As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

It's a [Doom/Quake]! id Software's Classic Legacy of Eternal Carnage

• Options
    ForarForar #432 Toronto, Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    It does occur to me that despite my complaints, I'd be content to settle them in the form of DLC where I wiped Marauders out of the Doom universe.

Or at least give me my own doggy to like distract enemies and run interference

It kinda felt like that's what it was building up to with the green dog, but then they went nowhere with it.

We can keep our fingers crossed for the upcoming DLC.

Seems like the kind of mechanic that might be fun to introduce later, but not have to fully worry about balancing the entire game around having.

Though from that perspective, they could have included it once we beat the game.

Speaking of which, going back through grabbing collectibles is super fun, especially the early levels. I felt like a total badass even with just the shotgun, but now I zone in and it's like oh, hello there gents, I AM BECOME DEATH DESTROYER OF WORLDS.

First they came for the Muslims, and we said NOT TODAY, MOTHERFUCKER!
  • Options
    AkilaeAkilae Registered User regular
    So does anybody know if skin unlocks require you to be signed into the Bethesda account thing? I unlocked the OG Doom skin, but for some reason it doesn't appear in the customization menu. Come to think of it, I don't see my pre-order shotgun skin either...

• Options
    JoolanderJoolander Registered User regular
    So I just realized

Boss design
    The Gladiator is straight up an old school Hell Knight in appearance

33zq6fr5r66e.jpeg
    dm9r9t7i0xlp.jpeg

• Options
    urahonkyurahonky Resident FF7R hater Registered User regular
    Lost 3 hours of progress. I was playing and went offline so my friend could play Half Life Alyx... When I reconnected it asked me which save to use and I selected local since it was newer and now I'm a few levels behind and my suit not upgraded.

Not going to lie I'm really fuckin annoyed right now.

• Options
    SoggybiscuitSoggybiscuit Tandem Electrostatic Accelerator Registered User regular
    urahonky wrote: »
    Lost 3 hours of progress. I was playing and went offline so my friend could play Half Life Alyx... When I reconnected it asked me which save to use and I selected local since it was newer and now I'm a few levels behind and my suit not upgraded.

Ohh, I was so pissed at the game earlier. I was in the middle of a boss fight, kicking ass, and I go for the last hit and the game crashes to desktop with no warning. Holy hell that pissed me off.

Steam - Synthetic Violence | XBOX Live - Cannonfuse | PSN - CastleBravo | Twitch - SoggybiscuitPA
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Joolander wrote: »
    So I just realized

Boss design
    The Gladiator is straight up an old school Hell Knight in appearance

33zq6fr5r66e.jpeg
    dm9r9t7i0xlp.jpeg

Ohhhh...... that's what those things always were.

Here I just always thought they were wearing brown pants.

• Options
    RT800RT800 Registered User regular
    I feel like the Icon of Sin was too small.

I mean, it was pretty big.

But in DOOM 2 when you kill the Icon it says that the demon's flailing limbs "devastate untold miles of Hell's surface".

That always gave me the impression that it was supposed to truly, epicly, enormous. Like "you can't even see the entire thing" huge.

• Options
    Space PickleSpace Pickle Registered User regular
    I feel like the icon of sin did not look enough like John romero

also agree about the brown pants

• Options
    DixonDixon Screwed...possibly doomed CanadaRegistered User regular
    I never thought it was pants, but now that you’ve said it...looks like they wearing some sweet leathers.

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular
    Master Levels are no joke.

I think the Cultist base had like 5-6 tyrants in it.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

Yeah but tyrants are pretty easy. They have a critical weakness to bullets.

(Chaingun with shield messes them and barons up real well - very easy to headshot a tyrant)

Archvilles are the ones I save my one shot abilities for, since they're just super obnoxious. Best to get them in the ground asap.

Also from further testing on marauders there a narrow window where they're committed to the axe swing where rockets can hit them. It's pretty tight

Ideas hate it when you anthropomorphize them
    Steam: https://steamcommunity.com/id/TheZombiePenguin
    Stream: https://www.twitch.tv/thezombiepenguin/
    Switch: 0293 6817 9891
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    just airburst rockets near them to chain stun them no need to wait

obF2Wuw.png
  • Options
    Handsome CostanzaHandsome Costanza Ask me about 8bitdo RIP Iwata-sanRegistered User regular

Ohh, I was so pissed at the game earlier. I was in the middle of a boss fight, kicking ass, and I go for the last hit and the game crashes to desktop with no warning. Holy hell that pissed me off.

Same, vs the gladiator?

Nintendo Switch friend code: 7305-5583-0420. Add me!
    Resident 8bitdo expert.
    Resident hybrid/flap cover expert.
  • Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
  • Options
    august wrote: »

I mean

Final Level spoilers
    the UAC spokesperson does shout “LEMMY IS GOD!!!”

• Options
    Undead ScottsmanUndead Scottsman Registered User regular

Yeah but tyrants are pretty easy. They have a critical weakness to bullets.

(Chaingun with shield messes them and barons up real well - very easy to headshot a tyrant)

Archvilles are the ones I save my one shot abilities for, since they're just super obnoxious. Best to get them in the ground asap.

Also from further testing on marauders there a narrow window where they're committed to the axe swing where rockets can hit them. It's pretty tight

Oh yeah, the Tyrants are basically asshole turrets.

Barons and Arch-Viles are the ones who taste the cut of my sword.

• Options
    The Zombie PenguinThe Zombie Penguin Eternal Hungry Corpse Registered User regular

I've tried that - they dodge like crazy and definitely do not get stunned. So maybe you're doing something different to me, or something?

• Options
    Casually HardcoreCasually Hardcore Once an Asshole. Trying to be better. Registered User regular
    Honestly, Arch-Viles are probably the worst enemy in this game. Marauders aint got nothing on them.

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    The rocket stun is iffy. As near as I can tell, you can't overlap the effects; stunning an enemy with one rocket means you have to wait for them to fully recover before hitting them with another stun. Not the biggest deal if you're spamming enough rockets, but there's enough time between shots that enemies can start to get out of the blast area before long.

Tyrants are big and slow, though, so I just back off and hit them with triple rocket salvos. I like the remote detonator on the rockets as my go-to mod there, but for maximum damage on a single target the lock-on is the way to go.

• Options
    ProhassProhass Registered User regular
    Yeah tyrants are pretty easy, tho badass and add a lot of spectacle to a fight. The first time I saw one leap up onto the platform I was on I still shit my pants tho

• Options
    Honestly, Arch-Viles are probably the worst enemy in this game. Marauders aint got nothing on them.

Yeah, but they can be instantly deleted (and honestly, if you can get on them, they go down fast - it's just getting to them without getting shredded by fire waves that's the hard part)

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The terror in the archviles eyes when you glory kill them is always so satisfying. They have the look of a haughty General suddenly finding themselves personally vulnerable. Their eyes basically say “wait no! We can negotiate!”

Prohass on
  • Options
    surrealitychecksurrealitycheck lonely, but not unloved dreaming of faulty keys and latchesRegistered User regular
    edited March 2020

I've tried that - they dodge like crazy and definitely do not get stunned. So maybe you're doing something different to me, or something?
    you neerd da upgrades

frags with upgrades work too

EDIT: you obviosuly ned to blow up it up behind the shield tho

its mad consistent

surrealitycheck on
    obF2Wuw.png
  • Options

you neerd da upgrades

frags with upgrades work too

EDIT: you obviosuly ned to blow up it up behind the shield tho

its mad consistent

No, i've got the upgrades, and i've been trying to do that - he will literally dash-dodge away from an incoming rocket, and remote det rockets seem to just tickle stuff rather than do any real damage.

Must be missing soemthing, or literally just missing!

• Options
    Ninja Snarl PNinja Snarl P My helmet is my burden. Ninja Snarl: Gone, but not forgotten.Registered User regular
    edited March 2020
    Short of having the BFG handy, the max reliable damage combo I've found against the Marauder is ballista/super shotty/ballista. The ballista is hitscan so it will instantly interrupt the green flash at a range where the super shotty is still basically at max damage, but then that hit will push him out so that you want to use the ballista again; this also leaves him at near-perfect distance to get him to do another flash strike, so you can follow the first combo with the second combo and kill him fast. With quick swapping, you land all three hits reliably and the Marauder goes down into two combos max, even on Nightmare. You can do super shotty/ballista/super shotty if you can reliably remember to dash towards him, though; then you can get back in max damage range for that third shot. This is more forgiving on aim because the super shotty is easier to hit with, but a little more complicated with the extra movement.

I found the rocket launcher to be completely inconsistent against the Marauder. Maxed remote detonation was no problem for him, he'd almost always shield it unless he was going in for an interruptable strike. The lock-on is terribly unreliable because of his AI; you can have him dead to rights, hit that fire button, and the travel time on the rockets alone will give him long enough to get his shield back up because you basically have to fire it before he even starts a flash strike. And even worse, that flash strike comes at you, which means that you're almost certain to hit yourself with rocket damage even when you do manage a rocket hit.

Maxed frag grenades will reliably stagger him but other than that, it's not worth trying to get around his shield. You can kill him in two easy cycles of ballista and super shotty fire, or take what is by far the easiest route and just do super shotty/BFG quickswap for a one-two combo that kills him at any difficulty. There's only a single Marauder before you get the BFG, and it is always 100% worth it saving at least one BFG round for the next inevitable Marauder fight.

Ninja Snarl P on
  • Options
    Hey so where do I sign up to buy real life versions of the figures Doomguy collects?

• Options
    edited March 2020
    Hey so where do I sign up to buy real life versions of the figures Doomguy collects?

I want that shelf in real life. They would make so much money off me personally alone

Also even without glory kills I think this game has the most satisfying and awesome shooting and damage feedback in FPS history. the way things gib, or blow in half and you see the legs stand for a moment, arms flying off, the gore and flesh tearing off where you shoot. Even armoured enemies have unique details underneath when you shoot them, for instance the arachnatrons have these spindly red metal legs underneath their heavier armour, so when you blow it off they really look ungainly and helpless

Also the way enemies skin glows red when theyre on fire and you glory kill them looks so painful

Prohass on
  • Options
    edited March 2020

I dont want all of them, because soem of them are honestly ugly to me... but there's a bunch that i DO want, because they're great.

Cacodemon and Arachantron off hte top of my head. (also, if you all missed it... go check this end of credit scene out: )

The Zombie Penguin on
  • Options
    I love that the mancubus one has a little cartoon heart in the chest

• Options
    klemmingklemming Registered User regular
    Forar wrote: »
    Donnicton wrote: »
    Prohass wrote: »
    It does occur to me that despite my complaints, I'd be content to settle them in the form of DLC where I wiped Marauders out of the Doom universe.

Or at least give me my own doggy to like distract enemies and run interference

It kinda felt like that's what it was building up to with the green dog, but then they went nowhere with it.

We can keep our fingers crossed for the upcoming DLC.

Seems like the kind of mechanic that might be fun to introduce later, but not have to fully worry about balancing the entire game around having.

Though from that perspective, they could have included it once we beat the game.

Speaking of which, going back through grabbing collectibles is super fun, especially the early levels. I felt like a total badass even with just the shotgun, but now I zone in and it's like oh, hello there gents, I AM BECOME DEATH DESTROYER OF WORLDS.

I think there's a lot of things they show that make you want them, and I hope they're planning them for DLC.
    Green Wolf Buddy you can send to distract enemies is one (make it an equipment alternative to the grenade/frost bomb, only effective against Mauraders, and I will buy the DLC for that alone) Giant Demon Slaying Jaegers is another.

You put one in my base and don't let me drive it? Not cool, id.

Nobody remembers the singer. The song remains.
  • Options
    edited March 2020
    Haha oh man shotgunning the carcass legs sends it flopping onto the ground in a panic and then it struggles to stand back up, there’s so much detail in the stagger states and reactions to gunfire

Also I do like that (nekraval level spoilers)
    the demons built a statue to Olivia Pearce. I mean they did turn her into a giant spider. But still

That was kind of heartwarming

Prohass on
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    Revenants are slowly earning my respect. They're just enthusiastic about what they're their to do. Like, you bring down two Tyrants and then there's still a Revanent there charging on up dead set that it'll definitely be the one who takes down the Doomslayer.

• Options
    Revenants are slowly earning my respect. They're just enthusiastic about what they're their to do. Like, you bring down two Tyrants and then there's still a Revanent there charging on up dead set that it'll definitely be the one who takes down the Doomslayer.

While I like the glassy eyed look of the 2016 revenant, giving them pupils in eternal does help make them look even more crazy eyed and frenetic

• Options
    I am on the last level and I still have zero idea how to fight Marauders. I just avoid them until the end of the fight and then spend 20 minutes fighting them slowly until I get the sweet glory kill.

I know you are supposed to fight them mid range and wait for their green eyes but those wolves fuck everything up.

• Options
    edited March 2020
    The meta strategy is to use a ballista and shotty with them, but personally I fast switched between shotty and either a plasma or heavy cannon to deal with dogs or hit fodder to stagger Gk and get health. Basically a fast firing gun to deal with the chaff

Also try a bit further back than mid range, you can still get fucked up but they often run into a charge and their attacks are easier to dodge

I just shotty them twice when they stagger and try and grenade spam my peripherals to keep anything else off my back, it’s slower than the leet strategy but safer I think

Prohass on
  • Options
    I just need more practice with them. I wish I could set an arena with just one of them so I can practice those. Super shotgun does seem to hit him hard but I might try what you said and swap in something fast.

• Options
    I just need more practice with them. I wish I could set an arena with just one of them so I can practice those. Super shotgun does seem to hit him hard but I might try what you said and swap in something fast.

Tara nabaad has a marauder right at the start on the bridge section, that's about the easiest to access and practice on one

• Options

Tara nabaad has a marauder right at the start on the bridge section, that's about the easiest to access and practice on one

I didn't even think about that... Thanks!

• Options
    BasilBasil Registered User regular
    A bit of practice does go far with them.

9KmX8eN.jpg
  • Options
    DarmakDarmak RAGE vympyvvhyc vyctyvyRegistered User regular
    q7wxi3-qogdiXIHc.jpg

JtgVX0H.png