As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I was thinking of giving Charterstone to my wife for her birthday. She loves Legacy games and her favorite game is Stone Age, so I think it would work for her. The major concern is that we would only be able to play with 3 players. Every review says you want to have at least 4 which means adding an "automa". That just doesn't sound fun to me. She also likes to hoard resources and prevent others from doing certain things. This "bump" mechanic doesn't seem quite passive aggressive enough. Maybe we should try Stone Age with the bump mechanic before buying Charterstone. The love hut would be interesting and sooo very very sticky.

Dirk2112 on
    NNID = Zepp914
  • azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Darric wrote: »
    I disagree, I think Charterstone is a really good game to onboard someone into worker placement, as long as the skill levels between players aren't too disparate. The rules definitely escalate quickly beyond the first game, but it's never too crazy, and ultimately it's still a lot less complicated than anything remotely approaching Agricola. It's also just all fairly lighthearted and fun, and the campaign trappings are enough to carry people are perhaps less invested in the strategic Euro side of the game.

It might work as a tutorial as long as your group didnt mind going very slowly to explain each step as they go. Most concepts we have unlocked so far are familiar but mostly because ive seen it before. The first game already goes kind of slow due to the large number of pauses in gameplay that occur when a new rule is opened, or a crate is opened. Some people may get turned off by that, but if they go into it wanting to learn the game type, it would work.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • captainkcaptaink TexasRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Sunday plays:

Marvel Legendary: Used mostly my new Marvel Noir cards. The investigate mechanic lets you do a lot of looking at and manipulating your deck, which always feels so good when you do it right. Won in a squeaker, we almost ran out of the villain deck.

Dead of Winter: No traitor roles got handed out, but we still lost. More narrowly this time. This game is so unforgiving.

Betrayal at Baldur's Gate: Heroes won but my cleric died. We got the gnoll attack scenario and actually managed to cure the maddened traitor before they even had a turn. The classes in that game don't feel very balanced.

Secret Hitler: Liberals (me) won. We passed 4 liberal policies in a row. One of our fascists just fucked around for his only turn so that kind of doomed them in a 4v2 game. I think I prefer other hidden role games, though really, I don't like any of them much.

captaink on
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I was thinking of giving Charterstone to my wife for her birthday. She loves Legacy games and her favorite game is Stone Age, so I think it would work for her. The major concern is that we would only be able to play with 3 players. Every review says you want to have at least 4 which means adding an "automa". That just doesn't sound fun to me. She also likes to hoard resources and prevent others from doing certain things. This "bump" mechanic doesn't seem quite passive aggressive enough. Maybe we should try Stone Age with the bump mechanic before buying Charterstone. The love hut would be interesting and sooo very very sticky.

It's not quite like that. The Game is 6 players. you can play with less people but you WILL have automatic characters added to bring the total up to 6 from the first game and the game starts at game 3 to automate the non-playing characters so there board space is getting built into the game. Until then, they have their first basic building, and do nothing in the game. I don't think they actually play the game even at game 3, they just have a system for saying 'this character built x buildings this game, so decide amoung the players which crates they opened and buildings they built based on what was available'.

azith28 wrote: »

It's not quite like that. The Game is 6 players. you can play with less people but you WILL have automatic characters added to bring the total up to 6 from the first game and the game starts at game 3 to automate the non-playing characters so there board space is getting built into the game. Until then, they have their first basic building, and do nothing in the game. I don't think they actually play the game even at game 3, they just have a system for saying 'this character built x buildings this game, so decide amoung the players which crates they opened and buildings they built based on what was available'.

That doesn't sound like something we would ever want to play. Thanks for saving me the $$!

NNID = Zepp914
    ? I didn't intend for it to sound like a bad thing.

The game starts out with a mostly empty board, divided into 6 sections. as you build locations, and open crates associated with those locations, you unlock the ability to build different or upgraded versions of those buildings. each building you build is represented by a sticker you place on the board. The reason for the automatic placement for non playing people is so that section of the board isnt left completely empty. Also, each section has a resource type that it starts out with. you need the automation so that you arent lacking in that sections resource options.

I didn't know that the 6 sections were assigned to separate players. I thought players could build anywhere. I think it would probably take longer, but be more fun to play as 2 players each to get 6 players total. That way the cool stuff isn't added by Mr. and Mrs. Auto.

NNID = Zepp914
  • ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Pretty interesting article on game counterfeiting. I knew it existed but not to the extent they're talking about here. The section about how the counterfeiters do their market research is particularly thought provoking.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39296/icv2-interview-asmodee-execs-counterfeiting

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Pretty interesting article on game counterfeiting. I knew it existed but not to the extent they're talking about here. The section about how the counterfeiters do their market research is particularly thought provoking.

https://icv2.com/articles/news/view/39296/icv2-interview-asmodee-execs-counterfeiting

I had no idea the volumes were there to make it worthwhile

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Dirk2112 wrote: »
    I didn't know that the 6 sections were assigned to separate players. I thought players could build anywhere. I think it would probably take longer, but be more fun to play as 2 players each to get 6 players total. That way the cool stuff isn't added by Mr. and Mrs. Auto.

At least up through the end of the second game, we are suppose to only build stuff onto our own section. However, its not like each section is going to remain limited to its 'starting resource'. At the end of the second game, you have a limit to the possible buildings/crates/assistants that carry over into the next game. So something from your section goes back into the pool that anyone can buy, so you could end up building something in your section that isnt part of your starting resource. These rules may change in the future tho.

Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

I saw this link over the holiday. Guy shows the differences in the fake copy of Pandemic Legacy he got vs the real one.

https://imgur.com/a/oVhkJ

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular

I saw this link over the holiday. Guy shows the differences in the fake copy of Pandemic Legacy he got vs the real one.

Wow. That's horrible.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Wowow, that is crazy.

I am slightly amused that the typos are the same between the fake and real version. I guess that means they're using the same art assets, and just printing everything at a different facility. eta: read the article, apparently they can just scan the physical object at high enough quality to get a decent print job, isn't technology amazing?

Fry on
    I always assumed some of the employees printed extras or merged defective copies and then sold them on Ebay. This is a lot more involved.

I checked and I have an original copy of both Pandemic Legacy games even though I got both from Amazon. My wife wants to replay season 1. If I end up with a counterfeit copy, I don't know if I will mind since I have everything from the first copy. It would suck that Zman is missing out on money though.

NNID = Zepp914
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Wow.
    When I saw the article title I thought it was going to be similar to SD card counterfeits, which are basically runs off the same line doing official ones, just without QA and a poorer label job and during off-hours. I could have easily seen that in board game manufacturer's, just using cheaper stocks to save cost but easy since all the assets are on site.

Scanning it, and then manufacturing it, that's scary. I wouldn't have thought the profit margins and sales numbers would have made it worth the effort but apparently I'm wrong. Seeing the Legacy fake above definitely opens your eyes.

I'm going to make sure I've got the right sellers when I'm buying off Amazon. I don't usually shop elsewhere very often, but will more closely check those third party prices.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Wow.
    When I saw the article title I thought it was going to be similar to SD card counterfeits, which are basically runs off the same line doing official ones, just without QA and a poorer label job and during off-hours. I could have easily seen that in board game manufacturer's, just using cheaper stocks to save cost but easy since all the assets are on site.

Scanning it, and then manufacturing it, that's scary. I wouldn't have thought the profit margins and sales numbers would have made it worth the effort but apparently I'm wrong. Seeing the Legacy fake above definitely opens your eyes.

I'm going to make sure I've got the right sellers when I'm buying off Amazon. I don't usually shop elsewhere very often, but will more closely check those third party prices.

My understanding is there's no way to purchase from Amazon *and* evade counterfeits. Amazon's distribution process, I'm told, just puts all "Fulfilled By Amazon" products into the same warehouse bin. Though the website might make it seem that you're selecting between a legitimate item listed as "sold by Amazon.com" and a potentially counterfeit one sold by "China's Best Lo-Cost Supply Factory", the actual warehousing has both of those boxes in the same bin, and either one might be packaged and sent to you in the shipping process.

Edit: As evidence for this, I've seen numerous reports in the last year of counterfeit copies of Dominion and 7 Wonders that were purchased from Amazon itself, not just from a 3rd party FBA seller.

From the article:
    Asmodee wrote:
    We believe for some games, that more than 70% of all sales in the U.S. market have been counterfeit.

That only happens if the vast majority of copies in the Amazon supply chain is illegitimate.

Hedgethorn on
    I did not realize they bin everything together! That's not good. Can't tell who is selling the counterfeit items!

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    I mean, the vast majority of my games seem to come directly from the designer through Kickstarter nowadays...

But this definitely makes me wary of purchasing board games through Amazon (at least).

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    Support your local game store, you say?

DarkPrimus wrote: »

I'm all for supporting your local store, but They likely have just as much a chance to get a Counterfit version than Amazon. Maybe even moreso since they would probably be looking for the lowest prices they can find from the supplier.

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

That makes it seem like they're a weird mix of factory seconds and lashups to fill the gaps

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • HedgethornHedgethorn Associate Professor of Historical Hobby Horses In the Lions' DenRegistered User regular

That makes it seem like they're a weird mix of factory seconds and lashups to fill the gaps

Probably depends on the game. Dominion was the first case where I heard of widespread counterfeiting -- for that, you just need a decent scanner, printer, card cutter, and box printer. Very easy to pass off as genuine, especially since most people won't be able to compare the card quality between the genuine article and the fake.

The Asmodee interview, though, indicates that they're now finding cases of counterfeit plastic molds, such as where someone has used genuine Ticket to Ride pieces as a base for making a brand new mold that they can then press trains from. That probably requires another order of magnitude in set up costs, and shows that someone in Asia thinks they can make serious bank selling knock offs.

I'm all for supporting your local store, but They likely have just as much a chance to get a Counterfit version than Amazon. Maybe even moreso since they would probably be looking for the lowest prices they can find from the supplier.

That's... not how suppliers work?

I mean they are looking for the supplier with the lowest cost.
    Which is more likely to be someone counterfitting.

I mean they are looking for the supplier with the lowest cost.
    Which is more likely to be someone counterfitting.

Store purchasing does not work like individual consumer purchasing.

For example, Alliance Game Distributors. They are the exclusive distributor of Asmodee North America, Wiz Kids/NECA, and Mayfair Games, to name a few. If you are a store in the United States that wants to sell board games from any of those game companies, Alliance is the only way for your store to legally purchase those games for resale. If a store was found to have been purchasing those games through some sort of grey or black market, they would be blacklisted from being able to purchase any products through Alliance, and could quite possibly face legal action from Alliance and the relevant game companies.

If you see a game from Mayfair Games at a lower price at one game store compared to another game store, that is because the game store with a lower price is willing to get a smaller return on that individual unit, in the hopes that the total sales overall will make up for that particular decreased profit. Unless you really want to suggest that it's normal for local game stores to violate legal contracts?

• VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    My team hit August in Pandemic Season 2 and had our first "soft objective" failure.
    We were not fast enough in exploring the Middle East, so it was done for us. Hopefully the only penalty here is the loss of the (admittedly amazing) unfunded event.

Also, holy shit. Things just picked up.

nedhf8b6a4rj.jpgsig.gif
    AC:NH Chris from Glosta SW-5173-3598-2899 DA-4749-1014-4697 @vyolynce@mastodon.social
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    My team hit August in Pandemic Season 2 and had our first "soft objective" failure.
    We were not fast enough in exploring the Middle East, so it was done for us. Hopefully the only penalty here is the loss of the (admittedly amazing) unfunded event.

Also, holy shit. Things just picked up.

We have completed all of the soft objectives so far, but
    with only 4 months to go, we are tempted to lose on purpose. There are a TON of cities left to search AND we haven't seen most of Asia or any of Australia yet. There could be 2 or 3 more RECONs for all I know.

NNID = Zepp914
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    For those who still play Star Wars: The Card Game, its end has officially been announced.

https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/1/10/promise-of-power-1/

I knew this was coming, because Destiny did so amazingly well and was closer to what people wanted from a Star Wars card game. Still, I think this game always lived in the shadow of Netrunner. Originally designed as co-op, feedback from playtesters and such made them re-do it as an asymmetric versus game. The deckbuilding was very unique, where you basically took pods of cards instead of hand choosing each individual card. It was all very abstract.

I'll own a complete set here shortly. And I'll be proud of that fact, as it is a good game.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Never had a chance to try that. I haven't really purchased a Star Wars tabletop game outside of X-Wing since Decipher's CCG. Definitely not buying into Destiny though. I'm done with blind packs.

Curious if it will go cheap now, or become more expensive as people try to fill out their collections.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Never had a chance to try that. I haven't really purchased a Star Wars tabletop game outside of X-Wing since Decipher's CCG. Definitely not buying into Destiny though. I'm done with blind packs.

Curious if it will go cheap now, or become more expensive as people try to fill out their collections.

This cycle's been pretty slow to release.. which is probably why the writing was on the wall.

A completely tourney-legal set includes:

2 cores
    2 copies of Edge of Darkness Deluxe (provides the Scum and Smuggler faction starters)
    1 copy of Balance of the Force Deluxe (multiplayer expansion)
    1 copy of Between the Shadows Deluxe (Scum/Jedi expansion)
    1 copy of Imperial Entanglements Deluxe (Imperial Navy / Smuggler expansion)
    1 copy of Galactic Ambitions (Sith / Rebel Alliance expansion)
    6 force packs per cycle:
    Hoth
    Echoes of the Force
    Rogue Squadron
    Endor
    Opposition
    Alliances

At MSRP, that is $800.

I would expect a lot of that to be on heavy discount.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
    Just saw this on YouTube, and thought it was neat. Figured I would share it since it includes a bit about designing board games or home rules and some here do that too.

https://youtu.be/fsrC79QV7cU

@Athenor Thanks for the rundown. I may start with two cores if they're at least decently balanced. Are the two copies of Edge of Darkness deluxe expansion because they introduce factions and you need the extra faction cards?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
    Just saw this on YouTube, and thought it was neat. Figured I would share it since it includes a bit about designing board games or home rules and some here do that too.

h.ttps://youtu.be/fsrC79QV7cU

Athenor Thanks for the rundown. I may start with two cores if they're at least decently balanced. Are the two copies of Edge of Darkness deluxe expansion because they introduce factions and you need the extra faction cards?

So they don't... introduce the factions, per se. The cores each have 1 pod each (6 cards) of Scum and Smugglers. But that's no where near the count of the other four factions. So you pretty much need Edge of Darkness to play those two factions "properly." -- Or at least get their foundational cards. And unlike the other deluxes, they only give you 1 copy of each pod, instead of 2 copies, so you need 2 deluxes.

• CarnarvonCarnarvon Registered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    Wow.

My understanding is there's no way to purchase from Amazon *and* evade counterfeits. Amazon's distribution process, I'm told, just puts all "Fulfilled By Amazon" products into the same warehouse bin. Though the website might make it seem that you're selecting between a legitimate item listed as "sold by Amazon.com" and a potentially counterfeit one sold by "China's Best Lo-Cost Supply Factory", the actual warehousing has both of those boxes in the same bin, and either one might be packaged and sent to you in the shipping process.

Edit: As evidence for this, I've seen numerous reports in the last year of counterfeit copies of Dominion and 7 Wonders that were purchased from Amazon itself, not just from a 3rd party FBA seller.

From the article:
    Asmodee wrote:
    We believe for some games, that more than 70% of all sales in the U.S. market have been counterfeit.

That only happens if the vast majority of copies in the Amazon supply chain is illegitimate.

Each item at amazon is scanned using an ASIN (amazon standard identification number) or using its UPC. If three people are selling say, Speed Stick, one of the sellers may be using the UPC and two of them using different ASINs, or all three may be using ASINs. This is how amazon tracks which seller owns what item inside the fulfillment center, otherwise amazon wouldn't know who owns which item (imagine if a pallet filled with items was destroyed; who pays for that to whom?).

Amazon Fulfillment Centers are basically three layer wal-marts with 2000+ aisles of shelving units, with items randomly distributed between them. The only time similar items are stuck together is if they're selling 200+ units a day from that particular FC (think cat food, diapers, popular toys).

Fake sellers get taken down quickly, so their accounts are always new and they more or less never ship FROM amazon. Easiest way to get around it is to click on the seller's name and look at their reviews and total sales. If they don't have 1000+ sales and good reviews, skip them! The other way to do it is to buy Prime shipping items, as those items are stored directly at the FC, and are much, much less likely to be fake.

I just got my kickstarter copy of Unstable Unicorns!

I sprung for a higher tier with the expansions, NSFW deck, and fancy box. It's pretty sweet. The box holds everything except the NSFW deck - though sleeving it will obviously ruin that.

Unfortunately, the shrink wrap around my NSFW deck melted somewhat, or something, and is stuck to the packaging. It's not a huge deal, but still kind of sad.

As far as NSFW stuff, the worst is probably dildos and a cartoon condom. Oh, and I guess the Unicorgy. But really, none of the artwork is NSFW, just suggestive and with some dirty words. Cards Against Humanity is WAY worse.

• ChiselphaneChiselphane Registered User regular
    Gloomhaven question: Have any of you solved the secret code thing that's scattered throughout the game? I gather it's ultimately an anagram you entire into Cephalofair's website

• Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Amazon has Earth Reborn for $40, so I bought a copy. Don't know why since literally no one will ever play it with me, but it's been a lust object of mine for many years now and I had a $40 Amazon gift card from Christmas sitting around.

So if you want a totally fucking insane 2p tactical Miniatures combat game maybe check it out.

Parents coming over tonight. Deciding what game to offer to play is hard.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    Real quick, what are your favorite hidden role/social deduction games?

I have Resistance: Avalon, Insider, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, Resistance: Coup, Two Rooms and a Boom, Secrets, Spyfall, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Love Letter. I still haven't played a few of those, and I need to play all of them more to understand the gameplay better.

This may have everything to do with contemplating pitching a military version to a company but knowing that I need to play to understand the strengths and weaknesses of social deduction on a higher level.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    My favorite is Insider, which is 20 questions but also there's a baddie who knows the word too. If no one gets the word within the time limit everyone loses (and the baddie super loses). Once the word is got then you have to figure out who the baddie was based on the questions people asked etc. So the Insider is trying to point you towards the right answer within the time limit but without being too obvious about it.

• FuselageFuselage Oosik Jumpship LoungeRegistered User regular
    I'm still sad that I haven't played Insider, but it really does seem like a solid game.

o4n72w5h9b5y.png