As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Moth 13Moth 13 Registered User regular
    Mr. G wrote: »
    I looked up the Master of Masters and boy I hope there's a reveal of what they actually look like cause I'm getting real tired of the Organization coat

I am so glad (stuff from latest KH3 trailer)
    the Xehanorts all get into cool new armor for what looks like the final battle because yeah, those coats have worn out their welcome.

• Options
    initiatefailureinitiatefailure Registered User regular
    All right. 0.2 is done. Now I am ready. For this nonsense to be pumped straight into my veins.

• Options
    LD50LD50 Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    My favorite thing in this game is how Maleficent is just too goddamn evil to be corrupted by darkness.

• Options
    NeveronNeveron HellValleySkyTree SwedenRegistered User regular
    SimBen wrote: »
    Viskod wrote: »
    Its Kingdom Hearts the story is literally whatever from second to second. They can go anywhere and do anything at any instant. We can think its coming to a close and then SUDDENLY! ALL OF THIS STUFF! and then 20 more years of games.

Wow, as much as one new game huh

kingdom hearts 3 is actually kingdom hearts 9ish

I think

so 20 years of story would be ten or so new games, perhaps

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Neveron wrote: »
    Its Kingdom Hearts the story is literally whatever from second to second. They can go anywhere and do anything at any instant. We can think its coming to a close and then SUDDENLY! ALL OF THIS STUFF! and then 20 more years of games.

I think

Chi, BBS, KH1, CoM, Days, KH2, Coded, 3D, KH3.

The math checks out, and that's skipping over A Fragmentary Passage too.

• Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Well, Maleficent is THE TRUUUUUUUUEEE DARRRKNESSSS (tm).

sig.gif
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I like how she’s such a supernaturally evil force that just remembering she ever existed was enough for her to crawl back out of Hell, none the worse for wear. Fairies, man...

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Pete is either going to talk Malificent into grudgingly helping team Sora in this game or will betray her to save them at some point in KH3, I guarantee.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Didn't she already help save the world in KH2?

• Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Yeah but I don't remember if she was aware she was helping Sora there or not. She wasn't a fan of Org.13 in that game.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    turtleant wrote: »
    Yeah but I don't remember if she was aware she was helping Sora there or not. She wasn't a fan of Org.13 in that game.

She creates a firewall to protect Sora and Co. from the Nobodies and creates a portal to help them escape

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    She very intentionally fights off a bunch of Heartless to let Sora go after Xemnas.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    It was a "But really, fuck that guy." scenario.

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary

I think

Yea but there's a very clear difference between the mainline games and most of the other games.

They put important bits of the story in there but almost all of those are smaller games with alternate playstyles and game systems and clearly much smaller budgets.

So it's easy to see the separation between those and the mainline games.

• Options
    Sanctuary

I think

Yea but there's a very clear difference between the mainline games and most of the other games.

They put important bits of the story in there but almost all of those are smaller games with alternate playstyles and game systems and clearly much smaller budgets.

BBS and 3D were full KH games.

• Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I hate you YouTube and your stupid algorithm. I better avoid it for like 3 weeks because KH3 spoilers are starting to invade my timeline.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    ViskodViskod Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    I've only played 1, 2, and part of BBS. Does Maleficent ever reach the villain heights she had in 1? It seems like they put her on the backburner of villany with Pete and she's just "there" but not really a threat to anyone.

• Options
    SimBenSimBen Hodor? Hodor Hodor.Registered User regular
    Sanctuary

I think

I was using hyperbole, but if you don't count 0.2 or X (chi? ki?) it HAS been 7 years since the last one.

I'm sure we're not at the end of mobile games, but there's like... no handheld consoles anymore. There's the Switch but, practically, it's not being treated like a handheld by mainstream publishers.

I could maybe see the next game come out at like, the tail end of next generation. In 9 years or so.

I could also see Tetsuya Nomura deciding he's done and future games being handled by other people.

sig.gif
  • Options
    lionheart_mlionheart_m Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I would love DDD to appear on the Switch.

3DS: 5069-4122-2826 / WiiU: Lionheart-m / PSN: lionheart_m / Steam: lionheart_jg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I've only played 1, 2, and part of BBS. Does Maleficent ever reach the villain heights she had in 1? It seems like they put her on the backburner of villany with Pete and she's just "there" but not really a threat to anyone.

Maleficent and Pete in KH2 are very much Rita Repulsa and Goldar and I love it. Which makes Organization XIII the Machine Empire, for those following along.

Though I like less that they sidelined every other Disney villain, only having Hades and Oogie Boogie show up in their respective levels as a local boss (and Ursula for a song), and having Agrabah being all about how Jafar coming back would be bad but you don't actually even see Jafar.

sig.gif
  • Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Nomura could always take a break from KH to give us the World Ends With You sequel that keeps getting hinted at

...Yeah i don't really believe that one either

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Mobile devices are powerful enough that you can make those handheld games for iOS and Android now

also please let Nomura go cause I would like these games to not take 9 years apiece

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I would love DDD to appear on the Switch.

I would not in the slightest be surprised to see the complete collection at least and maybe a KH3 port show up on the Switch in a year or so.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I'm trying to think of what I consider the "Kingdom Hearts traditions" (at least for the console games) that I would be disappointed to not see in 3

- core Final Fantasy crew of Squall, Yuffie, Aeris, Cid, and Cloud
    - completely nonviolent Hundred-Acre Wood world
    - optional Sephiroth boss fight
    - nobody tells Sora anything he needs to know until well after it would've been useful
    - Axel dies

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Olympus Colisseum fights

• Options
    EtchwartsEtchwarts Eyes Up Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    But most importantly, having Danny DeVito tell you in no uncertain terms that you're not a real hero

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I'm trying to think of what I consider the "Kingdom Hearts traditions" (at least for the console games) that I would be disappointed to not see in 3

- core Final Fantasy crew of Squall, Yuffie, Aeris, Cid, and Cloud
    - completely nonviolent Hundred-Acre Wood world
    - optional Sephiroth boss fight
    - nobody tells Sora anything he needs to know until well after it would've been useful
    - Axel dies

Don't forget incredibly awkward comic relief, somebody saying "Sora, Donald, Goofy!" once per world, and *rolls dice* Vanellope takes a god damn sword through the gut

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Also some kind of weird combat sport with other kids your age, can't forget the combat sports

• Options
    Sanctuary
    But most importantly, having Danny DeVito tell you in no uncertain terms that you're not a real hero

ooh can't forget "being real uncomfortable with how much you're enjoying James Woods' performance"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    also everybody wants you to skateboard

sig.gif
  • Options
    SorceSorce Not ThereRegistered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Also some kind of weird combat sport with other kids your age, can't forget the combat sports
    I think we'll probably get some hybrid of this in KH3.

sig.gif
  • Options

Maleficent and Pete in KH2 are very much Rita Repulsa and Goldar and I love it. Which makes Organization XIII the Machine Empire, for those following along.

Though I like less that they sidelined every other Disney villain, only having Hades and Oogie Boogie show up in their respective levels as a local boss (and Ursula for a song), and having Agrabah being all about how Jafar coming back would be bad but you don't actually even see Jafar.

Yes you do. I can’t remember if it’s the first run or the revisit, but Genie Jafar is the final boss of Agrabah in KH2.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Sorce wrote: »

I would welcome that! I think the skateboarding in 2 is perfectly serviceable and even kind of fun!

• Options
    DemonStaceyDemonStacey TTODewback's Daughter In love with the TaySwayRegistered User regular
    Sanctuary
    LD50 wrote: »

I think

BBS and 3D were full KH games.

I did say most specifically for that reason!

That said before they had regular console releases the fact that they were on portable systems lessened even their impact for many.

I played 3D on portable and wish I had just waited for the inevitable console version because it really detracted from the experience and made the game still not really feel like a full game.

And even on a console I'd say it's still a much smaller experience then the mainline games. So maybe it's like .75 of a full KH game.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

Yes you do. I can’t remember if it’s the first run or the revisit, but Genie Jafar is the final boss of Agrabah in KH2.

Oh I forgot there's a revisit later on. I'm up to the first visit to Halloween Town (I made it 99% of the way through the game about 8 years ago).

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Sorce wrote: »

I would welcome that! I think the skateboarding in 2 is perfectly serviceable and even kind of fun!

I think the only saving grace of the skateboarding is that the Jiminy objectives for it are really easy.

sig.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    the handheld games have been able to recreate the feel of KH1, but they don't come close to 2

both Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance feel like steps down from 2, and while they're certainly better than 1, they don't come close to the feel of 2 for me

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    the handheld games have been able to recreate the feel of KH1, but they don't come close to 2

both Birth By Sleep and Dream Drop Distance feel like steps down from 2, and while they're certainly better than 1, they don't come close to the feel of 2 for me

I think 2 has the worst gameplay of all the games, so this is a good thing. I don't think any of the games have topped BBS for me gameplay-wise.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Here is a question:

Why does 3D restrict what I can name my Dream Eaters? The game isn't even online.

• Options
    LD50 wrote: »
    Here is a question:

Why does 3D restrict what I can name my Dream Eaters? The game isn't even online.

Just a guess, but the 3DS version has a feature where you can use Streetpass to leave special portals for other players. I think your names are used there?