As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Podcasts] and Dick Prison

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    You're supposed to stuff them into your ear canals, idiot

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Oh, I was just using it as a glove

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Hobnail wrote: »
    I have recurring tinnitus due to firearm discharge, always wear protection

I've had tinnitus since I was a small child. Honestly I've had it so long I barely notice it. It's also really minor though, never really interferes.

• Options
    Butler For Life #1Butler For Life #1 Twinning is WinningRegistered User regular
    Yeah, I have tinnitus for no discernible reason

Doesn't bother me much

• Options
    HobnailHobnail Registered User regular
    Same, mine only lasts long enough to make me wonder if I'm about to have a stroke

• Options
    TallahasseerielTallahasseeriel Registered User regular
    Good news everyone. My hearing is returning. Slowly. It feels like I have water in there still though.

• Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    I only notice my tinnitus when I'm inside office buildings, strangely enough.

• Options
    Librarian's ghostLibrarian's ghost Librarian, Ghostbuster, and TimSpork Registered User regular
    I am good on hearing which is a miracle when you consider how many musket volleys and cannon firingings of which I've been a part.

(Switch Friend Code) SW-4910-9735-6014(PSN) timspork (Steam) timspork (XBox) Timspork

• Options
    rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2017
  • Options
    BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Uriel wrote: »
    Hey any of y'all ever take a shower and... lose hearing in one of your ears?

It's possible there's some water trapped in your ear canal, or the warm water melted some earwax and created a blockage, that has happened to me a couple times this year for some reason. I go deaf in the ear in question until I get it unblocked. What I've done is use hydrogen peroxide ear drops to loosen the blockage up, and a squirty bulb of warm water to try to dislodge the softened material over the sink. Both times it's taken me 3-4 days of ear dropping and rinsing twice a day to get the blockage to break up.

I'd wait overnight to see if it clears up on its own first though, and also I Am Not A Doctor and a doctor would be better able to diagnose the problem and probably have a better way of dealing with it.

BahamutZERO.gif
  • Options
    VeldrinVeldrin Sham bam bamina Registered User regular
    Gosh, the feeling of a waxy ear blockage finally breaking up and unblocking is probably one of the best feelings in the world.

I once had one for a week and when it finally came out I felt like I had suddenly ascended to a higher plane of enlightenment.

• Options
    pookapooka Registered User regular
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Lasbrook wrote: »
    Huh, the place down the street from me stopped carrying regular OE in favor of 42oz High Gravity OE. Same price too I think. Judging by wikipedia it looks like it's 8% ABV while regular OE is 5.9%.

Sounds like you got some Battle Royale to watch.

Indeed, I haven't seen it in many years and remember not really liking it so we'll see how it goes this time. Pretty excited for that They Live Film & 40's though.
    !!!
    (way behind -- we just watched Fast Five this weekend.)

discussion of hearing loss / ear infections / tinnitus.... yup!
    also that was a nice touch in Baby Driver. there were a couple times they injected some subtle feel of high frequencies instead of just the screechy humming that gets used in a lot of media. the latter is accurate, but i'd rather not have my tinnitus set off when i'm trying to enjoy a movie, y'know?

lfchwLd.jpg
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular

The last time I lost hearing in one of my ears it was 'cuz a bunch of earwax had built up in there

Turns out I have shitty ear canals that require me to get them washed out by a medical professional every so often

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Huey, Dewey, and Gooey, my favorites.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    I needed anime to post.I needed anime to post. boom Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »

The last time I lost hearing in one of my ears it was 'cuz a bunch of earwax had built up in there

Turns out I have shitty ear canals that require me to get them washed out by a medical professional every so often

erotic

liEt3nH.png
  • Options
    PoorochondriacPoorochondriac Ah, man Ah, jeezRegistered User regular
    I have a family history of hearing loss and go to a lot of concerts and whoops it turns out my hearing is going at 30

Who could've ever seen this coming

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    I have a family history of hearing loss and go to a lot of concerts and whoops it turns out my hearing is going at 30

Sounds like your hindsight is perfect though!

• Options
    edited August 2017
    Dustin "Mimikaki" Stilts

Radius on
  • Options
    Indie WinterIndie Winter die Krähe Rudi Hurzlmeier (German, b. 1952)Registered User regular
  • Options
    simulacrumsimulacrum She/herRegistered User regular
    Radius wrote: »
    Dustin "Mimikami" Stilts

It's mimikaki isn't it?

• Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Veldrin wrote: »
    Gosh, the feeling of a waxy ear blockage finally breaking up and unblocking is probably one of the best feelings in the world.

I once had one for a week and when it finally came out I felt like I had suddenly ascended to a higher plane of enlightenment.

I wonder if there are people who do this ritualistically

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    You're right, I stand corrected.

• Options
    Ms DapperMs Dapper Yuri Librarian Registered User regular
    DHamr_MV0AAYQz0.jpg

2ohWien.png
    Tumblr | Twitter PSN: misterdapper Av by Satellite_09
  • Options
    jeff gerstmann, antifa

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Yeah I prefer aerith too, and nazis deserve death

PNk1Ml4.png
  • Options
    if you didn't date barret you misplayed

wY6K6Jb.gif
  • Options
    Der Waffle MousDer Waffle Mous Blame this on the misfortune of your birth. New Yark, New Yark.Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    I'm more antikatz personally.

it is a gundam joke

ps fuck the Titans

Der Waffle Mous on
    Steam PSN: DerWaffleMous Origin: DerWaffleMous Bnet: DerWaffle#1682
  • Options
    Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    So I vaguely recall Acquisitions Incorporated being a D&D podcast before it was some kind of wildly popular improv theater show with various Internet celebrities and also dice?

The reason I bring it up is because they just released a new one-off episode as a lead in to their live show at PAX, featuring the newest Intern at AI. This is important, because they might actually be my new favorite Intern? Of all time???

You should listen to it, because it is very, very good.

Romanian My Escutcheon on
    [IMG][/img]
  • Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin

Invest in some musician quality earplugs, like 200 bucks worth. They'll kill all the frequencies that hurt your ears and you'll be able to hear the music better. If you're a big live music fan it's definitely worth it.

• Options
    KwoaruKwoaru Confident Smirk Flawless Golden PecsRegistered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Invest in some musician quality earplugs, like 200 bucks worth. They'll kill all the frequencies that hurt your ears and you'll be able to hear the music better. If you're a big live music fan it's definitely worth it.

My boyfriend has a pair of those, I made fun of him for spending so much but then he let me try them at a concert and they were amazing

2x39jD4.jpg
  • Options
    Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    if it persists for a long time you might have an ear infection

Yeah, I had that happen a few months ago. Had to go to urgent care when it persisted and get antibiotics. Took about 9 days to get normal hearing back in my left ear.

It sucks!

• Options
    cursedkingcursedking Registered User regular
    I definitely have a very hard time hearing when there is any sort of background noise at all. Like, if my wife is trying to talk to me and the kids are generating noise or if I'm in a bar/anywhere with background hum, it becomes very difficult to parse anything.

So I looked that up and hey it's the like, number one sign of hearing loss. Which, that's cool. I can still hear very well when that's not happening, but any other variables mean that I'm often reading lips and smiling and nodding.

Types: Boom + Robo | Food: Sweet | Habitat: Plains
  • Options
    Viktor WaltersViktor Walters Registered User regular
    Tube wrote: »

Theoretically if it's hereditary (especially cookiebite hearing loss) it has nothing to do with concerts/hearing damage and is just an effect of getting older.

Fun fact: There's usually a 7 year difference between "when you first notice/actually need treatment for hearing loss" to "actually gets treatment" because it's perceptual and the brain tries to rationalize the hearing loss as everyone else mumbling/things being too quiet/too much background noise.

Thankfully hearing aids are very effective at treating when you're Hard of Hearing! Unthankfully, they are ridiculously expensive. Anyway, go see an audiologist if you are experiencing tinnitus or noticeable hearing loss. There's a good chance you could use some help, and treatment improves quality of life in ways you don't expect.

Disclaimer: I am Hard of Hearing and probably going effectively Deaf sooner than later due to congenital hearing loss that became noticeable in my 20s. It's a nice thing that there's an actual Deaf community to join, so it feels less like a loss. Also, ASL is very cool.

Additional disclaimer: earplugs are always a good idea at concerts

• Options
    TubeTube Registered User admin
    A lot of people think that earplugs vs not earplugs is a trade-off between safety and audio quality, whereas the reality is that both are better with earplugs.

• Options
    CelloCello Registered User regular
    I didn't know those existed! Do you have any recommendations on brands or anything?

Steam
    3DS Friend Code: 0216-0898-6512
    Switch Friend Code: SW-7437-1538-7786
  • Options
    LuvTheMonkeyLuvTheMonkey High Sierra Serenade Registered User regular
    I think Etymotic is the gold standard in this department.

Molten variables hiss and roar. On my mind-forge, I hammer them into the greatsword Epistemology. Many are my foes this night.
    STEAM | GW2: Thalys
  • Options
    LasbrookLasbrook It takes a lot to make a stew When it comes to me and youRegistered User regular
    I think Etymotic is the gold standard in this department.

Mine probably aren't the best you could get (since they were like 20 bucks instead of 200) but they are by Etymotic and they work real well at lowering the volume without just muffling everything.

• Options
    replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Rose Buddies watching some Hate Blasters was good, I'm really interested to see what they end up doing, because I'm sure it's going to be amazing.

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vaeT3WSC-fk
    Watching Giant Bomb staff play Nidhogg remains one of life's purest joys

6F32U1X.png
This discussion has been closed.