Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    potty training is one thing that I am DREADING.

I'm not sure why. But the thought fills me with no little anxiety.

I recommend "oh crap". The transition was easier than I thought. There's still regressions, but it's so much better. In regards to constant crying- check the poop for any blood, as it may be a temp food sensitivity (we had that problem).
    2 kids is rough logistically, but now at 3 and 1 we're seeing how awesome them playing together is.

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    No, sorry. Misspoke.

She had shown interest at 18 months and we had started work on it and she was doing pretty good and was excited, we had charts and stickers and treats and a potty watch and she was announcing pretty frequently when she was ready to go. The thing was, you had to be johhny on the spot with it all. When she was ready or when that potty watch went off, it was time to BOOK. But since my wife works from home (that's why we needed the in home care) she couldn't jump for that and the nanny kept dropping the ball there, wouldn't hear or care about the potty watch going off or wouldn't pay attention to potty distress signals and the work we were doing there just started to erode.

We're just now building back up to where we were at it's best. We aren't sad or mad or whatever that she isn't potty trained yet it's just that we had been making some good progress that stagnated or even reversed.

And I do want to say, we really liked our nanny and we still use her as a baby sitter and we waiting until she found another job before switching. It's just that she much preferred and was far better suited for a much more low key kid and tiny babies, Wren's just really spirited and determined and curious and uh...EXCESSIVE.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    oh @kime i love her name! Oh how sweet and precious and oh I'm so very happy for you! congratulations! how's mamma doing?

I'l get the tv and things up into the OP later this afternoon.

@Ketar Thank you for pointing us towards Bharat books! Ellie loves Padmini is powerful. I haven't gotten any of the others yet. Out of curiosity (and this is likely to seem strange so please don't be offended), Are you aware of any similar type kids books that do anything with Tamil?

Sorry, no idea when it comes to Tamil :( I actually came across Bharat Babies when one of the authors managed to get an article about her first book linked on an aggregator site I check periodically, and they were perfect for us since my wife wanted books for the kids that would help them understand a little bit about her childhood in India and all of the family members still there on her side. I'll try asking around through the in-laws just in case.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »

Ketar Thank you for pointing us towards Bharat books! Ellie loves Padmini is powerful. I haven't gotten any of the others yet. Out of curiosity (and this is likely to seem strange so please don't be offended), Are you aware of any similar type kids books that do anything with Tamil?

Sorry, no idea when it comes to Tamil :( I actually came across Bharat Babies when one of the authors managed to get an article about her first book linked on an aggregator site I check periodically, and they were perfect for us since my wife wanted books for the kids that would help them understand a little bit about her childhood in India and all of the family members still there on her side. I'll try asking around through the in-laws just in case.

don't go to any trouble! It's for a friend of mine. And i"m not sure how interested they are in having it for their son.

I've been loving getting multicultural books for the baby, though. Kar-Ben is a publisher that does a lot of children's books on Judaism, in case anybody wanted to expand their horizons that way.
    I've got Padmini is Powerful.
    And we also picked up "Golden Domes and Silver Lanterns" which is a colours book around Islam.
    And I think in her room I've also gotten a couple colours and counting books from a Chinese heritage standpoint

• Options
    CenoCeno pizza time Registered User regular
    zjs3phnl0vcq.jpg

I need a mumu like this.

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    www.mysnuggiestore.com

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Question: When vacationing, do toddlers/babies have disrupted bathroom schedules? We went up North for four days, and while she had lots of liquids and food, she made only one bowel movement. No crankiness or fever, but considering she usually goes once per day, I'm assuming all the excitement, she's just had a bit of a disruption.

Edit: Yup... she just got up from her post trip nap, and made a barely contained dump.

This is now too late for you but my son only poops at home when he can help it. So on trips he will hold it for up to three days. It all comes out eventually.

You'd think that would help us with potty training, but while he does go on the toilet twice a day he just has no interest in going diaper free and will just complain until we put one on.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Please. Just go back to sleep. We have 2 hours still before we have to leave for school/work. Go back to sleep.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Five children and I could probably count the number of times they've slept in on one hand.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    davidsdurionsdavidsdurions Your Trusty Meatshield Panhandle NebraskaRegistered User regular
    Leah is 3.5 year old. Slept in once because she was sick and once for no reason we can fathom. Wished for more every day but there is no higher power listening to that request.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Oliver is nearly 18 months now and...suddenly started sleeping in til between 8am and 9am most days, and taking naps that last between 1-2 hours. I really don't know who swapped my kid and when, but I can't say I'm complaining. I even got up at our usual 7am the other day and waited for him to wake up for 2 1/2 hours. I keep telling myself it won't last (definitely not going to matter when we have a newborn on our hands come December), but...I can hope?
    Also, it's like the part of the kid's brain that makes associations, both good and bad, seems to have clicked on in the last few weeks. He apparently "fell" in the bath at grandma's house a few weeks ago and we haven't had a tear-free bath since, to the point where he sees the tub and starts crying. Hence the air quotes around fell. He must have hit his head or gotten a few mouthfuls of water or something that she doesn't want to tell us about for him to be crippled by fear of the tub. I had to get in with him last night with my swim trunks and just chill with him for a little bit and give him a popsicle to calm him down before he would sit down in the water and splash around a bit. Hopefully we're on the road to recovery but I'm more than a little irritated at my wife's stepmom for apparently downplaying whatever happened that he freaks out in water now. The kid used to love baths and it's heartbreaking that he's not my happy little splasher anymore.

• Options
    HardtargetHardtarget There Are Four Lights VancouverRegistered User regular
    My wife and kids just went on a trip for the past few days and it seems like they had some good fun:
    20375933_10155305682080659_7525075049990963887_n.jpg?oh=75cb29067a8312b71e79fbd36cbcd0d1&oe=59FDE95B
    20479991_10155305682200659_8844896962112292577_n.jpg?oh=d0696d4217970264cca8ee6dd7ac21e1&oe=5A31381C
    20479707_10155307925235659_8072644124770051680_n.jpg?oh=77bd1d462d9c77dca8b34136c564fabc&oe=5A0078BB
    20476496_10159191147120066_6930893836128971041_n.jpg?oh=2b09039abd4d83a81261f1e210df9df4&oe=59EFDC62

apparently Julia decided to booze it up at the end there:
    20258228_10159161407075066_6822908516669619058_n.jpg?oh=ce40fe228ec04e538eb37d30424198b6&oe=5A31CCE7

steam_sig.png
    kHDRsTc.png
  • Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    ydlzklwdwut4.png

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Lindsay LohanLindsay Lohan Registered User regular
    That's right up there with "Clean your room" which to my 12 year old translates to "Go watch Youtube".

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ugh my poor wife is going nuts. Jack has been miserable, doing nothing but crying and screaming for the past week, and Mallory is being a two-year old and she's going insane. Spends the past few days saying she can't do this anymore and crying. I don't know what to do for her, I'm at work all day until 630, and they're too young for me to take into the office. I think it's time for her to go back to work but she doesn't seem to want to hear it.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    If there's some way to do it, come home and give her the night off, or a day on a weekend. Take the kids out to a park and give her a night to take a bath, read a book, go to a movie, whatever.

My wife hits those times too, and she feels like it's a job you don't get a lunch break or any time off from unless you're sleeping.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    If there's some way to do it, come home and give her the night off, or a day on a weekend. Take the kids out to a park and give her a night to take a bath, read a book, go to a movie, whatever.

My wife hits those times too, and she feels like it's a job you don't get a lunch break or any time off from unless you're sleeping.

I try to give her as much time as I can, but Jack is still breastfeeding, and she hates pumping so we don't have a whole lot of milk, so there's only so long my wife can be gone.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

I try to give her as much time as I can, but Jack is still breastfeeding, and she hates pumping so we don't have a whole lot of milk, so there's only so long my wife can be gone.

Ah, yeah breastfeeding is awesome but that is a definite downside. My Hannah would refuse the bottle for months before she finally gave in and would be ok with me feeding her. Abigail didn't like it, but gave in much easier.

What's the norm between feedings? 2-3 hrs or more often?

Mallory your oldest?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options

Ah, yeah breastfeeding is awesome but that is a definite downside. My Hannah would refuse the bottle for months before she finally gave in and would be ok with me feeding her. Abigail didn't like it, but gave in much easier.

Mallory your oldest?

Yeah, Mallory is the 2 year old, Jack is 5 months.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options

Mallory your oldest?

Yeah, Mallory is the 2 year old, Jack is 5 months.

I wish there was a simple answer, but yeah, I can commiserate with ya. It's a tough time. 2yo isn't an easy age, and most of mine were rough from 2 1/2 to 3 1/2. And doing that plus handling a 5mo is tough. Just keep on encouraging, do some massages, and keep on helping.

I will add that for our kids, consistency was HUGE when they were in that age range. Discipline and being firm on an answer was not easy, but seemed to work best for them to stop trying and push us to our limits when they wouldn't get what they wanted. They still try from time to time though. I think that's probably just all kids, thinking of friends of ours with teenagers. My oldest is still just 10.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    @SyphonBlue Do you have anyone who would be willing to come sit for a day? I know you said that your wife is breastfeeding but if someone was there to watch the kids, she could relax on her own and just come out to feed the baby. That's what I had to do pretty frequently- have a family member come over so I could get some sleep then set an alarm for feeding times.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Kinda crossposting because this is about politics and parenting, but my wife was just published in the Spinoff parents again, this time on the double standard of expectations on women in politics.

https://thespinoff.co.nz/parenting/03-08-2017/the-evidence-about-mums-in-politics-and-why-i-stopped-caring/

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    There are also " mother's helpers", who can come help look after the kids while your wife is there. Usually a lot cheaper than full-on sitters. In the summer, it's easier to get an older school-child to help out.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    There are also " mother's helpers", who can come help look after the kids while your wife is there. Usually a lot cheaper than full-on sitters. In the summer, it's easier to get an older school-child to help out.

Hmm...I'll have to look into this, never heard of it before.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    @SyphonBlue Do you have anyone who would be willing to come sit for a day? I know you said that your wife is breastfeeding but if someone was there to watch the kids, she could relax on her own and just come out to feed the baby. That's what I had to do pretty frequently- have a family member come over so I could get some sleep then set an alarm for feeding times.

Unfortunately, no. My family lives in Florida, and her mom lives in Pennsylvania less than an hour and a half away but has never once offered to come help in any way.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    My wife saw someone posted a part-time job that she was interested in, and messaged the lady who posted it, and got this response back:

h9uAOVpl.png

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    What the fuck, lady

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Because we all know that is literally impossible to work when you have kids. I have a feeling if applied to the same person they'd say, "You're a man. Why do you watch kids?"

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Gilbert0Gilbert0 North of SeattleRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Because we all know that is literally impossible to work when you have kids. I have a feeling if applied to the same person they'd say, "You're a man. Why do you watch kids?"

Oh man, had that before. I took a parental leave last year for 5 months because my collective agreement says I can and get (most) of my pay while away. The older gen of people (mostly guys) were like "Why?". Because I don't know, parenting is a joint process and having a new born at home is a lot of work (especially when we already have one) and I want to bond with my new born.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Gilbert0 wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »

Oh man, had that before. I took a parental leave last year for 5 months because my collective agreement says I can and get (most) of my pay while away. The older gen of people (mostly guys) were like "Why?". Because I don't know, parenting is a joint process and having a new born at home is a lot of work (especially when we already have one) and I want to bond with my new born.

"You shouldn't be at home. That's woman folk work."
    "Mm."
    "Yes, here here!"
    "My wife raised our 6 kids and didn't complain once!"
    "Raising a kid is easier than balancing this accounts!"
    "Indeed! Numbers confuse woman."
    "I hear too much math makes them get headaches."
    "My wife must be reading math books then. Shes always got a headache come bedtime."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    My baby is walking.

I think I should invest in crash helmets :/

• Options
    My baby is walking.

I think I should invest in crash helmets :/

Corner bumpers are wonderful, except when they decide to just chew on them or pull them off.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    If corners were the problem then yeah for sure would get them. He seems to have a fondness for running full tilt into walls and doorjambs, however.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    If corners were the problem then yeah for sure would get them. He seems to have a fondness for running full tilt into walls and doorjambs, however.

Let 'em do it once, then they won't try again. It's not like they're gonna need ALL their baby teeth, those things are destined to fall out anyway!

• Options

Let 'em do it once, then they won't try again.

So I thought lol. He comes by his stubbornness honestly.

• Options
    Incident at daycare today. They were playing at the gym, and when they got back they realized they forgot my daughter.

. . .

Dot dot dot

We're going to meet them in a little bit to discuss, but I'm in a mixture of panic, fury, and incredible depression right now. The last is mostly because I've been sick the last few days, and when they called I was asleep. And didn't wake up. Out for my wife's call. So I feel like an asshole. :(

• Options
    Oh that's not good. I understand mistakes happen but that should have so many safeguards to prevent from happening. :(

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    RobonunRobonun It's all fun and games until someone pisses off China Registered User regular
    Unleash hell. That is a major failure of accountability.

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    Like, step #1 is count the kids on and off the bus, to start with...

• Options
    Thankfully it's all in the same building. The daycare is built onto the high school and is part of their vocational program. But yeah, that doesn't make it better. Leaving in a sec, I'll update later?

This discussion has been closed.