As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    ElvenshaeElvenshae Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »
    Ketar wrote: »
    Awwww yea! Eldritch Horror has shipped and is on the way! By the end of the day Tuesday! Much hype!

(I continue to fuel my new addiction. It was sold out last night and the only copies available were upwards of $80 and the Prime-authorized sellers were charging $100. That allowed me to justify my purchase when two Amazon-sold, actually affordable copies came back in stock this morning. I keep reading opinions that the Forsaken Lore expansion essentially completes the base game and should have been included in the first place, so I may look into that in the near future.)

I feel like an enabler right now, but have you checked out CoolStuffInc, Miniature Market, or Funagain Games yet?

I tend to compare prices between those three and Amazon when buying board games online. And then try to hold off on making a purchase until there's enough I really want from any particular site to get their free shipping.

I haven't! And it looks like they have tons of stock, too. Oh boy. I'll definitely bookmark these sites. I do like Amazon Prime's free two-day delivery, though, especially because they usually ship out of a warehouse that's close enough for my orders to arrive in a single day.

Miniature Market ships free at $100 and will let you hold purchases for shipping until you hit the threshold. And they're usually a fair sight cheaper than Amazon.

They're super nice, too. I've got a clearance version of Hyperborea and Baseball Highlights waiting for me to hit that hundo.

Okay, that sounds great. Their prices for Concordia and Arabian Nights are cheaper than what I paid on Amazon, too. Do the other two sites you named have that feature? Because it sounds like Miniature Market is the one to go to.

@Dashui

CoolstuffInc also does the free-shipping-at-$100 thing, and also has a Customer Loyalty program where the more you spend with them, the more the give you off your order (it's a couple percentage points for most things, but a pretty decent discount if you ever find yourself buying singles of M:TG (or similar) or miniatures).

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    So I'm moving.

Packing my games today. I filled three "large" size Home Depot moving boxes today with just the games I had relegated to the basement...

The games I actually try to play are being packed in smaller, stronger boxes, and we're on box 5 and there's still more in the closet.

I may have a problem.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    PMAversPMAvers Registered User regular
    Well, yeah, you obviously need more boxes.

persona4celestia.jpg
    COME FORTH, AMATERASU! - Switch Friend Code SW-5465-2458-5696 - Twitch
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    If you ordered an awkwardly sized game from Amazon they would probably ship it in an overly large box that could fit a number of your other games as well for moving.

You know what you have to do.

• Options
    Seven. Seven smaller sized boxes, plus Mechs vs Minions by itself.

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    Ketar wrote: »
    Awwww yea! Eldritch Horror has shipped and is on the way! By the end of the day Tuesday! Much hype!

(I continue to fuel my new addiction. It was sold out last night and the only copies available were upwards of $80 and the Prime-authorized sellers were charging $100. That allowed me to justify my purchase when two Amazon-sold, actually affordable copies came back in stock this morning. I keep reading opinions that the Forsaken Lore expansion essentially completes the base game and should have been included in the first place, so I may look into that in the near future.)

I feel like an enabler right now, but have you checked out CoolStuffInc, Miniature Market, or Funagain Games yet?

I tend to compare prices between those three and Amazon when buying board games online. And then try to hold off on making a purchase until there's enough I really want from any particular site to get their free shipping.

I haven't! And it looks like they have tons of stock, too. Oh boy. I'll definitely bookmark these sites. I do like Amazon Prime's free two-day delivery, though, especially because they usually ship out of a warehouse that's close enough for my orders to arrive in a single day.

Miniature Market ships free at $100 and will let you hold purchases for shipping until you hit the threshold. And they're usually a fair sight cheaper than Amazon.

They're super nice, too. I've got a clearance version of Hyperborea and Baseball Highlights waiting for me to hit that hundo.

Okay, that sounds great. Their prices for Concordia and Arabian Nights are cheaper than what I paid on Amazon, too. Do the other two sites you named have that feature? Because it sounds like Miniature Market is the one to go to.

Nope! I think you can finangle a way with Cool by like doing a pre-order and then adding stuff later before it ships.

• Options
    BedlamBedlam Registered User regular
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Seven! Seven smaller sized boxes! AH AH AH!

xeorcKH.png

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Just signed up for my first Megagame! Bring it on :D

Colossus of Atlantis. Sounds interesting.

EDIT: for locals, it's in Seattle on the 24th. Being put on by the Seattle Megagame Society. Tickets are going fast!

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
    No one showed up to the board game Meetup at the store that's suppose to host them, so I walked out of there with The Castles of Burgundy and Tokaido's Crossroads expansion. I ordered some Swan Panasia card sleeves for Inis today, too. All that's left is to eventually get Eldritch Horror's Forsaken Lore expansion and I will finally, finally be sated!

...Dead of Winter, Roll for the Galaxy, and King of Tokyo do look pretty neat, though. ;_;

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    Elvenshae wrote: »
    I

"Magic Pink" I'd love to hear your ideas for tweaks!

A: There's a LOT of tweaks.

But after going through them all I like these:

If playing with less than four players, remove one chest from each entry on a door card.

Minions give the boss they're attached to free rerolls (up to the number of minions still alive) of any blank yellow dice that come up

Transmutation gives you a new item of the same level, not one higher.

Every time you activate a new tile, spawn a Guard (of the new level) on the OLD tile's level token

I highly suggest randomly building the guard decks out of regular Mob cards along with ALL the Agent cards so the distribution is the same as what's listed in the manual for the base game.

• Options
    PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i played roll for the galaxy on vacation and i came back home to the copy i bought and am storing for my friend and gasp! It is Race, not Roll : (

sig.gif
  • Options
    MrBodyMrBody Registered User regular
    edited September 2017

Make sure you also get Forsaken Lore right away. A lot of the decks were sparse in the base game and Forsaken Lore expands existing decks to what they should have been in the first place. It's definitely a mandatory expansion. (just be sure to throw Yig's Serpent Crown mystery card straight into the garbage)

I honestly can't recommend any other expansion. The new stuff they add ranges from uninteresting to actively undoing all the brilliant streamlining that Eldritch improved upon Arkham with (the unique asset decks can die a slow, painful death).

MrBody on
  • Options
    iguanacusiguanacus Desert PlanetRegistered User regular
    Also, throw out whatever that hateful card of Azathoth's that makes you shuffle a completed mystery back into the deck. It's just stupid and just makes the game longer and unfun.

I also sometimes take out any of the cards that make you basically lose a turn for the same reason.

• Options
    That's not an Azathoth card. It's just a generic mythos card.

Honestly though, there are a LOT nastier mythos cards with the expansions (everyone impair their highest skill 3 times, lots of other stuff that cripples instead of kills which is worse), another reason I wouldn't recommend expansions after Forsaken. FFG keeps listening to the hardcore grognards who memorize decks, count cards, and run cheese strategy games and constantly complain that the game is too easy and keeps needing to be harder. They listened to them for Arkham Horror and they listen to them now with Eldritch.

• Options
    CantideCantide Registered User regular
    It's been a long time since I last played Eldritch, but next time I do, I'll probably split the mythos cards up into easy/normal/hard, based on the symbols (hard=tentacles, I don't remember the notation for easy). Then I'll either use just the normals, or a set mix of cards, e.g. one easy and one hard for every two normal. Given the frequently massive difference between easy and hard effects, I don't like the idea that your several hour game might be doomed before the first turn because of an unlucky shuffle setting up the mythos deck.

• Options
    Well this is annoying. Black Orchestra, which was supposed to be shipped in August, was delayed until October, and has just been delayed again until December. The reason given is "manufacturing delays".

Especially annoying since this is just a (1.1 edition) reprint of an existing game while their brand new game, Farlight, had its Kickstarter a full month after Black Orchestra and has already been received by backers.

• Options
    Cantide wrote: »
    It's been a long time since I last played Eldritch, but next time I do, I'll probably split the mythos cards up into easy/normal/hard, based on the symbols (hard=tentacles, I don't remember the notation for easy). Then I'll either use just the normals, or a set mix of cards, e.g. one easy and one hard for every two normal. Given the frequently massive difference between easy and hard effects, I don't like the idea that your several hour game might be doomed before the first turn because of an unlucky shuffle setting up the mythos deck.

We adjust the mythos decks based on ancient ones. The hard ones (Cthulhu & Shub are currently the only ones we'd classify as hard) we take out all the hard cards. Average ones we don't take out anything. The easy ones (Abhoth, Hypnos, Yog Sototh) we take out the easy cards. The REALLY easy Azathoth we go nuts with a strict "anything goes" rule where no card is taken out, no matter how ridiculous.

One thing is there are some cards that definitely do not belong in their assigned category. The sickness rumor (spend clues in India to cure sickness) is labeled as hard but isn't that bad. The one that causes monster surges if you're on a gate is practically a freebie but is labeled normal. There are others but I can't remember off the top of my head.

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Good news: I got to demo the electronic version of vanilla Evolution today!

Bad news: I couldn't find a single person to run nets. I'm going to have to sell my collection.

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    I just backed another Kickstarter that I found through a Facebook ad post. Marketing at work!

It's called Scrimish: Pillars of Eternity. The game is around 10 minutes long and can best be described as a card-based Stratego. Each player has 25 cards and creates 5 stacks of 5 cards each. Then, a player chooses one card from his stacks to attack a card from the enemies stack. Both cards are revealed and the lower number is discarded. Cards value from 1-6 in attack value, or are a Shield or Bow. Bow beats whatever it attacks and loses to whatever attacks it (except Shield). Shield defeats anything that attacks it (both get discarded except Bows which flip back over) but can't attack. The game is over when any card attacks their opponent's hero card.

Seemed pretty cool and was only $10 (+$3 shipping) for a pack of two decks (one for each player). You can get two copies for $18 to support up to 4 players. Go ham and get a huge 8-player game going. Ships in December.

Anyway, just figured I'd help relieve some of you of your funds.

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    That weird game Consentacle from a few years ago is on Kickstarter atm, if anyone wants a 2p coop card game about a consenting lady and alien trying to fuck good. I'm tempted to back just because it's an oddity and the art is good, but I'm pretty sure it would never get played and it's kinda pricey I'm on the fence.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    I remember being really intrigued by Consentacle when I read about it on, I think it was SU&SD?

But I don't know if I actually want to buy a copy of it.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    i played roll for the galaxy on vacation and i came back home to the copy i bought and am storing for my friend and gasp! It is Race, not Roll : (

The good news is that Race for the Galaxy is excellent

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Game nights with friends on two consecutive weekends and we still didn't get Massive Darkness to the table. Primarily because each week 1 or 2 of the people most interested in playing either couldn't make it or canceled mid-evening. My other regular gamers are eager to play though, so we're going next time no matter what.

We did play Master of Orion once each night though, and I'm still trying to decide how I would rate it. I ended up winning both games by drawing the exact same building near the end and scoring enough points to put me over the top. It's a building worth 12 victory points if completed, and that was around 25% of my total points in an 8 round game tonight. Realistically it's just coincidence, and was enough to take me from second to first or assure staying in first - it wouldn't have been enough points for the players in 3rd or 4th to win in either game. It still gives the game a feeling of being somewhat too influenced by luck - drawing that card a round or two earlier would have probably made it impossible to use since I wouldn't have had enough resources to build it, and would have been unlikely to be able to afford keeping it for several rounds rather than recycling it. There also seems to be some significant imbalance in the racial abilities. It's hard to tell whether that's offset enough by increases/decreases in starting resources and how that affects getting your engine going. I still enjoy playing it after three games now, but I have concerns.

We also played a card game called Stroop that some of you may have heard of :P I've used it now to start a night of gaming, and to cap off a night of gaming. We've played it sober and we've played it in varying stages of drunkenness. 2-player and 4-player. It's a lot of fun no matter how you play it. Simple, yet challenging at times when the Stroop Effect really starts to get you. Chaotic at times with more players, but still fun for everyone. And the designer signed my copy at Gen Con so, you know, I've got that going for me 8-)

• Options
    edited September 2017
    When you're sleeving cards (Tokaido and its Crossroads expansion) and realize they no longer fit into their box inserts...

I'm a little bummed, but not enough to not sleeve them. I love the way the cards feel and look now encased in plastic. At least the Unearth cards fit perfectly.

Edit: Success! I had to move some things around and put the Crossroad characters in the base game box, but I got claimed victory in the end.

Dashui on
  • Options
    DirtmuncherDirtmuncher Registered User regular
    When you're sleeving cards (Tokaido and its Crossroads expansion) and realize they no longer fit into their box inserts...

I'm a little bummed, but not enough to not sleeve them. I love the way the cards feel and look now encased in plastic. At least the Unearth cards fit perfectly.

Well I don't want to push you any deeper into the rabbit hole, but you could try making a foam board insert.
    Also ziplock bags are a godsend.

steam_sig.png
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    In other important boardgame news we managed a game of five player TI3 yesterday. With three new players.

It took about six hours and @bogart managed a rules explanation in 32minutes.

It really pushed the table to its limits but we could just about fit cups of tea and glasses of port in place

@Rhesus Positive played the iconic space lions, I was the mental collective, Bogart was whoever gets that flat +1 combat bonus and we also had the war sun folk and filthy humans.

We used the II variants of the standard cards, wormhole nexus, flagships, racial techs and I think that was it

Game highlights included me blowing up a flagship with a cheeky deep space cannon volley, going heavy on action cards and failing a to draw anything of worth while other people pulled three signal jammings in a row, the last round being super tight as I finished a stage 2 objective and then failing to kill the bloody ground troop that blocked my secret objective letting the humans hit ten on the very same turn but behind me in the sequence and nobody ever managing to use Imperial 2 to claim a victory point for holding metacol rex

It's always excellent fun but is really exhausting (especially when you're trying to keep up a clip by keeping sight of the turn order)

From the forum game of TI4 I'm definitely on board with the removal of the tech tree, the addition of the construction card and the trade mods.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    @Magic Pink good news Lorenzo Il Magnifico is super good. One of the guys I played with said it reminded him a lot of Grand Austria Hotel, I haven't played that though. If you like really really tight and mean worker placement games you gotta check it out. The engine building is interesting, the dice are interesting, learning the decks is interesting... Just fun stuff all around.

I haven't won a game yet, though I did come close heh. My wife blew me up 102-71 in her first game which she quite enjoyed.

• Options

Edit: Success! I had to move some things around and put the Crossroad characters in the base game box, but I got claimed victory in the end.

Is this the standard or deluxe edition?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    Dominic Crapuchettes just signed my copy of Climate Evolution.

I'm so down for the digital edition Kickstarter on Tuesday!

3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Got a chance to sit down and fully read the rules for Liberty and Death.

Maybe it says a lot about the games I like to play but... this seems actually pretty simple to play! I didn't realize that half
    of the pages of the rulebook are dedicated to automatizing factions for solitaire to play.

• Options
    CaptainPeacockCaptainPeacock Board Game Hoarder Top o' the LakeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2017
    Today's menu:

Concordia
    Inis
    Ladies & Gentlemen

CaptainPeacock on
    Cluck cluck, gibber gibber, my old man's a mushroom, etc.
  • Options
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    From the forum game of TI4 I'm definitely on board with the removal of the tech tree, the addition of the construction card and the trade mods.

I think the commodities might be the best under the radar change to TI4. How often did people actually trade away trade goods in TI3? You usually spent them as soon as you got them. Once in a while you might trade one but that was it. Commodities now force you to trade in order for the things to be worth anything. Constant negotiations now. One of the weaknesses of TI3 was that the whole politicking promise never really materialized; trade goods were hardly ever traded and the political process was a dud.

(haven't seen the political agenda in action yet but refreshing the planets for the voting phase was a great move)

• Options
    Today's menu:

Concordia
    Inis
    Ladies & Gentlemen

Is it just me, or are the Gentlemen a lot more limited in their decisions for L&G? You automatically sell anything worth $300, then save the rest for contracts. You make the bill-paying call simply by trusting that your lady passes you what they need and just keeping what you can afford.

The lady makes all the calls trying to score the best possible combos while trying to keep other information from the other ladies and making the call on which categories you want to go for that turn.

• Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular
    I think it's part of the satire that the Ladies control all the real strategy.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    edited September 2017

It's the standard edition. The character card slots in both the original and expansion boxes were perfect for placing their respective sleeved cards. And then I just spread out the hero cards atop the base game insert. There was still enough room to put down the board and manual and have the box stay perfectly shut.

I've got Inis, Unearth, and Tokaido sleeved. I must sleeve more! The cards feel so nice in the hand with the plastic. Eldritch Horror and its Forsaken Lore expansion would be scary to do, though. I believe they collectively have more than 550 cards between them? Sweet mother...

Dashui on
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular

Well I don't want to push you any deeper into the rabbit hole, but you could try making a foam board insert.

Trying to cut foamboard is one of the world's biggest pains in the arse, tho.

• Options
    AthenorAthenor Battle Hardened Optimist The Skies of HiigaraRegistered User regular
    Fairchild wrote: »

Trying to cut foamboard is one of the world's biggest pains in the arse, tho.

I got a really nice dedicated foamboard knife. It's X-acto brand and can cut straight or at an angle.

He/Him | "A boat is always safest in the harbor, but that’s not why we build boats." | "If you run, you gain one. If you move forward, you gain two." - Suletta Mercury, G-Witch
  • Options
    FairchildFairchild Rabbit used short words that were easy to understand, like "Hello Pooh, how about Lunch ?" Registered User regular
    edited September 2017
  • Options
    AstaerethAstaereth In the belly of the beastRegistered User regular

It's the standard edition. The character card slots in both the original and expansion boxes were perfect for placing their respective sleeved cards. And then I just spread out the hero cards atop the base game insert. There was still enough room to put down the board and manual and have the box stay perfectly shut.

I've got Inis, Unearth, and Tokaido sleeved. I must sleeve more! The cards feel so nice in the hand with the plastic. Eldritch Horror and its Forsaken Lore expansion would be scary to do, though. I believe they collectively have more than 550 cards between them? Sweet mother...

Eldritch has a lot of non-standard card sizes, too.

ACsTqqK.jpg
  • Options
    PolaritiePolaritie Sleepy Registered User regular
    Astaereth wrote: »

Eldritch has a lot of non-standard card sizes, too.

Non standard? They're color coded...?

Steam: Polaritie
    3DS: 0473-8507-2652
    Switch: SW-5185-4991-5118
    PSN: AbEntropy