As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

STEAMY SUMMER

• Options
    NightDragonNightDragon 6th Grade Username Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    I got an email letting me know that one of my wishlist items was on sale (I'd completely forgotten about it) - Cities: Skylines, for when I'm craving something very tinker-y like my old fave, Roller Coaster Tycoon. It's only $7.49 right now, and was $30 before, so that was a no-brainer.

I also decided to buy Cuphead. I'm pretty positive I'll be completely awful at it, but I wanted to at least try it out...and beyond that, I REALLY want to support the creators, because it looks like such a beautiful and visually well-made game, and they just nailed the style...and, I think, took a creative risk that I really appreciate.

• Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I don't think I'll be very good at Cuphead, but the style is very much something I want to support.

• Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    I got an email letting me know that one of my wishlist items was on sale (I'd completely forgotten about it) - Cities: Skylines, for when I'm craving something very tinker-y like my old fave, Roller Coaster Tycoon. It's only $7.49 right now, and was $30 before, so that was a no-brainer.

I also decided to buy Cuphead. I'm pretty positive I'll be completely awful at it, but I wanted to at least try it out...and beyond that, I REALLY want to support the creators, because it looks like such a beautiful and visually well-made game, and they just nailed the style...and, I think, took a creative risk that I really appreciate.

Cities Skylines is very good

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    webguy20webguy20 I spend too much time on the Internet Registered User regular
    Portal 3
    I LOVE Cities:Skylines. It has a crazy vibrant modding scene. Look up Strictoaster or Fluxtrance on Youtube and see some of the stuff they make with mods. Its nuts.

Alright can someone help me out here? I have an itch to play the SIMS and god help me I need to use origin to do it. I see I can sign up for the monthly subscription for $5 and get access to the sims digital deluxe edition. Is the SIMS 4 fun without all the expansion packs?

Steam ID: Webguy20
    Origin ID: Discgolfer27
    Untappd ID: Discgolfer1981
  • Options
    MaddocMaddoc I'm Bobbin Threadbare, are you my mother? Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    Turns out I was wrong and Cuphead would have been better if it had just been all bosses

The run and gun levels are by far the weakest link

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    cursedking wrote: »
    man, the evil within 2 has maybe the dumbest story i have ever seen in a game, ever, and we live in a world with shadow of war in it.

Damn

I thought the original took itself somewhat seriously?

It’s fun, but the setup is hilarious. You’re in a vr environment and also ghosts are there, so someone made sure to program in and create art assets for ghosts and organs. Also your character gets spirit visions from his radio that is picking up radio frequencies in...a vr environment

It’s constantly funny

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    PiptheFairPiptheFair Frequently not in boats. Registered User regular
    Brolo wrote: »
    man, the evil within 2 has maybe the dumbest story i have ever seen in a game, ever, and we live in a world with shadow of war in it.

Damn

I thought the original took itself somewhat seriously?

It’s fun, but the setup is hilarious. You’re in a vr environment and also ghosts are there, so someone made sure to program in and create art assets for ghosts and organs. Also your character gets spirit visions from his radio that is picking up radio frequencies in...a vr environment

It’s constantly funny

it's not just VR though

like, I think the plot in 1 is terrible, and 2 is soso, but the setting is interesting and you are wildly misrepresenting what is happening

• Options
    SLyMSLyM Registered User regular
    Team Fortress 3
    okay so I started playing that literature club game because people kept talking about it.

I have some things to say
    I feel like I might be basically done or also no where close to it so read at your own risk I guess? I just went into the game files.
    The game starts off seeming like a very anime vn "pick a girl and date her" kind of thing, not that I ever play those no way not me I would never.

Then it starts seeming like a "pick a girl and fix her wide-reaching personal problems" kind of game, which kind bug me because the world doesn't work like that but at least they'll be more interesting characters to deal with.

Then it becomes 4th-wall breaking and I get kinda annoyed because I find it less interesting than if it just played it straight, then it starts doing things with it that I actually find very interesting.

Then it says are you actually "Timothy" when I put my name in as Tim, which is super weird because I always introduce myself as Timothy and I immedately was like why did I put Tim in after I pressed enter.

Also I figured out very quickly that you could go in and delete her but I kept reading to see how far it would go, I wonder if it does run out of dialogue eventually.

Now I just started up a game with only (presumably) the 3 girls and I kind of want to see what the story does here but I also want to move the character back into the game and see what happens then.

My friend is working on a roguelike game you can play if you want to. (It has free demo)
  • Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    webguy20 wrote: »
    I LOVE Cities:Skylines. It has a crazy vibrant modding scene. Look up Strictoaster or Fluxtrance on Youtube and see some of the stuff they make with mods. Its nuts.

Alright can someone help me out here? I have an itch to play the SIMS and god help me I need to use origin to do it. I see I can sign up for the monthly subscription for $5 and get access to the sims digital deluxe edition. Is the SIMS 4 fun without all the expansion packs?

Sims 4 is actually a decent game, as a base game. When it first came out there was much outcry at the fact there were no toddlers or pools. (While I was upset at no pools, toddlers were annoying in the previous games so I didn’t miss em.)

Happily, both were added in the game for free later on. EA occasionally updates and adds free outfits (They recently added Indian style clothes for Diwali), Designing sims and houses feel easier than before.

The emotional system takes a bit of getting used to, but on the whole, Sims 4 seems like a nice game to get, if it’s on sale. Lot less loading compared to the Sims 3 too.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Lar Lar Lar

That's really good to hear about Cities! Glad it's gotten the thumbs up from you and LuvTheMonkey.

So I found the Sims 4 to be pretty fun - as fun as the previous games for sure, but I got the game pretty shortly after release. It definitely felt like it needed more material, and that they had held back so you could eventually load up on expansion packs. If the deluxe edition comes with some extra content, I'd say go for it. It's been a long while since I bothered to start it up again (and start up Origin, ugh), but I remember enjoying the "goals" they set for the sim characters, so it wasn't a complete sandbox like the early Sims games. The house-building and interaction options definitely felt nice and expanded, too.

And in Cuphead news....I....I think I really love this game!? I've played 2 hours so far, and beaten three levels. They're the earliest levels, of course, but I've managed! The visuals and the music are so freakin' charming, I sometimes caught myself with a big dumb smile on my face while playing.

It is definitely hard. Having to pay attention to a bunch of different areas on the screen isn't something I thought I'd be good at (the last time I played a game like this must've been many many years ago), but I noticed that I definitely get into a groove with this game, and just loosely focus on an object and let my peripheral vision handle all the nonsense. Works pretty well!

All of the dying I've experienced were all faults of mine, which I heard another reviewer mention. I think that helps, a lot. I get super frustrated when a game backs me into a completely unwinnable/sure-death situation. Cuphead thus far has not done that at all. Each new run I learn a better mechanic or a faster mechanic. I also usually hate repeating things, but because the game changes up the order of attack patterns (though the patterns remain the same), it keeps the runs fresh each time. Some parts have been struggles, but when you can taste the victory on the very tip of your tongue but not yet savor the full bite, you feel compelled to return for another attempt.

Long story short: highly recommended. This is a beautiful game and a great challenge, and remains fun throughout.

NightDragon on
  • Options
    WiseManTobesWiseManTobes Registered User regular

If you are an old Rollercoaster Tycoon addict, do you know about Planet Coaster?

Steam! Battlenet:Wisemantobes#1508
  • Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

Fuck all the way off with this shit unless you are making a new one.

• Options
    SnicketysnickSnicketysnick The Greatest Hype Man in WesterosRegistered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3
    Yeah I saw that and thought the same thing. It's just mean

7qmGNt5.png
    D3 Steam #TeamTangent STO
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Left 4 Dead 3

All I've heard is no

• Options
    TaminTamin Registered User regular
    Half Life 3
    @SLyM Thanks for the coupon. Just came in.

• Options
    MuzzmuzzMuzzmuzz Registered User regular
    Oh, another interesting thing about Sims 4, they added gender modifiers, which allows your sims to wear clothes that fit whatever gender you want.

• Options
    Portal 3
    So I signed up for the Origins deal that lets you access their back catalog for $5 a month, so I'm trying out SIMS 4 that way. Another question though, I see they have a cities pack. Can you start your Sim in the city in an apartment then eventually move them out to the suburbs and make them a house? That sounds really cool in an americana sort of way.

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »
    Oh, another interesting thing about Sims 4, they added gender modifiers, which allows your sims to wear clothes that fit whatever gender you want.

They added incredibly granular gender options. Men can have babies, women can have beards... they pretty much made gender completely arbitrary and you can make whatever sims you want.

• Options
    Lar Lar Lar

If you are an old Rollercoaster Tycoon addict, do you know about Planet Coaster?

I do, but my die-hard nostalgia side isn't so sure about the 3D aspect. I kinda have a soft spot for the old school pixellated 2D graphics. :P Might be something I try out in the future if the price drops a bunch.

• Options
    captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar
    From the recent Humble Stardock Bundle, I have keys for Fallen Enchantress, Fallen Enchantress: Ultimate Edition and Sins of a Solar Empire. PM me if you want one.

• Options
    DoobhDoobh She/Her, Ace Pan/Bisexual 8-) What's up, bootlickers?Registered User regular
    DOTA 3
    Tube wrote: »
    Muzzmuzz wrote: »

They added incredibly granular gender options. Men can have babies, women can have beards... they pretty much made gender completely arbitrary and you can make whatever sims you want.

tbh this makes me think way more positively about the series than I otherwise would

Sims is popular enough to have quite an effect on folks' perceptions

Miss me? Find me on:

Twitch (I stream most days of the week)
    Twitter (mean leftist discourse)
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    DDLC post festival:
    I'd been waiting for this game to show it's hand for a bit now and holy shit I don't think a game has made me this intensely uncomfortable in a long time. I knew from foolishly clicking on a spoiler there was a suicide but even then I still sorta had my money on Monika. I did the restart ever so hesitantly and just got to the prompt about unlocking a special poem and had to stop. Is it from her? Does either choice matter?

Also, fuck hxppy thxughts.png

• Options
    TofystedethTofystedeth Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I do, but my die-hard nostalgia side isn't so sure about the 3D aspect. I kinda have a soft spot for the old school pixellated 2D graphics. :P Might be something I try out in the future if the price drops a bunch.

I haven't played it myself (never was able to spend more than about 15 minutes in Roller Coaster tycoon before bankrupting my park.)
    But it's apparently good enough that when it was about to go to closed alpha, they had some issues with developers not working bugs because they were too busy playing the game.
    https://arstechnica.com/gaming/2016/03/planet-coaster-theme-park-sim-alpha-preview/

Tofystedeth on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    Lar Lar Lar

What if I told you that, in Planet Coaster, there is a man in a giant hamburger/police officer costume you set out to advertise the food establishments in your park.

That man's name is Chief Beef

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    LarsLars Registered User regular
    The anniversary event is going on for Payday 2 and today they updated and added over 300 new achievements.

If you already qualified for them, they were just automatically awarded as soon as you booted up the game.

...I was already qualified for every single one of them. It gave me nearly five minutes of achievement spam. And I'm pretty sure it just gave up and stopped displaying them because I don't think it showed all of them. Apparently some people outright crashed when they booted it up.

• Options
    SomestickguySomestickguy Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    DDLC post festival:
    I'd been waiting for this game to show it's hand for a bit now and holy shit I don't think a game has made me this intensely uncomfortable in a long time. I knew from foolishly clicking on a spoiler there was a suicide but even then I still sorta had my money on Monika. I did the restart ever so hesitantly and just got to the prompt about unlocking a special poem and had to stop. Is it from her? Does either choice matter?

DDLC:
    You don't necessarily unlock those special poems at set points. I'm not sure if it's random, but I certainly got different poems to the other playthrough I saw.

• Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    DDLC post festival:

DDLC:
    You don't necessarily unlock those special poems at set points. I'm not sure if it's random, but I certainly got different poems to the other playthrough I saw.

I ended up finding a wiki for DDLC:
    Yeah fuck the special poems. I also saw some stuff about the rest of the game, scares and plot stuff alike and I'm not sure I can continue on. This game has been sitting at the special poem prompt for hours now while I've been doing anything else. The amount of work put into this game is kinda crazy. There are scares with incredibly low % chances of happening, and at one point in the late game the game actually has a specific response if you're streaming it.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Portal 3
    My favorite part of Planet coaster is once you've designed, built and decorated you can ride it in first person mode, which is amazing.

If ya'll want to check out crazy coasters check out Channel 5's youtube channel. He reviews coasters and there are some AMAZING people out there.

https://youtu.be/fJDWnBcYF8I

webguy20 on
  • Options
    JedocJedoc In the scuppers with the staggers and jagsRegistered User regular
    ny3xgef7f35y.png

You know what, Bethesda? You're alright.

GDdCWMm.jpg
  • Options
    MeldingMelding Registered User regular
    For Honor has added a game mode for killing skeletons, and general spooky loot items that you can get for free.

But mostly a way to fight endless skeletons.

This is probably my favourite halloween even in a game.

• Options
    The Cow KingThe Cow King a island Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    DOTA 3
    I spent way to long building a long route through forest convery bus in factorio when I should have used trains

Ooos.jps

The Cow King on
    icGJy2C.png
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Melding wrote: »
    For Honor has added a game mode for killing skeletons, and general spooky loot items that you can get for free.

guess i'm starting for honour back up

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    The Escapist has been moribund of for a long while now, and I'm honestly surprised it's still online.

Neogaf though, woof. I give that place a lot of shit because a lot of its posting culture rubs me the wrong way (if the nth thread about fucking graphics were banned then honestly the forums would be that much tolerable, for example), but I admire that it doesn't tolerate bullshit when it comes to racism, sexism, and all the fun stuff that's the rage these days, especially for a forum that big and influential. That's a refreshing thing when it comes to gaming bullshit.

So yeah, not surprised to see the site revolting with the Evilore allegations and thread deletions.

• Options
    BroloBrolo Broseidon Lord of the BroceanRegistered User regular
    Portal 3
    I'm not familiar with neogaf aside from it being a large gaming forum.

And then escapist I only really remember because of Yahtzee, who I guess is still making content?

• Options
    ZxerolZxerol for the smaller pieces, my shovel wouldn't do so i took off my boot and used my shoeRegistered User regular
    Yahtzee is literally the only one there making content for them since everyone else jumped ship a while ago (MovieBob, Extra Credits, Jim Sterling, etc.). The site pretty much killed any goodwill it had during the height of the gramlegloober era when it decided it needed to get on this hot trend by making its forums KotakuInAction-lite and hiring a bunch of right-wing contributors for editorial. All of its talent have left save Yahtzee, and it's a wonder why he's still slumming it there when he could be making big Patreon bucks going solo.

• Options
    Melding wrote: »

did they make it not a complete mess of a game yet?

• Options
    also I've been playing P%, where do we talk about P5

cause man this is a good videogame

• Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    probably the persona 5 thread

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    I did not know there was one

or I did and my medicine is messing me up way more than I thought it was