As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    That is super awesome to hear!

Hopefully this sends the message to Square that they can still make games like this that don't rely on a "games as a service" model or piles of DLC.

They're probably mainly thinking about how much more money they can make if they make KH3 into a game as a service with piles of DLC

it's not possible to be too cynical when it comes to Square

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    LET A MAN DREAM YOU SAVAGES!

edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    honestly I'd be very okay with this game getting the FF15 treatment

how about a DLC episode where you play as Squall and see what the Radiant Garden crew were up to, and that's where you get your Sephiroth fight

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
  • DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    honestly I'd be very okay with this game getting the FF15 treatment

how about a DLC episode where you play as Squall and see what the Radiant Garden crew were up to, and that's where you get your Sephiroth fight

HSSSSSS!

But I am legit happy(and I hope it stays true) that Nomura said there would be no DLC stuff like that outside of *maybe* a Final Mix somewhere down the line.

Sanctuary
    1v1 multiplayer mode where you play as Kairi and Lea in their training forest

It makes about as much sense as FF15 getting 4-player online!

6F32U1X.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Today's story update for KHUX finally left "revisit the Disney worlds for no reason" limbo we'd been stuck in for months and had a huge scene between Maleficent and some cloaked figure who asked to be called "Darkness." They discussed time travel and Maleficent's role in the entire series and all kinds of stuff. I was floored.

Sanctuary
    KH3 Epilogue in 1 image.
    Brad-Pitt-Meme_02.jpg

• BahamutZEROBahamutZERO Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    the last gauntlet in KH1 is like, the best part

BahamutZERO.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    LET A MAN DREAM YOU SAVAGES!

Don’t chase the dreams. They'll lead you nowhere, just to an abyss you'll never be able to wake up from.

• WeedLordVegetaWeedLordVegeta Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Today's story update for KHUX finally left "revisit the Disney worlds for no reason" limbo we'd been stuck in for months and had a huge scene between Maleficent and some cloaked figure who asked to be called "Darkness." They discussed time travel and Maleficent's role in the entire series and all kinds of stuff. I was floored.

My personal theory is extremely stupid but I am sticking with it
    It's a corrupted version of Jiminy's journal in KH3, a Super Data Riku.

• masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular

I know the similarities of the thing the Book of Prophecies is capable of in UX and what happened in Re:coded is going to lead to some shit but i'm missing a piece of that puzzle

Simple & Clean

The fact that the game went from "all the Disney princesses are uh 'dancing' with their BF's. Good job!" for months to "Hey Maleficent, remember when that boy stabbed you (complete with KH1 render of when that happened) and then you time traveled to try to change your fate, but you haven't had much success? Well, I'm 'Darkness' and here's a secret for you to learn..." is so incredibly KH, it hurts.

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    I just remembered that 358/2 Days allows you to fight with Actual Pizzas when you're playing as Axel so I've decided it's actually the best one.

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    okay i finally best this and i don't understand a goddamned thing

but i did somehow baby's day out my way to the secret ending

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• ZythonZython Registered User regular

I beat the game on Proud mode, but didn't have enough pictures of lucky emblems, so I just watched it on Youtube. That would NOT have been worth doing the last boss again.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
    Simple & Clean
    Zython wrote: »

I beat the game on Proud mode, but didn't have enough pictures of lucky emblems, so I just watched it on Youtube. That would NOT have been worth doing the last boss again.

Apparently it appears in your theater when you do the requirements.

• ZythonZython Registered User regular
    Zython wrote: »

Apparently it appears in your theater when you do the requirements.

Huh...maybe I'll go look for those emblems after all.

Switch: SW-3245-5421-8042 | 3DS Friend Code: 4854-6465-0299 | PSN: Zaithon
    Steam: pazython
  • WybornWyborn GET EQUIPPED Registered User regular
    http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/886/1886230/

Apparently in this interview Nomura confirms DLC plans, the incoming Critical Mode, and some other things

There will be free DLC and paid DLC, with the intent that the "Final Mix" version of the game will have its equivalent in post-launch content

dN0T6ur.png
    edited February 2019
    Sanctuary
    edit MAN

Mr. G on
    6F32U1X.png
    Sanctuary
    Wyborn wrote: »
    http://dengekionline.com/elem/000/001/886/1886230/

Apparently in this interview Nomura confirms DLC plans, the incoming Critical Mode, and some other things

There will be free DLC and paid DLC, with the intent that the "Final Mix" version of the game will have its equivalent in post-launch content

That's from a few weeks ago yea?

Nomura said something along the lines of "there are not any big DLC plans as he wants to move on to his next game other than some small free stuff and then maybe somewhere down the line a final mix version but that is it"

And like... good. Keep it that way please good sir.

• MorivethMoriveth BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWN BREAKDOWNRegistered User regular
    No one should look that closely at Goofy.

Also I really gotta get around to finishing KH1. Fucking Ansem can eat my ass.

I guess maybe I'll do a little grinding tonight and get some better items/weapons.

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I can't believe I'm probably gonna read that whole fucking thing

IKknkhU.gif
  • StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Okay, so I finished reading the Sleeping Realm theory and maybe I missed something important, but I don't really know...what the purpose of this theory even is?
    So, like, the main point that the many pages of supporting evidence is trying to prop up is that Sora travels through time not once but twice. We don't actually see the first time he does it, because that's in the first try of KH3 that ends terribly, and he ends up starting over by going to a separate worldline where the prophecy of their fall doesn't exist. Then the second time is the one that we see directly following Sora saving everybody's hearts and depositing them all back in the KBG.

But, like, what does that solve, exactly? Most of the stuff that gets brought up as being "explained" by the theory either aren't that important or can be far more easily explained some other way (like only Goofy hearing Yenside say the guiding key line being a gag). And the actual big questions that remain unanswered (what was everyone looking at in the ending?) still remain unanswered.

Also, treating worldline travel the same as dropping into the Sleeping World seems wrong from what I recall? Like, the surviving cast of Union X are explicitly mentioned as having hopped worldines twice, and one of those worldlines is the same one that KH1 takes place in. So if hopping worldlines causes you to enter a Sleeping World, then the entirely of the story since KH1 (hell, since BBS) has already been in the Sleeping Realm, which makes no goddamn sense. And if it's not the same, then why in the world does the theory spend so much time trying to prove that KH3 as we played it takes place in the Sleeping Realm?

I just do not comprehend why this theory exists.

IKknkhU.gif
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    Okay, so I finished reading the Sleeping Realm theory and maybe I missed something important, but I don't really know...what the purpose of this theory even is?
    So, like, the main point that the many pages of supporting evidence is trying to prop up is that Sora travels through time not once but twice. We don't actually see the first time he does it, because that's in the first try of KH3 that ends terribly, and he ends up starting over by going to a separate worldline where the prophecy of their fall doesn't exist. Then the second time is the one that we see directly following Sora saving everybody's hearts and depositing them all back in the KBG.

But, like, what does that solve, exactly? Most of the stuff that gets brought up as being "explained" by the theory either aren't that important or can be far more easily explained some other way (like only Goofy hearing Yenside say the guiding key line being a gag). And the actual big questions that remain unanswered (what was everyone looking at in the ending?) still remain unanswered.

Also, treating worldline travel the same as dropping into the Sleeping World seems wrong from what I recall? Like, the surviving cast of Union X are explicitly mentioned as having hopped worldines twice, and one of those worldlines is the same one that KH1 takes place in. So if hopping worldlines causes you to enter a Sleeping World, then the entirely of the story since KH1 (hell, since BBS) has already been in the Sleeping Realm, which makes no goddamn sense. And if it's not the same, then why in the world does the theory spend so much time trying to prove that KH3 as we played it takes place in the Sleeping Realm?

I just do not comprehend why this theory exists.
    also, Sora jumping to a world where the prophecy doesn’t exist makes no sense. The Chi characters helping out is framed like Eraqus’s answer to Xehanort referencing the prophecy in their chess game. And Eraqus references that same exchange after Sora beats Xehanort. The prophecy not existing means that whole discussion doesn’t happen in the first place. That idea just doesn’t work. .

• Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    what

6vjsgrerts6r.png

Sanctuary
    Sora was indoctrinated

6F32U1X.png
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Maybe this is a hot take but if you write a 350 page fan theory for a game you 1)should probably take a step back and chill and 2) probably lost the plot and started huffing your own farts somewhere around page 20.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Sanctuary
    Kingdom Hearts is a lot of things, the least of all is "subtle"

if this was even close to the intention at least three characters would be screaming it

6F32U1X.png
  • ShabootyShabooty Registered User regular
    it's not like it's 350 pages with small text

the majority of those pages are in game screenshots

• NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Latest bit of Union X story is out in Japan. Spoilers:
    Lol of course Coded would end up being vitally important to understanding everything.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    This game would be so good if I wasn't fighting the camera so much

• LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

KH3 or one of the older ones? I didn't have issues with the camera in 3, but KH1 and 2 were basically Camera Issues: The Game.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    I'm working through the series and like

someone, is hte Riku route for Re: Chain of Memories shorter than the Sora Route?

like I have gotten used to the card battle system but oh god moving this to "Kingdom Hearts, but now you can run out of the ability to meaningfully fight, also we put bosses sometimes entirely out of the reach of your attacks" is kind of... [high pitched distressed sounds]

waNkm4k.jpg?1
  • NiryaNirya Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Lanz wrote: »
    I'm working through the series and like

someone, is hte Riku route for Re: Chain of Memories shorter than the Sora Route?

like I have gotten used to the card battle system but oh god moving this to "Kingdom Hearts, but now you can run out of the ability to meaningfully fight, also we put bosses sometimes entirely out of the reach of your attacks" is kind of... [high pitched distressed sounds]

The amount of levels are the same, but there isn’t the story in each world that Sora’s path has, which makes it a bit shorter.

The other tip I’d say from when I last played it is to not make as many combos unless absolutely necessary. There are enough 0s in Riku’s deck that you should use those to break large attacks, and just take your time with the fights.

t70pctuqq2uv.png
    3DS: 2981-5304-3227
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    i'm playing through this whole series for the first time and i haven't gotten to DDD or 3 yet but so far coded has the best story and it's not close

• Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    i'm playing through this whole series for the first time and i haven't gotten to DDD or 3 yet but so far coded has the best story and it's not close

This may be the most blazing hot KH take I've seen and I cannot wait for the article you write about it.

• Raijin QuickfootRaijin Quickfoot I'm your Huckleberry YOU'RE NO DAISYRegistered User, ClubPA regular
    LD50 wrote: »

KH3 or one of the older ones? I didn't have issues with the camera in 3, but KH1 and 2 were basically Camera Issues: The Game.

Its ALOT better than the first 2 but it's still a problem.

• LanzLanz ...Za?Registered User regular
    Also I am amused at the fact that all of these worlds are, as I thought the start of the game explained it, Sora's memories...

Except literally NOTHING LIKE THIS EVER HAPPENED IN KH1

waNkm4k.jpg?1