The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Board Games] Dice, cubes, meeples, cards....MMmmm....

2456784

Posts

  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    FFG article on Fallout
    Just Fallouts 3 and 4, no 1, 2, Tactics, or New Vegas.
    But they seem to have discovered Scythe-style indented cardboard technology.

    antherem on
    CptHamilton
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    I would protest that Mansions of Madness combat is the exception to that rule.

  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    antherem wrote: »
    FFG article on Fallout
    Just Fallouts 3 and 4, no 1, 2, Tactics, or New Vegas.
    But they seem to have discovered Scythe-style indented cardboard technology.

    I wish more games that had things tracked on a board would use an indented or dual-layer design to keep pieces in place. Suburbia is my worst offender right now, and SUSD just mentioned this in their Terraforming Mars review.

    jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngSteam:ArcSyn
    antheremMagic Pink
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    I like that it's an adventure boardgame but the dollar to quality content ratio of FFG games has been laughably low (especially compared to CMON games) and getting lower and their recent track record with adventure boardgames has not been good or even average with MoM being the only exception.

    I'll have to pass.

  • antheremantherem Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »
    FFG article on Fallout
    Just Fallouts 3 and 4, no 1, 2, Tactics, or New Vegas.
    But they seem to have discovered Scythe-style indented cardboard technology.

    I wish more games that had things tracked on a board would use an indented or dual-layer design to keep pieces in place. Suburbia is my worst offender right now, and SUSD just mentioned this in their Terraforming Mars review.

    It's really awful in Terraforming Mars, and Eclipse. There's third party solutions but they seem to require printing off new player mats as well.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    antherem wrote: »
    FFG article on Fallout
    Just Fallouts 3 and 4, no 1, 2, Tactics, or New Vegas.
    But they seem to have discovered Scythe-style indented cardboard technology.

    I wish more games that had things tracked on a board would use an indented or dual-layer design to keep pieces in place. Suburbia is my worst offender right now, and SUSD just mentioned this in their Terraforming Mars review.

    it's definitely the new hot thing so i think we'll start seeing quite a bit more of it

  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Pretty interested in that fallout have. Have to wait and see some info but I do like a good adventure game.

    So how could I ever refuse
    I feel like I win when I lose
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Pretty interested in that fallout have. Have to wait and see some info but I do like a good adventure game.

    let's hope they keep anyone who worked on The Witcher away from it :/

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    Yes, if you like complex games. The only downside is it is much better after several plays since drafting is involved.

    Auralynxantherem
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    What is your opinion of algae?

    jswidget.php?username=ArcSyn&numitems=5&header=0&text=none&images=small&show=recentplays&imagesonly=1&imagepos=center&inline=1&domains%5B%5D=boardgame&imagewidget=1og83npmjgeii.pngSteam:ArcSyn
    Magic PinkCustom SpecialFuselage
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    What is your opinion of algae?

    and would you shoot an asteroid into it?

    mysticjuicerantherem
  • CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    Favorable and maybe.

    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Favorable and maybe.

    I'm sorry but you're just not what we're looking for. NEXT

    ElvenshaeFuselage
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    I had a really poor experience in my introduction to Terraforming Mars but I kind of want to try it again with drafting and people who do know what they're doing and see what difference it makes.

    og83npmjgeii.png

    Magic Pink
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Terraforming Mars in one of those game that I think will always make a poor first impression, like Rum and Bones.

    Dracomicron
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    terraforming mars is super fun if you play with the base cards and dont draft. if you play with the corporate era cards and draft (a must with the advanced cards) it just takes too long for the amount of fun i get out of it personally. but i love the base game.

    So how could I ever refuse
    I feel like I win when I lose
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I like that it's an adventure boardgame but the dollar to quality content ratio of FFG games has been laughably low (especially compared to CMON games) and getting lower and their recent track record with adventure boardgames has not been good or even average with MoM being the only exception.

    I'll have to pass.

    If the ratio of dollars to quality content is low, that sounds like a good thing to me.

  • PMAversPMAvers GomorraRegistered User regular
    edited August 8
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    PMAvers on
    persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696
    FryVaregaMedium DaveMojo_JojoZombie HeroMikey CTS
  • GlaziusGlazius Registered User regular
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    It's a little more random than I like out of my development games, really. If you're cool with playing a long-form competitive game with a neat theme and a bunch of buttons to push, but where you might not win because of pure bad luck, you'll be fine.

  • Wolf of DresdenWolf of Dresden Registered User regular
    So, I know I'm late to the party, but how is the overall recommendation for Terraforming Mars? Yes/No?

    Yes, provided you play with drafting. To me, a rare example of a Euro whose theme measures up to my picky tastes.

  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited August 8
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    Blood Rage is real good. I'm also pretty optimistic about Rising Sun having read the rulebook.

    Darric on
    KetarantheremVyolynceJustTee
  • KetarKetar Lacks the basic intelligence required for pretty much everythingRegistered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    Ethnos is fairly recent, and a great game. I've posted about it here and SU&SD among others really liked it. Not much in the way of components at all.

    I also like Potion Explosion, Blood Rage, XenoShyft, and The Grizzled.

    Sometimes our strengths lie beneath the surface - far beneath, in some cases - but I'm sure there's more to Ketar than meets the eye!
    DarricVyolynce
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    Zombicide (all of them), The Others, Arcadia Quest, Rum and Bones 2nd and Masmorra have all been a blast for me. RThe only things I got from them I didn't care for was the first SMOG game and B-Seiged and B-Seiged is only on there because it's too dang hard. I admit I would love less minis in their games; I'm not at all a minis person.

    FFG on the other hand is piddling piles of incredibly poor components with re-hashed rules from other better games, all with very little content at the same price point as a CMON game.

  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    I like that it's an adventure boardgame but the dollar to quality content ratio of FFG games has been laughably low (especially compared to CMON games) and getting lower and their recent track record with adventure boardgames has not been good or even average with MoM being the only exception.

    I'll have to pass.

    If the ratio of dollars to quality content is low, that sounds like a good thing to me.

    I openly admit I don't have a grasp on ratios at all. Basically, FFG games rarely get played more than once in our experience except for MoM.

  • LykouraghLykouragh Registered User regular
    edited August 8
    I only tried Terraforming Mars once, and I really enjoyed the theme, but I did not enjoy the game itself very much at all. Very difficult to evaluate the drafting, many fiddly mechanics, little to no interaction.

    Lykouragh on
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    Ethnos is fairly recent, and a great game. I've posted about it here and SU&SD among others really liked it. Not much in the way of components at all.

    I also like Potion Explosion, Blood Rage, XenoShyft, and The Grizzled.

    Oh yeah, I forgot Ethnos and Potion Explosion are CMON. Those are real good too.

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    I'm growing increasingly disappointed in the A Song of Ice and Fire kick starter, and am glad I didn't pledge. $150 base, not covering shipping, and then they try to nickle and dime you to death with $10 dice addons and $7 ruler addons and so on. No thanks.

    Though I have to confess I've never, ever thought of boardgames in terms of money to "content" ratio. I just want a game that is good to play, if it takes up less table and shelf space using minimalist and smartly designed components all the better.

    Custom SpecialElvenshaeDirtmuncherMagic Pink
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Man sometimes Fury of Dracula is just what I'm in the mood for. The sustained tension in that game is something else, no matter which side youre on. Shame it's quite so long, which is my complaint every time. And it's not a game that's going to get significantly shorter with repeat plays. And it's not even that I don't stay engaged the entire time playing it, it's just that the opportunity to play a 4-5 hour tension filled game of cat and mouse is just not going to present itself all that often.

    So how could I ever refuse
    I feel like I win when I lose
    mysticjuicer
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Re CMON they brought over Lorenzo Il Magnifico and are releasing Council of 4 and a new version of Modern Art soon. I'm into all of that.

    Plus speaking of rereleases of Knizia classics ZMan is finally rereleasing Through The Desert later this year! I'm into finally getting a chance to play that one.

    So how could I ever refuse
    I feel like I win when I lose
  • AuralynxAuralynx Super-Classy Crow On Silk!Registered User regular
    Spirit Island got here today. Tried it out with my fiancee.

    I had Shadows Flicker Like Flame, she had River Surges in Sunlight.

    It was slow going at first as we were both trying to do some damage-control while feeling the game out, but I'm sold. I spent several turns luring about a half-dozen explorers to my Place of Power deep in the island's jungle interior while jungles refused to activate and then killed them all in one go after they had the audacity to start trying to build towns there; a turn later she flat-out washed one of their main communities off the board!

    I guess I'm going to have to do evangelism for this one like I did Mage Knight, but I won't mind.

    og83npmjgeii.png

    antheremVyolynceElvenshae
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo A lemon squeezed in the salty fist of Poseidon Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    I'm honestly trying to think of a CMON game I've been happy with in ages. They all feel to be giant piles of miniatures, stretch goals, and disappointment.

    That's their slogan!

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Magic PinkFryElvenshae
  • TertieeTertiee Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Spirit Island got here today. Tried it out with my fiancee.

    I had Shadows Flicker Like Flame, she had River Surges in Sunlight.

    It was slow going at first as we were both trying to do some damage-control while feeling the game out, but I'm sold. I spent several turns luring about a half-dozen explorers to my Place of Power deep in the island's jungle interior while jungles refused to activate and then killed them all in one go after they had the audacity to start trying to build towns there; a turn later she flat-out washed one of their main communities off the board!

    I guess I'm going to have to do evangelism for this one like I did Mage Knight, but I won't mind.

    I've been eyeing this game as I don't own many co-ops. How would you rank the complexity compared to other popular games since it seems to be on the higher end.

  • AldoAldo Hippo Hooray the swamp, always the swampRegistered User regular
    I am in love with Tokaido: it looks so beautiful, the stack of weird characters is a treat to browse through and the simple mechanics make it a great intro game to people who only ever played ludo or The Game of Life. I play it with the two mini-expansions Crossroads and the Festivals beause those offer some balancing improvements, but the base game is great as is.

    The app is beautiful, but the AI is shitty and the expacs arent in yet, so I can only advice it for pass-and-play.

    Is this a good game to put in the OP as a recommendation for a good intro-game?

    Elendil wrote: »
    said Aldo hazily, before clop-clop-clopping out of the room
    CaptainPeacockLord Palington
  • Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    Hmmm, Tiny Epic Quest with 4 last night and hmmm,

    It wasn't bad as such, but it did seem to go very long for what it is with 4 people. It doesn't help that the 'board' can be very difficult to read at a glance and it can be quite difficult to work out what exactly you want to do. And the push your luck dice rolling with more people just became the last few people not bothering to roll as they had already achieved their aims for the night by that point.

    There's definitely some serious decisions to weigh up based on where you are in the turn order, but at the moment the luck of the quest cards seems to be the main factor. And the points for goblin killing seem to be pretty weighted against the other sources of points as well.

    I'd like to revisit again with more knowledge, but in a crowded field of games vying for my attention it didn't make a big splash for its big opening night.

    TingleSigBar.gif
    ChiselphaneDarric
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited August 9
    So I got two Kickstarters yesterday. Sadly, I'm kind of glaring at both of them.

    First is Pademonium. This is a dudes-on-a-map game about a bunch of regular people apparently trying to wipe out evil in the form of every 80's horror icon in order to NOT protect humanity but to compete to become the next lord of evil themselves (although it's still co-op...mostly). So you have a bunch of stereotype 80's film characters (except Final Girl for some reason) and a bunch of critters like Michael Myers, Chucky, Kayako, Sadako, Pinhead etc etc. The minis are neat and the gameplay is ok if not very very simplistic.

    Problem: it's cheap as hell. The cardboard components are thin, warped out of the box and peeling off themselves. It;s a Spanish game and rather than doing two versions, they dual-languaged most of the stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the parts that were supposed to be English just... aren't, so you'll be reading a card and suddenly half way through it switches to Spanish. There's a lot of objectified ladies as well, even a Stripper character, but admittedly there's more than one hot guy and the one character they made that's a couple (the Lovers) is actually multi-racial which was really nice to see. But seeing as how uninspired the gameplay is I don;t think this will get much attention.

    Then we got Apocrypha. This is the new adventure card game by Mike Selinker who did the Pathfinder game. And...it;s Pathfinder. Again. Granted it has a SUPER cool secret society, weird America horror skin now but it's basically the same game just with the complexity and Fancy Terminology cranked up to 11. You now can Assist others but only depending on their seating order at the table and on what Gifts you have Slotted into your Halo but don't Sacrifice all your Gifts or you'll Fade and Take A Death and....I could capitalize more nouns all day, really. In fact, here's the turn layout just for funsies:
    Start
    Support
    Invesitgate
    ...Avoid
    ...Confront
    ......Initiate
    ......Act
    ......Terminate
    Sanctify
    ...Guard
    ...Escape
    ...Seal
    Transfer
    ...Move
    ...Give
    End
    ...Reset
    ...Pass

    PLUS INBETWEEN ALL THAT SEVERAL TIMES

    Check
    ...Target
    ...Assist
    ...Mutate
    ...Assemble
    ...Evaluate
    I KNOW RIGHT
    Now granted it's a card game and they have to be specific but jeezum crow. And you can't just ignore those and go with the main headings because the cards all refer to all of those specific turn phases frequently.

    I still admit the game looks really really neat and the writing and atmosphere is A++ but daaaaaaaamn. There's an implied fiddliness to this that I don't know that I'll be able to get over.

    Magic Pink on
    Dracomicron
  • VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Spirit Island got here today. Tried it out with my fiancee.

    I had Shadows Flicker Like Flame, she had River Surges in Sunlight.

    It was slow going at first as we were both trying to do some damage-control while feeling the game out, but I'm sold. I spent several turns luring about a half-dozen explorers to my Place of Power deep in the island's jungle interior while jungles refused to activate and then killed them all in one go after they had the audacity to start trying to build towns there; a turn later she flat-out washed one of their main communities off the board!

    I guess I'm going to have to do evangelism for this one like I did Mage Knight, but I won't mind.

    Nice! Shadows is one of my favorites, and yeah Tsunami is a stupidly fun power when you can afford it.

    We finally got our first Branch & Claw expansion game last night, using what I dubbed "Team Fear": Shadows (me), Nightmares, and the Beast spirit. We thought we were completely screwed as we didn't have a lot of damaging effects. Also not helping: our first four Invader cards were Wetlands - Jungle - Wetlands - Jungle thanks to an Event card burning off one of the Stage 1 cards (later revealed to be Mountain). Every time we cleared a problem it just sprouted right back up like weeds! The Beast spirit is super hard to use despite its "moderate" complexity, since it only has one presence-adding growth option, poor energy production, and even requires 1 energy to reclaim its cards! There are two "reclaim one" spots on its play track but I have no idea how you would ever afford them. It's really all about the Beast tokens, and once an event wiped out about eight of them (taking a ton of towns with them) he was really crippled for the rest of the game; he even spent two complete turns doing nothing but reclaiming cards.

    We somehow managed to get our Fear game rolling, though, and snatched our first Terror victory from the jaws of a seemingly-inevitable blight defeat (literally one remaining on the card) when Nightmares found the big lightning major power that let it generate a whopping 10 fear (3 from the card, and the card's damage would have destroyed a town and a city so that generated 7 more via Nightmares' ability).

    Having finally played with the expansion, I like the way the four token types give the players some room to breathe (especially the disease tokens that start on the lands with cities, preventing the next build from happening there), but the Events add an extra layer of unpredictability that really swings things. Since forward planning is such an important part of the game, the expansion makes things more difficult than it maybe needs to be. Although given the choice between using Events and adding an Adversary I'm pretty sure we'll go with the Events every time, because those Adversaries are assholes. Also the Blight cards in the expansion are much friendlier on the whole than the two in the main box, as they (almost?) all have one-shot effects when flipped instead of forcing a significant sacrifice every turn. Some are even outright beneficial, but they don't give you a lot of extra blight to work with so they're just as dangerous.


    Tertiee wrote: »
    I've been eyeing this game as I don't own many co-ops. How would you rank the complexity compared to other popular games since it seems to be on the higher end.

    Kind of? It's more complex than most Leacock designs but probably less complex than, say, Sentinels of the Multiverse.

    What's really nice about the design is a built-in complexity ramping that will ease you into the first few games. Using the low-complexity spirits, Power Progression (you have a set order of specific powers you gain instead of randomly diving into the deck and hoping you find one that helps), and no blight card or other complication lets you focus on just the basics: learning how the Invaders function and how to apply your powers. Once you've settled into that, you can start adjusting knobs until you hit your comfort level.

  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo A lemon squeezed in the salty fist of Poseidon Registered User regular
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I got two Kickstarters yesterday. Sadly, I'm kind of glaring at both of them.

    First is Pademonium. This is a dudes-on-a-map game about a bunch of regular people apparently trying to wipe out evil in the form of every 80's horror icon in order to NOT protect humanity but to compete to become the next lord of evil themselves (although it's still co-op...mostly). So you have a bunch of stereotype 80's film characters (except Final Girl for some reason) and a bunch of critters like Michael Myers, Chucky, Kayako, Sadako, Pinhead etc etc. The minis are neat and the gameplay is ok if not very very simplistic.

    Problem: it's cheap as hell. The cardboard components are thin, warped out of the box and peeling off themselves. It;s a Spanish game and rather than doing two versions, they dual-languaged most of the stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the parts that were supposed to be English just... aren't, so you'll be reading a card and suddenly half way through it switches to Spanish. There's a lot of objectified ladies as well, even a Stripper character, but admittedly there's more than one hot guy and the one character they made that's a couple (the Lovers) is actually multi-racial which was really nice to see. But seeing as how uninspired the gameplay is I don;t think this will get much attention.

    Then we got Apocrypha. This is the new adventure card game by Mike Selinker who did the Pathfinder game. And...it;s Pathfinder. Again. Granted it has a SUPER cool secret society, weird America horror skin now but it's basically the same game just with the complexity and Fancy Terminology cranked up to 11. You now can Assist others but only depending on their seating order at the table and on what Gifts you have Slotted into your Halo but don't Sacrifice all your Gifts or you'll Fade and Take A Death and....I could capitalize more nouns all day, really. In fact, here's the turn layout just for funsies:
    Start
    Support
    Invesitgate
    ...Avoid
    ...Confront
    ......Initiate
    ......Act
    ......Terminate
    Sanctify
    ...Guard
    ...Escape
    ...Seal
    Transfer
    ...Move
    ...Give
    End
    ...Reset
    ...Pass

    PLUS INBETWEEN ALL THAT SEVERAL TIMES

    Check
    ...Target
    ...Assist
    ...Mutate
    ...Assemble
    ...Evaluate
    I KNOW RIGHT
    Now granted it's a card game and they have to be specific but jeezum crow. And you can't just ignore those and go with the main headings because the cards all refer to all of those specific turn phases frequently.

    I still admit the game looks really really neat and the writing and atmosphere is A++ but daaaaaaaamn. There's an implied fiddliness to this that I don't know that I'll be able to get over.

    I just looked at the Pandemonium kickstarter. I mean, it looks fairly poor but what really catches the eye is that all the minis are cut off at the crotch. It's a pretty unique artistic choice.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    So I got two Kickstarters yesterday. Sadly, I'm kind of glaring at both of them.

    First is Pademonium. This is a dudes-on-a-map game about a bunch of regular people apparently trying to wipe out evil in the form of every 80's horror icon in order to NOT protect humanity but to compete to become the next lord of evil themselves (although it's still co-op...mostly). So you have a bunch of stereotype 80's film characters (except Final Girl for some reason) and a bunch of critters like Michael Myers, Chucky, Kayako, Sadako, Pinhead etc etc. The minis are neat and the gameplay is ok if not very very simplistic.

    Problem: it's cheap as hell. The cardboard components are thin, warped out of the box and peeling off themselves. It;s a Spanish game and rather than doing two versions, they dual-languaged most of the stuff. Unfortunately a lot of the parts that were supposed to be English just... aren't, so you'll be reading a card and suddenly half way through it switches to Spanish. There's a lot of objectified ladies as well, even a Stripper character, but admittedly there's more than one hot guy and the one character they made that's a couple (the Lovers) is actually multi-racial which was really nice to see. But seeing as how uninspired the gameplay is I don;t think this will get much attention.

    Then we got Apocrypha. This is the new adventure card game by Mike Selinker who did the Pathfinder game. And...it;s Pathfinder. Again. Granted it has a SUPER cool secret society, weird America horror skin now but it's basically the same game just with the complexity and Fancy Terminology cranked up to 11. You now can Assist others but only depending on their seating order at the table and on what Gifts you have Slotted into your Halo but don't Sacrifice all your Gifts or you'll Fade and Take A Death and....I could capitalize more nouns all day, really. In fact, here's the turn layout just for funsies:
    Start
    Support
    Invesitgate
    ...Avoid
    ...Confront
    ......Initiate
    ......Act
    ......Terminate
    Sanctify
    ...Guard
    ...Escape
    ...Seal
    Transfer
    ...Move
    ...Give
    End
    ...Reset
    ...Pass

    PLUS INBETWEEN ALL THAT SEVERAL TIMES

    Check
    ...Target
    ...Assist
    ...Mutate
    ...Assemble
    ...Evaluate
    I KNOW RIGHT
    Now granted it's a card game and they have to be specific but jeezum crow. And you can't just ignore those and go with the main headings because the cards all refer to all of those specific turn phases frequently.

    I still admit the game looks really really neat and the writing and atmosphere is A++ but daaaaaaaamn. There's an implied fiddliness to this that I don't know that I'll be able to get over.

    I just looked at the Pandemonium kickstarter. I mean, it looks fairly poor but what really catches the eye is that all the minis are cut off at the crotch. It's a pretty unique artistic choice.

    yeah, the minis are pretty bizarre. It's neat tho, like little statues, not minis. I do like it a lot.

    Elvenshae
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Hmmm, Tiny Epic Quest with 4 last night and hmmm,

    It wasn't bad as such, but it did seem to go very long for what it is with 4 people. It doesn't help that the 'board' can be very difficult to read at a glance and it can be quite difficult to work out what exactly you want to do. And the push your luck dice rolling with more people just became the last few people not bothering to roll as they had already achieved their aims for the night by that point.

    There's definitely some serious decisions to weigh up based on where you are in the turn order, but at the moment the luck of the quest cards seems to be the main factor. And the points for goblin killing seem to be pretty weighted against the other sources of points as well.

    I'd like to revisit again with more knowledge, but in a crowded field of games vying for my attention it didn't make a big splash for its big opening night.

    We played it again and lot of this holds true for 2 players as well. I almost want to say the map cards are too big, I think they would read better if they were a bit smaller. That phase continues to take the largest amount of time. We also ran into the dice thing, I had gotten what I wanted done and just watching one player roll dice over and over wasn't the most entertaining thing ever. We still liked it though, and next play we plan to use the golden mushroom expansion but I don't think this one is going to be a long term hit.

Sign In or Register to comment.