As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    The Stranger Things minis weren't super obvious to me, I just plan on using then like halflings or kids.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    The Stranger Things minis weren't super obvious to me, I just plan on using then like halflings or kids.

good, that's what they made them up as!

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Glazius wrote: »
    Fry wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Dixit has some obvious similarities to Mysterium, but is entirely competitive, plays much faster, and is quicker to set up and quicker to explain.

I like both, but Dixit sees more play with us since it's so much easier to break out on a whim and play for a shorter period of time.

Competitive is not the word I'd use for Dixit. I agree that it's not cooperative like Mysterium is, but to me "competitive" implies that the game stands up to the rigors of people trying to play the game seriously. Dixit falls apart when someone realizes that you can do as well or better by spouting random words rather than trying to give actual clues.

You know in that episode of The Genius they'd both worked out there was nothing stopping them from displaying their cards to the guessers and it rapidly just turned into a referendum on who should stay?

Random words actually have a decent chance of being jammed by another card in the deck, though. The mathematically "superior strategy" is to say unguessable garbage that can't be associated with anything, but that also has the downside of being bloody obvious.

The Genius is so good. Thank you for reminding me that I need to look around for seasons 3 and 4, I've only watched the first two.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Must not buy Terraforming Mars. Must hold out for app....

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    Lord PalingtonLord Palington he.him.his History-loving pal!Registered User regular
    ChaosHat wrote: »
    My table is here. It's like Christmas. Now my excellent basement game zone is essentially complete.
    y3J1tGv.jpg

Which finish did you end up going with? We're probably going to put in an order at PAX South this year, and we're stuck on a couple of the details.

SrUxdlb.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »

Terraforming is a long and time-consuming process, better to start now? :rotate:

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy
  • Options
    TimFijiTimFiji Beast Lord Halfway2AnywhereRegistered User regular
    Polaritie wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »

Terraforming is a long and time-consuming process, better to start now? :rotate:

Enabling is the best board game of all and we're good at it!

Switch: SW-2322-2047-3148 Steam: Archpriest
      Selling Board Games for Medical Bills
    • Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      SU&SD's video on Twilight Imperium is out!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iUpFlkTvQgg

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      Ah, here is what I played last weekend.
      https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=V4fkzvvvd50

Its a shame its not Climate, but I'll take it.

• Options
      ChaosHatChaosHat Hop, hop, hop, HA! Trick of the lightRegistered User regular
      ChaosHat wrote: »
      My table is here. It's like Christmas. Now my excellent basement game zone is essentially complete.
      y3J1tGv.jpg

Which finish did you end up going with? We're probably going to put in an order at PAX South this year, and we're stuck on a couple of the details.

It's the special stain on knotty alder.

• Options
      AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
      Hey, quick head's up:

If you bought Twilight Imperium 4E at GenCon, a couple things to be aware of in the fine print.

1) The promo card they should have given you expires on October 1st, 2017.

2) The promo includes the hardcover rulebook and 2 posters.

3) There is a shipping cost involved of $13.50 (at least for me, to Illinois via UPS ground).

My local store's a bit salty about it because they only are getting 1 pre-order kit for ever 2 copies they order, which seems like shit. Still, guaranteed getting the pre-order versus a 50% change.. dunno if it's worth the extra, but hey.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    • Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Athenor wrote: »

I think I've said it before, but man I want to buy a copy just to support all the love that has gone into that game.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options
      edited September 2017
      This is the thing that I always tell people about FFG. They all have incredible passion for what they are doing. Sometimes that is clouded by their corporate overlords, or by bad OP decisions... but in the end, talking with the developers, they are amazing. I think I saw Christian walking down the street during GenCon. All I wanted to do was shake his hand and say thank you. Wasn't able to get that far, but I did thank Steve Horvath and anyone else I met.

Sadly, it looks like the bit of the documentary at the In-flight report was before they let in those of us waiting outside, so you can't see my fat ass standing against the back wall. But yeah.

Athenor on
    • Options
      You mean like Star Wars Destiny? :hydra:

You people gone and made me buy TM, because it has single player and economics are awesome and Offworld Trading Company is my waifu.

My girlfriend is upset by the theme. There's too much shit to fix on earth for us filthy Americans to be thinking about Mars!

• Options
      CesareBCesareB Registered User regular
      Dracil wrote: »
      Through the Ages is out now for Android

https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.czechgames.tta

Would be cool to get in some games with some PAers later.

Edit: Though online seems broken at the moment.

Edit2: Found a workaround for online. Turn on and off airplane mode in the title screen. As soon as your gem turns green, click online game and you might make it through.

Just got it, it's a super-slick translation. Not even that hard to parse on a standard phone, which considering the difficulty of reading TTA in real life is really impressive. Interested to see how the asynchronous rules play.

Also I just played against the hardest AI and it's quite challenging. Definitely not the kind of enemy I'll be able to beat without paying attention, at least not until I've internalized the game a bit more. Good times!

• Options
      JacobyJacoby OHHHHH IT’S A SNAKE Creature - SnakeRegistered User regular
      I'm planning a games session with students at my high school in Beijing soon. I've got some games that should be pretty easy to teach, like 2 Rooms and a Boom (should be great, considering how popular Werewolf is here), Pandemic, and Hanabi. In some cases, I'm going to remove whole sets of rules to make things simpler. For example, I'll just make everyone a generic no-role player in Pandemic for the first game, then add roles if they want to play again.

My problem is that I'd like to do this with Tammany Hall, but I can't figure out part of it. I'm going to leave out Slander tokens, which should be just fine. But I also want to leave out the City Council roles, and I think this unbalances the game. They're supposed to be a catch-up mechanic for the players who didn't get Mayor.

I've got 2 ideas so far:
      1. Make Mayor only worth 1 VP. (Maybe 2?)
      2. Give all other players a chance to move in 1 more immigrant (their choice) and get 1 free influence token.

How do these sound? Any other ideas?

GameCenter: ROldford
      Switch: nin.codes/roldford
    • Options
      edited September 2017
      ArcSyn wrote: »
      Athenor wrote: »

I think I've said it before, but man I want to buy a copy just to support all the love that has gone into that game.

I don't think I could play a four hour [if I'm lucky] game.

EDIT - Twilight Struggle is kicking my ass

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3L-Aj0nXNB0

Cantido on
    • Options
      Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
      hey any of yall want to play the TTA app online games? my user name on there is Ah_Pook, i havent messed with the online thus far but i feel like thats a thing that should happen

• Options
      so i got a shipment of nine boardgames Saturday from CoolStuff, none of which I actually ordered or was charged for.

I sent them an email and they said "Well, that's highly unlikely. You'll need to send us a picture."

/boggle

So I do and now they insist on me telling them what the order number is on it and, as far as I can tell, there isn't one. But they insist I just can't find it.

So no more business to these assholes.

• Options
      whoa, what all did you get?

• Options
      edited September 2017
      just a bunch of crap card games and two other things I've never heard of. Cottage Garden too but eh.

Magic Pink on
    • Options
      DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
      Magic Pink wrote: »
      just a bunch of crap card games and two other things I've never heard of. Cottage Garden too but eh.

Early secret Satan? Let's ship magic pink this pile of garbage!!

steam_sig.png
    • Options

I'd pay shipping on a free copy of cottage garden if you don't want it ;)

• Options

Nah I never do that.
      Ah_Pook wrote: »

If for some reason they just say "keep the lot" that's the one i would keep. you can have vikings gone wild

• Options
      ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
      Well technically you are legally allowed to keep anything shipped to you accidentally. I saw that multiple times when Amazon has made errors and shipped extra of something.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    • Options

Nah I never do that.

If for some reason they just say "keep the lot" that's the one i would keep. you can have vikings gone wild

I would pay shipping on a free copy of Vikings gone wild too heh

• Options

Nah I never do that.

I would pay shipping on a free copy of Vikings gone wild too heh

the poor fool bought like everything released for the game i think

• Options
      Well technically you are legally allowed to keep anything shipped to you accidentally. I saw that multiple times when Amazon has made errors and shipped extra of something.

which makes it all the weirder that they're putting up such a fight about getting it back

• Options
      mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular

which makes it all the weirder that they're putting up such a fight about getting it back

And that's why "I wish we could ship a ton of these games!" is a bad thing to use your limited Monkey Paw wishes on.

narwhal wrote:
      Why am I Terran?
      My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
    • Options
      MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
      The conversation should have been only this:

"Oh really? Wow, sorry about that!"

Then either:

"Our fault, you can keep it if you'd like. Would you mind letting me know the order # so I can send the product to the right person?"
      or
      "If you send it back to the return address I will refund your shipping and get you a $10 gift card for your troubles."

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
      Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
      Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
      Steam ID
      Twitch Page
    • Options
      rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
      So I'm trying to dig through the first post and parse all the information in the hopes what I'm looking for is there, but so far I'm not seeing it, or maybe I have and didn't realize it.

I'm basically looking for D&D w/o a DM and maybe a little MORE than just pen and paper and dice, like maybe cards, but doesn't have to have a traditional board.

So I'm looking for a game to play with my wife and daughter (8 yrs old, but has been playing games like Catan and Ticket to Ride for at least a year now, so 10 and up would probably be fine), and of course myself.
      I'm looking for cooperative, rpg-like game with no DM so all 3 of us can play. I REALLY want characters that grow (stats, or levels, or modifiers of some sort) and are maybe persistent between sessions (not a must but would be nice).

My main objective is a cooperative game for the 3 of us where she can start to learn about building a character and working as a team, even if it's just for that one session.

Perhaps I'm asking too much.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    • Options
      CptHamiltonCptHamilton Registered User regular
      rockmonkey wrote: »
      So I'm trying to dig through the first post and parse all the information in the hopes what I'm looking for is there, but so far I'm not seeing it, or maybe I have and didn't realize it.

I'm basically looking for D&D w/o a DM and maybe a little MORE than just pen and paper and dice, like maybe cards, but doesn't have to have a traditional board.

So I'm looking for a game to play with my wife and daughter (8 yrs old, but has been playing games like Catan and Ticket to Ride for at least a year now, so 10 and up would probably be fine), and of course myself.
      I'm looking for cooperative, rpg-like game with no DM so all 3 of us can play. I REALLY want characters that grow (stats, or levels, or modifiers of some sort) and are maybe persistent between sessions (not a must but would be nice).

My main objective is a cooperative game for the 3 of us where she can start to learn about building a character and working as a team, even if it's just for that one session.

Gloomhaven would probably fit the bill. It's fully cooperative with scenarios instead of a DM and has character progression over the course of a campaign.

PSN,Steam,Live | CptHamiltonian
    • Options
      MNC Dover wrote: »
      The conversation should have been only this:

"Oh really? Wow, sorry about that!"

Then either:

"Our fault, you can keep it if you'd like. Would you mind letting me know the order # so I can send the product to the right person?"
      or
      "If you send it back to the return address I will refund your shipping and get you a $10 gift card for your troubles."

anything would be better than "nah you're just mistaken"

• Options
      AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
      rockmonkey wrote: »

You want Mice and Mystics or Descent 2e w/ the Road to Legend app. There are other options (Like Gloomhaven) but those are the easy two to acquire and on-board people to. M & M is fun and characterful but not that complex, so it might even be a little simpler than you'd like.

• Options
      ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
      @rockmonkey

The D&D board games actually seem like they'd fit the bill pretty well (Curse of Strahd, Wrath of Ashardalon, ...). There isn't much (any?) of a campaign aspect to them, but they're basically stripped-down coop RPGs.

Some of the heavier games - Gloomhaven, etc. - might assume more familiarity with the language of RPGs to be good intro points.

• Options
      DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
      edited September 2017
      Two games into Spirit Island and it seems really good. We fell flat on our face in the first game using Shadows Flicker Like Flame and River Surges In Sunlight, but pulled off an asterisk win with Lightning's Swift Strike and Vital Strength of the Earth (we might have messed up one Invader phase in a kinda crucial way) for game two.

Oh, yes, these are all the actual Spirit names, and they're all amazing.

Darric on
    • Options
      DracilDracil Registered User regular
      edited September 2017
      hey any of yall want to play the TTA app online games? my user name on there is Ah_Pook, i havent messed with the online thus far but i feel like thats a thing that should happen

Sure, name is Dracil on there. I would recommend doing at least medium Async or faster. The more people are playing the more leeway we get too. Digital or Tabletop rules are both fine with me.

Dracil on
      3DS: 2105-8644-6304
      Switch: US 1651-2551-4335 JP 6310-4664-2624
      MH3U Monster Cheat Sheet / MH3U Veggie Elder Ticket Guide
    • Options
      rockmonkeyrockmonkey Little RockRegistered User regular
      @Elvenshae @Auralynx & @CptHamilton
      You guys are awesome, thanks for the recommendations I have plenty to go on and look into.

NEWrockzomb80.jpg
    • Options
      BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
      edited September 2017
      neeevermind

BlazeFire on
    • Options
      Ken OKen O Registered User regular
      I live near Cool Stuff's warehouse store; I can just pick stuff up and not worry about shipping. From my experience the majority of Cool Stuff staff is made up of kids who are more interested in what Magic cards their friends are pulling from the latest booster packs than they are customer service.

Also due to the hurricane their sign currently reads "Cool Stuff Gams".

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
      Comics, Games, Booze