As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Board Games] THIS THREAD IS DEAD! POST IN THE NEW ONE!

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    Hedgethorn wrote: »
    DarkPrimus wrote: »
    Goodness, that thing weighs as much as Kingdom Death!

There's a ton of cardboard in the box. I expect to be punching chits out until February.

Buy a ton of plastic baggies. The worst part of set-up is digging through the two giant-ass bags with all the enemy standees and finding the ones you need.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • ArcSynArcSyn Registered User regular
    Or just bite the bullet now and get this.
    http://www.thebrokentoken.com/gloomhaven-organizer/

4dm3dwuxq302.png
  • NotoriusBENNotoriusBEN Registered User regular
    6 is good for Ladies and Gentlemen. And, if you're a lady, you get to officially insult your competition.

I'll second Ladies and Gentlemen as well. It is one of those games that becomes so much more when the players assume the role they have, because part of the game is about communicating to your teammate without absolute numbers.

I'll slot in Shut Up and Sit Down reviews. They explain it better than I can.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cTc_oQMP_cg

a4irovn5uqjp.png
    Steam - NotoriusBEN | Uplay - notoriusben | Xbox,Windows Live - ThatBEN
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    Thanks for the recommendations, guys!

Forgot to say what games we already have - we have and love 7 Wonders and the Waterdeep package.

Part of why I'm not too keen on four player games is that we nearly always have at least six players coming in to play, and it never really works for us as a group to split up into two smaller groups to play. So four player games could work for us if they're light enough (like, played while waiting for guys #5 and 6... an hour-ish would be nice) It's why Star Trek: Catan and Tragedy Looper are gathering dust in the back of the shelf.

Roborally - looks interesting (especially since a majority of us are programmers), but none of the local stores have them.
    Cosmic Encounter - I've actually considered buying this for the longest time, but I'm really not sure if we'll warm up to this, it seems like a very divisive game.
    Libertalia - I've seen this in just one store recently, but it's also caught my interest when I was debating buying this or something else (that turned out to be Keyflower eventually).
    Ladies and Gentlemen - this is a game I've tried to sell to my group before, but that was in my early days as the "rules guy", and I failed miserably when we tried it in a cafe. Shame, the SUSD video was great.
    Letters from Whitechapel - We actually don't have a hidden movement game yet, so this one's interesting too.
    Tigris and Euphrates - despite the accolades I've heard about this, the reported dryness of theme actually puts me off. How long do games play?
    Alchemists - Damn, we would've loved this if it played even just one more guy. As it is, four player, two hour-ish games won't see the table often.
    Ethnos - The box actually made me think of Cyclades, didn't know this was more of a card game.
    Council of Blackthorn - Why have I not heard of this game? Our local stores don't seem to have this in stock.
    Karesansui - I haven't heard of this game at all as well. I don't think our stores have this either.
    Captain Sonar / Space Cadets: Dice Duel - I'd... probably want to buy these for myself. :P

• DarkPrimusDarkPrimus Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    I've recently become a big fan of Dominare, which can seat up to 6 but is listed as being best for 4 players. It's a area control/card drafting game that's super flavorful, probably the most flavorful sort of "rule the city" type game outside of Lords of Waterdeep. (Discworld: Ankh-Morpork gets third place.)

Every player is the leader of a conspiracy to gain control of the low-fantasy city of Tempest, and every round you play a card that represents a member of your conspiracy. Depending on which round they're played in, they will have access to different abilities. The character you play in the seventh and final round actually represents you, the leader of the conspiracy, and it's amazing when it turns out that the bio of the dude who you drew halfway through completely meshes with the strategy you had built up over the course of the game.

DarkPrimus on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    i really didn't like T&E

it was frustrating and long

sig.gif
  • Ah_PookAh_Pook Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    What frustrated you about it?

Basically it's a 4p tactical abstract game with an extremely fluid board state and a lot of direct player interaction... It's definitely hard to parse what is happening or what you should be doing the first play or two. Games last about 90 min once you know how to play. It's not any drier than... Concordia or something. I mean that's a low bar but eh.

Also susd reviewed it somewhat recently after everyone told them they should play it after their bgg top 100 feature, if you want to watch a video about it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=0Jl_ensO_UY

Ah_Pook on
  • PowerpuppiesPowerpuppies drinking coffee in the mountain cabinRegistered User regular
    it was NOT a fluid game state, at all

possibly due to the advanced mechanic where the tiles in a row gave bonuses? we quickly had huge cities where the connecting tiles had a like +6 bonus to unifying

and then people were surrounding their leaders with 3 temples so the revolts weren't too effective either

another downer was if you try to fuck off to a corner of the map and slowly rebuild your situation somebody can just catastrophe 1 tile away from the leader and then take control of everything he just cut off

so the culmination of the big cities and the catastrophe business was infinite frustration and a slow loss that took hours

sig.gif
  • Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo We are only now beginning to understand the full power and ramifications of sexual intercourse Registered User regular
    it was NOT a fluid game state, at all

possibly due to the advanced mechanic where the tiles in a row gave bonuses? we quickly had huge cities where the connecting tiles had a like +6 bonus to unifying

and then people were surrounding their leaders with 3 temples so the revolts weren't too effective either

another downer was if you try to fuck off to a corner of the map and slowly rebuild your situation somebody can just catastrophe 1 tile away from the leader and then take control of everything he just cut off

so the culmination of the big cities and the catastrophe business was infinite frustration and a slow loss that took hours

I don't remember that rule. Is it one of the options in the reprint?

Sod the optional stuff; the base game is incredible. You play a game or two sort of flapping around and wondering what the hell is the point and then suddenly it clicks and you realise that every game plays out this wonderful rise and fall of empires.

I've had a few people bounce off it though, which I think is due to how hard it is to explain the rules. There's no real point of comparison to start from.

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
  • Magic PinkMagic Pink Tur-Boner-Fed Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Inquisitor wrote: »
    My local store says they have a bunch of copies of Gloomhaven already there, but won't break street date of Friday. They expect it to sell out by the end of the day but are sold out of pre-orders. How great *is* Gloom haven? Should I make the trip and pick it up? Everything I've read says yes, but I'm only just organizing a board game group, and don't know how regular we'll be.

Do you like dungeon crawls? It’s a specific genre.

it doesn't play like a dungeon crawl at all, more like a tedious euro-puzzler with very few rewards.
    The combat puzzle of Gloomhaven is incredibly good. If you like Euro-style hand management card games (e.g., Concordia, Mage Knight), then you'll find the movement and combat system very satisfying. Each turn you play two cards; the initiative value on the cards determines when you'll go in the round with respect to the monsters and all the other players. When it's your turn, each of your cards can do one of 4 things: a basic "top" action (a melee attack of strength 2), a basic "bottom" action (move 2 spaces), the text on the top half of the card (which is often, but not always, some kind of powerful attack), or the text on the bottom half of the card (which is often, but not always, some kind of powerful movement or stat buff). You pick one of the three top actions and one of the three bottom actions, and perform them in any order. The selected cards then go to your discard, where they'll stay until you "rest", which returns your discard to your hand, at the cost of losing one of those discarded cards for the remainder of the scenario. Monsters are controlled by a relatively simple AI deck that nevertheless results in interesting (and often surprising!) combinations with your choices.

One member of my game group (a group that mostly play strategy Euros: Concordia, Agricola, Food Chain Magnate, etc.) received a kickstarter copy of Gloomhaven a couple weeks ago. After one play, the other three people at that table immediately started researching how to acquire the game to play with their spouses, siblings, solo, etc. None of us tend toward dungeon crawls/RPGs, but the game works very well as a highly-themed Euro game with interested campaign/legacy mechanics added on.
    Our experience was the exact opposite. Combat thematically was a mess, it was slow, and absolutely no fun at all. The "legacy" aspect of the game is pretty much non-existent. Easily one of the worst games I got last year.

Magic Pink on
  • WearingglassesWearingglasses Of the friendly neighborhood variety Registered User regular
    edited January 2018
    The gift giving group and I ultimately went with Libertalia, partly in the grounds that they get to say "Yarrr":
    a friend wrote:
    Consider my timber shivered.

You have my gratitude, board game thread!

Wearingglasses on
  • SpawnbrokerSpawnbroker Registered User regular
    I am going to a board game meetup tonight at a board game cafe with people I've never met before. Should I bring some of my own games, or just show up? If I bring some, what complexity should I go for?

I'm thinking maybe just Kingdomino and Codenames, I'll err on the side of lighter stuff just in case.

Steam: Spawnbroker
  • InquisitorInquisitor Registered User regular
    I am going to a board game meetup tonight at a board game cafe with people I've never met before. Should I bring some of my own games, or just show up? If I bring some, what complexity should I go for?

I'm thinking maybe just Kingdomino and Codenames, I'll err on the side of lighter stuff just in case.

Bring games and leave them in your car is the best of both options imo, maximum flexibility. I think anything Carcassonne level or lighter would be good.

Inquisitor wrote: »

Bring games and leave them in your car is the best of both options imo, maximum flexibility. I think anything Carcassonne level or lighter would be good.

Okay now assume I have a small handbag and no storage space whatsoever, just what I can carry on my person :P

• mysticjuicermysticjuicer [he/him] I'm a muscle wizard and I cast P U N C HRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    If you're really limited in what you are physically able to bring, I wouldn't bring anything, or I would bring your smallest, most portable, easiest to explain game. If this is an established meet-up that you're going to for the first time, they're probably going to bring their own games.

mysticjuicer on
    narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
    My YouTube Channel! Featuring silly little Guilty Gear Strive videos and other stuff!
  • KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular
    Kingdomino and Codenames sounds safe. Being a board game cafe though, they should have plenty of options available so you'd be alright if you didn't want to bring anything.

Oh it’s at a cafe? I skimmed that part, bring nothing.

Thanks everyone, I think I'll stick with the filler/party game plan. I'm one of those people who always wants to play a heavier game that lasts 2 hours, but not every group has people like that.

• MNC DoverMNC Dover Full-time Voice Actor Kirkland, WARegistered User regular
    Someone make this for me, table and all:

p82f6x8nussv.jpg
    3jbsqcf6x3m3.jpg

Need a voice actor? Hire me at bengrayVO.com
    Legends of Runeterra: MNCdover #moc
    Switch ID: MNC Dover SW-1154-3107-1051
    Steam ID
    Twitch Page
    So random question for the thread, I'm going to be teaching Twilight Imperium, 4th Edition at a convention in March. In preparation for this, I'm hosting a Twilight Imperium day for some friends to see what snags I run into with teaching.

Does anyone have any teaching aids or helpful tips for me on introducing new people to this game? I sent around a youtube video I found and the rule books, but I'm going to assume that nobody will do that before the day of. My major concern I find when teaching heavy games like this is some people get very bored with long rules explanations, they just want to play. But I don't want to ruin the experience for someone by not mentioning a rule until it comes up later, especially an epic game like this one when they could be making decisions based on wrong assumptions.

So random question for the thread, I'm going to be teaching Twilight Imperium, 4th Edition at a convention in March. In preparation for this, I'm hosting a Twilight Imperium day for some friends to see what snags I run into with teaching.

Does anyone have any teaching aids or helpful tips for me on introducing new people to this game? I sent around a youtube video I found and the rule books, but I'm going to assume that nobody will do that before the day of. My major concern I find when teaching heavy games like this is some people get very bored with long rules explanations, they just want to play. But I don't want to ruin the experience for someone by not mentioning a rule until it comes up later, especially an epic game like this one when they could be making decisions based on wrong assumptions.

Keep the rules explanation relatively brief and play a demo turn as a table is my general advice for teaching groups that get bored.

• KetarKetar Come on upstairs we're having a partyRegistered User regular

The tech tree that MrBlarney is using in the game he's running right now would be really useful to print out and have at least two copies available. https://www.dropbox.com/s/tkdphg6em898tvc/TwilightImperium4e-TechTree.png?dl=0
    The decks of tech cards are great for people who know what they're doing, but can be tedious to go back and forth through while trying to decide on what to research for new players.

If people have never played any TI before make sure they understand that while combat is important, they're going to be best off if they balance building giant fleets against saving resources or influence to complete public objectives. And that getting bogged down in a war with a neighbor isn't usually worth it over a system or two - only if it's going to pay off through objective points.

You can probably save a little time at the beginning by only briefly mentioning the agenda phase prior to Mecatol Rex being invaded, or when someone needs to review agendas because they chose Politics. Players won't need an in-depth explanation of how it will work until then.

Make sure new players understand the importance of command tokens, and having them available to be able to play the secondaries of certain strategy cards or to take tactical actions.

• DissociaterDissociater Registered User regular
    So my group last night loved Eldritch Horror. We lost, but we lost in the best possible way: the final card turn of the game. If the card advanced doom, we lost, if it didn't, we won.

We really liked it and will play it again for sure. Also it seems like a complicated game but it actually really isn't. I can see myself buying some of the expansions.

OK so Gloomhaven might be out of the cards for me. My car battery died this morning so that was a $170 purchase I wasn't expecting. If I'm not getting Gloomhaven, can anyone recommend any good dungeon crawl board games that are a bit cheaper? I feel like I've heard good things about Dark Souls the Board game.

• Evil MultifariousEvil Multifarious Registered User regular
    Tigris & Euphrates is great. It's really fluid, and it changes dramatically as you learn to play better and more aggressively.

It is pretty dry, though. I love heavily interactive abstracts, but it's still an abstract, despite some fun thematic elements in its mechanics.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    On Monday, @Magic Pink brought over Vengence. I liked it a lot!

The main mechanic is that you play someone wronged by an asshole. You then track down the asshole, murder their goons, and then stone cold execute them. You get points for the takedown based on how much they hurt you, and if you kill the whole gang or not.

But before you can get your murder on, you need a montage (cue South Park). You roll dice based on your Mind score, draft dice from the communal pool, and then use those dice to enhance your montage actions, like healing your Health, Skill, and Mind from the original beatdown, buying abilities to convert die results to other die results, or gear.

Combat involves map tiles and rolling some picture dice. You can get Run, Stab, Shoot, and Thug Lyfe results. You roll three times or until you or everyone else is dead.

Enemies are inspired by numerous revenge and action movies (the bat guy from The Raid 2, for example). The PCs echo this; I played the girl from Leon, The Professional aged up to her teens.

Honestly the game feels like you are in a revenge movie. I felt like spitting on people's graves. Very satisfying to bust in and slaughter scumbags.

• HydroSqueegeeHydroSqueegee ULTRACAT!!!™®© Registered User regular
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Speaking of Gloomhaven, I got a call from my FLGS today. Apparently they did break ship date.

qNaHREc.jpg?1

I've never seen a board game where the shipping cartons only hold one copy of the game before. Note the stamp: Carton # _____ / 47000. So it looks like there were 47,000 copies printed (but I think that's for the Kickstarter and retail copies).

lD7lWv8.jpg

Uncartoned (along with bonus cat, not included in most copies).

Yeah, it's a big one. One of my guys keeps wanting me to pack it all up and drive it the half-hour to his place, and I'm just not doing it.
    Auralynx wrote: »
    Astaereth wrote: »
    How recommended is Gloomhaven solo?

It'd run fine solo, though you'd lose some of the tension of not knowing for sure where you've landed in the initiative order, the individual mission objectives and retirement goals, and so on. To be honest, I actually think Descent or Imperial Assault via the app is a better single-player experience than Gloomhaven would be.

Having played Gloomhaven and Descent solo a lot, Descent is much easier on the brain. But it doesn't really touch the depth of the over arching story of gloomhaven. I love both, and both are fun solo. But if you want something truly epic, Gloomhaven is the way to go.

I really dislike Gloomhaven's story, such as it is, because I don't think it really commits to or has anything to say related to the morally-gray Dark Fantasy set dressing it comes wrapped in. That's simultaneously my biggest problem with it and the one I'd be happiest to ignore if I was someone else looking at what I had to say about the game, as tastes vary.

I will admit the story is just run of the mill. But the way everything unfolds in a very long running campaign is fantastic.

kx3klFE.png
    So my group last night loved Eldritch Horror. We lost, but we lost in the best possible way: the final card turn of the game. If the card advanced doom, we lost, if it didn't, we won.

We really liked it and will play it again for sure. Also it seems like a complicated game but it actually really isn't. I can see myself buying some of the expansions.

OK so Gloomhaven might be out of the cards for me. My car battery died this morning so that was a $170 purchase I wasn't expecting. If I'm not getting Gloomhaven, can anyone recommend any good dungeon crawl board games that are a bit cheaper? I feel like I've heard good things about Dark Souls the Board game.

Well if you want a dungeon crawl, don't get gloomhaven. Its anything but.

If you just want to roll dice and murder things, Zombicide Black plague is fun.

kx3klFE.png
  • Medium DaveMedium Dave Registered User regular
    We work in a big building but there are only a handful of us here. We have a nice sized conference room with a BIG table but no one ever uses it.

Except for the board games. A couple of the guys play Magic in there routinely and right now, 2/3 of the table is set up with Gloomhaven and the other third is Mansions of Madness 1st edition, which we just played during lunch. I have stolen so much hair from these investigators.

It's pretty cool, being able to have that space to set up and several willing people at work, too (we work in television so there's a lot of nerdy people into this kind of shit.)

• AuralynxAuralynx Darkness is a perspective Watching the ego workRegistered User regular
    On Monday, "Magic Pink" brought over Vengence. I liked it a lot!

The main mechanic is that you play someone wronged by an asshole. You then track down the asshole, murder their goons, and then stone cold execute them. You get points for the takedown based on how much they hurt you, and if you kill the whole gang or not.

But before you can get your murder on, you need a montage (cue South Park). You roll dice based on your Mind score, draft dice from the communal pool, and then use those dice to enhance your montage actions, like healing your Health, Skill, and Mind from the original beatdown, buying abilities to convert die results to other die results, or gear.

Combat involves map tiles and rolling some picture dice. You can get Run, Stab, Shoot, and Thug Lyfe results. You roll three times or until you or everyone else is dead.

Enemies are inspired by numerous revenge and action movies (the bat guy from The Raid 2, for example). The PCs echo this; I played the girl from Leon, The Professional aged up to her teens.

Honestly the game feels like you are in a revenge movie. I felt like spitting on people's graves. Very satisfying to bust in and slaughter scumbags.

We had a pretty good time with it as well, though there were definitely some mix-ups related to under what circumstances you could score bases. It's a pretty solid game, and I enjoyed being the Parkour Guy and buying "Backflip," as a first upgrade.

kshu0oba7xnr.png

I just want to understand how Gloomhaven isn't a dungeon crawl? You walk into a room, and then you either murder everything in sight, or murder a specific amount of things, or reach a specific part of the map, or something like that. Is it because of the mechanics you use to do it? The lack of monster drops? Something else? Genuine question; I'm not trying to be a dick.

narwhal wrote:
    Why am I Terran?
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    edited January 2018
    Edit: bleh

Darric on
    *munches popcorn expectantly*

...I haven't played gloomhaven yet, but I like fun things, and gloomhaven looks like a fun thing. Don't really care what genre it falls into.

• DracomicronDracomicron Registered User regular
    I just want to understand how Gloomhaven isn't a dungeon crawl? You walk into a room, and then you either murder everything in sight, or murder a specific amount of things, or reach a specific part of the map, or something like that. Is it because of the mechanics you use to do it? The lack of monster drops? Something else? Genuine question; I'm not trying to be a dick.

Part of the issue is that there is apparently no mechanic for grabbing treasure after murdering all of the monsters. If you don't empty out the chests before killing the last enemy, an invisible forcefield apparently covers them and you need to leave the dungeon empty-handed.

In MY DAY, when we used to crawl in dungeons with our 10' poles and 50' of rope, dropping caltrops behind us, we killed the monsters and THEN rifled through their box of offal to find a bag of ten 5 gp agates and a +1 dagger (and we were happy about it!). Then we searched for secret doors and probably had a potion explosion or something.

Gloomhaven wants you to search the offal box and find the secret doors WHILE a raging melee is going on. Who does that? Well, maybe the thief, but he really should be angling for a backstab, instead. Gloomhaven rewards ONLY that behavior.

It is just such a gamey contrivance that it rubs some old fogeys like me the wrong way.

• LeumasWhiteLeumasWhite New ZealandRegistered User regular
    I mean, you could just say you auto-loot the treasure and/or equally split any remaining gold, if it really bothers you. But you're supposed to part of a group of mercenaries, and it's kind of thematic that your focus is split between moving the payload and getting those sweet dungeonbucks. It's supposed to create a bit of chaos.

QPPHj1J.jpg
  • DarricDarric Santa MonicaRegistered User regular
    It also makes a lot of decisions an interesting balancing act of co-operative and selfish. It's great.

Gloomhaven is a puzzle. Very intricate with a finite number of moves that can be made. Sure you murder dudes, but you better do it quick and efficiently before you run out of cards (become fatigued).

Traditional dungeon crawl? I have Grogar here facing down 3 or something, 2 Goblins and a sorcerer. I chuck my dice and kill everyone in a whirlwind of ultra violence after rolling 12 skulls. After I loot their corpses and wear a goblin skull as a hat.

kx3klFE.png
    I mean, you could just say you auto-loot the treasure and/or equally split any remaining gold, if it really bothers you. But you're supposed to part of a group of mercenaries, and it's kind of thematic that your focus is split between moving the payload and getting those sweet dungeonbucks. It's supposed to create a bit of chaos.

It doesn't, tho. It just makes it boring.

Part of the issue is that there is apparently no mechanic for grabbing treasure after murdering all of the monsters. If you don't empty out the chests before killing the last enemy, an invisible forcefield apparently covers them and you need to leave the dungeon empty-handed.

In MY DAY, when we used to crawl in dungeons with our 10' poles and 50' of rope, dropping caltrops behind us, we killed the monsters and THEN rifled through their box of offal to find a bag of ten 5 gp agates and a +1 dagger (and we were happy about it!). Then we searched for secret doors and probably had a potion explosion or something.

Gloomhaven wants you to search the offal box and find the secret doors WHILE a raging melee is going on. Who does that? Well, maybe the thief, but he really should be angling for a backstab, instead. Gloomhaven rewards ONLY that behavior.

It is just such a gamey contrivance that it rubs some old fogeys like me the wrong way.

Plus there's no exploration, the whole map is set up before you start the level.

Obviously some folks love the heck out of the thing but for us is was a dead fish.

I wish I had a gloomhaven group, but it's just so easy to chuck dice while drinking with friends.

kx3klFE.png