As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    azith28 wrote: »
    Well i was weeping more over the lack of girlfriend. I kinda wouldnt mind *one* child but its getting a bit late to consider that.

We had our first kid two years ago when I was 39 and the wife was 32. Her age mattered more and was in an OK range to have kids safely. You could always adopt too, there are plenty of kids out there that would love a home and family.

I honestly thought I was never going to get married or have a family. Funny how life can sometimes work out if you meet the right person. Good luck and don't get too down on yourself regardless of how things play out.

/real world talk

Adopt 7 kids and finally get that 8 player game of TI happening

If im going to go with that kind of investment I might as well take the Peter Potamus route and start my own Charity: The Peter Potamus home for hot unwed mothers.

Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    StragintStragint Do Not Gift Always DeclinesRegistered User regular
    My friends and I have been playing Risk Legacy. We just finished game 6 last night and it is a mess. My friend has very cleverly tricked everyone into thinking Australia starts are the huge problem while he puts a major city in Northern Africa and a Minor city in Brazil and every game he takes over both continents and gets a big bonus very quickly.

We have a blood feud going at this point.

Risk Legacy is really fun. Has anyone played Pandemic Legacy? Is it worth it?

PSN: Reaper_Stragint, Steam: DoublePitstoChesty
    What is the point of being alive if you don't at least try to do something remarkable? ~ Mario Novak

I never fear death or dyin', I only fear never trying.
  • Options
    HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    MNC Dover wrote: »
    Well i was weeping more over the lack of girlfriend. I kinda wouldnt mind *one* child but its getting a bit late to consider that.

We had our first kid two years ago when I was 39 and the wife was 32. Her age mattered more and was in an OK range to have kids safely. You could always adopt too, there are plenty of kids out there that would love a home and family.

I honestly thought I was never going to get married or have a family. Funny how life can sometimes work out if you meet the right person. Good luck and don't get too down on yourself regardless of how things play out.

/real world talk

Adopt 7 kids and finally get that 8 player game of TI happening

You may joke, but the payoff is real. I'm good on gaming buddies for at least the next 12 years. Hopefully more.

... The 6 year old needs to get better at reading and writing already. Them character sheets ain't gonna fill themselves out. Her brothers and I really need a 4th player.

HydroSqueegee on
    kx3klFE.png
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Stragint wrote: »
    My friends and I have been playing Risk Legacy. We just finished game 6 last night and it is a mess. My friend has very cleverly tricked everyone into thinking Australia starts are the huge problem while he puts a major city in Northern Africa and a Minor city in Brazil and every game he takes over both continents and gets a big bonus very quickly.

We have a blood feud going at this point.

Risk Legacy is really fun. Has anyone played Pandemic Legacy? Is it worth it?

Pandemic legacy is fantastic.

• Options
    Ken OKen O Registered User regular
    Years ago I had bought a Lego Heroica game and after reading through the instructions put it on a shelf to gather dust. I had been planning on buying a bunch of the range but it was just too simple to really be fun.

I brought it out about a month ago and played it with my 5 year old. He loved it. He's already a Lego fiend and he's been dying to play a "daddy game" since i have 40K and Blood Bowl stuff around the house. I'm sorry I didn't pick up more of that stuff now. At least to use until he gets older for more complex games.

http://www.fingmonkey.com/
    Comics, Games, Booze
  • Options
    SageinaRageSageinaRage Registered User regular
    I've looked at 7th Continent a couple times now, and each time I'm kind of underwhelmed. People are paying hundreds of dollars for a choose your own adventure game? I'm not even sure what the gameplay really is, other than drawing from your deck to beat challenges, but it just seems like a basic push your luck mechanic. What am I missing about this game?

sig.gif
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I uh... went to TRU on lunch and picked up the 4 genre packs for Dropmix.

I was also tempted to get the 12 discovery packs but I decided against it for now.

I don't even have Dropmix yet (though it should be here this afternoon)

crimsoncoyote on
  • Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular
    edited October 2017

I was also tempted to get the 12 discovery packs but I decided against it for now.

... They had the 12 discovery packs? Shit. I can't find them anywhere.

EDIT: I mean, I can't find them anywhere that doesn't jack up the price to 10-15 bucks per pack (retail is 4.99).

Hahnsoo1 on
    8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    What am I missing about this game?

The simple fact you have a different opinion. It doesn't need explanation or validation. That's just how people work.

You haven't "missed" anything or are doing anything wrong.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »

EDIT: I mean, I can't find them anywhere that doesn't jack up the price to 10-15 bucks per pack (retail is 4.99).

Hmm... maybe I should go back for them then...

... I wonder how upset my wife would be...

They had exactly 12 discovery packs and I'm pretty sure they were all different. The cards in the packs are all unique, right? It's weird that they use the same package and the only differentiating feature is the card in the window. That would make it hard for someone to purchase as a gift or determine which pack you need to complete a series.

• Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    I've looked at 7th Continent a couple times now, and each time I'm kind of underwhelmed. People are paying hundreds of dollars for a choose your own adventure game? I'm not even sure what the gameplay really is, other than drawing from your deck to beat challenges, but it just seems like a basic push your luck mechanic. What am I missing about this game?

I'm relatively new to board gaming. These are the things that attract me to 7th Continent:
    1) I like the art.
    2) Production quality looks good / has gotten good reviews.
    3) I'm not familiar with other choose your own adventure games.
    4) I like the gameplay I have seen in several videos I've watched.
    5) Looks like there is a lot of content.

• Options
    BlazeFire wrote: »

I'm relatively new to board gaming. These are the things that attract me to 7th Continent:
    1) I like the art.

I agree with everything blazeFire said. Maybe you are under the impression that its linear in the sense you can only really play through it once? if so, that is incorrect. For instance if a tile has an option for tile 455 as a success or failure result, there are actually multiple tile number 455's so its not like the same progression of choices from one game to the next will always yield the same result.

I guess what attracts me most to games like these is that it has the feel of a role playing game like D&D, but it does not require a DM...its self controlling and i think thats a pretty great innovation in games that is just starting to take off. Much like how Kingdom Death walks you through the story, and has you fight 'yourselves' when a fight occurs, where player choices matter and carry forward. Do you carry the shovel or the raft, do you use your limited resources to craft this item, or give yourself a boost to this action. The game has a lot more 'choice' involved in the gameplay and while the depth of the gameplay is pretty good, reading the rulebook tells me its not something thats going to be bogged down by tons of rules to memorize. The Games intended to be cooperative, but they have added an optional traitor aspect which changes it up heavily i would imagine.

• Options
    Hahnsoo1Hahnsoo1 Make Ready. We Hunt.Registered User regular

They had exactly 12 discovery packs and I'm pretty sure they were all different. The cards in the packs are all unique, right? It's weird that they use the same package and the only differentiating feature is the card in the window. That would make it hard for someone to purchase as a gift or determine which pack you need to complete a series.
    Yeah, the front card tells you which pack you have, and they are all a unique set of 5 cards each.

8i1dt37buh2m.png
  • Options
    Dirk2112Dirk2112 Registered User regular

I know a lot of people complain when a game doesn't have enough content, but for me this game has too much content. It is complete game overload for me. I know I would barely scratch the surface before moving onto something else and that makes it a hard pass. It does look beautiful though.

NNID = Zepp914
  • Options
    Dirk2112 wrote: »

I know a lot of people complain when a game doesn't have enough content, but for me this game has too much content. It is complete game overload for me. I know I would barely scratch the surface before moving onto something else and that makes it a hard pass. It does look beautiful though.

The thing is about 80% of the game is re-used in all the Curses. You may still not see a lot of stuff but the meaning about how the flora and fauna work and using that on successive playthroughs is pretty neat.

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Since playing TI4 the other day I've found myself lusting over Forbidden Stars. Anyone played that one? Thoughts?

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    @Magic Pink As the person seemingly most in the know, do all of the add-ons for 7th Continent seem like good buys? Or are you looking at a bunch of them and going, "ehhhhhh". I'm this close to just throwing up my hands and backing the full $250, but it feels really moronic.

• Options
    DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular

Luckily, somebody over on the Dropmix Reddit put together a Google doc that isn't just a complete checklist of all the cards and what they come in, but also has a tab that shows you which cards come in which discover pack and have the art of the card that is displayed.

• Options
    Magic Pink wrote: »

The thing is about 80% of the game is re-used in all the Curses. You may still not see a lot of stuff but the meaning about how the flora and fauna work and using that on successive playthroughs is pretty neat.

Re-used makes it seem like the map is linear. which it isnt.

• Options
    Ah_Pook wrote: »
    Since playing TI4 the other day I've found myself lusting over Forbidden Stars. Anyone played that one? Thoughts?

I've played it twice, so grain of salt etc.

I like it a lot. The first in last out action selection is delicious. The way it looks laid out with all the minis is stunning. But. And these are really big buts, in that they kinda soured both games I played:

a) You roll a lot of dice in combat. Depending on you, this might be fine. The game systems actually do a lot to ensure that EVERY die face is useful, but you can't get around the fact that depending on what you want out of a battle, situationally, some are a LOT more useful than others.

b) I wasn't convinced in the little I played (and granted, that's unfair) but also in the research I did after, that the factions were especially balanced. In fact there's a BGG thread where the designer admits that they shipped the game knowing the Space Marines were underpowered. That kinda sucks. It's not a VP game, so there's not a lot of ways to mitigate the imbalance.

c) It's really long. Like. Long. With two players it took about 3 hours for our first game, and the complexity/AP just gets higher as you add another player.

• Options
    edited October 2017

It is actually, there's a set layout that the island is set as. There's no guarantee something may screw around with that and you do start in wildly different areas and some areas don't actually connect with others but there is a set map for the place.
    Darric wrote: »
    @Magic Pink As the person seemingly most in the know, do all of the add-ons for 7th Continent seem like good buys? Or are you looking at a bunch of them and going, "ehhhhhh". I'm this close to just throwing up my hands and backing the full $250, but it feels really moronic.

Here's my very early impressions of all the available add-ons:

Devourers: Lots of content but if you don't handle it right being harrassed by giant worms looks like it could get annoying. One of the babies did save our bacon once by becoming our bacon.

Icy Maze; Swamp of Madness: I group these because they both kind of look like you wander in one set environment for a long time, Icy Maze looks frustrating as hell personally. But anything that adds a new Curse and a new area seems like a good add.

Forbidden Sanctuary: Haven't even looked at it but it seems fine. It's the 7th Continent Tomb of Horrors.

Path of Repentance: Makes things very mildly easier. It's a nice little add on to reduce the difficulty.

Creature Comforts: Looks roughly the same as PoR

Facing the Elements: It's in my game but has yet to pop up. But it includes an Energy Hurricane so Must Buy obvs.

Flying Roots: This looks like it adds stuff to ease surviving while at the same time adding random spots that can suddenly make you constantly fail. It's an interesting mechanism that, if you just don't replace the curse cards, could be used in the same way as Path of Repentance to ease the difficulty.

As for the accessories, get the bone dice they are awesome.

so bolded: yes get
    Italic: cool but you could skip
    normal: feel free to eschew

but as ever recall they claim these will never be purchasable again

Magic Pink on
  • Options

The simple fact you have a different opinion. It doesn't need explanation or validation. That's just how people work.

Well yes, that's all true, I guess I was aiming for someone who is excited about it to sell me on it so I can understand what the draw is. I guess I was just framing it more self-deprecatingly to try to put people more at ease so they would open up. BARE YOUR SOULS TO ME

1) I like the art.

I agree with everything blazeFire said. Maybe you are under the impression that its linear in the sense you can only really play through it once? if so, that is incorrect. For instance if a tile has an option for tile 455 as a success or failure result, there are actually multiple tile number 455's so its not like the same progression of choices from one game to the next will always yield the same result.

I guess what attracts me most to games like these is that it has the feel of a role playing game like D&D, but it does not require a DM...its self controlling and i think thats a pretty great innovation in games that is just starting to take off. Much like how Kingdom Death walks you through the story, and has you fight 'yourselves' when a fight occurs, where player choices matter and carry forward. Do you carry the shovel or the raft, do you use your limited resources to craft this item, or give yourself a boost to this action. The game has a lot more 'choice' involved in the gameplay and while the depth of the gameplay is pretty good, reading the rulebook tells me its not something thats going to be bogged down by tons of rules to memorize. The Games intended to be cooperative, but they have added an optional traitor aspect which changes it up heavily i would imagine.

Like that, that's cool. I guess people are just really into the story flexibility and options. I guess just for me I play a lot of RPG's anyway so it's not that big a draw. I don't like dropping a lot of money on a game unless it's really crunchy rules wise.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017

Well yes, that's all true, I guess I was aiming for someone who is excited about it to sell me on it so I can understand what the draw is. I guess I was just framing it more self-deprecatingly to try to put people more at ease so they would open up. BARE YOUR SOULS TO ME

1) I like the art.

Like that, that's cool. I guess people are just really into the story flexibility and options. I guess just for me I play a lot of RPG's anyway so it's not that big a draw. I don't like dropping a lot of money on a game unless it's really crunchy rules wise.

My point was just that don't feel something is missing because you've looked into it and aren't interested when lots of others are. If it's not your thing then save the 250$ dang that is an advantage

Also, if it didn't have crunchy rules, I wouldn't have bought it. I needs my rules full of crunchy protein and this has it in spades. It's the freedom to do anything in an RPG like environment that has hard and fast, yest still simple, rules for everything you want to do that mostly appeals to me. The wacky story hijinks are a distant third.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

It is actually, there's a set layout that the island is set as. There's no guarantee something may screw around with that and you do start in wildly different areas and some areas don't actually connect with others but there is a set map for the place.

Here's my very early impressions of all the available add-ons:

Devourers: Lots of content but if you don't handle it right being harrassed by giant worms looks like it could get annoying. One of the babies did save our bacon once by becoming our bacon.

Icy Maze; Swamp of Madness: I group these because they both kind of look like you wander in one set environment for a long time, Icy Maze looks frustrating as hell personally. But anything that adds a new Curse and a new area seems like a good add.

Forbidden Sanctuary: Haven't even looked at it but it seems fine. It's the 7th Continent Tomb of Horrors.

Path of Repentance: Makes things very mildly easier. It's a nice little add on to reduce the difficulty.

Creature Comforts: Looks roughly the same as PoR

Facing the Elements: It's in my game but has yet to pop up. But it includes an Energy Hurricane so Must Buy obvs.

Flying Roots: This looks like it adds stuff to ease surviving while at the same time adding random spots that can suddenly make you constantly fail. It's an interesting mechanism that, if you just don't replace the curse cards, could be used in the same way as Path of Repentance to ease the difficulty.

As for the accessories, get the bone dice they are awesome.

so bolded: yes get
    Italic: cool but you could skip
    normal: feel free to eschew

but as ever recall they claim these will never be purchasable again

As for Difficulty control with expansions, also keep in mind we unlocked the Prodigy cards from the stretch goals, which as described sound like they would be making the game a bit of an easy mode compared to normal if you choose to use them.

• Options
  • Options

Uh yeah? It's a MINI expansion. The clue's in the name.

Also it apparently fixes some bad gameplay with two of the other islands; I've heard nothing but good things about it.

• Options

Uh yeah? It's a MINI expansion. The clue's in the name.

Also it apparently fixes some bad gameplay with two of the other islands; I've heard nothing but good things about it.

Zero complaints. It's thin. I'll get it.

• Options

1) I like the art.

My point was just that don't feel something is missing because you've looked into it and aren't interested when lots of others are. If it's not your thing then save the 250$ dang that is an advantage

Also, if it didn't have crunchy rules, I wouldn't have bought it. I needs my rules full of crunchy protein and this has it in spades. It's the freedom to do anything in an RPG like environment that has hard and fast, yest still simple, rules for everything you want to do that mostly appeals to me. The wacky story hijinks are a distant third.

How is it crunchy rules? It looks like you just have a target successes to beat and draw until you beat that number.

sig.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017

1) I like the art.

How is it crunchy rules? It looks like you just have a target successes to beat and draw until you beat that number.

No, you have to decide beforehand how many you'll draw and some tasks require a certain number of cards to be drawn minimum (which you can lower by having certain abilities but then you risk the chance you won't get enough successes and et cetera, one task we found had a THIRTY minimum card draw, of course we had to search around crafting items and learning skills to lower that). And if you don't get enough you fail. Plus all the cards have various ways of being used depending on the icons related with the task. There's lots and lots of different ways to attempt to accomplish stuff and all of it is very strictly within the game's rules. And remember when you run out of cards, you reshuffle the deck and continue but if you ever draw one of the five curse cards it's game over. Have you watched any playthroughs yet?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    Finished up Terminal Directive which to be perfectly frank was a huge disappointment.

Anyone have recommendations for any good 2 player campaign/legacy games?

• Options
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    Finished up Terminal Directive which to be perfectly frank was a huge disappointment.

Pandemic Legacy

• Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Got my first run with the Harry Potter deckbuilder tonight. We started with Year 2 and crushed it, then similarly crushed Year 3. Year 4 fed us our lunch money in 30 minutes, then we turned around and ROFLstomped it right back. Game can be kiiiiinda swingy.

Amusingly, we were playing with the same 3 for all games: Ron, Neville, and Hermonie. Harry who?

• Options
    InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular

Pandemic Legacy

Good answer! But we've already done that one. Apologies for not mentioning that.

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

It's great. Game length has been massively variable with four player games lasting between 2 and 3 and a half hours. It depends on whether you go for the full ten rounds or if some sneaky son of a bitch manages to execute some masterstroke and grab the last two objectives on the same round.

The order and combat systems are incredibly elegant. The one snag is that it is crying out for an expansion to just give it that little bit more replayability, a couple of extra races and a few more map tiles are all it really needed. And that will never happen because ffg lost the license which also makes it quite expensive

I would say that it's fairly likely ffg are currently in the process of doing a reskin. Probably with the TI races. So maybe hang on a bit and see if there's news of that coming rather than spend lots of money right now

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

Pandemic Legacy

Good answer! But we've already done that one. Apologies for not mentioning that.

Gloomhaven!

• Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

Mechs vs Minions

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Alistair HuttonAlistair Hutton Dr EdinburghRegistered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    What's nice about the Ankh-Morpork game is that you're never sure if Vimes is going to be in the game or not.

What I wish the game did do was allow players to more easily bluff that they were trying to go for other win conditions.

I think it might be a two player game that they've added components for 4 players to.

Playing Vines in a 4 player game is easy mode as the number of cards in the deck doesn't change between 2 and 4 players.

I have a thoughtful and infrequently updated blog about games http://whatithinkaboutwhenithinkaboutgames.wordpress.com/

I made a game, it has penguins in it. It's pay what you like on Gumroad.

Currently Ebaying Nothing at all but I might do in the future.
  • Options
    edited October 2017

It's great. Game length has been massively variable with four player games lasting between 2 and 3 and a half hours. It depends on whether you go for the full ten rounds or if some sneaky son of a bitch manages to execute some masterstroke and grab the last two objectives on the same round.

The order and combat systems are incredibly elegant. The one snag is that it is crying out for an expansion to just give it that little bit more replayability, a couple of extra races and a few more map tiles are all it really needed. And that will never happen because ffg lost the license which also makes it quite expensive

I would say that it's fairly likely ffg are currently in the process of doing a reskin. Probably with the TI races. So maybe hang on a bit and see if there's news of that coming rather than spend lots of money right now

Got a copy lined up for $50+shipping, sleeved and never played. Don't think it's ever getting better than that, and at the rate the price is rising I'm sure I can get out from under pretty easily if it doesn't hit. I think you and the recent Heavy Cardboard playthrough/review sold me.

Plus id have to imagine a theoretical retheme coming next Gencon at the earliest and probably costing $100-150 so yknow.

Ah_Pook on
  • Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular

Got a copy lined up for $50+shipping, sleeved and never played. Don't think it's ever getting better than that, and at the rate the price is rising I'm sure I can get it from under pretty easily if it doesn't hit.

That's a steal. Buy buy buy.I think I paid the equivalent of $95

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular

Pandemic Legacy

Pandemic Legacy season 2 :biggrin:

Should be out soon, I think.

4dm3dwuxq302.png