Club PA 2.0 has arrived! If you'd like to access some extra PA content and help support the forums, check it out at patreon.com/ClubPA
The image size limit has been raised to 1mb! Anything larger than that should be linked to. This is a HARD limit, please do not abuse it.
Our new Indie Games subforum is now open for business in G&T. Go and check it out, you might land a code for a free game. If you're developing an indie game and want to post about it, follow these directions. If you don't, he'll break your legs! Hahaha! Seriously though.
Our rules have been updated and given their own forum. Go and look at them! They are nice, and there may be new ones that you didn't know about! Hooray for rules! Hooray for The System! Hooray for Conforming!

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

19192949697100

Posts

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    I like Saboteur. You're miners hunting for treasure and some of the miners are saboteurs. The treasure could be in one of three slots and certain cards let you look but then who can trust what you say?

    sig.gif
    DarkPrimusVyolynce
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited January 12
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    My favorite is Insider, which is 20 questions but also there's a baddie who knows the word too. If no one gets the word within the time limit everyone loses (and the baddie super loses). Once the word is got then you have to figure out who the baddie was based on the questions people asked etc. So the Insider is trying to point you towards the right answer within the time limit but without being too obvious about it.

    I'm a wierdo who likes Secret Hitler.

    The only reason I don't played it anymore is because the DC gaming community has played it to death. The theme is adored here. The policy deck provides just enough prediction to provide an interesting "life span" to deceptions that create different play styles for the fascists (I'm a very, very, very slow fascist.) The time between the player eliminations and the conclusion is small enough to make the game interesting for all participants.

    EDIT - But tonight, I'm stoked for more Sidereal Confluence! I'm craving one more attempt at the Unity faction.

    Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • MNC DoverMNC Dover Game Designer/Stay-at-home Dad Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    BSG is my favorite hidden identity game, but it's not on your list. If I'm grabbing from your list, I'd go with Love Letter as it's the only one I've played. :P

    Twitch Page
    Hearthstone: mncdover#1994
    Nintendo Network ID: MNC.Dover
    3DS: 1934-0659-5183
    Steam ID
    HamHamJ
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    BSG is my favorite hidden identity game, but it's not on your list. If I'm grabbing from your list, I'd go with Love Letter as it's the only one I've played. :P

    The list is just what I have, I'm more than willing to find out new games in the genre. I'll give it a look!

  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    BSG is great but much mechanically meatier than most hidden role games.

    AuralynxMNC DoverDarkPrimusFry
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    Love Letter and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are the only 2 we have. They are my 8 year old's favorite games.

    NNID = Zepp914
    Fuselage
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    edited January 12
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Real quick, what are your favorite hidden role/social deduction games?

    I have Resistance: Avalon, Insider, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, Resistance: Coup, Two Rooms and a Boom, Secrets, Spyfall, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Love Letter. I still haven't played a few of those, and I need to play all of them more to understand the gameplay better.

    This may have everything to do with contemplating pitching a military version to a company but knowing that I need to play to understand the strengths and weaknesses of social deduction on a higher level.

    I like Spyfall quite a bit, especially as a warm-up game. It’s a deduction game but there’s not nearly the same kind of social aspect to it—there’s lying but not deception, if you see my meaning. So it’s less intense and also quick and you can play it on your phones, so anywhere.

    Astaereth on
    ACsTqqK.jpg
    Fuselage
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Real quick, what are your favorite hidden role/social deduction games?

    I have Resistance: Avalon, Insider, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, Resistance: Coup, Two Rooms and a Boom, Secrets, Spyfall, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Love Letter. I still haven't played a few of those, and I need to play all of them more to understand the gameplay better.

    This may have everything to do with contemplating pitching a military version to a company but knowing that I need to play to understand the strengths and weaknesses of social deduction on a higher level.

    I like Spyfall quite a bit, especially as a warm-up game. It’s a deduction game but there’s not nearly the same kind of social aspect to it—there’s lying but not deception, if you see my meaning. So it’s less intense and also quick and you can play it on your phones, so anywhere.

    I didn't even know Spyfall can be mobile! I'll check that out! What I like about the Spyfall/Insider side is that it involves less yelling with your friends.

  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    Love Letter is a hidden role game?

    My favorite is definitely BSG but Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are also good.

    I fing hate Shadowhunters.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
  • AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    Fuselage wrote: »
    Real quick, what are your favorite hidden role/social deduction games?

    I have Resistance: Avalon, Insider, Don't Mess With Cthulhu, Resistance: Coup, Two Rooms and a Boom, Secrets, Spyfall, Deception: Murder in Hong Kong and Love Letter. I still haven't played a few of those, and I need to play all of them more to understand the gameplay better.

    This may have everything to do with contemplating pitching a military version to a company but knowing that I need to play to understand the strengths and weaknesses of social deduction on a higher level.

    I like Spyfall quite a bit, especially as a warm-up game. It’s a deduction game but there’s not nearly the same kind of social aspect to it—there’s lying but not deception, if you see my meaning. So it’s less intense and also quick and you can play it on your phones, so anywhere.

    I didn't even know Spyfall can be mobile! I'll check that out! What I like about the Spyfall/Insider side is that it involves less yelling with your friends.

    There’s an app, I think, but also just a website:

    http://spyfall.crabhat.com/ekpznl/

    ACsTqqK.jpg
    Fuselage
  • FuselageFuselage Bantha Three ValhallaRegistered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    Love Letter is a hidden role game?

    My favorite is definitely BSG but Avalon and One Night Ultimate Werewolf are also good.

    I fing hate Shadowhunters.

    I think my addition of Love Letter really highlights my ignorance of the genre/mechanic haha.

    Auralynx
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    My favorite is Insider, which is 20 questions but also there's a baddie who knows the word too. If no one gets the word within the time limit everyone loses (and the baddie super loses). Once the word is got then you have to figure out who the baddie was based on the questions people asked etc. So the Insider is trying to point you towards the right answer within the time limit but without being too obvious about it.

    I'm a wierdo who likes Secret Hitler.

    The only reason I don't played it anymore is because the DC gaming community has played it to death. The theme is adored here. The policy deck provides just enough prediction to provide an interesting "life span" to deceptions that create different play styles for the fascists (I'm a very, very, very slow fascist.) The time between the player eliminations and the conclusion is small enough to make the game interesting for all participants.

    EDIT - But tonight, I'm stoked for more Sidereal Confluence! I'm craving one more attempt at the Unity faction.

    Played Sidereal Confluence for the first time tomight. 6 player game an I choose Unity. I think I made some big mistakes. Because I only got 29 VP....

    Dirtmuncher on
    steam_sig.png
  • CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    My favorite is Insider, which is 20 questions but also there's a baddie who knows the word too. If no one gets the word within the time limit everyone loses (and the baddie super loses). Once the word is got then you have to figure out who the baddie was based on the questions people asked etc. So the Insider is trying to point you towards the right answer within the time limit but without being too obvious about it.

    I'm a wierdo who likes Secret Hitler.

    The only reason I don't played it anymore is because the DC gaming community has played it to death. The theme is adored here. The policy deck provides just enough prediction to provide an interesting "life span" to deceptions that create different play styles for the fascists (I'm a very, very, very slow fascist.) The time between the player eliminations and the conclusion is small enough to make the game interesting for all participants.

    EDIT - But tonight, I'm stoked for more Sidereal Confluence! I'm craving one more attempt at the Unity faction.

    Played Sidereal Confluence for the first time tomight. 6 player game an I choose Unity. I think I made some big mistakes. Because I only got 29 VP....

    I did so and ended a game with 13. This happened primarily because a starter card was sitting in my technology deck. It was my source of Ultratech, which could have made me a lot of profit, especially in this game. I was too enthralled to be salty about it though.

    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • FryFry Registered User regular
    I like Saboteur. You're miners hunting for treasure and some of the miners are saboteurs. The treasure could be in one of three slots and certain cards let you look but then who can trust what you say?

    Saboteur 2 is way, way better than Saboteur, IMO.

  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    To me Spyfall is about the only hidden role game worth playing, because you actually have to be creative and have conversations beyond just 'Are you the spy?' 'No. Are YOU the spy?' 'No.'

    Fuselage
  • admanbadmanb the bored genie Seattle, WARegistered User regular
    To me Spyfall is about the only hidden role game worth playing, because you actually have to be creative and have conversations beyond just 'Are you the spy?' 'No. Are YOU the spy?' 'No.'

    It's a really cool hybrid between hidden role games like Resistance and persuasive role games like Snake Oil/Funemployment.

    FuselageAstaerethAuralynx
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    To me Spyfall is about the only hidden role game worth playing, because you actually have to be creative and have conversations beyond just 'Are you the spy?' 'No. Are YOU the spy?' 'No.'

    I like insider because it gives you a thing to do, which in turn gives you enough of a framework to hang some actual discussions about who asked what and why on.

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
    Fuselage
  • Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular
    To me Spyfall is about the only hidden role game worth playing, because you actually have to be creative and have conversations beyond just 'Are you the spy?' 'No. Are YOU the spy?' 'No.'

    That sounds like something a spy would say.

    NNID = Zepp914
    FuselageTimFijimysticjuicerMNC DoverFryElvenshaeadmanbVyolynceBrody
  • wonderpugwonderpug Registered User regular
    Deception: Murder in Hong Kong is probably my favorite from the ones you listed. At least with my gaming group, with most of these games it's hard to get people talking and theorizing enough to make the genre shine. With Hong Kong it's totally different. Everyone is up and out of their seats looking all around the table at all the cards, and everyone's actively talking, accusing, counter-accusing. The only downside for me is how dependent the game is on having a good cluegiver. We've had a few games where we get through a lengthy session only to find that the cluegiver made terrible choices at the start and there really was never any hope for the good guys.

  • Custom SpecialCustom Special Registered User regular
    I got a crazy deal on Mansions of Madness 2e from a local Facebook group last weekend. My wife and I barely beat the first scenario in two sessions (so we got to see how saving works...sort of). Last night we played scenario 2 (Innsmouth) and it was fun, but we had some really bad rolls early in the game (like my wife rolling full blanks on 4 dice more than once). I think we'll try it again soon and maybe share a third investigator.

    Overall we really like the game. Unsurprisingly, my wife said that she doesn't love the Lovecraft theme (too creepy/occult). I was trying to think of a game that would work similarly with a new theme, and a Sherlock Holmes clue gathering game like this would be pretty sweet! Or just any more generic fantasy/sci-fi/modern theme might work better for us. But I know that all the Arkham/Lovecraft stuff is so popular right now, I doubt it would happen any time soon.

    XBL: F4ll0ut Wolfoid | STEAM | PSN : CustomSpecial | Bnet: F4ll0ut#1636
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited January 13
    We've played Vast again, and it struck me how hard the Knight has it at the start to hit the Dragon, especially a wary one. If the Dragon is hiding on a Dark tile, the Knight has to:

    - Have enough cubes to move (probably at least one)
    - Have one cube on Perception for two encounters (one to open the tile, another for the dragon attack)
    - Have one cube on the Bomb action
    - Have at least one cube on Strength (optional if you're feeling like rolling the Dice and the Dragon has one armor)

    I feel like the Cave really needs to help the Knight more than the others.

    Wearingglasses on
  • DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    Cantido wrote: »
    Cantido wrote: »
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    My favorite is Insider, which is 20 questions but also there's a baddie who knows the word too. If no one gets the word within the time limit everyone loses (and the baddie super loses). Once the word is got then you have to figure out who the baddie was based on the questions people asked etc. So the Insider is trying to point you towards the right answer within the time limit but without being too obvious about it.

    I'm a wierdo who likes Secret Hitler.

    The only reason I don't played it anymore is because the DC gaming community has played it to death. The theme is adored here. The policy deck provides just enough prediction to provide an interesting "life span" to deceptions that create different play styles for the fascists (I'm a very, very, very slow fascist.) The time between the player eliminations and the conclusion is small enough to make the game interesting for all participants.

    EDIT - But tonight, I'm stoked for more Sidereal Confluence! I'm craving one more attempt at the Unity faction.

    Played Sidereal Confluence for the first time tomight. 6 player game an I choose Unity. I think I made some big mistakes. Because I only got 29 VP....

    I did so and ended a game with 13. This happened primarily because a starter card was sitting in my technology deck. It was my source of Ultratech, which could have made me a lot of profit, especially in this game. I was too enthralled to be salty about it though.

    Don't get me wrong, I am not salty at all :) Can't wait to try Unity again. In the first two turns nobody saw the worth of my wild cubes. During later rounds I loaned out converters that I wasn't using and take any cubes for a small fee. I think I tanked my economy by trying to get all my unique converters into play and not having any resources to run them when I finally had them out.

    I brought my copy of Sidereal Confluence to gamenight and we had a 6 player game. Everyone liked it but we will still need a few plays to really get to grips with it.

    My only gripe are the cubes. Why choose the colours black, grey, white and brown for resource cubes.
    White, orange, purple and brown might have been more easily discernable.

    steam_sig.png
    ArcSynAh_Pook
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yessssss getting Liberty or Death to table today!!!!

    mysticjuicerMNC DoverHedgethorn
  • HamHamJHamHamJ Registered User regular
    We've played Vast again, and it struck me how hard the Knight has it at the start to hit the Dragon, especially a wary one. If the Dragon is hiding on a Dark tile, the Knight has to:

    - Have enough cubes to move (probably at least one)
    - Have one cube on Perception for two encounters (one to open the tile, another for the dragon attack)
    - Have one cube on the Bomb action
    - Have at least one cube on Strength (optional if you're feeling like rolling the Dice and the Dragon has one armor)

    I feel like the Cave really needs to help the Knight more than the others.

    I'm pretty sure one encounter point encounters everything in the tile.

    While racing light mechs, your Urbanmech comes in second place, but only because it ran out of ammo.
    VyolynceSageinaRageCampyZombie Hero
  • SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    The knight also really ramps up in strength as the game goes on, I've played where the knight didn't do any damage to the dragon until the last turn, where the knight had enough actions and strength to kill it in one turn. The dragon has the advantage at the beginning, the knight does at the end.

    Campy
  • MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited January 14
    I've recently been getting into Shogi (thanks to Persona 5)! Which is surprising because I've hated Chess for 20 years! There's just so many more possibilities. I've always considered Chess more a game about what you can't do, while Shogi always has me going, "Ooooo, I could do this, this, this, or this".

    The only decent app I've been able to find for it is Shogi lv.100. Everything else is either in Japanese or some fake advertising app.

    MrBody on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    HamHamJ wrote: »
    We've played Vast again, and it struck me how hard the Knight has it at the start to hit the Dragon, especially a wary one. If the Dragon is hiding on a Dark tile, the Knight has to:

    - Have enough cubes to move (probably at least one)
    - Have one cube on Perception for two encounters (one to open the tile, another for the dragon attack)
    - Have one cube on the Bomb action
    - Have at least one cube on Strength (optional if you're feeling like rolling the Dice and the Dragon has one armor)

    I feel like the Cave really needs to help the Knight more than the others.

    I'm pretty sure one encounter point encounters everything in the tile.

    Holy crap, we missed that bit. Thanks, the next game should be pretty interesting.

    Campy
  • FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    Played DUNE for the first time today. Not a big fan of the books, but thought the game was pretty good. Won as an Emperor (me)/ Harkkonen/ Bene Gesserit alliance after we stumbled onto the killer Sandblaster weapon & Bene Gesserit Voice combo. It's not a complex game by any means, the depth obviously coming from all of the interaction between the faction abilities. Definitely NOT game to play with slow-thinkers who need to carefully analyze every possible consequence before making a move.

  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I possibly ordered this procedurally generated t-shirt

    It might seem that we lost the battle
    But if no one wins the war
    Then why keep score
    MNC DoverCantidoElvenshaeAuralynxToxFrySaurfangjakobaggermysticjuicer
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Registered User regular
    The Brass reprint/sequel has been delayed by a couple of months. Nobody would really bat an eyelid at a Kickstarter delay but to compensate they're throwing in a couple more of their weighted poker chips. Which is nice.

    Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    ElvenshaemysticjuicerCaptainPeacockCustom Special
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    We had a weird alliance in Dune where the guy who gets money when items are auctioned would turn around and feed money to his buddy who would then buy all the items so the opposing alliance couldn't have any

    Nobody complains online so we figured we must be getting a rule wrong but we couldn't find anything in the rulebook that we'd missed.

    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    We had a weird alliance in Dune where the guy who gets money when items are auctioned would turn around and feed money to his buddy who would then buy all the items so the opposing alliance couldn't have any

    Nobody complains online so we figured we must be getting a rule wrong but we couldn't find anything in the rulebook that we'd missed.

    No that sounds right. The Emperor gets all money from auctions. And the Emperor alliance power is to give people money at any time.

    I think it’s just not as good of a combo as it seems on paper. It means no new money is entering the alliance. The Emperor and his pal are just shifting their money around. It’s a net gain of zero while the other alliances spend nothing. For the Emperor to feel comfortable doing this means people probably overbid earlier in the game, a common new player mistake.

    Furthermore, bidding on every card that comes up is a great way to fill your hand with garbage or redundant cards, and the Atreides player should engineer that outcome as much as possible using their foresight power. Once the Emeperor alliance hands are full of cards they will have to use them to get rid of them, and the other players can then fill their hand at their leisure.

    Wolf of Dresden
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    Yeah they were able to fight enough to keep their hands free dumping a card every time. Probably more experienced players could have stopped it

    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Yeah, a big issue with new players and Dune tends to be early over bidding and the Fremen not chasing spice blows hard enough. The overbidding specifically makes the Emperor become a monster. As most factions I won’t bid more than one spice on an item unless some kind of emergency is going on.

    If the Emperor and his allies were rich enough to sustain six battles per turn something went wrong, most likely the Fremen not throttling the flow of spice to try and keep the entire game spice poor along with over bidding.

    Between traitors, BG voice, Atreides precog, the cost and slowness of recovering troops, and the cost of landing troops the Emperor and allies should have been paying dearly for such aggression.

  • AthenorAthenor Who needs lions when you have a battlecruiser? Registered User regular
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Yeah, a big issue with new players and Dune tends to be early over bidding and the Fremen not chasing spice blows hard enough. The overbidding specifically makes the Emperor become a monster. As most factions I won’t bid more than one spice on an item unless some kind of emergency is going on.

    If the Emperor and his allies were rich enough to sustain six battles per turn something went wrong, most likely the Fremen not throttling the flow of spice to try and keep the entire game spice poor along with over bidding.

    Between traitors, BG voice, Atreides precog, the cost and slowness of recovering troops, and the cost of landing troops the Emperor and allies should have been paying dearly for such aggression.

    ... I wanna translate this into Rex so I can give advice to new players on that. :)

    iLaXVZ7.png
    Official member of the Grilling Gentry

    "Brevity is the soul of getting your shit read." - Tube
    Rarely-updated Collecting blog
    mysticjuicer
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    I think it was three on two to boot, alliance card start of turn two

    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Rex has some key differences, like two resource spawns a turn (I think) instead of one in Dune, but;

    Lazax: Emperor
    Sol: Fremen
    Jol-Nar: Atreides
    Hacan: Guild
    Xxcha: BG (Bene Gesserit)
    Letnev: Harkonnen

  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies Registered User regular
    So help me figure out how this works. If the emperor's ally bids one or two on every item, and the emperor gives the ally all his money at the start of every auction, how much will that cost them a turn? They lose some of the money somehow, or else they just run into hand size troubles and it costs money to fight, or...?

    I may try to suggest we pull Rex off the shelf and I need all my ducks in a row for the ensuing argument

    sig.gif
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    All my advice is for Dune as I played Rex once and did not like it very much.

    Player A is Emperor, player B is ally, player C is outside of Alliance.

    A wins a bid, the spice goes back to the bank. The alliance net loses spice.

    B the wind the bid, the spice goes to A. The alliance is net neutral in spice.

    C the wind the bid, the spice goes to A. The alliance is net positive in spice.

    Only people without a full hand can bid, and a number of cards are flipped equal to the number of players able to bid.

    Therefore the Emperor alliance must have six open card slots to shut all other players out. Which means they are fighting a ton, exposing themselves to leader loss and reprisals, discarding power hands, using power cards at inopportune times, etc. Just to shut other players out of cards, all while most likely net losing spice to do so.

    Like, the Emperor’s allies are usually well armed, but a full blown item blockade is inefficient and implies a lot of trust that no one is going to swap allegiances when a shai hulud hits.

  • mysticjuicermysticjuicer I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited January 15
    That last paragraph made me so happy to read. I love the shit boardgames make you say! :lol:

    mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring Yomi tournament commentary and tutorials!
    Inquisitor
Sign In or Register to comment.