[Kingdom Hearts] Re:fund

1767778798082»

• Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Mr. G wrote: »
    It’s really just 358/2 Days, and just the “/2” part

If it was called “358 Days” it’d be easy

and also the fact that you're not supposed to read the title as it's written

it should really be (Three Five Eight Days)/2

• StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I honestly think “A Fragmentary Passage” is a great subtitle for what is essentially a tech-demo side story.

IKknkhU.gif
  • TamerBillTamerBill Registered User regular
    Stilts wrote: »
    I honestly think “A Fragmentary Passage” is a great subtitle for what is essentially a tech-demo side story.

The actual title is 'Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage', though, which does veer back into the word salad. Never mind that it's part of 'Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue'.

3DS Friend Code: 4828-4410-2451
  • turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    I cant ever say anything mean about KH titles cause they all lead up to the Kingdom Hearts II.9 title card at the start of KH3 and that shit was hilarious.

X22wmuF.jpg
    Speed RacerDemonStaceySirEtchwartsRorshach KringleshoeboxjeddyYaYaStiltsnever dieCururuLD50H0b0manDJ EebsRadius
  • Speed RacerSpeed Racer Scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratch scritch scratchRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    TamerBill wrote: »
    Stilts wrote: »

The actual title is 'Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birth by Sleep – A Fragmentary Passage', though, which does veer back into the word salad. Never mind that it's part of 'Kingdom Hearts HD 2.8 Final Chapter Prologue'.

Actually it's "Kingdom Hearts 0.2: Birthy By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-"

If it was just an em dash that would make a lot more sense

Okay, here's the official* ranking of Kingdom Hearts titles, from most to least sensible, not counting compilations.

Videogame Name Tier
    1. Kingdom Hearts / Kingdom Hearts II / Kingdom Hearts III
    2. Kingdom Hearts: Dark Road
    3. Kingdom Hearts: Chain of Memories

Idiosyncratic Tier
    4. Kingdom Hearts coded
    5. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (if pronounced Kingdom Hearts: 3 Ds)
    6. Kingdom Hearts Re:coded

Getting Silly Tier
    7. Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep
    8. Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance (if pronounced Kingdom Hearts: Dream Drop Distance)

Getting Really Silly Tier
    9. Kingdom Hearts: 358/2 Days
    10. Kingdom Hearts: 0.2 Birth By Sleep -A fragmentary passage-

Using The Greek Alphabet And Not Even Consistently Tier
    11. Kingdom Hearts: Union χ ( χ pronounced as 'cross')
    12. Kingdom Hearts: Unchained χ Back Cover (χ pronounced as 'chi')

• Golden YakGolden Yak Burnished Bovine The PIT, level 26Registered User regular
    Chain of Memories was fine, and also appropriate, because Sora was actually being bound up by memories that were restricting his emotions and actions. He was trapped by a metaphorical chain of actual memories. It's poetic.

'Birth by Sleep?' What does that even mean?
    'Dream Drop Distance?' I guess you drop into dreams, but what's the distance part for?
    'Three Five Eight Days Over Two?' Go fuck yourself.

H9f4bVe.png
  • shoeboxjeddyshoeboxjeddy Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Chain of Memories was fine, and also appropriate, because Sora was actually being bound up by memories that were restricting his emotions and actions. He was trapped by a metaphorical chain of actual memories. It's poetic.

'Dream Drop Distance?' I guess you drop into dreams, but what's the distance part for?
    'Three Five Eight Days Over Two?' Go fuck yourself.

Birth By Sleep: Ventus was put into a medically induced coma and two distinct personalities were born out of that. Births caused by sleeping. Shrug.

Dream Drop Distance: The worlds that the characters explore are Dream worlds. Similar to Inception, you enter them by dropping into a deeper level of the collective unconscious. The distance refers to how deep Sora is drawn into the cluster(f) by the end of the game.

358 Days/ 2: Roxas lives as a person with a body for 358 Days. Xion lives for a similar amount of time. It's divided by 2 because both of them are aspects of Sora in some way, the title is hinting at that plot twist.

Union Cross: It's about teams (called Unions) that are crossing (synonym for battling) in order to make the X Blade weapon.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    Golden Yak wrote: »
    Best shots I can give is that the Heartless-Ansem and Xemnas were born by Xehanort's memories 'going to sleep' inside Terra's body, leaving the researcher that'd create the original Ansem Reports in KH1. Castle Oblivion was also born by Ven being pretty much in a coma and Aqua needing someplace to hide him. Ven's heart hiding in Sora's at the same time would be in part why Roxas was born the way he looked.

• Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I swear “birth by sleep” was used as one of the lines for one of the secret movies or something, and not like a Final Mix thing cause I never played those

But when Birth By Sleep came out I remember my reaction was just “yes this title makes perfect sense to me”

6F32U1X.png
    Emerlmaster999
  • EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    “Birth By Sleep” is engrishy. A more accurate wording, goibg with the secret ending, would be “release from sleep”. But that wouldn’t make a funny acronym to “BBS”.

To keep the acronym for Dream Drop Distance, it couldve been “Dream Dive Depth”. I think I prefer “dive” for the idea of falling deeper and deeper into dreams.

YggiDee wrote: »
    Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
  • JimothyJimothy Not in front of the fox he's with the owlRegistered User regular
    I’ve never played a Kingdom Hearts but I love Square and their bonkers titles, I genuinely wish more stuff had unintuitive title schemes

Kamen Rider dips into that where W is pronounced Double, OOO is pronounced O’s, and Cross-Z is just “cross”

It seems to only exist in Japan though, imagine an American marketing executive proposing this stuff

• SirEtchwartsSirEtchwarts KABOOM Splooooosh...Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Dream Drop Distance is the title because they thought it would be funny to be able to call the 3DS game "Kingdom Hearts: 3D"

And they were right

turtleantCururu
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    But they missed the opportunity to reuse deep dive. Dream Deep Dive? Deep Dive Dream?

• Mojo_JojoMojo_Jojo Like a bad lobster in a dark cellar Registered User regular
    Dream Drop Distance is the title because they thought it would be funny to be able to call the 3DS game "Kingdom Hearts: 3D"

And they were right

That was just the standard naming scheme for 3DS games at the time

Homogeneous distribution of your varieties of amuse-gueule
    Mojo_Jojo wrote: »

And they were right

That was just the standard naming scheme for 3DS games at the time

Nah, the standard 3DS naming scheme was just 'Whatever Whatever 3D'. It was DS games that did the cutesy initials thing. See Dual Strike, Dawn of Sorrow, Double Smash, Digging Strike, Dark Souls, Dual Sympathy, Deadly Silence etc etc.

Jimothy
    There was Kirby Triple Deluxe.

Having teenaged RPG leads is really cool until you stop being a teenager yourself. Do you remember being seventeen? You're a dumbass at seventeen! I wanna be saved by the guy who's twenty-seven. He's at least payed taxes. He knows how to do shit. He can drive.
    Kupi
  • The WolfmanThe Wolfman Registered User regular
    Enlong wrote: »

Triple Deluxe

Deluxe Deluxe Deluxe

3 D's

That is some mastercraft theme naming there.

"The sausage of Green Earth explodes with flavor like the cannon of culinary delight."
    PSN: TheWolfman64 3DS/Pokemon Y: 0774-4614-4065/NNID: the_wolfman64
    LD50
    Enlong wrote: »

Triple Deluxe

Deluxe Deluxe Deluxe

3 D's

That is some mastercraft theme naming there.

Also, and I can’t believe I just realized this, the game’s story features King Dedede as a more important character than usual, up to having him as the bonus speeddrun character instead of Meta Knight.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    edited April 7
    I've been spending the last few days researching Kingdom Hearts lore and watching cutscenes from the games despite only ever playing KH and KHII.

I adore how this franchise that prominently features Disney childrens' properties ended up having a plot that features a villain who possesses a guy, impersonates another guy, splits himself and the guy he's possessing into two different guys, gets some other guy to make clone bodies for himself, reforms as his original self after his split selves are destroyed, tries to turn other guys into further clones of himself, and teams up with his time traveling younger self to bring three other versions of himself into the present in clone bodies. And this is just one aspect of the plot!

Also, where the hell is Sora's mom???

Hexmage-PA on
    Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock
  • LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Hexmage-PA wrote: »
    I've been spending the last few days researching Kingdom Hearts lore and watching cutscenes from the games despite only ever playing KH and KHII.

I adore how this franchise that prominently features Disney childrens' properties ended up having a plot that features a villain who possesses a guy, impersonates another guy, splits himself and the guy he's possessing into two different guys, gets some other guy to make clone bodies for himself, reforms as his original self after his split selves are destroyed, tries to turn other guys into further clones of himself, and teams up with his time traveling younger self to bring three other versions of himself into the present in clone bodies. And this is just one aspect of the plot!

Also, where the hell is Sora's mom???

She died and turned into a shadow.

• OwenashiOwenashi Registered User regular
    For those that have a XB1, the Kingdom Hearts pre-III bundles are at 20 bucks each at the moment. A good time to pick them up if the 50 and 60 dollar price-tags kept you away before.

• Hexmage-PAHexmage-PA Registered User regular
    So after bingeing on a ton of KH lore I'm suddenly very interested in this Yozora fellow and theories around him.

Friend Code: 1590-5696-7916
    Friend Safari Type: Rock