As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

No Grenades in Team Fortress 2...

• Options
    AdrienAdrien Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    ecchi wrote: »
    Sure, just like they saw grenades as a design flaw. That doesn't mean it's ultimately a bad thing! From Quake to TF to TFC, the best parts have been the originally-unintended ones.

If you mean just like they play tested with grenades, found there was a lot of spam, took them out, and it made the game more fun... Then, yes. Probably.

Adrien on
    tmkm.jpg
  • Options
    LingxorLingxor Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Is anyone else disappointed that there probably isn't enough time for them to make trailers for each class before the game comes out??

I mean... I want this game to come out as much as the next guy... but these videos are so fucking good.

Lingxor on
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adrien wrote: »
    Sure, just like they saw grenades as a design flaw. That doesn't mean it's ultimately a bad thing! From Quake to TF to TFC, the best parts have been the originally-unintended ones.

If you mean just like they play tested with grenades, found there was a lot of spam, took them out, and it made the game more fun... Then, yes. Probably.
    I'm probably going to duck out of this thread again (no need to start another 30-page flamewar) so I'll just say that yes, Robin Walker thinks TF2 is better without grenades. Robin Walker also does not like TFC. Therefore, as someone who considers TFC his favorite game of all time, I feel that Valve is making a lot of very bad decisions with TF2.

The game that Valve wants to make is better with respawn timers. The game that Valve wants to make is becoming more and more of a game that I don't want to play. Which is truly heartbreaking, because I absolutely love everything about TF2 aside from, well, the gameplay.

ecchi on
  • Options
    Flippy_DFlippy_D Digital Conquistador LondonRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lingxor wrote: »
    Is anyone else disappointed that there probably isn't enough time for them to make trailers for each class before the game comes out??

I mean... I want this game to come out as much as the next guy... but these videos are so fucking good.

Yes =(

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Lingxor wrote: »

I wasn't thinking there isn't enough time, so no. But the videos are awesome. They're better than 99.9% of the short videos I have ever seen. I'd love to find out who writes them.

Hoz on
  • Options
    DrovekDrovek Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    It's not like they can't keep making them after the game is done and released as a sort of extended ad campaign for the game. I would really love it if they could finish them all before release, but if you ask me to pick release or more videos it's release.

Drovek on
    steam_sig.png( < . . .
  • Options
    s3rial ones3rial one Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Drovek wrote: »
    It's not like they can't keep making them after the game is done and released as a sort of extended ad campaign for the game. I would really love it if they could finish them all before release, but if you ask me to pick release or more videos it's release.
    With the effort that they're putting into those videos, I'd guess they're going to do a full set as a "this is what this class is like" primer for newbies, included in the game.

s3rial one on
  • Options
    TurkeyTurkey So, Usoop. TampaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    s3rial one wrote: »
    Drovek wrote: »
    With the effort that they're putting into those videos, I'd guess they're going to do a full set as a "this is what this class is like" primer for newbies, included in the game.

I would overcharge my credit card preordering this game if this were to happen.

Turkey on
  • Options
    FencingsaxFencingsax It is difficult to get a man to understand, when his salary depends upon his not understanding GNU Terry PratchettRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    That Tzu pun is horrible though.

Fencingsax on
  • Options
    Houk the NamebringerHouk the Namebringer Nipples The EchidnaRegistered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Adrien wrote: »

I'm probably going to duck out of this thread again (no need to start another 30-page flamewar) so I'll just say that yes, Robin Walker thinks TF2 is better without grenades. Robin Walker also does not like TFC. Therefore, as someone who considers TFC his favorite game of all time, I feel that Valve is making a lot of very bad decisions with TF2.

The game that Valve wants to make is better with respawn timers. The game that Valve wants to make is becoming more and more of a game that I don't want to play. Which is truly heartbreaking, because I absolutely love everything about TF2 aside from, well, the gameplay.
    oh well. as a huge TFC fan, id rather have valve make the game valve wants to make, rather than the game you want them to make. because when they make games they want to make, they make stuff like half-life.

Houk the Namebringer on
  • Options
    tyrannustyrannus i am not fat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    have you seen the style of TF2? the polish? it'll be a new game with a TFC-ish theme, we don't need TFC revamped.

tyrannus on
  • Options
    BlueDestinyBlueDestiny Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Are we STILL arguing about the grenades? Sheesh. If people want grenades so badly TFC will still be actively played, like CS 1.6 is still actively played even though CSS is out.

BlueDestiny on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Oh man, I feel retarded for not understanding the Sun Tzu pun, I just thought it was funny anyway >.>

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    HozHoz Cool Cat Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    The "that's why they call all places with animals Zoos" at the end.

Hoz on
  • Options
    FodderFodder Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Yeah, I'd just thought the line was funny because it was really late when I first saw it. I didn't get the zoo/Tzu connection until Fencingsax mentioned it...

Fodder on
    steam_sig.png
  • Options
    electricitylikesmeelectricitylikesme Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Man, that one video, and then making me watch the heavy weapons video, has got me grinning so damn much.

electricitylikesme on
  • Options
    subediisubedii Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    Fencingsax wrote: »
    That Tzu pun is horrible though.

Yeah, so horrible it's awesome.

subedii on
  • Options
    The_LightbringerThe_Lightbringer Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
  • Options
    override367override367 ALL minions Registered User regular
    edited August 2007
    korodullin wrote: »
    I think ecchi pretty much nails it. It's hard to hop on a TFC server anymore and just tool around and have fun while winning some games. You basically have to be this perfectly-timed grenade savant to get anywhere, and it's a barrier to entry that, were it held over and redone in TF2, would have basically alienated many of the new players Valve is trying to reach out to with TF2.

I for one look forward to being able to play a game where the only sound you hear isn't the sound of a billion frag grenades going off at any given time at any given point on a map.

Thank god, yes, TFC is BOOM BOOM BOOM of grenades every .2 seconds

override367 on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    DUNDUNDUN.png

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Flippy_D wrote: »
    DUNDUNDUN.png

Im betting the thing for Tuesday is the demo/beta Shawn Elliot from GFW magazine mentioned a couple weeks back

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    DUNDUNDUN.png

Im betting the thing for Tuesday is the demo/beta Shawn Elliot from GFW magazine mentioned a couple weeks back

From the Steam thread:
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Gabe Newell says the orange box should be preloading Tuesday.

By the way, why do we still use this thread? Isn't the Steam thread sufficient?

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    I guess the Steam thread is a little blanket-y. I don't know, I just figured since we had this thread and the game is big enough to warrant it...

Flippy_D on
    p8fnsZD.png
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Lumping every game on Steam in the Steam thread is like discussing every 360 game in the same thread.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    AbelsAbels Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Hoz wrote: »
    The "that's why they call all places with animals Zoos" at the end.

UNLESS IT'S A FARM

Abels on
  • Options
    bloodyroarxxbloodyroarxx Casa GrandeRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Peewi wrote: »
    DUNDUNDUN.png

From the Steam thread:
    LaCabra wrote: »
    Gabe Newell says the orange box should be preloading Tuesday.

By the way, why do we still use this thread? Isn't the Steam thread sufficient?

yea but preloading is hardly a reason to wait on scheduling holidays, playing it is.

bloodyroarxx on
  • Options
    SheepSheep Registered User, __BANNED USERS regular
    edited September 2007
    The only thing that bums me out about grenades is that I can no longer make people sick/disoriented by proxy.

Can you use the Medic to infect people still?

Sheep on
  • Options
    PancakePancake Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Sleep wrote: »
    The only thing that bums me out about grenades is that I can no longer make people sick/disoriented by proxy.

If I remember right, no, you can't.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    areaarea Registered User regular
    edited September 2007

This would be the best thing ever - I go back to university the week before TF2 is released, where I'm not able play, which has irritated me intensely for months, as TFC is one of my favourite games ever.

area on
  • Options
    RandomEngyRandomEngy Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Pancake wrote: »

And good riddance. All it did was get you screwed over by idiot teammates. If you weren't stupid, you'd just kill the medic, suicide, then get back to defending.

RandomEngy on
    Profile -> Signature Settings -> Hide signatures always. Then you don't have to read this worthless text anymore.
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    RandomEngy wrote: »

And good riddance. All it did was get you screwed over by idiot teammates. If you weren't stupid, you'd just kill the medic, suicide, then get back to defending.

I wasn't supposed to run back to my spawn and eat up all my team's health packs for the rest of the match?

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    BarcardiBarcardi All the Wizards Under A Rock: AfganistanRegistered User regular
    edited September 2007
    how can you have an assassins map without conc jumping medics? what about rocket jumping? nades made TFC for me :(... i mean... how the hey will the demoman operate? apparently now his job is to stand there and continually repair his turret?

i hope they dont remove the headshot

Barcardi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »
    how can you have an assassins map without conc jumping medics? what about rocket jumping? nades made TFC for me :(... i mean... how the hey will the demoman operate? apparently now his job is to stand there and continually repair his turret?

Rocket jumping is still in the game and the demoman still has grenades, but he's the only one.

Pancake on
    wAgWt.jpg
  • Options
    PeewiPeewi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Barcardi wrote: »

Rocket jumping is still in the game and the demoman still has grenades, but he's the only one.

Do we really know for certain whether the soldier has grenades? Even though we didn't see him use any, he had some in his video.

Peewi on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    He doesn't, the grenades thing is sorta like a bitchslap in the face of ppl who want it.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    FyreWulffFyreWulff YouRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    edited September 2007
    He doesn't, the grenades thing is sorta like a bitchslap in the face of ppl who want it.

Then they should continue to play TFC.

FyreWulff on
  • Options
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Yes I agree, or fortress forever. Which combines both relative realism and grenades that old timers want so badly.

The_Lightbringer on
    LuciferSig.jpg
  • Options
    AvenroshAvenrosh Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    FyreWulff wrote: »

Yes I agree, or fortress forever. Which combines both relative realism and grenades that old timers want so badly.

Or they could just wait for 15 minutes after TF2 is released for the inevitable "grenade mod."

Avenrosh on
  • Options
    ecchiecchi Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Avenrosh wrote: »
    Or they could just wait for 15 minutes after TF2 is released for the inevitable "grenade mod."
    People keep saying this but they clearly don't understand that mods don't work that way. Do you see CS mods that add in the riot shield? Or really do anything at all to the core gameplay? Grenades can't be modded into TF2 in any usable way. Server-side mods are very limited in scope, and nobody can make a client-side version because Valve doesn't release the source for its own mods.

And as much as I wish TF2 had grenades, I don't think simply adding them back into the game would be a good thing. The game has been balanced -- for better or for worse -- to not have them.

ecchi on
  • Options
    NarianNarian Registered User regular
    edited September 2007
    Grenades are the worst thing about TFC anyways.

Narian on
    Narian.gif