As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• Options
    A Dabble Of TheloniusA Dabble Of Thelonius It has been a doozy of a dayRegistered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Got my first run with the Harry Potter deckbuilder tonight. We started with Year 2 and crushed it, then similarly crushed Year 3. Year 4 fed us our lunch money in 30 minutes, then we turned around and ROFLstomped it right back. Game can be kiiiiinda swingy.

Amusingly, we were playing with the same 3 for all games: Ron, Neville, and Hermonie. Harry who?

It is super swingy. The expansion adds some absolutely brutal enemy combos. Still having a blast with it tho.

This War of Mine- holy shit hard. We haven't made it to ch3 yet. I feel like it needs a few more cards for the base (heaps furniture etc) but other than that, loving it

vm8gvf5p7gqi.jpg
    Steam - Talon Valdez :Blizz - Talonious#1860 : Xbox Live & LoL - Talonious Monk @TaloniousMonk Hail Satan
  • Options
    VyolynceVyolynce Registered User regular
    Vyolynce wrote: »
    Got my first run with the Harry Potter deckbuilder tonight. We started with Year 2 and crushed it, then similarly crushed Year 3. Year 4 fed us our lunch money in 30 minutes, then we turned around and ROFLstomped it right back. Game can be kiiiiinda swingy.

Amusingly, we were playing with the same 3 for all games: Ron, Neville, and Hermonie. Harry who?

It is super swingy. The expansion adds some absolutely brutal enemy combos. Still having a blast with it tho.

Turns out we misplayed one of the Year 4 villains on the second run so we'll probably replay that again before moving on.
    Barty Crouch Jr says "Heroes can't remove evil influence from locations". We interpreted that as still allowing rewards from beating other villains to do so, but apparently that's not the intention. Not 100% sure it would have mattered, but the difference between the first and second location is significant so better to err on the side of caution here.

• Options
    WingedWeaselWingedWeasel Registered User regular
    The expansion for the HP deckbuilder significantly ups the difficulty which is great. Well at least for us.

• Options
    azith28azith28 Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Magic Pink wrote: »
    What am I missing about this game?

The simple fact you have a different opinion. It doesn't need explanation or validation. That's just how people work.

You haven't "missed" anything or are doing anything wrong.

Well yes, that's all true, I guess I was aiming for someone who is excited about it to sell me on it so I can understand what the draw is. I guess I was just framing it more self-deprecatingly to try to put people more at ease so they would open up. BARE YOUR SOULS TO ME
    azith28 wrote: »
    I've looked at 7th Continent a couple times now, and each time I'm kind of underwhelmed. People are paying hundreds of dollars for a choose your own adventure game? I'm not even sure what the gameplay really is, other than drawing from your deck to beat challenges, but it just seems like a basic push your luck mechanic. What am I missing about this game?
    BlazeFire wrote: »
    I've looked at 7th Continent a couple times now, and each time I'm kind of underwhelmed. People are paying hundreds of dollars for a choose your own adventure game? I'm not even sure what the gameplay really is, other than drawing from your deck to beat challenges, but it just seems like a basic push your luck mechanic. What am I missing about this game?

I'm relatively new to board gaming. These are the things that attract me to 7th Continent:
    1) I like the art.
    2) Production quality looks good / has gotten good reviews.
    3) I'm not familiar with other choose your own adventure games.
    4) I like the gameplay I have seen in several videos I've watched.
    5) Looks like there is a lot of content.

I agree with everything blazeFire said. Maybe you are under the impression that its linear in the sense you can only really play through it once? if so, that is incorrect. For instance if a tile has an option for tile 455 as a success or failure result, there are actually multiple tile number 455's so its not like the same progression of choices from one game to the next will always yield the same result.

I guess what attracts me most to games like these is that it has the feel of a role playing game like D&D, but it does not require a DM...its self controlling and i think thats a pretty great innovation in games that is just starting to take off. Much like how Kingdom Death walks you through the story, and has you fight 'yourselves' when a fight occurs, where player choices matter and carry forward. Do you carry the shovel or the raft, do you use your limited resources to craft this item, or give yourself a boost to this action. The game has a lot more 'choice' involved in the gameplay and while the depth of the gameplay is pretty good, reading the rulebook tells me its not something thats going to be bogged down by tons of rules to memorize. The Games intended to be cooperative, but they have added an optional traitor aspect which changes it up heavily i would imagine.

Like that, that's cool. I guess people are just really into the story flexibility and options. I guess just for me I play a lot of RPG's anyway so it's not that big a draw. I don't like dropping a lot of money on a game unless it's really crunchy rules wise.

My point was just that don't feel something is missing because you've looked into it and aren't interested when lots of others are. If it's not your thing then save the 250$ dang that is an advantage

Also, if it didn't have crunchy rules, I wouldn't have bought it. I needs my rules full of crunchy protein and this has it in spades. It's the freedom to do anything in an RPG like environment that has hard and fast, yest still simple, rules for everything you want to do that mostly appeals to me. The wacky story hijinks are a distant third.

How is it crunchy rules? It looks like you just have a target successes to beat and draw until you beat that number.

No, you have to decide beforehand how many you'll draw and some tasks require a certain number of cards to be drawn minimum (which you can lower by having certain abilities but then you risk the chance you won't get enough successes and et cetera, one task we found had a THIRTY minimum card draw, of course we had to search around crafting items and learning skills to lower that). And if you don't get enough you fail. Plus all the cards have various ways of being used depending on the icons related with the task. There's lots and lots of different ways to attempt to accomplish stuff and all of it is very strictly within the game's rules. And remember when you run out of cards, you reshuffle the deck and continue but if you ever draw one of the five curse cards it's game over. Have you watched any playthroughs yet?

Not quite... You have an action deck, if you draw a curse card from normal play from the action deck, nothing happens and it goes into the discard pile...however once that curse card is in the discard pile of the Action deck, if you run out of cards in your action deck, you draw cards from the discard pile as you would have from the action deck, and if you draw a curse from the discard pile, you lose the game. You can put cards from the discard pile back into the action deck by eating food and other events / skills.

azith28 on
    Stercus, Stercus, Stercus, Morituri Sum
  • Options
    Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    What am I missing about this game?

The simple fact you have a different opinion. It doesn't need explanation or validation. That's just how people work.

You haven't "missed" anything or are doing anything wrong.

Well yes, that's all true, I guess I was aiming for someone who is excited about it to sell me on it so I can understand what the draw is. I guess I was just framing it more self-deprecatingly to try to put people more at ease so they would open up. BARE YOUR SOULS TO ME

I'm relatively new to board gaming. These are the things that attract me to 7th Continent:
    1) I like the art.
    2) Production quality looks good / has gotten good reviews.
    3) I'm not familiar with other choose your own adventure games.
    4) I like the gameplay I have seen in several videos I've watched.
    5) Looks like there is a lot of content.

I agree with everything blazeFire said. Maybe you are under the impression that its linear in the sense you can only really play through it once? if so, that is incorrect. For instance if a tile has an option for tile 455 as a success or failure result, there are actually multiple tile number 455's so its not like the same progression of choices from one game to the next will always yield the same result.

I guess what attracts me most to games like these is that it has the feel of a role playing game like D&D, but it does not require a DM...its self controlling and i think thats a pretty great innovation in games that is just starting to take off. Much like how Kingdom Death walks you through the story, and has you fight 'yourselves' when a fight occurs, where player choices matter and carry forward. Do you carry the shovel or the raft, do you use your limited resources to craft this item, or give yourself a boost to this action. The game has a lot more 'choice' involved in the gameplay and while the depth of the gameplay is pretty good, reading the rulebook tells me its not something thats going to be bogged down by tons of rules to memorize. The Games intended to be cooperative, but they have added an optional traitor aspect which changes it up heavily i would imagine.

Like that, that's cool. I guess people are just really into the story flexibility and options. I guess just for me I play a lot of RPG's anyway so it's not that big a draw. I don't like dropping a lot of money on a game unless it's really crunchy rules wise.

My point was just that don't feel something is missing because you've looked into it and aren't interested when lots of others are. If it's not your thing then save the 250$ dang that is an advantage

Also, if it didn't have crunchy rules, I wouldn't have bought it. I needs my rules full of crunchy protein and this has it in spades. It's the freedom to do anything in an RPG like environment that has hard and fast, yest still simple, rules for everything you want to do that mostly appeals to me. The wacky story hijinks are a distant third.

How is it crunchy rules? It looks like you just have a target successes to beat and draw until you beat that number.

No, you have to decide beforehand how many you'll draw and some tasks require a certain number of cards to be drawn minimum (which you can lower by having certain abilities but then you risk the chance you won't get enough successes and et cetera, one task we found had a THIRTY minimum card draw, of course we had to search around crafting items and learning skills to lower that). And if you don't get enough you fail. Plus all the cards have various ways of being used depending on the icons related with the task. There's lots and lots of different ways to attempt to accomplish stuff and all of it is very strictly within the game's rules. And remember when you run out of cards, you reshuffle the deck and continue but if you ever draw one of the five curse cards it's game over. Have you watched any playthroughs yet?

Not quite... You have an action deck, if you draw a curse card from normal play from the action deck, nothing happens and it goes into the discard pile...however once that curse card is in the discard pile of the Action deck, if you run out of cards in your action deck, you draw cards from the discard pile as you would have from the action deck, and if you draw a curse from the discard pile, you lose the game. You can put cards from the discard pile back into the action deck by eating food and other events / skills.

That's what I said. You draw cards, when you're out you reshuffle the deck and draw from it again. You draw a curse, game ends.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    crimsoncoyotecrimsoncoyote Registered User regular
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Hahnsoo1 wrote: »
    I uh... went to TRU on lunch and picked up the 4 genre packs for Dropmix.

I was also tempted to get the 12 discovery packs but I decided against it for now.

I don't even have Dropmix yet (though it should be here this afternoon)
    ... They had the 12 discovery packs? Shit. I can't find them anywhere.

EDIT: I mean, I can't find them anywhere that doesn't jack up the price to 10-15 bucks per pack (retail is 4.99).

Hmm... maybe I should go back for them then...

... I wonder how upset my wife would be...

They had exactly 12 discovery packs and I'm pretty sure they were all different. The cards in the packs are all unique, right? It's weird that they use the same package and the only differentiating feature is the card in the window. That would make it hard for someone to purchase as a gift or determine which pack you need to complete a series.

Luckily, somebody over on the Dropmix Reddit put together a Google doc that isn't just a complete checklist of all the cards and what they come in, but also has a tab that shows you which cards come in which discover pack and have the art of the card that is displayed.
    I went back.

• Options
    you reshuffle the discard deck, its a slight but important correction because action cards in the 'discard pile' and action cards in the 'draw pile' make all the difference when drawing a curse. you dont just run out of action cards once then doomed to eventually draw a curse card...you use items to put cards back into the draw pile to make them 'safe' to draw. Your comment almost makes it sound like you cant prevent it.

• Options
    you reshuffle the discard deck, its a slight but important correction because action cards in the 'discard pile' and action cards in the 'draw pile' make all the difference when drawing a curse. you dont just run out of action cards once then doomed to eventually draw a curse card...you use items to put cards back into the draw pile to make them 'safe' to draw. Your comment almost makes it sound like you cant prevent it.

You can't once the deck runs out. I'm just not interested in re-creating the entire rulebook.

• Options
    I'm not trying to rule nazi you, I'm just trying to clarify for anyone interested in the game reading this post cause things like 'if you draw this card you lose the game instantly' is something that would make me pass up the game completely due to it being purely luck based unless you clarified that this only can occur if you completely exhaust your options, resources, and abilities. It's kinda like saying D&D has a mechanic that if you roll a 20, you die and lose the game.

• Options
    ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Honestly, until he posted you can put cards back into the deck with different abilities or food, I thought it was essentially a timer for every game, similar to Pandemic's player deck. Putting cards back from the discard is a huge game changer in how I think about it.

Do you randomly put cards back in, or just from the top? Or each card has a different option?

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    from the top basically. the action deck acts kinda like the players health and stamina. most actions require a certain amount of 'successes' to occur via drawing cards from the action deck. this occurs usually from the 'stars' and 'half-stars' that are on most of the cards. They also have a mechanic involving '7''s on the cards which can count as successes as well. You can usually adjust how many cards you draw to achieve success, but you want to do as few as possible, so you use items and abilities to reduce the requirements to succeed, (reducing number of stars needed to succeed for instance). and use as few cards as you can, then you use items like food (Say you find some meat...the meat could let you take 2 cards from the discard deck and put them back into the action deck, or if you find a fire and cook the meat first, you get to take 6 cards from the discard and put them in the draw deck again.) to replenish the 'safe' deck to draw from.

The discard deck is always available to use in the event of having to draw cards and having no cards in the draw pile to draw from. This deck constantly will be reshuffled and reused if you have to, however if you draw your curse from the discard pile draw, the game ends and you lose. drawing the curse from the 'safe' deck does nothing however.

The game is intended to have the potential to last a very long time. the only timer is failure to the point of having to draw from your discard deck, which is always a risk, and at that point luck factors in since the curse could be the first card you draw or the last in the deck.

Failing an action attempt usually involves the discarding of cards from your draw deck, and if there is no draw available, it forces draws from the discard pile, increasing your chance to draw a curse and lose.

azith28 on
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    ArcSyn wrote: »
    Honestly, until he posted you can put cards back into the deck with different abilities or food, I thought it was essentially a timer for every game, similar to Pandemic's player deck. Putting cards back from the discard is a huge game changer in how I think about it.

Do you randomly put cards back in, or just from the top? Or each card has a different option?

It IS a timer. It will eventually run out, all you can do is slow it down.

edit: assuming that you're not crazy lucky or have played the game like 20+ times and have everything memorized I guess

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    We tried Crisis last night and it's pretty good. I think it's strength tho is also its and many other games' greatest weakness: it's a semi-co-op.

8e8da9fd5a1c148477fbd62a20b8d09d_original.jpg?w=680&fit=max&v=1467921887&auto=format&q=92&s=48c882caa18c4614e2738d03af00ea9a

It plays out very similar to Archipelago; everyone is playing wealthy corporations called in to try and invest in and save a futuristic city whose economy is spiraling into the shitter. You invest in corporations and factories and hire and import
    workers and produce, import and export goods. Very standard worker-placement, economic engine building.

The kicker is there's a meter that tracks the city's economy and every round EVERYONE needs to hit a minimum number of victory points or the meter falls and that number increases quite a bit every one of the eight rounds. The system works well enough that you at some point really need to talk about your individual plans and make sure everyone has a good system in place or someone can fall behind and drag the meter way down.

One of the players commented that it was good "but felt unfinished" and I think a major reason for that is the game works really really well as a straight up competitive worker-euro and that's what we played it as for 5 of the 6 rounds we lasted. It wasn't till the second half of the 5th turn, as the meter was repeatedly hovering around the 5 points left mark, that we actually started paying attention to each other and stopped trying to snatch the most efficient plays out from each other. It was ridiculously too late but there you go. You really need to go in with the mindset, for at least 4 rounds or so, that you need to help each other out and plan out some good engines and then around turn 6 or 7 start undercutting everyone and we deffo didn't do that.

And that, strangely enough, it what saves it from the typical trap of semi-co-ops; the "if i can't win nobody wins" player mentality. By the time you get to the point that you realize you may not win, it would be pretty tough to willingly tank the whole game because several turns were spent making sure everyone had some good foundations. Plus, of course, it would make you a giant asshole.

Good game tho, I give it an 8.

Well, what I meant by "unfinished" is that we learned the hard way that some building strategies were distictly inferior. I controlled the minerals and chemicals with a very efficient little machine, but there was no reliable way to convert them into victory points (exporting relied on the right trades coming up, and other players not sniping them), while the banks and resorts were victory machines. Energy couldn't even be exported or traded to other players at all, which made power plants far less desirable.

I do think that you are right, and a combination of our suboptimal play and horrid luck with events made the experience seem a little more empty than it would normally. I am of the opinion that there needs to be a little more game there, even if it is just a trade mechanic to mitigate the horrendous costs of resource purchasing...why WOULDN'T investors in our position trade things like chemicals and energy with each other when needed, when the option is losing victory points to importing?

It seems like a natural expansion board. You place a manager and a resourse on a space, and another player can place a manager and a resource opposite them. Upon activation, the resources change hands in time to power buildings and export.

• Options
    from the top basically. the action deck acts kinda like the players health and stamina. most actions require a certain amount of 'successes' to occur via drawing cards from the action deck. this occurs usually from the 'stars' and 'half-stars' that are on most of the cards. They also have a mechanic involving '7''s on the cards which can count as successes as well. You can usually adjust how many cards you draw to achieve success, but you want to do as few as possible, so you use items and abilities to reduce the requirements to succeed, (reducing number of stars needed to succeed for instance). and use as few cards as you can, then you use items like food (Say you find some meat...the meat could let you take 2 cards from the discard deck and put them back into the action deck, or if you find a fire and cook the meat first, you get to take 6 cards from the discard and put them in the draw deck again.) to replenish the 'safe' deck to draw from.

The discard deck is always available to use in the event of having to draw cards and having no cards in the draw pile to draw from. This deck constantly will be reshuffled and reused if you have to, however if you draw your curse from the discard pile draw, the game ends and you lose. drawing the curse from the 'safe' deck does nothing however.

The game is intended to have the potential to last a very long time. the only timer is failure to the point of having to draw from your discard deck, which is always a risk, and at that point luck factors in since the curse could be the first card you draw or the last in the deck.

Failing an action attempt usually involves the discarding of cards from your draw deck, and if there is no draw available, it forces draws from the discard pile, increasing your chance to draw a curse and lose.

HOLD THEPHONE

NOW i get what you're saying. That took a long bike ride to suss out.

Yeah, that's new to me. We haven't hit the point where we have to flip the discard yet but no I was always assuming once it's flipped it's flipped and you're eventual-fucked. I was never aware that you could still get food and turn the discard BACK to the draw deck. That's kind of crazy.

I mean, yeah it's still a timer but less of a doomy one.

Also I got my Kingdom Death 1.5 Upgrade box. It's very pretty!

• Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    I just noticed that War of the Ring 2nd Edition got a recent reprint and a few affordable copies are available for sale. Welp. I know what I'm spending my money on this week. :3

Dashui on
    Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Dashui wrote: »
    I just noticed that War of the Ring 2nd Edition got a recent reprint and a few affordable copies are available for sale. Welp. I know what I'm spending my money on this week. :3

Was it rare or something?

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    BlazeFireBlazeFire Registered User regular
    Pink, were you still wanting to sell Eldritch Horror? I'm not sure whether it will make sense due to shipping but we can talk!

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Pink, were you still wanting to sell Eldritch Horror? I'm not sure whether it will make sense due to shipping but we can talk!

I do! But if you're in Europe, yeah you wouldn't want to buy it from me.

Magic Pink on
  • Options
    DashuiDashui Registered User regular
    Dashui wrote: »

Was it rare or something? I have a 1st ed with the 2nd Ed upgrade I was gonna take to the HalfPrice Books if you want to buy that.

Yeah, it's been hard to find unless you wanted to shell out 100-200 dollars. War of the Ring has been a game I've really wanted since I first started this addiction, but I didn't want to spend that kind of cash on it. The latest reprints are going for $60, and that's an instant buy for me.

And thank you for the offer, but my copy already shipped.

Xbox Live, PSN & Origin: Vacorsis 3DS: 2638-0037-166
  • Options
    Jam WarriorJam Warrior Registered User regular

That's shipping already?! I knew they just took the money but I figured we were still weeks away.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options

That's shipping already?! I knew they just took the money but I figured we were still weeks away.

Nah mine shipped last Thursday and I got it today.

ONCE AGAIN I HAVE BEATEN YOU

• Options

Curse your natural geographic advantage in this competition I wasn't aware I was participating in.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    Looks like the press embargo on Charterstone lifted today and a ton of reviews and stuff popped up today. That game looks really cool! My wife got really excited about it after watching some videos, so naturally that got pre-ordered. I'm excited about it!

Also I definitely bought that copy of Forbidden Stars, so thanks @Mojo_Jojo. Out of curiosity, how many plays did it take your group to get the playtime down so much?

• Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    The Evolution Beta came out on Steam today for backers!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aDaOgu2CQtI

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

Curse your natural geographic advantage in this competition I wasn't aware I was participating in.

It's the only way I'll win!

• Options
    Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    Ah_Pook wrote: »

Also I definitely bought that copy of Forbidden Stars, so thanks Mojo_Jojo. Out of curiosity, how many plays did it take your group to get the playtime down so much?

I'd say if anything playtime is likely to push towards three hours from both with repeated plays as players get better at planning and spotting how their opponents can do multi-objective grabs.

You'll probably find the first game is a short one as people are inclined to hold territory out of a feeling that it's a useful thing to do when really you want to be playing as space nomads blazing around and letting your empire crumble behind you

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Options

At least tease me with some deets. Does it look like a mid-campaign conversion is possible? I'm part way through a campaign currently (just fought first compulsory Kingsman) and can't see starting over going down well or the next game being any time soon.

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    CantidoCantido Registered User regular
    edited October 2017
    Wow, Clans of Caledonia is shipping already.

Its supposed to be like Terra Mystica but shorter (oh god yes), with a single player mode, and market manipulation. And scotch.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=N9cFY2CWwSg&t=783s

Cantido on
    3DS Friendcode 5413-1311-3767
  • Options

At least tease me with some deets. Does it look like a mid-campaign conversion is possible? I'm part way through a campaign currently (just fought first compulsory Kingsman) and can't see starting over going down well or the next game being any time soon.

I would absolutely think so but I couldn't read the new rules because my eyes don't focus after 7PM any more. The only thing it really changes is the Screaming Antelope rewards, forces some King's Men fights now I believe and changes what happens with and after the Watcher.

Also, question for all the Kingdom Death people; there's two new starting survivor minis in the update, a super built old man and a little girl with a whip. They're labelled on the sprues as Survivor 7 and Survivor 8. Assuming the 4 starters are Survivors 1-4 who the heck are survivors 5 and 6?

• Options

I would absolutely think so but I couldn't read the new rules because my eyes don't focus after 7PM any more. The only thing it really changes is the Screaming Antelope rewards, forces some King's Men fights now I believe and changes what happens with and after the Watcher.

Also, question for all the Kingdom Death people; there's two new starting survivor minis in the update, a super built old man and a little girl with a whip. They're labelled on the sprues as Survivor 7 and Survivor 8. Assuming the 4 starters are Survivors 1-4 who the heck are survivors 5 and 6?

The 'intimacy' couple?

intimacy.male%20(13).JPG

MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    edited October 2017
    Maybe?

Ya know they don't look very interested in being intimate...

edit: wait no they were labelled as INTIMACY.

Magic Pink on
  • Options

HOLD THEPHONE

Yeah, that's new to me. We haven't hit the point where we have to flip the discard yet but no I was always assuming once it's flipped it's flipped and you're eventual-fucked. I was never aware that you could still get food and turn the discard BACK to the draw deck. That's kind of crazy.

I did not see anything in the rulebook that would prevent you from recovering from a no draw pile card situation. If anything I think its expected to happen.

• Options
    edited October 2017

HOLD THEPHONE

I did not see anything in the rulebook that would prevent you from recovering from a no draw pile card situation. If anything I think its expected to happen.

I think you're missing two points Pink.

(1) You can absolutely recover cards back from the discard to the action deck, even if the action deck was currently empty.

(2) When you're at the point of drawing from the discard, your new discards still go back into the discard deck. You shuffle it anew for every draw. Thus pulling a curse from the discard is an ever present risk until you get some cards back in the action deck, but not an inevitability if you keep getting lucky with the shuffle.

So it's still a timer, but a timer to danger of doom rather than inevitable doom. And food will put more time back on the clock even if it has wound down to zero, pulling you back out of the danger zone for a while.

Jam Warrior on
    MhCw7nZ.gif
  • Options
    DelduwathDelduwath Registered User regular
    Looks like the press embargo on Charterstone lifted today and a ton of reviews and stuff popped up today. That game looks really cool! My wife got really excited about it after watching some videos, so naturally that got pre-ordered. I'm excited about it!
    Yeah, I was just coming in here to ask if any of you folks have some impressions of it. I started watching a video about it yesterday but had to step away in the middle and didn't have a chance to finish. I didn't see the part that goes in-depth on the rules, but I really like how the rule cards have stickers on them that are pasted into the rulebook, and resource cards have hex-stickers that are pasted onto the game board to become worker placement slots.

I will allow that I maybe just want to stick a bunch of stickers onto things.

• Options
    FryFry Registered User regular
    Stickering up the rulebook is a brilliant idea. Dodges the problems of "rulebook is a spoilerfest" or the alternative "rulebook becomes useless."

• Options
    edited October 2017
    Hum. Charterstone looks cute. BTW guys, I noticed that Amazon has Gloomhaven for Retail price if you want to preorder and missed the 2nd KS. I also noticed that they are selling a 'restart' kit for gloomhaven that includes all the legacy parts/stickers so you can restart your campaign a few times.

EDIT: Damnit guys, somehow Charterstone got pre-ordered.

Now i got Gloomhaven, KDM:1.5,7th Continent, and Charterstone all in the 'you own them, but cant play them just yet MUHAHAHAHAHAHA' category.

azith28 on
  • Options
    Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    I didn't go read spoilers etc but my understanding is that it starts out as a very vanilla/borderline boring worker placement cube pusher, but every game throws a ton of new mechanics at you and changes stuff up in interesting ways. By the end its like a mid weight euro with a couple expansions worth of stuff layered on top. And then once you finish the 12 game campaign you can play with the finished board and a bunch of variable stuff, or you can buy the refresh pack and start over on the other side of the board and see how stuff changes. I think it looks awesome personally.

• Options
    I didn't go read spoilers etc but my understanding is that it starts out as a very vanilla/borderline boring worker placement cube pusher, but every game throws a ton of new mechanics at you and changes stuff up in interesting ways. By the end its like a mid weight euro with a couple expansions worth of stuff layered on top. And then once you finish the 12 game campaign you can play with the finished board and a bunch of variable stuff, or you can buy the refresh pack and start over on the other side of the board and see how stuff changes. I think it looks awesome personally.

It doesn't look like it does anything new, but its damn cute... cant resist.

• Options

HOLD THEPHONE

I think you're missing two points Pink.

(1) You can absolutely recover cards back from the discard to the action deck, even if the action deck was currently empty.

(2) When you're at the point of drawing from the discard, your new discards still go back into the discard deck. You shuffle it anew for every draw. Thus pulling a curse from the discard is an ever present risk until you get some cards back in the action deck, but not an inevitability if you keep getting lucky with the shuffle.

So it's still a timer, but a timer to danger of doom rather than inevitable doom. And food will put more time back on the clock even if it has wound down to zero, pulling you back out of the danger zone for a while.

No that's what I just figured out.

• Options

HOLD THEPHONE

I did not see anything in the rulebook that would prevent you from recovering from a no draw pile card situation.

That's cause there isn't!