As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Podcasts] and Dick Prison

• Options
    OmnipotentBagelOmnipotentBagel floof Registered User regular
    WACriminal wrote: »
    I think the thing that bothers me is that I feel like the "validate their opinions" respect is only going one way on this particular topic. I can understand and respect why some folks are bummed out re:Lup. I don't think they're wrong or bad for holding that opinion even though I disagree, and I do hope that the McElroys take the opportunity to learn from that feedback and do better in the future.

However, it doesn't feel like that respect is going the other way. The bummed-outs are being treated as having a more objective, more intelligent opinion and I just don't think that's the case. People who are into Lup are being sideways trashed as though they're just settling for some lower standard, as though they couldn't possibly feel that way if they were engaging critically with the material. It's snobbery, at best.

Like, it's valid to be upset. But it doesn't make you any more rational, thoughtful, or authentically queer than the queer folks who aren't upset, which is the unfortunate vibe I get from this discussion.

I don't see how respectfully listening to and considering the well-reasoned complaints and criticisms of trans folks in this community is snobbery. They've raised some valid points and I don't feel like "yeah well other people are cool with it" really adds much to the conversation in this case.

Like, if you actually read what's been written, it's been acknowledged on multiple occasions that other trans folks have no problem with this and that their opinions are also valid. This isn't a right/wrong situation and the only people I've seen who are framing it as such are the ones who feel the need to defend the McElroys against criticism. If you truly respect why people are bummed out about Lup, maybe let them just be bummed out and acknowledge their points without tacking on a "but also".

What I'm saying is that I don't think the bolded is fully accurate to the tone the conversation usually takes in here. When people say "it's OK if you like Lup", it's often framed in the same way someone would say, "I mean, you can eat trash if you want. I'll be over here eating REAL food." It's snide and unnecessary.

If you haven't felt that, cool. I'm just chipping in that, to me, the tone in here has felt shitty. I'm mostly (mostly) straight, so I understand I don't have a dog directly in this fight, but my partner falls into the "queer folks who love Lup" camp, so I hope you can understand how I would get a little riled internally when things seem a little snide towards her.

I like everyone in here, from what I've seen. I don't intend this as an attack, just, like...a thought.

I think that's projection. It's also really, really common for any sort of minority discourse that criticizes something, especially something popular, to be immediately interpreted as combative or dismissive, so I really prefer to give minority voices the benefit of the doubt on tone. There are biases at play there that I can't trust myself not to fall victim to and I'd rather not see salient criticism get overshadowed by arguments over tone.

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    WACriminalWACriminal Dying Is Easy, Young Man Living Is HarderRegistered User regular
    I think the thing that bothers me is that I feel like the "validate their opinions" respect is only going one way on this particular topic. I can understand and respect why some folks are bummed out re:Lup. I don't think they're wrong or bad for holding that opinion even though I disagree, and I do hope that the McElroys take the opportunity to learn from that feedback and do better in the future.

However, it doesn't feel like that respect is going the other way. The bummed-outs are being treated as having a more objective, more intelligent opinion and I just don't think that's the case. People who are into Lup are being sideways trashed as though they're just settling for some lower standard, as though they couldn't possibly feel that way if they were engaging critically with the material. It's snobbery, at best.

Like, it's valid to be upset. But it doesn't make you any more rational, thoughtful, or authentically queer than the queer folks who aren't upset, which is the unfortunate vibe I get from this discussion.

I don't see how respectfully listening to and considering the well-reasoned complaints and criticisms of trans folks in this community is snobbery. They've raised some valid points and I don't feel like "yeah well other people are cool with it" really adds much to the conversation in this case.

Like, if you actually read what's been written, it's been acknowledged on multiple occasions that other trans folks have no problem with this and that their opinions are also valid. This isn't a right/wrong situation and the only people I've seen who are framing it as such are the ones who feel the need to defend the McElroys against criticism. If you truly respect why people are bummed out about Lup, maybe let them just be bummed out and acknowledge their points without tacking on a "but also".

What I'm saying is that I don't think the bolded is fully accurate to the tone the conversation usually takes in here. When people say "it's OK if you like Lup", it's often framed in the same way someone would say, "I mean, you can eat trash if you want. I'll be over here eating REAL food." It's snide and unnecessary.

If you haven't felt that, cool. I'm just chipping in that, to me, the tone in here has felt shitty. I'm mostly (mostly) straight, so I understand I don't have a dog directly in this fight, but my partner falls into the "queer folks who love Lup" camp, so I hope you can understand how I would get a little riled internally when things seem a little snide towards her.

I like everyone in here, from what I've seen. I don't intend this as an attack, just, like...a thought.

I think that's projection. It's also really, really common for any sort of minority discourse that criticizes something, especially something popular, to be immediately interpreted as combative or dismissive, so I really prefer to give minority voices the benefit of the doubt on tone. There are biases at play there that I can't trust myself not to fall victim to and I'd rather not see salient criticism get overshadowed by arguments over tone.

This is a possibility. I don't think it accounts for the entirety of my perception on this, but it's no doubt a component.

• Options
    Bluedude152Bluedude152 Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Oghulk wrote: »
    Dan is a fucking idiot

He flosses twelve times a day and does it deep enough to where it bleeds

"if it bleeds i feel like I'm getting stuff done"

god at this point I actually want him to stop appearing on shit if he's gonna talk about this shit

You have the ability to cease seeing content with dan inside it

Couldnt the same be said for reading threads were people complain about Dan

Bluedude152 on
    p0a2ody6sqnt.jpg
  • Options
    ChincymcchillaChincymcchilla Registered User regular
    Dan is a fucking idiot

He flosses twelve times a day and does it deep enough to where it bleeds

"if it bleeds i feel like I'm getting stuff done"

god at this point I actually want him to stop appearing on shit if he's gonna talk about this shit

You have the ability to cease seeing content with dan inside it

Couldnt the same be said for reading threads were people complain a out da

sure? I don't care though

Its just weird to me that people hate him so much they complain about him constantly when there is an extremely easy solution

Just stop torturing yourselves

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    OghulkOghulk Tinychat Janitor TinychatRegistered User regular
    but I hate myself

• Options
    but I hate myself

oh

Keep going then

Here hold on let me find a Dan Best Of

I have a podcast about Power Rangers:Teenagers With Attitude | TWA Facebook Group
  • Options
    GustavGustav Friend of Goats Somewhere in the OzarksRegistered User regular
    Great I'm tripping over everyone on the ground from tripping over themselves to either defend or attack that Dan dude.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Gustav wrote: »
    Great I'm tripping over everyone on the ground from tripping over themselves to either defend or attack that Dan dude.

I thought you were a goat man

• Options
    admanbadmanb unionize your workplace Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    edited August 2017

and now I've tripped over you

when will this horrific cycle end
    Here hold on let me find a Dan Best Of

more like Worst Of amirite UP TOP

admanb on
  • Options
    GOATS DONT TRIP

• Options
    Goats absolutely trip.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    I had to help my mom chainsaw a forked tree apart because a goat tripped and fell and got lodged in it. That was stressful.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Goats absolutely trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf89wlt6LrU

YOURE RIGHT AND ITS VERY CUTE

• Options
    Goats absolutely trip.

I'm gonna need videographic proo-
    I had to help my mom chainsaw a forked tree apart because a goat tripped and fell and got lodged in it. That was stressful.

mmmmaybe not nevermind

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    The goat was totally fine for what it's worth.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    TankHammerTankHammer Atlanta Ghostbuster Atlanta, GARegistered User regular
    I love the baby goat's little tail-wiggle to show they're okay after wiping out.

• Options
    augustaugust where you come from is gone Registered User regular
    I think Dan and Vinny are basically married now.

Dan: People should behave like [X]!
    Vinny: Yeah, but remember that story where [Dan was a tremendous asshole in direct violation of X].
    Dan: Oh yeah.

• Options
    Goats absolutely trip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Hf89wlt6LrU

YOURE RIGHT AND ITS VERY CUTE

Animals fucking up is always hilarious (as long as they aren't actually hurt).

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    my mother in law has two goats named bonnie and clyde and sometimes I just watch them bounce around for hours and think about what it would be like to be a goat and I think I'd like to be a goat

She also has a possum

I don't want to be a possum

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Are you a goat or are you a chinchilla

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    -Tal wrote: »

I am a human my name is Zack hello

• Options
    David_TDavid_T A fashion yes-man is no good to me. Copenhagen, DenmarkRegistered User regular

Ah yes, that classic hit by The Killers.

euj90n71sojo.png
  • Options
    I think

We have enough people to start a furry podcast

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    I think

Why are you inviting people onto your furry podcast

Shouldn't that be a Furz Only Zone

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You mean like you want to have some sort of I have no mouth but I must scream situation inside a goats body or like you want to be as stupid as a goat inside a goats body

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

https://www.paypal.me/hobnailtaylor
  • Options
    Hobnail wrote: »
    You mean like you want to have some sort of I have no mouth but I must scream situation inside a goats body or like you want to be as stupid as a goat inside a goats body

yes

• Options
    I'm not a furry myself, I'm just the producer

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    I think

Anyone is welcome to record their own episode of Whats Your Furstyle

cdci44qazyo3.gif

• Options
    edited August 2017
    life goats really

34B0B07C00000578-3612748-image-a-19_1464357218081.jpg

Gustav on
    aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options

yes

Those are two mutually exclusive situations you cannot intelligibly respond to my question with an unqualified affirmative please try again

Broke as fuck in the style of the times. Gratitude is all that can return on your generosity.

• Options

yes

Those are two mutually exclusive situations you cannot intelligibly respond to my question with an unqualified affirmative please try again

okay

• Options
    Proceed

• Options
    StraightziStraightzi Here we may reign secure, and in my choice, To reign is worth ambition though in HellRegistered User regular
    life goats really

I learned about this arm things in a book I read as a teenager about learning how to become a werewolf

• Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    life goats really

I learned about this arm things in a book I read as a teenager about learning how to become a werewolf

I think we just one two punched the most "us" posts there.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Proceed

I would like to be a goat

• Options
    Sickening

• Options
    Goats are like sheep with dog personalities. So they are clearly the best animal.

aGPmIBD.jpg
  • Options
    Straightzi wrote: »
    life goats really

I think we just one two punched the most "us" posts there.

I don't think either had quite enough of our trademark pretension, but yeah, it's pretty good.

I still own that book, and it is one of the funniest things to reread now. I got rid of most of the other stuff from my gothic neo-druidism phase, but that one is a treasure.

• Options
    DiarmuidDiarmuid Amazing Meatball Registered User regular
    edited August 2017

I have to wonder what someone who follows Jeff Minter on Twitter, and doesn't know what's going on, thinks is going on.

Diarmuid on
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    DAN IS SUCH A NARC

Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
This discussion has been closed.