As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAMY SUMMER

• Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I need some suggestions of action games to get someone used to using an 360 Controller (really a controller at all) for the first time ever.

Darksiders and Rocketleague are both games that aren't too crazy hard and rewards controller gameplay.

I would have suggested Dark Souls, but it requires a certain mindset to enjoy "YOU DIED".

Absolutely no to Dark Souls and Rocket League. Way way too hard. Probably no to Darksiders. If you have to control a camera as well it probably will go over very poorly. The only game he's ever played is Civ V.

• Options
    BionicPenguinBionicPenguin Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Left 4 Dead 3
    I need some suggestions of action games to get someone used to using an 360 Controller (really a controller at all) for the first time ever.

Darksiders and Rocketleague are both games that aren't too crazy hard and rewards controller gameplay.

I would have suggested Dark Souls, but it requires a certain mindset to enjoy "YOU DIED".

Absolutely no to Dark Souls and Rocket League. Way way too hard. Probably no to Darksiders. If you have to control a camera as well it probably will go over very poorly. The only game he's ever played is Civ V.

How about a racing game? You don't typically need to manipulate the camera much beyond looking behind you, which is usually a button press.

Edit: I apparently can't read. I didn't notice until just now that you asked for an action game.

BionicPenguin on
  • Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular
    A Dragon Age game? Something like Inquisition is action-y, but you can also pause at any point if it gets overwhelming.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Portal 3

Dead Cells or another platformer. Rogue Legacy?

• Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Wow is "our game based on a movie from almost 20 years ago that got turned into an American megafranchise has been RIPPED OFF" not a great leg to stand on

wuh? PUBG is based on a movie?

d1fdmum.jpg

• Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    I'd recommend a good twin-stick shooter. It'll introduce the mechanics of a controller in a genre that honestly kind of sucks on KBAM. Helldivers would be fun if you're available to co-op with him, and Binding of Isaac: Rebirth is one of the best single-player experiences in the genre, if you think he'll like the aesthetic. Otherwise, look over the Giant Bomb list to see if you can find something he'd like.

Oh, and I haven't played it, but Rebel Galaxy is a slower-paced top-down 2D space sim that is supposed to be much better on a gamepad.

Jedoc on
    GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Rebel Galaxy isn't really top down, it's almost like third person over the shoulder except it's a ship, if that makes any sense

• Options
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Thanks for all the suggestion but I think all of these are still way too hard (except the racing game that's a great idea I just don;t own any).

I'm hoping for something like Kirby or Mario Bros; the only problem with those is all the buttons are different and switching to the 360 afterwards might be frustrating.

Twin stick shooter is actually a good idea too. He loves Isaac but I think that's a bit too hard right now too. I'll look into others of that, thanks!

• Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3

Maybe a good 2d action adventure game, like Aquaria or Cave Story or Steamworld Dig or Bastion or that super adorable A Boy and His Blob remake. Or even that pretty good Zelda knockoff, Oceanhorn.

Something chill like Gone Home or Stanley Parable where nothing fast is needed but you could easily navigate with a controller, don't know how "used to" a 360 controller he needs to get.

I think something like God of War would be perfect since the right stick is just used to dodge but well, not on PC. There was this ok GoW-like that came out a couple years ago called Marlow Briggs. It's got kind of a fun blaxploitation/Big Trouble in Little China vibe. And I THINK that the right stick is just to dodge, no camera control.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Aside from the core concept of " a bunch of people try to kill each other in a contest", which is far too vague of a concept to get "ripped off", PUBG has basically nothing to do with battle royale. It isn't school kids. They aren't wearing collars. They aren't (apparently) doing it against their will. They aren't assigned weapons. The idea of an actual "battle royale" where a bunch of people try and kill each other in a place has existed since the Colosseum, it wasn't invented by that movie.

• Options
    BlankZoeBlankZoe Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »
    Aside from the core concept of " a bunch of people try to kill each other in a contest", which is far too vague of a concept to get "ripped off", PUBG has basically nothing to do with battle royale. It isn't school kids. They aren't wearing collars. They aren't (apparently) doing it against their will. They aren't assigned weapons. The idea of an actual "battle royale" where a bunch of people try and kill each other in a place has existed since the Colosseum, it wasn't invented by that movie.
    There's enough of an influence that the first DLC costumes they announced were unofficial Battle Royale school uniforms, at least

CYpGAPn.png
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

PUBG did add some cosmetic drops they said were inspired by BR, but yeah, most of the ideas in BR or PUBG aren't particularly novel.

One of the many reasons I think PUBG getting mad at fortnite is silly.

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Portal 3

Maybe a good 2d action adventure game, like Aquaria or Cave Story or Steamworld Dig or Bastion or that super adorable A Boy and His Blob remake. Or even that pretty good Zelda knockoff, Oceanhorn.

Something chill like Gone Home or Stanley Parable where nothing fast is needed but you could easily navigate with a controller, don't know how "used to" a 360 controller he needs to get.

I think something like God of War would be perfect since the right stick is just used to dodge but well, not on PC. There was this ok GoW-like that came out a couple years ago called Marlow Briggs. It's got kind of a fun blaxploitation/Big Trouble in Little China vibe. And I THINK that the right stick is just to dodge, no camera control.

Aquaria's a really good suggestion. Very gentle difficulty ramp there.

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »

PUBG did add some cosmetic drops they said were inspired by BR, but yeah, most of the ideas in BR or PUBG aren't particularly novel.

I think what they're mad at is Fortnite promoting their game with "it's like PUBG!"

• Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular

I think what they're mad at is Fortnite promoting their game with "it's like PUBG!"

correct, and apparently they are business partners and did it without permission

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    Stardew Valley

The controls work well with a controller, but there are few timed input pres combos that need to happen, and the bits of combat that are in the game is quite simple.

It's generally a very forgiving game on the whole.

• Options
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Brolo wrote: »
    Stardew Valley

The controls work well with a controller, but there are few timed input pres combos that need to happen, and the bits of combat that are in the game is quite simple.

It's generally a very forgiving game on the whole.

Nah, the targetting in that with a controller is ass. Plus the initial fishing difficulty would drive him insane.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    You can turn on target highlighting, so you always know where you're going to hit.

The fishing game is literally just tapping one button, it can be frustrating but it's not challenging on a controller familiarity level.

• Options
    Virgil_Leads_YouVirgil_Leads_You Proud Father House GardenerRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    I never caught a fish in that whole game.
    :cry:

VayBJ4e.png
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    I do think there's some merit to Bluehole being upset because Epic Games licenses them the UE4 engine and Fortnight is a free-to-play game that is utterly unlike PUBG.

Like, if Epic had announced a totally new Battle Royale game, that would be different. But they're very much shoving a square peg into a round hole to try and capitalize on PUBG's popularity.

• Options
    PiptheFair wrote: »

correct, and apparently they are business partners and did it without permission

This shit happens all the time in partnerships and I'm surprised this went further than a pissy email.

• Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    has it gone farther than a pissy tweet though

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options

Eh, a pissy tweet is a lot further than a pissy email. That's going public.

• Options
    Half Life 3
    huh, apparently you're supposed to use "further" for metaphorical distance and "farther" for physical distance, I never realized that

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to passive-aggressively correct you, I didn't even notice.

• Options
    edited September 2017
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Brolo wrote: »
    You can turn on target highlighting, so you always know where you're going to hit.

The fishing game is literally just tapping one button, it can be frustrating but it's not challenging on a controller familiarity level.

the target highlighting went all over the place and it was really dim. the targetting is awful no matter what setting you're on

fishing starts off almost impossible and then gets crazy easier which is the exact opposite of the way things should work. I love the game but those are two HUGE flaws it has.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    Half Life 3
    Sorry, I wasn't trying to passive-aggressively correct you, I didn't even notice.

oh yeah I didn't take it that way I just suddenly noticed we were using different words and looked it up out of curiosity

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    DOTA 3

They put out a press release about it.

Speaking of PUBG and copying things, I'm surprised that they're seemingly getting away with the energy drink being a Red Bull can with the name changed.

• Options
    ShortyShorty touching the meat Intergalactic Cool CourtRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    I only know that because I saw Finding Forrester

• Options
    Mortal SkyMortal Sky queer punk hedge witchRegistered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Peewi wrote: »

They put out a press release about it.

Speaking of PUBG and copying things, I'm surprised that they're seemingly getting away with the energy drink being a Red Bull can with the name changed.

I hadn't looked up the model until just now but yeah that design is very very close huh

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    huh, apparently you're supposed to use "further" for metaphorical distance and "farther" for physical distance, I never realized that

fuck really? I gotta file that away in my brain.

• Options
    Shorty wrote: »
    I only know that because I saw Finding Forrester

Yeah, same here. Pretty sure that movie is horrible.

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I can absolutely see why the pubg people would be pissed at what happened. They had to have expected copycats but using their name in the copy probably got under their skin enough to act.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    MrMonroeMrMonroe passed out on the floor nowRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    Knob wrote: »
    Red Dead Revolver had a weak plot and was desperately missing an open world.

The real prequel to Redemption was Gun.

Quick advisory for anyone who hasn't played Gun:

go play Gun

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Man this XCOM stuff is till pretty fun but I do not in any way understand doing an Ironman run, I am on mission 17 and at least four or five of those missions irreparably bugged out on me one way or another

• Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular
    Thanks for all the suggestion but I think all of these are still way too hard (except the racing game that's a great idea I just don;t own any).

I'm hoping for something like Kirby or Mario Bros; the only problem with those is all the buttons are different and switching to the 360 afterwards might be frustrating.

Twin stick shooter is actually a good idea too. He loves Isaac but I think that's a bit too hard right now too. I'll look into others of that, thanks!

Arkham Asylum.
    Start with only 3 buttons and thumbstick, other buttons are added as abilities are gained, on screen prompts for reminders. 95% of fights on easy can be beaten by spamming counter if needed. And you get to be Batman

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    No Great NameNo Great Name FRAUD DETECTED Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Hello Divinity OS 2 players, does the first person you encounter on the ship tell you anything of import, my girlfriend immediately went and stole the tome she was standing in front of triggering a persuasion, which failed, so we fought.

PSN: NoGreatName Steam:SirToons Twitch: SirToons
    sirtoons.png
  • Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    DOTA 3
    Oh my b

She just tells you about the collar

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

There's something really weird about the fishing in Stardew. For some people it clicks really easy, and while it starts out a little challenging and the legendary fish are really difficult, it's a fairly simple game for them. Others struggle with it every step of the way regardless of how big their bar is. It's seemingly random whether or not people get it, it's so fuckin bizarre.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    Lorahalo wrote: »

There's something really weird about the fishing in Stardew. For some people it clicks really easy, and while it starts out a little challenging and the legendary fish are really difficult, it's a fairly simple game for them. Others struggle with it every step of the way regardless of how big their bar is. It's seemingly random whether or not people get it, it's so fuckin bizarre.

It depends entirely on if they played Tony Hawk when they were kids, and learned the art of the grind

This discussion has been closed.