As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Ranlin wrote: »
    If that's a daycare business and not a friend or something doing it for you, then there shouldn't be a dog around that reacts like that. Children, particularly small children, will too often at some point get too rough.

ANY dog is going to react like that when cornered, no matter how mild mannered it normally is. That said, ANY dog should also be kept put away if you're running a daycare.

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Shadowfire wrote: »
    Jaina got bit in the face by a dog yesterday at daycare. It's the owner's dog, but I'm super conflicted. I mean, the fault is definitely with Jaina on this. The whole reason the dog bit her is because she ran up behind the dog and shoved it hard with both hands. The dog panicked and defended itself. As soon as she wasn't a threat it disengaged.

But then... Maybe the dog shouldn't be around if it's going to bite her face. I don't think the dog needs to be put down or anything crazy, but it probably should be kept inside when pickup and dropoff is happening? Ugh...

There shouldn't be a dog in this setting. It sounds like it's a childminder so a person doing childcare from their home? In the UK I'm pretty sure they have to prove the dog is kept in a part of the house the kids don't have access to for the majority of the time and interaction has to be carefully supervised. Which boils down to childminders effectively not being able to keep dogs

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    At our place they had multiple screens so the woman and the partner could both easily see. Our person was a pro too, very nice, warmed the gel and rattled through the required stuff in a very short time. The tech is amazing, so watching is awesome.

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Need to complain about my six week old.

Little shit cries and fusses for his bottle all night, but barely eats. He gums on the nipple swallowing air for hours. He took 8 ounces around 11, because he was actually hungry after sleeping a while, but since then has had less than 1 but just got his ninth burp. And I mean man sized belches that wake my wife up because he's swallowing gallons of air here.

Pacifier you say? He knows when I'm holding out on him, the second he gums on it and doesn't get a tiny taste he spits it out and starts screaming.

I wish he was more like our first son. He was up all night, too, but I could put him in his rocker and put something musical and colorful on TV (more for me than him) and he'd let me know when he was actually hungry, at which point he'd take the whole thing in one go and then go to sleep for 2-3 hours.

This one wants to cuddle all the time and even if he's not hungry he... I guess just wants to know he has the option to eat if he decides to? Gets incredibly exhausting, even by newborn standards of exhaustion.

Edit: and now the 19 month old is up, wandering the living room pointing to stuff saying, "Whats that?"

He's also taken to pointing at himself and saying, "Tony!" Which is the baby's name. "No, buddy, you're Sam. Baby is Tony." "Tooooooo-ny!"

Hevach on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    That sounds like a friend's baby. They ended up doing the forbidden cosleeping so she could just roll about and find herself a boob at night. The mum found it very weird that she would wake up to find herself breast feeding occasionally.

It remains incredible to me that babies are so terrible at eating. How have we survived as a species?

• Options
    GrobianGrobian What's on sale? Pliers!Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    That sounds like a friend's baby. They ended up doing the forbidden cosleeping so she could just roll about and find herself a boob at night. The mum found it very weird that she would wake up to find herself breast feeding occasionally.

It remains incredible to me that babies are so terrible at eating. How have we survived as a species?

You have the answer to that in your very post. Babies (and kids) were cosleeping for a long time.

• Options
    Grobian wrote: »

You have the answer to that in your very post. Babies (and kids) were cosleeping for a long time.

My rhetorical question was more general than how did babies eat at night :)

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    Evolution doesn't create broken species without some kind of plan B in place. For humans, plan B was making the baby's too cute to eat and making parents invest their entire sense of self in their offspring. So, even through sleep deprivation and stress positions and terror birds and shit coming after them, somehow we find it in ourselves to keep OH MY FUCK THIS KID WILL NOT STOP AND LET ME POST THIS

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    We co-slept with Mallory til she was a year, and we're doing the same with Jack now. It's easier, less stressful, and less exhausting.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I think we co-slept with Abigail for 3 months, then did 3 more months with her in the crib in our room before moving her into her own room. Worked out pretty well.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Can... can you attach a heartbeat monitor to a baby with a shrill alarm? I'd be terrified of SIDS. Maybe that fear wains when you're worried about dying of exhaustion.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    It's a boy!

We were both really hoping for a girl but fully expecting a boy so that's fine. My dumb genes basically made it inevitable (I am the youngest of three brothers and no sisters, with a total of four nephews and no nieces).

Also apparently the detail scan found a "spot" on the Bean's heart, which is what the technician was concentrating and working hard on imaging. But it went to the radiologist and our OB, both of which said they weren't worried about it at all considering the only things it could probably be would have shown up in my wife's blood tests and they've all been 100% clear.

• Options
    I got no sleep the first two nights for fear of SIDS. Part of the reason she slept in our room/bed for ~6 months. What's worse is that she enjoyed sleeping face-down occasionally. Shit was stressful, but the fears ease up over time, especially with a solid wrap around her.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    You just gotta remember only 2,500 babies die per year from SIDS. That's like .1% of all babies.

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    SyphonBlue wrote: »
    You just gotta remember only 2,500 babies die per year from SIDS. That's like .1% of all babies.

I mean, we already were in one. Jaina's heart condition is something absurd like .001% of live births. On top of that, she was one of the like 2% that weren't detected before birth.

So sure, the chance for SIDS was tiny, but we weren't playing around.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    I was reciting words to my daughter on our walk home. When I said danger, this happened...

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=64zylauy7Q8

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    She gets it from Kieri

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    El SkidEl Skid The frozen white northRegistered User regular
    We actually had a shrill alarm hooked up tho a... strip underneath the baby's crib sheet? It went off fairly often (I want to say every couple days), and was a bit of a panic-inducer for what ended up never being an issue with the baby.

On the other hand it let my wife sleep a little better at night (there was a lot of anxiety there about sleeping and health in general), so it was probably worth it overall.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    My youngest son has learned to crawl!

... 6 months after he learned to walk.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular
    Hevach wrote: »
    Need to complain about my six week old.

Little shit cries and fusses for his bottle all night, but barely eats. He gums on the nipple swallowing air for hours. He took 8 ounces around 11, because he was actually hungry after sleeping a while, but since then has had less than 1 but just got his ninth burp. And I mean man sized belches that wake my wife up because he's swallowing gallons of air here.

Pacifier you say? He knows when I'm holding out on him, the second he gums on it and doesn't get a tiny taste he spits it out and starts screaming.

I wish he was more like our first son. He was up all night, too, but I could put him in his rocker and put something musical and colorful on TV (more for me than him) and he'd let me know when he was actually hungry, at which point he'd take the whole thing in one go and then go to sleep for 2-3 hours.

This one wants to cuddle all the time and even if he's not hungry he... I guess just wants to know he has the option to eat if he decides to? Gets incredibly exhausting, even by newborn standards of exhaustion.

Edit: and now the 19 month old is up, wandering the living room pointing to stuff saying, "Whats that?"

He's also taken to pointing at himself and saying, "Tony!" Which is the baby's name. "No, buddy, you're Sam. Baby is Tony." "Tooooooo-ny!"

Your 6 week old ate 8 ounces? Is he a giant?

That seems like a ton of milk for a 6 week old to eat in one go.

My 8 month old eats like 5 max. And my buddies 5 month old who is a huge baby maxes out at like 6 or 7.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    JebusUDJebusUD Adventure! Candy IslandRegistered User regular

My guy didn't eat right for about 6 weeks. Had to do the shield and he kept detaching and the shield would fall off. And he's get pissed and cry and it was just awful. It gets better though now he eats a whole bottle in about 2 minutes.

Guy still waste every 2 and a half hours though.

and I wonder about my neighbors even though I don't have them
    but they're listening to every word I say
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    Testing for spots in gifted schools starts soon. I'm a little torn. My daughter is 3... But most schools you have to get in at kindergarten. And they're among the best in the country.
    Her neighborhood school is pretty good. And the school she's in Pre-K for, and could do elementary school with, is pretty neat.
    I guess I'll have her try, but not prep or worry too much about it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    The wife and I have decided to give potty training a shot. Abigail is 22.5 months and has shown some minor interest. Figured it couldn't hurt to try at the very least.

I ordered a potty chair and some training pants. Gonna use jelly beans as a reward (she loves them). Any other protips, advice, purchase, etc?

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Fishman wrote: »
    My youngest son has learned to crawl!

... 6 months after he learned to walk.

Well it's like they say, you gotta walk before you can crawl.

• Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    There are days when I really wish I actually had the confidence in my parenting decisions that I pretend to have when others ask me.

Or that I was better at not feeling inferior to other moms. Oh. You stayed at home and raised three daughters, including a pair of twins, until school age? How wonderful for you. Please stop asking me about my decision to send by daughter to Daycare and go back to work. I need the time for myself.

Like, I know she wasn't judging me. But Street explaining that I don't do well with groups of strangers and being adventurous and things, I really wish she would have stopped asking me about why I didn't join any coffee groups, or have play dates, or what I used as my support network. I knew she's just curious and trying to figure it out, but, I wish it felt less like being judged.

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    The wife and I have decided to give potty training a shot. Abigail is 22.5 months and has shown some minor interest. Figured it couldn't hurt to try at the very least.

I ordered a potty chair and some training pants. Gonna use jelly beans as a reward (she loves them). Any other protips, advice, purchase, etc?

Lots of praise for even minor accomplishments.

Our daughter is 25 months and goes #1 on the potty during the day, but needs help undressing/dressing. #2 and anything night time goes on diaper.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MegaMan001MegaMan001 CRNA Rochester, MNRegistered User regular
    So, due date is February 11th.

Give me your list of shit that was a life saver and tell me what I can skip.

I am in the business of saving lives.
  • Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

The main tip is don't call him or her Joffrey

• Options
    MegaMan001 wrote: »

Diaper Genie, refill bags, swaddles, pack-n-play, white music generator (or app), wipes (never enough), boppie pillow, extra boppie cover, a comfy chair for mom (rocking style helps).

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I hated the Diaper Genie so YMMV

• Options
    ShadowfireShadowfire Vermont, in the middle of nowhereRegistered User regular
    We've had the diaper genie since Jaina was born and love it. Just don't forget to change the charcoal filter after every couple bag replacements or the smell will still be a thing.

WiiU: Windrunner ; Guild Wars 2: Shadowfire.3940 ; PSN: Bradcopter
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Diaper Genies are the light and the way.

So are vibrating bassinets. Unbelievably good for getting cranky babies to fall asleep.

• Options
    Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    I don't know. I hated changing the bags and it's just easier to throw them away in the garbage I thought.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    The Diaper Genie is kind of a pain in the ass. Just have a basket aside somewhere with a regular bag in it and take it out frequently. Done. It creates more problems than it solves.

Don't forget pacifiers, and don't underestimate the power of routine. If you give a baby a pacifier and specific stuffed animal every time you put them to sleep (not infants mind you) they will get the picture and start getting those things on their own when they want to sleep or nap.

• Options
    What is a diaper genie? We just throw nappies in a small bin beside the changing matt. If there's been a terrible poo then we empty it immediately.

I can't imagine a more straight forward system.

• Options
    HenroidHenroid Mexican kicked from Immigration Thread Centrism is Racism :3Registered User regular
    What is a diaper genie? We just throw nappies in a small bin beside the changing matt. If there's been a terrible poo then we empty it immediately.

I can't imagine a more straight forward system.
    It's a very-fancy plastic waste basket, literally.

• Options
    I don't think we could live without the diaper genie

LxX6eco.jpg
  • Options
    OK, there might be disagreements on the Diaper Genie, but on the Boppie Pillow there is consensus.

Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Boppy is fantastic though... My wife liked the My Breast Friend Pillow more.

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    I prefer ubie (?) Pail to the genie. It's mostly stainless and uses cheaper bags with more capacity. No stink issues for us.
    Potty training- we used the oh crap book for 1 and it worked pretty well (ignore the insane parts)

This discussion has been closed.