding) side, I think.
    I always just mash the button as fast as possible because fuck letting them recover, but if you've got the rune to make them stagger longer, you have plenty of time to set up for the kill you want.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    It does occur to me that despite my complaints, I'd be content to settle them in the form of DLC where I wiped Marauders out of the Doom universe.

Or at least give me my own doggy to like distract enemies and run interference

Prohass on
  • Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    Yeah part of me was hoping for a dog buddy. Could be some cool team-up glory kills.

They don’t even look evil with the yellow glow.

• Options
    My favorite glory kill is arachnotron from behind. You flip it over on its back and it explodes.

• Options
    Peewi wrote: »
    My favorite glory kill is arachnotron from behind. You flip it over on its back and it explodes.
    It's just like cow tipping, except with one crucial difference.

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Registered User regular
    This game is awesome. But you cannot take a break from it and dive right back into the fold... At least I can't. My first 10 minutes I'm sloppy and slow and everything is hitting me. Then all of a sudden everything clicks and I'm dashing everywhere and glory killing hordes of Demons and it feels good.

• Options
    I love the bookshelf in Doomguys mancave.
    The puns are good, but I love the shoutouts to other games.

• Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    klemming wrote: »
    I love the bookshelf in Doomguys mancave.
    The puns are good, but I love the shoutouts to other games.

Since it is Bethesda I was really hoping for a copy of the Lusty Argonian Maid in there somewhere.

• Options
    DonnictonDonnicton Registered User regular

Or at least give me my own doggy to like distract enemies and run interference

It kinda felt like that's what it was building up to with the green dog, but then they went nowhere with it.