As was foretold, we've added advertisements to the forums! If you have questions, or if you encounter any bugs, please visit this thread: https://forums.penny-arcade.com/discussion/240191/forum-advertisement-faq-and-reports-thread/
Options

[Kingdom Hearts] Melody of Melancholy

• Options
    Mr. GMr. G Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Good to see Ventus' story follows up on the most important hanging thread from Terra's

I knew I saw Scrooge McDuck in Radiant Garden before

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    UnbreakableVowUnbreakableVow Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I still don't understand melding

Like, my Cure is level 3. Should be good for melding, right?

But it's greyed out and won't let me select it on the meld menu. Someone said that was the way to get Cura/Curaga though, right?

• Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Mr. G wrote: »
    Good to see Ventus' story follows up on the most important hanging thread from Terra's

I knew I saw Scrooge McDuck in Radiant Garden before

Get yourself some sea salt ice cream

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    EnlongEnlong Registered User regular
    I still don't understand melding

Like, my Cure is level 3. Should be good for melding, right?

But it's greyed out and won't let me select it on the meld menu. Someone said that was the way to get Cura/Curaga though, right?

You need another command to meld it with. For example, one of the recipes for Cura is two Cure commands.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Ice Cream Beat is an acceptable apology for the Little Mermaid rhythm games in KH2

• Options
    LockedOnTargetLockedOnTarget Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    If it's greyed out that means that none of the other commands you have can meld with it.

• Options
    Ice Cream Beat is an acceptable apology for the Little Mermaid rhythm games in KH2

I always hear people talk about how bad and hard it is, to the point of calling it a significant obstacle to clearing Ventus's story. But I always found it to be pretty nice. Sure, mastering the hard mode maps for prizes gets tough, but not so much the song needed for the story mode.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Enlong wrote: »

I always hear people talk about how bad and hard it is, to the point of calling it a significant obstacle to clearing Ventus's story. But I always found it to be pretty nice. Sure, mastering the hard mode maps for prizes gets tough, but not so much the song needed for the story mode.

Oh you have to do it as Ventus?

I did it as Terra and already got the Trophy for getting a fantastic rating on every song so I should be good!

I just did the race, it was abysmal but only took two tries

Fruitball is also really bad

• Options
    JavenJaven Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    There are 3 mini games in that world, and each character has a different mini game that is mandatory to progressing the story

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    fruitball was the worst for me, like by a significant margin

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    RadiusRadius Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    The other two are just bad, Fruitball feels like RNG.

Everyday we stray further from God's light
    Steam Switch FC: 2799-7909-4852
  • Options
    DragkoniasDragkonias That Guy Who Does Stuff You Know, There. Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Never did finish BBS. Combat was fun, if not a bit grindy if you wanted the good stuff, but you could very much tell you were playing a handheld game with how the worlds were set up.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Dragkonias wrote: »
    Never did finish BBS. Combat was fun, if not a bit grindy if you wanted the good stuff, but you could very much tell you were playing a handheld game with how the worlds were set up.

I love KH2, but I'm much preferring this setup of "okay doing each world with each character for a total of three small trips" compared to KH2's "you're gonna have two lengthy trips to each world (and the second time there you'll lock the keyhole)"

It's really snappy pacing

• Options
    One thing I like about the 3-character setup in BBS is that each character visits different areas within the world. There's some overlap, but no two characters have the exact same map to explore.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Ventus seems way weaker than Terra and it's making it kinda difficult even on Easy

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Ventus seems way weaker than Terra and it's making it kinda difficult even on Easy

Yeah, Terra is the big, tough bruiser character. Ventus is a lot more mobile, but as the weakest of the three you're definitely gonna feel the power decrease early on.

I know for me the first boss for him was infuriatingly difficult.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I have only just now realized what the deal is with several of the NPCs in Birth By Sleep and I feel very stupid

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    Got it memorized now?

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I failed a couple times on the "countless Unversed" thing in Never Land before I realized, oh yeah, there was some Panzer Dragoon type thing from the tutorial that I never used

• Options
    Sanctuary
    turtleant wrote: »
    Got it memorized now?

I haven't run into him yet but I'll be very happy when I do

I was just going "huh this Braig guy seems very familiar but I bet I saw him from some teaser trailer"

"huh, these two guards at this castle are...oh wait I see what's up"

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    Finished Terra's story

That was uh

That was something?

Guess I have to do the other scenarios to make any real sense out of what happened there
    Xehanort takes over Terra's body, but my mind was able to resist and beat him somehow? And then there was a big engulfing ball of light and the clouds that showed Kingdom Hearts (? The heart moon right?) closed and that's it? Uh, alright

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Much like Nier Automata, it seems like none of the endings are particularly satisfying until you see all the endings

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I feel like I'm missing something

I'm a few worlds away from finishing Ventus' story and he still feels really weak

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sir PlatypusSir Platypus Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Peter Pan looks like such a jerk in these games

maxresdefault.jpg

look at that guy

he just looks annoying

I kinda relished the opportunity for Terra to show him what for

Team Captain Hook

I loved Peter Pan when I was a kid, and kinda dislike him as an adult.

Which I guess makes some sense.

• Options
    DaebunzDaebunz Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    I feel like I'm missing something

I'm a few worlds away from finishing Ventus' story and he still feels really weak

no I'm pretty sure he's just shit, was my impression when I played the game like a month ago

7yh4xczljsym.png
  • Options
    edited August 2017
    The characters in BBS start to particularly shine when you can get some of their unique commands or use their second-tier command styles. For Ven, that's stuff like Wind Raid, Ars Arcanum, Faith, Salvation, Tornado, and Tornado Strike. And if you can pack your deck with the right commands, the Wingblade command style can put out some nice damage.

I think you can get Tornado Strike for free at Maleficent's Castle after you get Glide. And you can get Superglide at Disney Town by using Glide. But I prefer to meld Glide with Firaga for Fire Glide.

Oh, and a useful tip for all 3 characters. Buy a second copy of Block (or Barrier, for Aqua), and you can combine a mastered copy of Block with a mastered Curaga to make a guard command that heals you when you block hits. Very strong tool for the harder boss fights.

Enlong on
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    He's considered to be much better in proud and critical mode when enemies are much more dangerous. On easier difficulties when you don't really care if you get hit, that extra agility is basically meaningless

• Options
    Sanctuary
    Mini is saving my ass in the remainder of Ventus' story

He does like no damage but running over people with Mini does huge damage

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    turtleantturtleant Gunpla Dad is the best.Registered User regular
    All the status effects in BBS are real good for normal enemies.

X22wmuF.jpg
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    I'm nearing the end of Ventus' story and there's one thing I kinda didn't realize about this game that I find interesting

I had heard this was a prequel to the series that sets everything up and also was somehow related to the "Keyblade War"

and once I got past how silly that phrase sounds I just sorta assumed it was set during that war, and it laid the ground for everything dealt with in the main games

Now I see that that was actually way long ago and this game is only a few years earlier, which now sorta reframes the entire series as this post-utopian thing where everyone is just fighting for scraps

There used to be a thousand keyblade folks, now we're lucky to get like, five

There was this whole grand order with official training, now there's one guy in a tower in the middle of nowhere

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    StiltsStilts Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    Yeah, the worldbuilding is maybe the thing I love most about BBS (narrowly edging out Aqua's personality and Nimoy hamming it up as Xehanort)

It's the very Jedi-esque thing where there used to be tons of these intergalactic guardians, and now they barely exist and are clinging on to survival

Also, I think the mobile game (Kingdom Hearts Unchained X) takes place soon before the Keyblade War erupts, back when there were so many Keyblade users that they had, like, five different orders they grouped themselves into, Harry Potter-style.

IKknkhU.gif
  • Options
    Simple & Clean
    I'm nearing the end of Ventus' story and there's one thing I kinda didn't realize about this game that I find interesting

I had heard this was a prequel to the series that sets everything up and also was somehow related to the "Keyblade War"

and once I got past how silly that phrase sounds I just sorta assumed it was set during that war, and it laid the ground for everything dealt with in the main games

Now I see that that was actually way long ago and this game is only a few years earlier, which now sorta reframes the entire series as this post-utopian thing where everyone is just fighting for scraps

There used to be a thousand keyblade folks, now we're lucky to get like, five

There was this whole grand order with official training, now there's one guy in a tower in the middle of nowhere

Yeah, it's very "Star Wars original trilogy jedi" in that there used to be a time when they were everywhere, and now they've pretty much passed into myth.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    You can't do a Star Wars world in KH3 because Kingdom Hearts is already Star Wars

This even does the Palpatine thing of Obvious Evil Man Manipulates Stupid Boy Into Doing Everything For Him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Sanctuary
    You can't do a Star Wars world in KH3 because Kingdom Hearts is already Star Wars

This even does the Palpatine thing of Obvious Evil Man Manipulates Stupid Boy Into Doing Everything For Him

Yes for real

And I loved it

I half-expected Xehanort to just be like "take your Keyblade weapon. I am unarmed."

Also Xehanort sounds great, I didn't know it was Leonard Nimoy until someone in here mentioned it

• Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    all this talk is literally the first time i ever considered playing birth by sleep

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    masterofmetroidmasterofmetroid Have you ever looked at a world and seen it as a kind of challenge?Registered User regular
    Counterpoint

What if the Force and Keyblade use is explicitly connected as merely a different type of expression of the same power source filtered through the laws of each reality

And as soon as Sora steps into Star Wars world he's a really powerful Jedi

• Options
    PerrsunPerrsun Registered User regular
    Sanctuary
    Counterpoint

What if the Force and Keyblade use is explicitly connected as merely a different type of expression of the same power source filtered through the laws of each reality

And as soon as Sora steps into Star Wars world he's a really powerful Jedi

So keyblade use isn't tied to purity of heart, but rather some kind of biological midikeylian count?

Nah.

• Options
    Sanctuary
    all this talk is literally the first time i ever considered playing birth by sleep

I refuse to believe we live in the world where you have not experienced Leonard Nimoy hamming it the hell up as a JRPG Palpatine who is the most obviously evil man alive and nobody realizes it until near the end of the game

maxresdefault.jpg

People look at that guy and confide in him

6F32U1X.png
  • Options
    Rorshach KringleRorshach Kringle that crustache life Registered User regular
    Simple & Clean
    do i look like the kinda chump what buysa psp??

6vjsgrerts6r.png

• Options
    Sanctuary
    I overwrote my Ventus complete save...

Guess I'm watching the epilogue on YouTube now

6F32U1X.png