As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    Turns out the high fever was due to a UTI

She had no other symptoms. Both doctors we saw just said ‘viral’. My brother in the UK, also a doctor, suggested I ask for a urine test. I can’t advocate for myself but I can advocate for my kids, and I found the courage to speak up and ask for a urine test. The clinic staff kind of shrugged, but then rang me 2 hrs later and said they’d called in antibiotics and it was indeed a UTI. Anyway, Anya’s already a ton better and is feeling nice and cool tonight.

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    Parenting "hack": the best way I've found to cover a faucet in a bath is to just buy a pool noodle and cut to slightly longer that the faucet. Cheaper and more secure than either of the two covers i bought specificslly for this purpose.

3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Speaking of bath faucets, Mini-Muzz has somehow pulled off the shower plunger. Still can't find all the pieces. Not sure how she did it, but its baths for us until I can get it repaired or replaced.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Parenting "hack": the best way I've found to cover a faucet in a bath is to just buy a pool noodle and cut to slightly longer that the faucet. Cheaper and more secure than either of the two covers i bought specificslly for this purpose.

Our elephant cover that is supposed to spray water is a piece of shit. It does the job of covering the thing so she can't hurt herself. But the spray part? The mouth opens and closes to allow spray or no spray. But if you close the mouth it just pops open due to water pressure. To make it spray you have to wrangle it like it's a real elephant. Wow I didn't realize how much that thing annoys me until I started typing it out.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    We have a whale that is meant to do the same and also never worked.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    Pool noodles are almost too useful to waste on a pool IMO

Also candyland always had cards :P

And it seems like all is dying, and would leave the world to mourn
  • Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Just spent three days in the hospital with my son. He had put tubes in his ears and tonsils scraped down and adenoids removed. Operation was good and took like half an hour, then they kept us for observation over the weekend.

My son is a serious tough guy though, they always brought pain medication and he refused it because he said he felt fine. He also started eating everything they allowed and the stuff I pushed for they were wary off (like broccoli).

I also paid for the hospital WiFi and we probably watched more videos this weekend than in all the 4 years of his life so far. Amazon prime only has one series of fireman Sam and I can't even count how often we rewatched that.

We also had the change to summer time this weekend which was extra terrible because hospital staff don't care and will wake your ass up at 6:50. (I get that they are on a tight schedule)

• Options
    Ponty Pandy would be much safer if they just exiled Norman

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    plufim wrote: »
    Ponty Pandy would be much safer if they just exiled Norman

I think the only real repercussion he got for his antics in the whole series was that once he didn't get cake, he only got muffins. That's it. Tbf, there were also like 2 episodes where it wasn't his fault.

• Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    I swear when my son was on the fireman sam kick amazon had like 4 seasons of it.

That show should have been titled "Seriously italians you're terrible." I mean the ladies name is Bella Lasanga!

Later on they add crocadile dundee the pilot.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    EntriechEntriech ? ? ? ? ? Ontario, CanadaRegistered User regular
    Netflix Canada has the old 2000ish run of Pokemon (now titled Pokemon: Indigo League), as well as the more recent 2015/2016 Pokemon XY and XYZ. My 3.5 year old daughter is 100% into and on board with it. She also calls them 'pookepons' and so far resists all correction. This morning she handed me a stuffed Walrus while she held a stuffed wooly mammoth and told me that "Walrusy" was going to battle.

What have I done.

• Options
    LaOsLaOs SaskatoonRegistered User regular
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Day 3 of vasectomy recovery. Pain has been close to non existent really. Minor bruising, super minimal swelling. Super glue instead of stitches might be playing a large part of that.

I’ve been able to help out with my 1 year old, picking him up and what not with no issues. Good stuff

Glad it's going well. I didn't have any pain after mine...

... until a month later when whoops! now my epididymis is inflamed.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    LaOs wrote: »
    Day 3 of vasectomy recovery. Pain has been close to non existent really. Minor bruising, super minimal swelling. Super glue instead of stitches might be playing a large part of that.

I’ve been able to help out with my 1 year old, picking him up and what not with no issues. Good stuff

Glad it's going well. I didn't have any pain after mine...

... until a month later when whoops! now my epididymis is inflamed.

Nothing until a month later? Yeesh!

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Eh, there may have been a small flareup two weeks out from the procedure, but that was mostly just some extra discomfort and handled with rest and ibuprofen. Then, two weeks after that, it hit again but hit hard and had lots of swelling and whatnot. It should not have been the size of a lemon.

More rest and a course of drugs eventually sorted it out.

• Options
    Yeah definitely take it easy on lifting and such pretty sure that's where I got fucked up and gave myself an infection.

Didn't help when the dude gave me the Anti Biotics and noted they are used to clear up MRSA which was a terrifying thought considering what was infected.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Meanwhile, my husband is vaguely terrified of getting a vasectomy.
    I just got my third copper IUD put in today. First was a while ago when it was determined hormonal birth control was bad for me. Took it out when we decided to have our kiddos.
    Second one was after the birth of my youngest when we decided we didn't want any more. Took it out when I started a clinical trial for a new sterilization method.
    It didn't work for me.
    Giving it a try for a while. Not the biggest fan, but now many other options out there.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    Sounds kind of selfish of your husband, but I don't know your life or situation.

I mean even as someone who had worst case scenario. I did that for my wife because the pregnancy was no picnic.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    PeenPeen Registered User regular
    To agree with Preacher's general statement, I find guys who won't get vasectomies but expect their wives to remain on birth control indefinitely unacceptable. I don't know about anyone's specific situation and there may be extenuating circumstances, but if there aren't then just do the thing.

• Options
    I wanted a vasectomy but my wife, while agreeing that we don't want more kids, also didn't want to make that decision final. Maybe in the future, I bring it up now and then.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Grobian wrote: »
    I wanted a vasectomy but my wife, while agreeing that we don't want more kids, also didn't want to make that decision final. Maybe in the future, I bring it up now and then.

If you ever want to do it yourself, you've apparently got the pliers already.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    I've heard of a guy who gave himself an appendectomy before, but I don't think even he would risk doing a vasectomy to himself... D:

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Just grab a pair of scissors and go to town, nbd

Either way you’re probably gonna be sterile afterward

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Peen wrote: »
    To agree with Preacher's general statement, I find guys who won't get vasectomies but expect their wives to remain on birth control indefinitely unacceptable. I don't know about anyone's specific situation and there may be extenuating circumstances, but if there aren't then just do the thing.

Yep. I had some stuff I had to think about in terms of taking myself out of the pool, but the op itself is simple, quick and largely painless. Well worth it compared to the trials women deal with on birth control.

• Options
    KakodaimonosKakodaimonos Code fondler Helping the 1% get richerRegistered User regular
    Moriveth wrote: »
    Just grab a pair of scissors and go to town, nbd

Either way you’re probably gonna be sterile afterward

Or just get an emasculatome from Fleet Farm.

• Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Eh, he offered if the IUD ended up being as uncomfortable as the last time. But I'm not going to push it unless it comes to that. He's normally the most giving and selfless person, so I give him a pass for now.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Eh, there may have been a small flareup two weeks out from the procedure, but that was mostly just some extra discomfort and handled with rest and ibuprofen. Then, two weeks after that, it hit again but hit hard and had lots of swelling and whatnot. It should not have been the size of a lemon.

Seriously, thank you for sharing this. As I was reading this, I was starting to get ready to go to the gym. I felt pretty good all weekend and thought, “fuck it”. I started lifting again a month ago and wanted to get back at it.

Yes, I’m really dumb for wanting to lift in the first place, but reading your experience brought my dumb ass back to reality.

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My wife's on an IUD, but access to decent modern IUDs is so much easier outside of the US and the ridiculous FDA standards there (as I understand it).

Neither of us are ever likely to want more children, barring some sort of dramatic upheaval in our lives, but it's not a big deal to defer closing off our options for a few more years.

Fishman on
    X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    edited March 2018
    My wife is on an IUD but since putting one in after our second child it has been messing with her hormones and mood, and may be contributing to her depression. I'm researching vasectomy.

This thread has not dissuaded me but.... hoo boy. Things can happen, huh

plufim on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    ProlegomenaProlegomena Frictionless Spinning The VoidRegistered User regular
    Having already had inflammation/infection in the epididymis on two occasions, once so bad I basically couldn't move or do anything, I'm not super keen to invite anyone to go snipping about in the area.

On the other hand "hang on, I'll get the thingy. Oh shit they've fallen down the back of the bed. Again." gets a bit old.

• Options

Seriously, thank you for sharing this. As I was reading this, I was starting to get ready to go to the gym. I felt pretty good all weekend and thought, “fuck it”. I started lifting again a month ago and wanted to get back at it.

Yes, I’m really dumb for wanting to lift in the first place, but reading your experience brought my dumb ass back to reality.

Haha, glad to help.

I'd give it a week or two from the procedure just to be safe. I don't recall actually doing anything that I wasn't supposed to (took the two weeks off soccer, etc.), but who knows. If you do start to get discomfort and feeling like you've been kicked in the nuts out of nowhere (and the discomfort grows into pain), and especially if you notice swelling, go get checked out right away and hopefully you can head it off at the pass.

• Options
    Banzai5150Banzai5150 Registered User regular
    I had offered to get a vasectomy and even went for the consult, but The wife opted for tubal ligation after much consulting with the doctor. She had a history of cysts and had a mass during her pregnancy.

50433.png?1708759015
  • Options
    ceresceres When the last moon is cast over the last star of morning And the future has past without even a last desperate warningRegistered User, Moderator mod
    My husband has offered and I'm like "hell yes let's do that" because hormonal bc is more or less not really an option for me but I think another pregnancy would literally kill me. And then we just don't get around to it. Plus I think we'd have to tape it to the ceiling or there would be no space for it here.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited March 2018
    My wife and I knew that if we didn't make it permanent we'd be pregnant again by now. Near the end of the pregnancy we arranged that if she needed another C-section, they'd tie her tubes during the same operation, but otherwise I'd go get snipped a couple months later. During both labors, her blood pressure crashed and she ended up in a C-section, so that ended up happening, but personally I couldn't ask her to go through a surgery right after going through childbirth. And that's only 50% because I think she'd hit me if I did.
    ceres wrote: »
    My husband has offered and I'm like "hell yes let's do that" because hormonal bc is more or less not really an option for me but I think another pregnancy would literally kill me. And then we just don't get around to it. Plus I think we'd have to tape it to the ceiling or there would be no space for it here.

I... uh... I thought you were talking about a vasectomy?

Hevach on
  • Options
    Wow... that was really incoherent.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    ceres wrote: »
    Wow... that was really incoherent.

I understood!

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    When Mori gets his vasectomy I promise to give him as much rest, recovery & help with the kids as he gave me after the kids’ births. :)

• Options
    I know you're probably being genuine but that just screams that it's about to be followed by a grave irony.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    While this thread is about kids and parenting, I just need to brag that I have the whole house to myself until Sunday!!!!! I came home last from work, sat in my recliner, and guess what I heard? Not a damn thing! Silence. Sweet sounds of nothing. It was glorious. No fighting over who didn't want to eat what for dinner was a nice change of pace too. And I got to play Breath of the Wild with my surround sound as loud as I wanted without anyone complaining.

When I went to sleep I didn't get woken up at 0200 by a tiny toddler kneeing me in the face as he climbs into bed with us. Then, then when I woke up to get ready for work, I played The Offspring as loud as I wanted to get me pumped up for the day.

The novelty will no doubt wear off by Friday, but for now I shall treasure. These. Moments. As if they were my last.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    Capt Howdy wrote: »
    While this thread is about kids and parenting, I just need to brag that I have the whole house to myself until Sunday!!!!! I came home last from work, sat in my recliner, and guess what I heard? Not a damn thing! Silence. Sweet sounds of nothing. It was glorious. No fighting over who didn't want to eat what for dinner was a nice change of pace too. And I got to play Breath of the Wild with my surround sound as loud as I wanted without anyone complaining.

When I went to sleep I didn't get woken up at 0200 by a tiny toddler kneeing me in the face as he climbs into bed with us. Then, then when I woke up to get ready for work, I played The Offspring as loud as I wanted to get me pumped up for the day.

The novelty will no doubt wear off by Friday, but for now I shall treasure. These. Moments. As if they were my last.

Your description of your normal night reminds me how ticked off I get by non-parents complaining to me how tired they are.

"You poor dear! You only got 7 hours of uninterrupted sleep last night! You must be absolutely exhausted!"

It's a delicate balance to let only the proper amount of sarcasm show, without going over the line into outright mocking, which would be unprofessional but FEEL SO GOOD.

• Options
    Dr. Phibbs McAtheyDr. Phibbs McAthey Registered User regular
    Speaking as someone who wants a vasectomy and plans on getting one as soon as we are back on insurance and can afford to plunk down the cash, (small gap since my wife got a job at another hospital), it's still somewhat terrifying voluntarily damaging a perfectly functioning part of my body, even though we are both certain we no longer will be needing its services. I can sympathize with anyone who would be uncomfortable with it.

This discussion has been closed.