As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
edited November 2020 in Social Entropy++
So like 4 different threads today had lengthy discussions about the Kingdom Hearts series, so let's quarantine that shit in one centralized location so we can burn and clear it

250px-Kingdom_Hearts.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS was released in 2002 for the PS2. It's the first game in the series, the one that kicked off the whole nightmare.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: Very much so, it's the basis for everything that comes after.

KingdomHeartsCoMCover_.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS: CHAIN OF MEMORIES was released in 2004 for the Game Boy Advance, and it's a sprite-based 2D action game with heavy card game elements. It was later remade as a 3D game in 2008.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: Absolutely, it's the next step in the mainline story and introduces approximately 1 billion concepts that would be explored in the next game and all the ones after.

250px-Kingdom_Hearts_II_%28PS2%29.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS II was released in 2006 for the PS2, and it steps up everything from the original game to a significant degree, including the amount of JRPG Bullshit in the story, for better and for worse. There were a lot of enemies on screen at once and you went into Tron.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: Just as much as the previous two, Kingdom Hearts 2 advances the main plot significantly and adds a lot of important characters to the story.

256px-Kingdom_Hearts_coded_logo.png
KINGDOM HEARTS CODED was released episodically for mobile phones from 2008 to 2010. I don't really know anything about this one, but it was remade as KINGDOM HEARTS RE:CODED for DS in 2011, and is included on the collections.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: A little bit, I think? It includes a little bit of extra story advancement towards setting the stage for the final game, but is mostly set during the original game.

250px-KingdomdaysNA.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS 358/2 DAYS was released for the DS in 2009. It's set between the first and second games, following the story of Roxas leading up to Kingdom Hearts II.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: If you're strictly interested in what you need to know for the final game, probably not, but it has a lot of good backstory stuff which may or may not end up relevant.

Kingdom_Hearts_Birth_by_Sleep_Boxart.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS BIRTH BY SLEEP was released for the PSP in 2010. It's a prequel set 10 years before the events of the series.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: If you only play one post-KH2 game in the leadup to 3, it should be this one. It kinda turns out this game introduces sorta the core premise of the entire series, like, say, the main villain, who is introduced in this game, and several other major characters who will likely be crucial in KH3.

256px-KH3D_Euro_Cover.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS 3D: DREAM DROP DISTANCE was released in 2012 for the 3DS, hence the three D title, like it's a 2004 Castlevania game. This one adds a weird sorta Pokemon system to the series' usual hack-n-slash combat.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: This is one of the only spinoffs to actually take place after Kingdom Hearts II and move forward, directly setting the stage for KH3, but it's more or less a game-long training sequence.

250px-Kingdom_Hearts_X_logo.png
KINGDOM HEARTS χ was released in 2013 for mobile devices. Y'all, I'm gonna level with you here. I haven't played all these games, but I know the deal with most of them. I don't know ANYTHING about this one.
DOES THIS ONE MATTER?: It cannot possibly matter. They can't be that crazy.

250px-KingdomHearts3-logo.jpg
KINGDOM HEARTS III will allegedly be released in 2018 for PS4 and Xbox One. This is the one we've been waiting for for eleven goddamned years. Supposedly the final entry in this series' plotline, Kingdom Hearts 3 will also include worlds based on Big Hero Six and Toy Story. Kingdom Hearts is so old that both of these things were fairly new when the series started.
WILL THIS ONE MATTER?: It goddamn well better.

That was a very poor overlook of the series. Let's talk about what really matters.

What's the best song? Your answers will be graded and judged harshly:

6F32U1X.png
Mr. G on

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy 97 votes

Simple & Clean
60%
Munkus BeaverMulysaSemproniusJavenDevlin_Dragonusfightinfilipinocj iwakuraBahamutZEROsarukunsilence1186rhylithFCDBucketmanRiokennexistMaximumVann DirasSpeed RacerMx. QuilleddizhereGoatmon 59 votes
Sanctuary
39%
Kevin CristPerrsunDJ Eebslionheart_mKelorSimBenDragkoniasHakuninBaroque And RollUnbreakableVowMortal SkySomestickguyLockedOnTargetDemonStaceyRadiusDaebunzMr. GPlatySir PlatypusEtiowsa 38 votes

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Kingdom Hearts χ is bad

Trust me on this

IKknkhU.gif
  • RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Stilts you traitor

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    You should play birth by sleep between 1 and 2

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    What does that Chain of Memories remake do?

I've never actually seen it, but I liked the card game stuff in the GBA game well enough, does it keep that or does it just become like 1 and 2

6F32U1X.png
  • Romanian My EscutcheonRomanian My Escutcheon Two of Forks Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    They should bring back the Gummi Ship for KH3.

[IMG][/img]
    edited August 2017
    Simple & Clean
    Radius wrote: »
    Stilts you traitor

When you walk away

You won't hear me say

"Oh baaaaaaaaaby, don't go"

Stilts on
    IKknkhU.gif
  • BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I'm gonna go maximum big anime fan also and say I prefer the japanese version of simple and clean to the english version
    it's one of the better "replace japanese pop song lyrics with english ones and make it not sound like shit" attempts I've heard, but at the end of the day I still prefer lyrics I literally don't understand but sound nice to lyrics that feel like a word salad trying to contort itself into the space left by the original lyrics

BahamutZERO.gif
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    There is a part of me that is really considering buying a PS4 just for all the collected editions of this.

I hate that part of me so very much.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Sanctuary
    Simple & Clean is a great song for what Kingdom Hearts turned out not to be, Sanctuary is perfect for what Kingdom Hearts is

Simple & Clean is about like grounded relationship drama

Sanctuary is weird and grand and it shouldn't work but somehow it brings out this emotional reaction

6F32U1X.png
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    A few weeks ago there was a KH discussion in the podcast thread and it led me to watching one of those YouTube videos where they compile all the cutscenes and ughhhh

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
    Simple & Clean
    I'm gonna go maximum big anime fan also and say I prefer the japanese version of simple and clean to the english version
    it's one of the better "replace japanese pop song lyrics with english ones and make it not sound like shit" attempts I've heard, but at the end of the day I still prefer lyrics I literally don't understand but sound nice to lyrics that feel like a word salad trying to contort itself into the space left by the original lyrics

I really like both the English and Japanese versions of Simple & Clean

Unlike both the pop songs in FFX-2, which sound far better in their Japanese versions.

IKknkhU.gif
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    They're both about equal in my mind but I have to balance out Dan

PNk1Ml4.png
  • wirehead26wirehead26 Registered User regular
    Still dreading the news of no Marvel and Star Wars levels

I'M NOT FINISHED WITH YOU!!!
    Sanctuary
    I was going to include a third option of I'll Make A Man Out Of You from Mulan but I decided I needed hard real data

6F32U1X.png
  • MadicanMadican No face Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I would have selected "I'll Make a Man Out of You."

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Stilts wrote: »

I really like both the English and Japanese versions of Simple & Clean

Unlike both the pop songs in FFX-2, which sound far better in their Japanese versions.

god yes it's miles and miles better than that crap

BahamutZERO.gif
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I was going to include a third option of I'll Make A Man Out Of You from Mulan but I decided I needed hard real data

That song does not exist in KH, sadly

We can only hope that KH3 will feature a return to Mulan's world where there's a rhythm-based training-montage minigame set to it

IKknkhU.gif
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGidvt4NTPI
    What I will say is the orchestral version of Simple & Clean works ridiculously well

I don't remember what trailer this was used in or where it's cued in the game but the emotional impact of that stuck with me very well

Basically if there's a moment near the end of KH3 where they cue this up it is going to just devastate me

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah, for me Simple & Clean wins out through sheer emotional weight

They use that thing as a leitmotif so incredibly well

IKknkhU.gif
    Sanctuary
    gosh now that I've brought it up

there is absolutely going to be a pivotal moment near the end of that game where they are going to play Simple & Clean and it is going to actually kill me, I will be 25 years old and instantly brought back to when I was like 10 and I will just be completely overwhelmed despite calling the shot right now

6F32U1X.png
  • -Tal-Tal Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    That was used in the kh3d intro and it was very good

PNk1Ml4.png
    Sanctuary
    Stilts wrote: »
    Yeah, for me Simple & Clean wins out through sheer emotional weight

They use that thing as a leitmotif so incredibly well

Agreed

but the reversed lyrics in Sanctuary trigger an actual feeling of euphoria in me almost every time.

Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    gosh now that I've brought it up

there is absolutely going to be a pivotal moment near the end of that game where they are going to play Simple & Clean and it is going to actually kill me, I will be 25 years old and instantly brought back to when I was like 10 and I will just be completely overwhelmed despite calling the shot right now

I am 100% certain I am going to cry at some point during KH3

80% certain I will cry multiple times

IKknkhU.gif
    Sanctuary
    So we all boycott this if there's no Utada Hikaru track, right?

• Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I wanna say that orchestral version of S&C was used in the trailer for 2 that ended with Mickey in the Org XIII cloak.

Sanctuary
    Radius wrote: »
    So we all boycott this if there's no Utada Hikaru track, right?

They confirmed her involvement a long time ago, I bet that song's been done for years

6F32U1X.png
  • Vann DirasVann Diras Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    pretty sure I can't hear that title screen piano track without being ejected from my body into a spiritual realm of pure emotion

Like sometimes I just suddenly think of it and I'm forced to stop what I'm doing and just sit with it a moment

These games left a fierce impression on me, I love them and their stupid bullshit so much

Sanctuary
    Thanks, I had always assumed it was happening, but had never seen anything actually confirming it.

Sanctuary
    Now that I've been playing one of these games again for a bit, I looked at the most recent KH3 footage again, the first time it actually looked like a game I could play

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=E4y7UK4nqnQ

and wow this looks way more fun

They've made Sora take up way less of the screen and made him way the hell faster, he is zipping across the screen and it looks like a blast to play

6F32U1X.png
  • Mx. QuillMx. Quill I now prefer "Myr. Quill", actually... {They/Them}Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    ...I'm probably gonna replace my busted PS4 and buy that collection tomorrow.

You did this to me, PA Forums. You did this to meeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee~ *sucked into the darkness portal*

• LorahaloLorahalo Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Yeah I might hook up my brother's PS4 and start playing it, because I do love me some KH.

I have a podcast about Digimon called the Digital Moncast, on Audio Entropy.
  • LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    edited August 2017
    Sanctuary
    Man it's gonna be a real bummer to not hear Nimoy as Xehanort anymore.

He hammed it up so well.

LockedOnTarget on
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Kingdom Hearts x is mostly just ancient history lore.

Buuuuut it does set up some possible story hooks.
    what's in the boooooox!?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • replacewythyreplacewythy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Thank god, I can stop reading other threads now.

• RMS OceanicRMS Oceanic Registered User regular
    Best song is Hollow Bastion's combat theme

• UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    They should bring back the Gummi Ship for KH3.

If anyone at Square working on the game says this, they should immediately be fired

• Theodore FlooseveltTheodore Floosevelt proud parent of eight beautiful girls and shalmelo dorne (which is currently being ruled by a woman (awesome role model for my daughters)) #dornedadRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    i don't know much about kingdom hearts, but i needed to rep sanctuary

f2ojmwh3geue.png
  • YaYaYaYa Decent. Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    ...So I only played KH1 and 2 at release

if I, I dunno, did something really stupid like get that PS4 collection

What order should I go in

• rhylithrhylith Death Rabbits HoustonRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    YaYa wrote: »
    ...So I only played KH1 and 2 at release

if I, I dunno, did something really stupid like get that PS4 collection

What order should I go in

I think it's the order they appear on the title screen.