As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Is it possible to fight the uber boss before beating the final boss?

Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

Dragkonias on
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    so after digesting the ending... man this game is so close to top KH 2 for me but falls short just a little. It's still a great game and, kinda like Re2, a nostalgia trip to an era of games long gone (PS2 JRpgs).

I do wonder where do they go from here. I think I'm back in the camp that thinks that KH should just ditch the Disney side and embrace its lore. But man then I remember the good parts of Arendelle and well...

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Well, I don't even think that can. Not sure how the contract works but apparently Sora and the KH original characters belong to Disney.

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    so after digesting the ending... man this game is so close to top KH 2 for me but falls short just a little. It's still a great game and, kinda like Re2, a nostalgia trip to an era of games long gone (PS2 JRpgs).

I do wonder where do they go from here. I think I'm back in the camp that thinks that KH should just ditch the Disney side and embrace its lore. But man then I remember the good parts of Arendelle and well...

While it may have started as a partnership, Disney owns all the characters, and Square is pretty much just the developer.

• Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I can’t believe Goofy has died three times.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    H0b0man wrote: »
    Javen wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »
    Ok the ultima keyblade is op as hell. It's formchange pretty much just kills everything that is vaguely around you. Plus I really like how it looks in this game.

Ending/Secret Cutscene stuff
    So it seems like most of the mobile game stuff is being left for whatever sequel they're setting up. You have 4 of the 5 union leaders back, ventus has his spirit cat thing back (though not sure if that indicates that he remembers his part from the mobile game and that he's old af).

Ever since Xigbar said that "Let your heart be your guiding key" line in the beginning I was expecting him to be the Master of Masters. His mannerisms and voice reminded me a lot of him from the back cover movie in 2.8. Going to need to rewatch it and just make sure I wasn't getting the MoM and Luxu's voices mixed up. Also they really did spend the entire game teasing the box just for us to still not know anything more about it than we did before the game came out.

As for the secret movie I have no idea wtf that is supposed to indicate. I guess it could be TWEWY related. It's already established that Shibuya exists thanks to DDD. I suppose Sora and Riku will go there in the next game while looking for Kairi.

So it seems pretty safe to assume the next game starts with looking for Kairi and is going to go more into the mobile game lore. I'm really hoping that since the Xehanort stuff is over we're done with having tons of copies of the same dude and making new versions of guys I killed in prior games. KH felt like it was getting real bloated plot wise and this could be a way for them to go forward while shedding a bunch of that. Most of the stuff that confused me about KH lore was tied to Xehanort and all his different forms. Hopefully the next chapter in the series can avoid that.

I got up early so I could finish the game before I go to work

And now I have a question about the Ending & Secret Ending
    So, in the music video ending, we see Kairi sitting with Sora, and then Sora vanishes, implying that he fucked up while using the Power of Waking and is now lost somewhere. At least, that's how I interpreted it. Sora found her, which is why she's back on Destiny Islands with everyone, but now Sora is gone.

Then, in the secret ending, we see Sora arrive in Shibuya (which is fucking wild, but let's ignore that for now). Riku then arrives immediately after, almost like they were travelling together. But that can't be possible given what we see in musical ending. So is it just creative license and meant to imply that Riku went after Sora after seeing him disappear? Or am I interpreting stuff totally wrong?

That’s mostly what I got from it
    Sora gets lost, and wakes up in Shibuya. Riku dives after him, but gets sent to an FFXV-esque world instead.
    Oh, Riku ended up in a different place? That might be what I missed. I'll need to watch the Secret Ending again when I get back from work.
    When it plays Riku's section, music from FFXV plays, and the cityscape vaguely resembles Insomnia, the protagonists home. But the character on the roof is actually Yozora, the guy from the video game it shows off in the Toy Box world, that was basically just a tongue-in-cheek reference to FFXV, or FF Versus 13, which never came out?

As usual, the secret movies only very tangentially tie into anything current. The 3 armored keyblade users vs mysterious old man was just as confounding after the release of KH2
    I don't actually think Kairi is really on Destiny Islands. They showed everybody else hanging out and getting together before the beach party, but nothing with Sora and Kairi. I think it'd be weird to just have the whole save Kairi thing happen 100% offscreen. If they wanted some excuse for Sora to be missing there are a ton of other things they could have done instead of fucking up with Kairi's character in this game. I took it more as just visual imagery showing the connection the two have with each other, but that they still can't be together because of anime bullshit. Who knows though. Maybe she's actually back and they did the entire thing without showing us a single moment from it.

As for the secret movie I have no idea. It's going to be a moment from the next game and that's about all we can tell. Prob has to do with Nomura being upset that he got removed from versus XIII and wanting to put that shit in KH now.

There's also a ton of other plot threads that are still loose that I had forgotten about when I first finished the game. Like who is that girl that Lea and Isa became nobodies to look for and that Xemnas was asking Ansem the Wise about? What's up with the card Luxord gave Sora? What's going on with Demyx and Vexen? They just kinda go away after they deliver Roxas' body. They had that whole scene with Xemnas and some of the organization members about how members 9-12 were chosen for a specific reason. I know that Marluxia and Larxene were from the mobile game, but I don't remember anything about the other 2. I'm assuming it's the same thing and the game just hasn't gotten to reveal them yet, but why does that matter to Xemnas?
    The reason I read the beach scene as being literal when it showed Kairi and Sora is because, near the end of showing all the other characters, Riku (I think) points to something off screen. And then it immediately cuts to Sora and Kairi sitting in the tree. Though Sora being there could just still be only what Kairi “sees” with her heart or whatever, which is why he dissolves. Or I could just be reading that sequence totally wrong. I’ll have to watch both endings again when I get back home.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Random question:

Also one thing that is really making me sad in this game is reminding me of Yakuza 6. A series that has had an arena drops the arena in the game with the coolest combat where you most want to have cool arena fights. Real sad.

Nope. The secret boss is a product of things that only appear after you beat the game.

Fuuuuck.

Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

Thanks in advance.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Fuuuuck.

Ok you can answer this in a spoiler if you need to but don't actually tell me any details.

Is there some sort of story attached to it or does it make sense that fighting it takes place after the main story is over?

Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles

• Options
    T4CTT4CT BAFTA-NOMINATED NAFTA-APPROVEDRegistered User regular
    Ok the ultima keyblade is op as hell. It's formchange pretty much just kills everything that is vaguely around you. Plus I really like how it looks in this game.

So it seems like most of the mobile game stuff is being left for whatever sequel they're setting up. You have 4 of the 5 union leaders back, ventus has his spirit cat thing back (though not sure if that indicates that he remembers his part from the mobile game and that he's old af).

Ever since Xigbar said that "Let your heart be your guiding key" line in the beginning I was expecting him to be the Master of Masters. His mannerisms and voice reminded me a lot of him from the back cover movie in 2.8. Going to need to rewatch it and just make sure I wasn't getting the MoM and Luxu's voices mixed up. Also they really did spend the entire game teasing the box just for us to still not know anything more about it than we did before the game came out.

As for the secret movie I have no idea wtf that is supposed to indicate. I guess it could be TWEWY related. It's already established that Shibuya exists thanks to DDD. I suppose Sora and Riku will go there in the next game while looking for Kairi.

So it seems pretty safe to assume the next game starts with looking for Kairi and is going to go more into the mobile game lore. I'm really hoping that since the Xehanort stuff is over we're done with having tons of copies of the same dude and making new versions of guys I killed in prior games. KH felt like it was getting real bloated plot wise and this could be a way for them to go forward while shedding a bunch of that. Most of the stuff that confused me about KH lore was tied to Xehanort and all his different forms. Hopefully the next chapter in the series can avoid that.

So, in the music video ending, we see Kairi sitting with Sora, and then Sora vanishes, implying that he fucked up while using the Power of Waking and is now lost somewhere. At least, that's how I interpreted it. Sora found her, which is why she's back on Destiny Islands with everyone, but now Sora is gone.

Then, in the secret ending, we see Sora arrive in Shibuya (which is fucking wild, but let's ignore that for now). Riku then arrives immediately after, almost like they were travelling together. But that can't be possible given what we see in musical ending. So is it just creative license and meant to imply that Riku went after Sora after seeing him disappear? Or am I interpreting stuff totally wrong?

Sora gets lost, and wakes up in Shibuya. Riku dives after him, but gets sent to an FFXV-esque world instead.
    Oh, Riku ended up in a different place? That might be what I missed. I'll need to watch the Secret Ending again when I get back from work.
    When it plays Riku's section, music from FFXV plays, and the cityscape vaguely resembles Insomnia, the protagonists home. But the character on the roof is actually Yozora, the guy from the video game it shows off in the Toy Box world, that was basically just a tongue-in-cheek reference to FFXV, or FF Versus 13, which never came out?

As usual, the secret movies only very tangentially tie into anything current. The 3 armored keyblade users vs mysterious old man was just as confounding after the release of KH2

Destinations:
    Sora ends up in TWEWY world (the 104 on the building gives this away, I think), and then yeah, Riku ends up in Virium Rex world (from the Yozora stuff in Toy Box) I guess??

How they got there wise - it remains to be seen the lore explanation in the actual world about why he disappears, but hear this galaxy brain one out: the chess board has pieces that specifically correspond to the players throughout the KH lore, and (either unbeknownst to them or knowingly), the actions on the chess board actually control the destiny of the characters, so the end scene where Eraqus resets Sora's piece is why he gets teleported to TWEWY hehehehehehehe

• Options
    I've got a lot of thoughts now that I'm finally actually finished it and I need to unpack them all a little bit but damn, great game!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Fuuuuck.

Thanks in advance.
    Nope, honestly its just a really strong Heartless. Not anywhere near as cool as the Sephiroth or Terra battles
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Fuuuuck.

Thanks in advance.
    Well fuck. That alone may honestly keep the game from reaching into my top 10. Nothing is more obnoxious to me than pointlessly placing content behind beating a game. It's just such bad design it drives me crazy. I don't know why it's become so common recently.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Fuuuuck.

Thanks in advance.
    nah, I actually like when they do that. What's the point of getting ultimate weapons if you don't have a place to use them besides the final boss. imho, it gives me a reason to come back and keep playing the game. but that's me.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I just finished this game

I mostly really liked it! I just missed the Final Fantasy characters, and also
    They did Kairi fuckin dirty

Her saving Sora and the game using the endings of Tangled and Frozen as foreshadowing to do it was cool

But why even give her a keyblade if she's still just going to get yanked around by bad guys

• Options
    I miss the coliseum part of Olympus so much.

Which isn’t super fair to say, since Thebes and Olympus proper are the most interesting the actual world has ever been. But I love having arenas to fight in.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Honestly I just think the game needs the Final Mix treatment.

Ramp up the difficulty a bit, Add some new boss fights and maybe an arena, add a new world or two with some extra story/scenes and then some more keyblades and other items and there you go.

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    i am so fucking bad at all these cooking minigames

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    i am so fucking bad at all these cooking minigames

I started save scumming them. Which ain't great considering the load time on either end of a trip to the bistro.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    T4CT wrote: »

Destinations:
    Sora ends up in TWEWY world (the 104 on the building gives this away, I think), and then yeah, Riku ends up in Virium Rex world (from the Yozora stuff in Toy Box) I guess??

How they got there wise - it remains to be seen the lore explanation in the actual world about why he disappears, but hear this galaxy brain one out: the chess board has pieces that specifically correspond to the players throughout the KH lore, and (either unbeknownst to them or knowingly), the actions on the chess board actually control the destiny of the characters, so the end scene where Eraqus resets Sora's piece is why he gets teleported to TWEWY hehehehehehehe
    Have all the chess pieces been explained? I know 5 of the dark pieces correspond to the 5 union leaders, then one with a heart icon and another demon looking one; I imagine for Luxu and MoM, but I’m not familiar with the icons themselves.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Random question:

Fuuuuck.

Thanks in advance.
    That doesn't change if they allow it before the end boss. That content is still available for you to play whenever you want. Nothing changes for you at all in this scenario. That's why I say it's bad design. The people who like coming back to a game after the end boss have it exactly the same either way.
    Locking it after the boss has a bunch of downsides with no actual reason or gain. It's a very silly thing to do.
    Agree to disagree. I see your point but I just think it's like the Super Mario approach to difficulty. Here's some extra stuff that isn't part of the critical path that you can attempt afterwards. I don't consider it bad design but again I respect if you like the old school approach to extra bosses.

• Options
    The one that still worries me each time is cracking eggs. Pepper requires some timing (and remembering that it's down, not click-in), and flambe can easily be overshot if you're too fast on the spin, but it can be done well if you're careful.

Chopping is braindead easy, though.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    yeah now I'm debating how deep I want to go with this. Ultima Weapon looks like a pain in the ass. It usually is but man...I thought we had moved on the minigame nightmare that FFX was. but I know I'm gonna do it but uuuuuugh. by the way slight keyblade spoilers
    deeply disappointed that there was no Oathkeeper this time around. I mean yeah Roxas has it but hmph. And even if it's not the best I love Beymax's Keyblade. Stupid POTC one is just too damn good not to use.

• Options
    MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    Dragon Maleficent can eat my entire ass.

Also Riku looks REALLY STUPID in his muscle suit/grass skirt combo outfit

• Options
    Well, I probably won’t beat this game tonight. I did get Maleficient and the second Riku fight though.

• Options
    SyphonBlueSyphonBlue The studying beaver That beaver sure loves studying!Registered User regular
    Who the fuck thought finding 300 crabs was a worthwhile and fun endeavor?

LxX6eco.jpg
    PSN/Steam/NNID: SyphonBlue | BNet: SyphonBlue#1126
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    SyphonBlue wrote: »

Did you know that if you find 500 in that section, the game forces you to stop

Because I was going to just keep going

• Options

PLEASE

NO MORE CRABS

• Options
    Sanctuary

Honestly that kind of just felt like filler because without it...the crit path for the PotC world is like what...30 minutes.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Moriveth wrote: »

PLEASE

NO MORE CRABS

In order to upgrade the ship all the way you need 1700!

I'm afraid it's going to be Yes More Crabs

• Options
    H0b0manH0b0man Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

This is 100% what happened to me. I can't help it if I still had a ton of Port Royal to explore when I hit 300.

FFXIV: Agran Trask
  • Options
    So originally I was gonna go full on and try and get all the keyblades/etc in kh1 and then I looked at the requirements and fuuuuck that

I may try and get the dalmatians and trinity marks though, just because I’m so close already?

Anyway what game should I try next after this? I don’t know if I’d get through any of the numerous side games but I figure I may as well give them a shot. I’ve got the 1.5/2.5 HD Collection for ps4.

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    So originally I was gonna go full on and try and get all the keyblades/etc in kh1 and then I looked at the requirements and fuuuuck that

I may try and get the dalmatians and trinity marks though, just because I’m so close already?

Anyway what game should I try next after this? I don’t know if I’d get through any of the numerous side games but I figure I may as well give them a shot. I’ve got the 1.5/2.5 HD Collection for ps4.

Chain of Memories is next, and I would recommend experiencing the story for it one way or another.

You could give it a shot and if you don't find the card gameplay fun then just watch a cutscene compilation on YouTube.

After that is KH2, which is a must-play.

• Options
    Simple & Clean

Honestly, I’d watch videos of Chain of Memories, and 358/2, but gameplay wise jump straight to KH2, then Birth By Sleep, then watch a video of DDD, then KH3

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Don't watch the 358/2 movie until after you have played KH2, even though it's on the menu first.

It casually spoils a shitload of KH2 stuff.

• Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean

I recommend watching a summary/cutscene video for Chain of Memories. Definitely play KH2 and BBS. I like DDD, but it's not really necessary to play, since most of the important plot happens right at the end. I'd play Fragmentary Passage, too, cuz it's short and pretty fun.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    You should play DDD cause it's fun

• Options
    Okay, I’ll probably give CoM a shot but if I don’t like it I’ll just watch summaries.

DDD looks interesting to me but that’s in the 2.8 collection which 1) what a STUPID name and 2) I don’t have that yet, so

• Options
    Also honestly think if you're getting into the plot it's probably worth watching the KH X Back Cover cause it's only an hour long and you might wanna know some shit

here's a youtube link

• Options
    Simple & Clean
    DDD might be my absolutely least favorite title in the series, for all the completely shitty stuff it does with the plot.

• Options
    edited February 2019
    I can’t agree that it does anything beyond the pale, or even particularly bad.

But that’s a fight that got old 5 years ago. So id rather agree to disagree on this one.

Enlong on