Options

Where there's [Kids and Parenting] there's five opinions

• Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
    Anyone ever bought a carseat second hand?

Alternate question: if you had a nanny did you get them a carseat to keep in their car, or just swap it out from your car to theirs as needed...

Siglet is 98% height and has outgrown her infant seat /cry

• Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    plufim wrote: »
    Well... Toys R Us Australia is on a closing down sale. I'll be taking the boys today, possibly getting C his first pedal bike, and he'll get some Imaginarium trains (he saved $62!). Sucks to lose it, Australia has so few specialty toy stores. Toyworld is about it. Department stores all have their own cheap garbage and little else.

Is there a Big W near you? They're going hard after the market TRU just vacated. And of course Myers always have their toy sections, but they don't discount their stock anywhere near as much as Big W.

• Options
    JansonJanson Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Alternate question: if you had a nanny did you get them a carseat to keep in their car, or just swap it out from your car to theirs as needed...

Not second hand; I might buy second hand only from a trusted friend/family member.

However... past infant seats there’s quite a few budget options (like the Cosco Scenera) that would be my choice for a nanny’s car. Much less hassle than constantly transferring a seat!

• Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Big W isn't bad but they'll never have the same variety nor will they stock the higher quality brands

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Donovan PuppyfuckerDonovan Puppyfucker A dagger in the dark is worth a thousand swords in the morningRegistered User regular
    No, the won't stock as wide a range as a giant store dedicated just to toys, Toyworld will be the go-to for that. I'm not sure what you mean about "higher quality brands", Big W doesn't stock any knock-off stuff from what I've seen, all primary brands like Lego, Nerf, Mattel, Hot Wheels, that kind of thing.

• Options
    Capt HowdyCapt Howdy Registered User regular
    So It Goes wrote: »

Negative. Wifey flat out said hell no. There is no way to know if the seat had been involved in an accident, dropped too hard, or had anything goofy done to it.

On a related note, Graco replaced our car seat for free after my wife's car accident.

Steam: kaylesolo1
    3DS: 1521-4165-5907
    PS3: KayleSolo
    Live: Kayle Solo
    WiiU: KayleSolo
  • Options
    #pipe#pipe Cocky Stride, Musky odours Pope of Chili TownRegistered User regular
    I think it's totally fine to buy a used car seat off someone you know. But I'm known to be pretty chill about these things.

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    Based on the recommendations of somebody earlier in this thread, I just ordered one of the Graco 4Ever seats. It hasn’t arrived yet, but I mention it because Target has one color that is WAY more on sale than the other colors... like $225 where Amazon usually has a low of 280.

https://www.target.com/p/graco-4ever-extend2fit-4-in-1-car-seat-hyde/-/A-75455166

And the day after ordering that one of my coworkers also mentioned the same Costco one that @Janson mentioned. I think we’ll stick with the Graco for our main car (we’ve only ever had 1 car seat between both cars so far) but if we decide to get another I think that Costco will be a contender.

Perrsun on
  • Options
    So It GoesSo It Goes We keep moving...Registered User regular
  • Options
    I love Graco! We had the 4 in 1 before Niko puked in it and I accidentally made it unsafe by hosing it down (I thought since I was using plain water it’d be okay). But I replaced it with another Graco since they’re the only brand to fit so nicely in my tiny car.

• Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    Here is our 3yr olds custom Elsa dress her mommy made for her birthday today.

• Options
    Aaaaaand she is now taking a random tantrum and ruined her hair and the dress

• Options
    My dad spent over $100 on my son for his birthday, daughter got a $10 off brand doll from Walmart.

I am struggling not to be very angry in front of the kids

• Options
    TaramoorTaramoor Storyteller Registered User regular
    Why do toddlers feel compelled to wrap things around their neck?

• Options
    schussschuss Registered User regular
    Taramoor wrote: »
    Why do toddlers feel compelled to wrap things around their neck?

Because they're suicide machines.

• Options
    My youngest yelled out that he doesn't want me playing as Ganondorf in Hyrule Warriors because "He is the bad guy, daddy!".

Yes, the same child wearing the Jason mask in the picture above.

Kids. Are. Freaking. Weird.

• Options
    bsjezzbsjezz Registered User regular
    well i'd hope that your young child isn't fully acquainted with the chronicle of camp crystal lake...

sC4Q4nq.jpg
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    bsjezz wrote: »
    well i'd hope that your young child isn't fully acquainted with the chronicle of camp crystal lake...

If there is any thread I would pray to never crush hope in, it is this one. But sadly I must be Vishnu in this moment.

I did not indeed for him to watch F13th. He woke up at midnight while I was watching part VI and he managed to sneak in unnoticed for a bit. When I finally saw him my dad brain said "he'll get scared and go crawl in bed with mom". Dad brain was wrong. He sat his butt down during the scene when Jason is standing over the little girl and doesnt hurt her. Boom, Jason is a good guy, and I'm the bad guy if I turn it off. So we finished watching it together.

As for the other movies, that little shit knows how to watch movies on YouTube, cable, apps on a tablet, apps on a phone, and on fucking disc. Wifey and I have both woken up to find him watching Friday the 13th everything at various moments throughout the last year. He even managed to grab my hardcover edition of Crystal Lake Memories, which weighs a damned ton and is kept up on the highest book shelf, and was reading most the words out loud.

In no way did I intend for any of this happen. That said, thank God someone else in this house enjoys horror. I thought I'd be stuck watching horror movies alone late at night by myself until the day my oldest moves out and my wife dies.

Capt Howdy on
  • Options
    PreacherPreacher Registered User regular
    My dad spent over $100 on my son for his birthday, daughter got a $10 off brand doll from Walmart.

I am struggling not to be very angry in front of the kids

This kind of favoritism between my wife's sister and our son (with our son getting the shortest of the short sticks about it) is one of the reasons we divorced their family. Dunno how reasonable that is for you.

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Bleh. Both the kids and the wife have a violent stomach bug. So. Much. Laundry.

And of course I’ll probably pick it up myself late tonight or tomorrow

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    Ha watched my son specifically step on a toy so he could get mommy cuddles. I don't even know why? Like we hug him all he wants, but he's like ran up and full on steps on one of his action figures "oww my foot mommy hug".

I would like some money because these are artisanal nuggets of wisdom philistine.

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    How do you even pass over a little kid over another family member?!
    Preacher wrote: »
    Ha watched my son specifically step on a toy so he could get mommy cuddles. I don't even know why? Like we hug him all he wants, but he's like ran up and full on steps on one of his action figures "oww my foot mommy hug".

Haha, maybe he’s starting to grow shy about directly asking for cuddles?

I had grand plans to get up early today and head into the mountains as it’s going to be hot. (A coworker warned me that trying to get in to the national park after, say, 9-10 takes an hour longer). Of course I didn’t manage that, largely thanks to the kids’ sleeping habits.

2 am and Niko is in our bed and suddenly starts bawling.

Mori: Niko! What’s wrong? Did something scare you?
    Me: Do you need to go potty?
    Niko, tearfully: I left my fire-breathing Tyrannosaurus in my bed!

He went and fetched it and fell asleep clutching it.

• Options
    So my wife saw they have shark week plushies at build a bear. So who guess who is making a trip to build a bear with a little monkey in tow later today!

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    edited July 2018
    So for anyone who saw the cute as hell shark week build a bear plushies. They are running out, like hammerhead is just out, and while we were at the mall the great white was low. So uhh if you want one might want to try online.

Also Shay our check out lady was so nice she gave my son the pay your age discount even though we were not at all there for that on a sunday. I'm guessing Build a Bear is really trying to walk off that pr snaffu.

Preacher on

pleasepaypreacher.net
  • Options
    We're still in Australia. Got all packed up and ready to fly back to Canada and booked a bassinet seat on the flight and got a good night's sleep and prepped everything for a 13 hour flight and got to the airport early in the morning and checked in

And realized we were supposed to fly yesterday

So 1,500 bucks worth of flight rescheduling later we're now flying home tomorrow and my mum is stoked because she gets to spend another day with her grandson.

• Options
    mosssnackmosssnack Yeah right, man, Bishop should go! Good idea!Registered User regular
    Happy for your mom and all but man, I can only imagine how stressful that part of your day was. Good luck tomorrow for sure

XBL: mosssnack12
    bnet: moss*1454
  • Options
    SeptusSeptus Registered User regular
    Uh, this is where you wake up from the stress nightmare, right?

Yeesh, sorry man.

PSN: Kurahoshi1
  • Options
    DisruptedCapitalistDisruptedCapitalist I swear! Registered User regular
    I'm visiting my sister in DC this weekend and after dinner, she whispered to my nephew, her eldest, "If you read a book to the little kids you and your cousin [my eldest] can have some D-E-S-S-E-R-T"

And my little 4-year-old niece comes running up all upset and says, "Momma I know what you were spelling! It's not fair!"

My sister and I make eye-contact, oh dear, she can already spell??

"Well, what do you think I said?"

"You promised they could watch T-V!!"

"Simple, real stupidity beats artificial intelligence every time." -Mustrum Ridcully in Terry Pratchett's Hogfather p. 142 (HarperPrism 1996)
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular
    My four year old can't quite read yet. But she has memorized entire books. And she knows certain words because she's memorized that, say, "p-i-z-z-a" spells pizza. Getting close to reading, but she thinks just memorizing everything is easier.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    I'm having a terrible time coping with various aspects of life now that we have two children. I don't remember it being this hard with one (duh).

BlazeFire on
  • Options
    MusicDragonMusicDragon Registered User regular
    My tiny midget is now 2 years old :( I am not prepared for my baby to be growing up. It needs to stop.

Side note: Moms who were pregnant and had a toddler, how did you combat the constant exhaustion? I remember being chronically tired before but I could nap whenever I wanted then. Now, not so much and it is killing me.

• Options
    mosssnack wrote: »
    Happy for your mom and all but man, I can only imagine how stressful that part of your day was. Good luck tomorrow for sure

You know that phrase that someone's "heart sank"

Well my guts fell through the bottom of the floor

• Options
    SmrtnikSmrtnik job boli zub Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My tiny midget is now 2 years old :( I am not prepared for my baby to be growing up. It needs to stop.

Side note: Moms who were pregnant and had a toddler, how did you combat the constant exhaustion? I remember being chronically tired before but I could nap whenever I wanted then. Now, not so much and it is killing me.

My wife is 4.5 months pregnant and we have an about to turn 3yo. She's pretty much in constant pain and still a while to go. The worst party is the toddler keeps asking her to do trivial things and tries a fit of i do said things. I.e. "i want water" i bring her water "i want MOMMA to bring me water!" followed by a tantrum.

Smrtnik on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    MulysaSemproniusMulysaSempronius but also susie nyRegistered User regular

I was so tired with number two... In my last trimester, I usually napped on the couch as soon as my husband got home from work, woke up for dinner that he often prepared, then went to bed.
    I don't know how anybody else does it.

If that's all there is my friends, then let's keep dancing
  • Options
    plufimplufim Dr Registered User regular
    edited July 2018
    My son wanted me to draw a Guardian
    from Zelda for him. He loves them for some reason, yet gets tense when he watches us play Zelda.

So I drew this:
    xggflixeb9yu.jpg

"NO Dad, a real Guardian! A big one!"

ohbrpu5kb1wq.jpg

"Much better!"

Should I be concerned that C's favourite character from Zelda is a merciless killing machine?

plufim on
    3DS 0302-0029-3193 NNID plufim steam plufim PSN plufim
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    lonelyahavalonelyahava Call me Ahava ~~She/Her~~ Move to New ZealandRegistered User regular
    Baby changing table is gone!

in it's place is a garmetn rack with hooks on it for her dress up clothes, and a 'shoe rack' with those collapsible boxes on it for her night clothes, and her towels.

Bed has been shifted around and the toy box that had been holding her dress up clothes in it now has her stuffed animals. Or at least most of them.

And I can still fit the rocking chair in and her large bookcase

And she can still get light.

• Options
    edited July 2018
    I love those drawings, @plufim ! Lucky kid!

Honestly... sheer willpower and stubbornness. I was working three jobs at one point when pregnant with Niko, too.

That and wrecked health! Whee.

Edit: I would’ve killed for a single nap when pregnant. I’ll probably still be bitter about it in ten years’ time. :p

Janson on
  • Options
    https://youtu.be/9ydiTHhY6DE
    I'm very pleased with the comedic timing of this video

• Options
    HevachHevach Registered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I'm having a terrible time coping with various aspects of life now that we have two children. I don't remember it being this hard with one (duh).

With one child, parents can tag team. Kids always got one parent attending his needs, other is free for everything else.

With two, that no longer works, if one parent is cooking or cleaning or at work, the other is outnumbered. Even simpl household tasks are an exercise in contained chaos.

• Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    My children are psychological terrorists that have no respect for sleep. I type this while my monstrously evil adorable daughter has me up at 5:30am. Grandma should arrive by 8am, which should be just in time for the boy to wake up and demand all my time. With any luck there will be a nap in my future today...

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
This discussion has been closed.