As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Torgairon wrote: »
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    I think Forbidden Desert was one of my first ventures into board games; it might be good to try to get them to play a co-op game first? That way there's no risk of somebody losing badly early on and deciding they don't like other boardgames besides Munchkin.

we're a reasonably competitive core group, to our detriment when playing something like munchkin where "competitive" = constantly dethroning the guy who's about to win and pissing people off by turns. it's tempting to try something like War of the Ring or Twilight Imperium because I know I can sell them on the complexity, but there's always the chance that it turns out our resident munchkin "strategists" are really just happy to min-max a very simple game and not something that'll actually challenge us.

Sounds like they'll love cosmic encounter, although it's only very slightly better as a game as it includes a mechanic for just declaring a shared victory and ending the whole tawdry affair.

What size is the group? And are there any themes that would be massive turn offs?

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

Sounds like they'll love cosmic encounter, although it's only very slightly better as a game as it includes a mechanic for just declaring a shared victory and ending the whole tawdry affair.

What size is the group? And are there any themes that would be massive turn offs?

my brother and my roommate are the other core players, usually we have a 4th as well.

cutesy or rustic themes are probably out, my roommate is the munchkin fanatic and I can't see him gravitating to anything that isn't suitably "badass", which was why I immediately looked at the epic war game stuff. aside from my roommate, everyone in the group plays in the D&D sessions I DM for, so I was looking at lords of waterdeep and dragonfire too.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    EpimerEpimer Registered User regular
    PMAvers wrote: »
    Oh shit the Imperial Assault app is finally happening.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2017/11/20/legends-of-the-alliance/

My wallet hurts.

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    I know we're all guilty of the temptation to go off brief in game recommendations due to personal enthusiasm, but 'We're just graduating from Munchkin and looking for something not too complex,' to 'Twilight Imperium!' is such an inappropriate leap it's laughable.

Sounds to me like Lords of Waterdeep is a solid choice. Graduating from 'take that' card play to something with a bit more strategy, but easy to grasp, a comfortably familiar theme and still some small element of 'take that' on the side.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    I think my journey of games to TI3 was something like
    (Monopoly, etc.) -> Risk -> Munchkin -> Catan -> Axis and Allies -> Puerto Rico -> TI3

my brother and my roommate are the other core players, usually we have a 4th as well.

cutesy or rustic themes are probably out, my roommate is the munchkin fanatic and I can't see him gravitating to anything that isn't suitably "badass", which was why I immediately looked at the epic war game stuff. aside from my roommate, everyone in the group plays in the D&D sessions I DM for, so I was looking at lords of waterdeep and dragonfire too.

Maybe Race for the Galaxy? It's not hugely interactive outside of trying to guess what other players will do to maximise your own efficiency but is a nice simple game with a huge well of complexity, a couple of expansions if you find yourself wanting more, and a sci-fi 4x theme (which is probably second only to Dominion in terms of relevancy though).

Sounds like Risk Legacy might be down your street too.

I'm struggling a bit with Munchkin's theme of 80's D&D jokes being labelled badass, so maybe I'm not the best source of recommendations.

• Options
    TorgaironTorgairon Registered User regular
    edited November 2017
    I think my journey of games to TI3 was something like
    (Monopoly, etc.) -> Risk -> Munchkin -> Catan -> Axis and Allies -> Puerto Rico -> TI3

Maybe Race for the Galaxy? It's not hugely interactive outside of trying to guess what other players will do to maximise your own efficiency but is a nice simple game with a huge well of complexity, a couple of expansions if you find yourself wanting more, and a sci-fi 4x theme (which is probably second only to Dominion in terms of relevancy though).

Sounds like Risk Legacy might be down your street too.

I'm struggling a bit with Munchkin's theme of 80's D&D jokes being labelled badass, so maybe I'm not the best source of recommendations.

I just didn't word that especially well. OG munchkin certainly isn't very hardcore or badass but to my roommate it's the height of strategy to save the "fuck you, this game isn't over until I say it's over!" cards until the end; basically, even if he liked D&D and knew the stereotypes, he still probably wouldn't get the irony of dragging out the rules and errata of a game that has purposefully vague rules just to make fun of that impulse, which he does every couple games regardless. the badass factor comes from the ease of play and ease of screwing over other people, so after months of it I'm ready to graduate to a new and potentially more interesting game that'll at least make him work for it and justify metagame/strategic discussions. I don't think I can have another of those types of post-game discussions centered around a round of munchkin without my eyes rolling out of their sockets.

Torgairon on
  • Options
    BogartBogart Streetwise Hercules Registered User, Moderator mod
    Lords of Waterdeep and Tokaido are excellent and easy to understand steps up from, say, Munchkin.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Was down at my FLGS and they had a half-dozen copies of Charterstone in-store.

I heard that 'international' markets were getting it before US/Canada, but I just assumed that meant Europe. It's just so unexpected, I was completely caught by surprise to see it here before 2018. Ah well, at least now I have one more thing to put on my Christmas list.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    ...TI4 was a joke suggestion, though it is very good.

Cutthroat Caverns might appeal to said roommate.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    The Gloomhaven adventure continues, without having even played a game yet. My wife and I spent 1.5 hours last night organizing components. I think we're ready to play a game this weekend now.

• Options
    Surfpossum wrote: »
    ...TI4 was a joke suggestion, though it is very good.

Cutthroat Caverns might appeal to said roommate.

A joke and the correct decision

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    The Gloomhaven adventure continues, without having even played a game yet. My wife and I spent 1.5 hours last night organizing components. I think we're ready to play a game this weekend now.

I look forward to the statutory "Jesus this first mission is hard," post.

• Options
    Auralynx wrote: »

Before we backed it, we tried out a scenario on tabletop simulator get a feel for it and see if we would like it. I think we made it 3 turns before we got murdered. Looking forward to the real deal! :)

• Options
    AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »

Before we backed it, we tried out a scenario on tabletop simulator get a feel for it and see if we would like it. I think we made it 3 turns before we got murdered. Looking forward to the real deal! :)

In all seriousness, if you're playing a two-man team I strongly suggest that one of the two be Cragheart or Brute. Helps a bit.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular

I...really need to get started back in on painting my IA minis. I don't think I've touched the paints in over a year at this point, to my great shame. I got disappointed with how my hovertank was coming out, and that combined with a physical impediment of some of my roommate's junk being in the way of my painting desk completely killed my momentum.

IA app looks super hype though.

• Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    does anyone have suggestions regarding newb-friendly (yet not painfully simple) board games for a group that doesn't have a lot of experience? I want to see if I can get my group to move away from mostly playing munchkin and its thousands of flavors, which I badly need a break from.

edit: just checked the OP...oops. I guess I'll leave the post alone since maybe you guys will have other suggestions

Small World and Nexus Ops would be my recommendations, staying in the directly interactive space as Munchkin. They're both quite easy to pick up, feature directly murdering each other, and are approximately a hojillion times better than Munchkin

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular
    In what feels more board games news than Warhammer news, Shadespire has hit our club hard. It's a great quick game. Simple rules yet strategic play. Nice combo of dice/card luck and strategy. Fixed models with customisable card decks hits a nice middle ground in the list building stakes. Awesome minis with simple push fit building and a manageable enough model count to encourage painting.

We've got so many games going on I've started an ELO rating league.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Jesus. Got out of January of Pandemic Legacy S2 by the seat of our pants. Literally the last possible turn before disaster...

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    BrainleechBrainleech 機知に富んだコメントはここにあります Registered User regular
    Fry wrote: »

I...really need to get started back in on painting my IA minis. I don't think I've touched the paints in over a year at this point, to my great shame. I got disappointed with how my hovertank was coming out, and that combined with a physical impediment of some of my roommate's junk being in the way of my painting desk completely killed my momentum.

IA app looks super hype though.

I still would like to know more about Star Wars Legion.

• Options
    TheBlackWindTheBlackWind Registered User regular
    Hm, was trying to find something in the $30 range to get my Pandemic Season 2 order up to $100 for CSI shipping, but then I see T.I.M.E. Stories on sale on Amazon for $35...

This is quickly turning into one of those days.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Hm, was trying to find something in the $30 range to get my Pandemic Season 2 order up to $100 for CSI shipping, but then I see T.I.M.E. Stories on sale on Amazon for $35...

Kingdomino was my last purchase, and Mountains of Madness will likely be my next. Both should bring you over that point.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Athenor wrote: »
    Jesus. Got out of January of Pandemic Legacy S2 by the seat of our pants. Literally the last possible turn before disaster...

Yea we completed the objectives with a single card left in the player draw pile. It was a pretty rough start.

• Options
    FishmanFishman Put your goddamned hand in the goddamned Box of Pain. Registered User regular
    Oooh, my Concordia arrived today. And our games night coincides with my birthday next week.

Perfect.

X-Com LP Thread I, II, III, IV, V
    That's unbelievably cool. Your new name is cool guy. Let's have sex.
  • Options

Kingdomino was my last purchase, and Mountains of Madness will likely be my next. Both should bring you over that point.

Oooh, Lovecraft stuff is extremely in my friend group's wheelhouse, AND we kinda wanted a game we could act out, so I think Mountains of Madness will do just fine. Thanks!

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    Mikey CTSMikey CTS Registered User regular
    My friends and I have been playing Pandemic Legacy Season 1! We just reached April this weekend.
    What? Seriously?! I did not expect it to go there...

// PSN: wyrd_warrior // MHW Name: Josei //
  • Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Lykouragh wrote: »
    Anyone willing to talk me out of buying the Expanse boardgame, Blood Rage, or Sidereal Confluence?

First kickstarter or second?

If the first, anyone else recieved second kickstarter order yet? Today was suppose to be the last day of shipping out product to US, but since they are not backerkit, i have no idea where i am in the process.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    i just watched the SUSD TI4 review

fuck

• Options

Oooh, Lovecraft stuff is extremely in my friend group's wheelhouse, AND we kinda wanted a game we could act out, so I think Mountains of Madness will do just fine. Thanks!

Make sure your group is okay with physical contact. But otherwise it is awesome, as long as your timer isn't busted like our store demo copy is.

• Options
    edited November 2017
    Damnit. Apparently Harmonix had the Dropmix promo card (the Transformers) at PAX Unplugged. I really, really want that card. :(

Edit: AND Gamestop has it as a promo if you pick up the game. Gobledygook.

Athenor on
  • Options
    Custom SpecialCustom Special I know I am, I'm sure I am, I'm Sounders 'til I die!Registered User regular
    Damnit. Apparently Harmonix had the Dropmix promo card (the Transformers) at PAX Unplugged. I really, really want that card. :(

If you don't already have all/most of the Discover packs, you can just order 1 pack for 4.99 from Gamestop and it says it ships with the Transformers card (I am very much considering this). Or try picking up a pack in store so you can get one you need and maybe the store still has promos left?

XBL: F4ll0utBP | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • Options

If you don't already have all/most of the Discover packs, you can just order 1 pack for 4.99 from Gamestop and it says it ships with the Transformers card (I am very much considering this). Or try picking up a pack in store so you can get one you need and maybe the store still has promos left?

Gonna try the store. Thanks for the idea!

• Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    Brief PAX Unplugged impressions:

Root: Asymmetric area control. Charming! I only played a few rounds of one faction, and it seemed mostly good. There's a hint of the rules convolution of Vast, but it's not nearly as pronounced. The systems intersect in a lot of clever ways.

Bargain Quest: You're selling items to visiting heroes so they can fight monsters. Just. Great. Adorable, fast, simple. Really good light drafting game with a really pleasing theme and some fun decisions that require considering other players. The only game of the show I bought.

Human Era: Garbage. One of the worst social deduction games I've played. Randomness swung the win condition for either side basically every round, despite the "bad" machine team basically being outed in the first couple of plays.

Favelas: Lay coloured tiles to try get more than other players, while adjusting the values of each colour. I liked it! I was tempted to buy it, but the con price was a bit high for a light game.

Alien Artifacts: Card engine-building game where you're developing tech to accrue points. Sorta Race for the Galaxy, sorta Imperial Settlers. Sorta dull. I mean, it's fine. It's fine.

Black Hole Council: Negotiation/deduction built around ordering planets into specific scoring brackets. Orange Machine and Don Eskridge's next game. Not sure what to make of this one yet. There seemed to be a lot (too much?) to think about during the negotiation phase.

Pie Town: Worker placement where your workers' strength increases/decreases based on what actions you choose. Gather fruit! Make pies! Don't let anyone figure out your secret recipe! I really wanted to like this. It started so strong, but the game is just too long and a lot of the mechanics seem kinda broken as you get further into the game.

Azul: Abstract tile-laying puzzle game. MAN. If this had been available for purchase, I'd have picked it up too, but it's out tomorrow, so no big loss. Just a really beautiful, tactile thinky game that has you planning on multiple fronts while also trying to counter other players. Deceptively simple. I could see this becoming my favourite abstract.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    I just got word that my Kickstarter of Peak Oil is shipping!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    SurfpossumSurfpossum A nonentity trying to preserve the anonymity he so richly deserves.Registered User regular
    i just watched the SUSD TI4 review

fuck
    EM

EM

As someone who has not watched said review but has spent a substantial amount of time playing TI3 (so, like, 6 times)

TI4 is real good.

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Yea we completed the objectives with a single card left in the player draw pile. It was a pretty rough start.

January is rough in general, I think; the mechanics of season two are just punishing if the RNG turns against you even slightly. We just one-shotted February tonight, though.

• Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular

Ooh, good call. A random Discover pack could definitely be worth it... although it does suck that they only sell the playlist packs random. Been trying to find Astro for ages. Although apparently the official store has a restock on them?

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    azith28 wrote: »
    Anyone willing to talk me out of buying the Expanse boardgame, Blood Rage, or Sidereal Confluence?

If the first, anyone else recieved second kickstarter order yet? Today was suppose to be the last day of shipping out product to US, but since they are not backerkit, i have no idea where i am in the process.

Second kickstarter. I'm in Canada.

• Options
    VisskarVisskar Registered User regular
    azith28 wrote: »

Still anxiously awaiting shipping info for the 2nd in Texas.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    I'd really like to get into Dropmix but the distribution on that stuff seems like a garbage fire.

PAD ID - 328,762,218
  • Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I'd really like to get into Dropmix but the distribution on that stuff seems like a garbage fire.

I mean, it seems to be fairly available in North America now, at least.